Territorial Reserve Oak Aged Imperial Stout - Coop Ale Works

Territorial Reserve Oak Aged Imperial StoutTerritorial Reserve Oak Aged Imperial Stout

Coop Ale Works visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: webbcreative on 12-04-2009

This imperial recipe begins with a big, rich stout packed with chocolate and coffee malts as well as oatmeal, and ends after a very generous hop addition. A portion of the brew was then aged in Templeton Rye whiskey barrels and the remainder was aged in our cellar. Before sending out the 2010 vintage, the two were blended for the perfect winter warmer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.73/5  rDev -9%

Pours a reddish brown ith lots of light tan head. Looks pretty solid.
Smells boozy and oaky. A nice roastiness on the nose. Tastes sweet and chocolatey. The vanilla and oak characteristics are pretty nice but then... The booze hits... Ouch!
Harsh alcohol hits hard. :(
Overall.. Dmn there is o way this is 9% (308 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Big thanks to injuredreserve for sharing!

Pours big and black, with a nice mocha colored finger of head that laces nicely. Swirling brings back that nice creamy head.

Aroma is rather complex... Big initial oak, vanilla and bourbon, but plenty chocolate and dry cocoa, big roasted malts and booze soaked dark fruits.

Lot's of chocolate covered dark fruits, vanilla and a nice oaky barrel note. Some bourbon, and chocolate with a dry cocoa powder finish.

It's not full bodied, more medium bodied, but creamy.

Great, surprise hit of the night! More please :) (565 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -27.8%

A: The beer pours a dark brown, almost black, color with a tan head on it.

S: Smells quite roasty with lots of acrid coffee notes. A bit of espresso and dark chocolate along with green apple and a mild tannic oakiness. Some definite booziness, too.

T: The flavor isn't much better, unfortunately. Slightly sour with lots of booze and roasted malt. Just a little bit of coffee and oak, maybe a touch of vanilla. Some sweet dark fruit notes (raisins?) are also there.

M: Medium bodied with a low to medium carbonation.

O: Not that I ever really ever have too much faith in beers from Oklahoma, but this was a let down. (620 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle shared by Mark – thanks!

Pours black with a light tan head that leaves decent lacing.

Smells of lightly roasted malts with large amounts of vanilla and oak. Also present are lighter amounts of dark chocolate and molasses.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though not as complex. Smooth roasted malts up front are joined quickly by boozy sweetness consistent of dark molasses and vanilla. Midway through the flavor profile turns slightly more bitter with the addition of semi-sweet chocolate that carries through to a mildly bitter ending. Mouthfeel is good, with smooth carbonation.

Overall this was a solid beer for the style that wasn’t overdone in any aspect. Well worth a shot. (695 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Thank you ThirstyHerf for your generocity. Got this from his LIF.

A- pours from the 750ml bottle very dark, almost black into my snifter. Pitch black in my glass with a 1 finger mocha brown head that had about medium head retention and little lacing.

S- can smell it from the pour. Nice barrel notes like alcohol heat and subtle vanilla accompany the heavy sweet malt. Nice smell. Big boozy kick

T- very nice. Off the bat its very nicely rounded. Not one thing stands but is very complex. Charred malt gives a sweet and smoky taste that has a nice alcohol bite that doesnt feel hot in the least. Some hops and dark fruit like raisins prunes come along for the ride too. Really nice.

M- feels thinner than expected but is medium, medium heavy. Very low to no carbonation makes this a very nice feeling brew and nice to drink.

O- great beer. Very well rounded taste that os complex but not over the top. I like very bold beers but there is no way to jot enjoy this guy. I wish I had more.. (992 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Based on this years itteration, I will bump up the smell & mouthfeel & appearanxe, plus overall. Much more oak, vanilla & bourbon presence, thicker mmoyth feel & appearance. This in the top 3 of Beers made in state...

Bottle 245/612 pours an effervescent ebony with a 2 fingers of rich brown head. Nice viscious look to this, a bit of lacing & head retention

S: Much dark fruit & vanilla up front. The nose kind of runs out of gas as it warms up

T: Follows the nose, some nice choclate & oaky notes up front. Dryness, slight boozey heat, dark cherry, raisin & vanilla are all working together as this warms, along with a touch of licorice. Finishes with a touch of smokeyness, vanilla, toffee, cherry, a kiss of tobacco

MF: Medium bodied, fairly firm carbonation & pretty warming, slight oilyness as well

This is a very good IMP stout that fails to hit the correct notes on smell & mouth feel. I will happily buy more if given the chance I am sure this vintage/beer has years of great enjoyment ahead for those lucky enough to stock up. Coop has hit at least a triple with this one! (1,088 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Last but not Least in a tasting with a
friend from the Corkscrew.
Bottle # 564/612 total bottles in the state
750 -> Hennepin Glass

A ~ COULD not see through this one at all. Nice 1/2 dark chocolate head that dissipates into a perfectly formed Spider-Web head.

S ~ Red Wine Grapes, Bourbon sweetness, Heavily roasted grains, Blackberry jam, Rain-Soaked Oak.

T ~ WOO! Intense. Cocoa powder, Prune, Salted charred beef, Grenache, and heavy wood on the forefront. . .Molasses and fades into smoke which fades into huckleberry compote. . . finishes semi-dry with green beans, butter, brown sugar, pork belly, ancho chile, dark rye bread & a twinge of vanilla

M ~ Tightly and subtly carbonated (great for this style), with a very intense palatte of smoke, wood, berries, fruits, scorched earth, and meats. Fantastic.
So dry and savory it is almost scary. Smokey in a way where it is enjoyable rather than forced.

D ~ I want to take consecutive sips because I get different notes everytime! This is very complex and refined..I hope they continue releasing this every year. I have one more bottle that I am hoping to save until my son's first birthday around Christmas time...but who knows what will happen til then!
Very limited,
Must have. (1,245 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

The crux of reviewing a hyped up beer like this is that you continuously question whether or not you're falling for the verbal bling from the grapevine of marketing subgenius, or if you are truly providing a well thought out and unbiased review. Add the fact that it comes from a local brewery who you are quite fond of, and that its a very limited release of 612 bottles, and you've got yourself a helluva challenge on your hands.

So before I ruin the experience by obsessing over the finer points of my mostly inconsequential and solipsistic BA reviews, I'm gonna pop this bad boy and see what's under the hood.

For some unknown reason my favorite glass for Imperial Stouts is the SA Specialty, so into that noble chalice it pours an impenetrable black, and I beseech you, who would settle for less? One-finger of bubbly froth drops quickly to a smallish dark tan head before settling into short, thin stripes of lace around the circumference. A bigger head would have been optimal . . . (insert "she-said" joke here).

Deep and rich sweet malts float to the nose, followed by roasted almonds, black licorice, faint ripe plums and a distant whiff of hops.

A palate pleasing sweet caramel is noticed initially, followed by a prolific whiskey barrel character, some maple syrup, and fine hop notes which would have been sorely missed otherwise. Not as complex as many Imperial Stouts, but no less bold and satisfying to the tongue. I'm sure I could pull other notes from the depths, but consider me satisfied with the taste as is without delving too deeply.

Alcohol heat is noticeable, but complimentary, and the brew lies more toward heavy on the mouth than medium. Super-smooth and without a rough edge to be felt.

I can say without reservation that this is the best Oklahoma beer I've tried, and I've had tried a few stellar ones (can anyone say Choc Dubbel or Big Jamoke?) I also have a feeling this is just the beginning of many more great works from Coop. I also have a premonition that this beer signifies a transition to a new level of brew-making for all of Oklahoma's fine breweries, and I am very thirsty for the future.

How's all that for hyperbole bitchez? (2,179 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +14.4%

Pleasantly surprised with this one. From the moment you open the bottle you can smell the flavor in it's aroma. The only downfall was it's lack of carbonation, but I still managed to get a fair head out of my pour. It's not too thick of a drink, but it is fortified with loads of flavor from that barrel aging process! It is a 9% ABV bottle, but you'd never guess it as you take a drink from your glass... For those of you who have had other imperial stouts, and can appreciate one so flavorful: I'd say this one gives some of the best a run for their money! Definitely worth at least trying! (592 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Out of a 750ml bottle and into the Lost Abbey teku glass.

A- Definite dark as they get. A black beer with a dark dark dark brown outer layer. I don't see any light penetrating this brew. 2 finger mocha head. Goes away after a couple minutes. Lacing is there, but not too sticky.

S- Bourbon, vanilla, and oak. Nice tones of chocolate and malts. A faint char or burn.

T- Outstanding. Warm alcohol, but not dominating. A great charred oak that bites the tongue and says "here I am!" but its not overwhelming at all. Great rye flavor and subtle chocolate. Vanilla and roasted espresso undertones. Not too aggressive, but its definitely strong.

M- Mouthfeel is light for me, but the alcohol is warm and makes up for it. Nice bitterness in the finish. Low carbonation, but it doesn't seem syrupy at all. I wish it was a little thicker, but this is still pretty good none-the-less.

O- Well played, Coop. Well played. Excellent brew. Glad I picked up a few. (954 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Had this on tap in Oklahoma City's Republic Gastro pub (great food, great beer selection here!).

A - Deep dark, tan head that laced nicely on the sides of the glass.

S - Roasted malt goodnesss.

T - Very sweet and malty, nice roast, not burnt at all, and nice hints of oak, not overwhelmingly oaky (which is a good thing to me). Some oak aged are too heavy on the oak, but this is very nicely balanced.

M - Very smooth, nice and thick.

O - Really enjoyed sippin' on this. It took a while to get through it, it is a big beer, but the flavor is fantastic. It is on the sweet side, which I personally enjoy, but for some it may be a bit much. Reminded me a lot of Surly's Darkness (big compliment). Really nice job here Coop! Highly recommend. (744 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

This is a review of the 2010 release of COOP Ale Works Territorial Oak Aged Imperial Stout. This beer pours black with a dark tan head. Initial nose gives chocolate, hints of rye and cherry and a small amount of vanilla. The vanilla notes are ever so slight and are quickly covered by the roasted malts.

The initial taste is strong of roasted malt, but quickly fades revealing the attributes of the Rye it was aged on, the Rye is ever so slight, mostly in the nose and not offensively strong at all. At warmer temps the vanilla, and cherry kick in. The mouth on the beer is good, I'd like to see it maybe a bit thicker, but it certainly is good as is.

This is a great winter evening beer while talking with friends. The 10% ABV is well masked by all the flavors and nose. This is a limited release form COOP Ale Works out of OKC, if in the area please give it a try it will be gone very soon. (894 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -31.2%

A: Pours a nice dark black with a very thin mocha head. No real retention or lace.

S: Loads of rich sweet molassess, hints of cane sugar, candied figs, and sweet chocolate.

T: Holy sweetness this one is packed with sugar. Like drinking pure molasses. Sugary sweet with mild notes of sweet vanilla. A little dark fruit (sun sweet raisin), and a touch of oak.

M: Mild carbonation, but a sweet mess overall.

D: Not drinkable, the most cloyingly sweet stout I have ever come across. (482 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Poured a black color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of roasted malt that give off chocolate and coffee scents the barrel aging scents are pretty mild but theres still some bourbon that comes out in the nose

T - This is how I like barrel aged beers to taste it follows the nose roasted malt upfront then the bourbon flavors compliment the beer nicely not overpower it excellent

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - This beer was outstanding I shouldn't have shared it with others I could have killed the bomber myself without issues this stuff is good the next release needs to make its way to Houston (655 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

A little late reviewing this and going from notes I wrote down about a month ago. Knocked this one out at McNellie's in Tulsa during a break from some funeral-related goings-on that weekend.

This pours a completely opaque black; I couldn't get any light transmitted through it at all. Quite an imposing looking pint. Not much head, a skinny finger's worth of caramel-colored foam that disappeared quickly, leaving some pretty heavy lacing.

Roasted barley character dominates the nose, with hints of chocolate and oak (maybe even red wine tannins - did they use wine barrels to age this stuff?). At any rate, quite a pleasing aroma. I wish the barmaid would have poured this thing properly so it had really opened up for me.

Taste-wise, it was as the smell portended - rich and roasty with just a tickle of hops to keep things lively. I did not have this pegged as a 9%-er as there was no discernable alcohol taste at all. That earns a kudos from me as I'm not a lover of liquor-tasting beer, although I'm too much of a neophyte to know if that means this was too weak for the style. I was pretty wobbly walking out of there, so I guess the 9% explains that much.

Overall, a pleasant way to kill an hour and I'll keep an eye out for this stuff next time I'm through OK. (1,272 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Again, my apologies for my lacking of beer reviewing talent... I had this last weekend at the Prohibition Room and was really impressed with it. If it's 10% alcohol you couldn't prove it by me. It hides its alcohol better than any imperial that I've ever had. Watch out!

I didn't really catch the oak barrel aged flavors. I've had beers in the past that were bourbon barrel aged and didn't care for it. So, whatever they did they did it right with this one. Not too overpowering.

Edit to my edit... I was floored to learn that the Prohibition Room was getting $10+ with tax on these pints. Absolutely ridiculous! I have found that other establishments are serving a slightly less expensive serving of it in smaller quantity. Drunken Fry has it for $7 for 14oz. Still a bit too rich for my blood. I'll pass on it. (816 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

I'm pumped to try the first barrel-aged beer to come out of OKC.

Pours up pure black with an inch of creamy tan head that recedes some but never totally goes away.

I get strong bourbon and oak on the nose at first, which gives off some nice spice, vanilla, and toasted coconut. Behind that I can pick up some roasted malt and a bit of coffee. There may even be a bit of smokiness trying push in at the end although it's faint behind the strong barrel character. I can definitely detect alcohol but it's hard to say if its the bourbon or the actual alcohol content of the beer.

While the nose is all about the barrel, the first thing that hits the palate is classic roasted malt and dark cocoa. It only lasts for a second and then gives way to a softer chocolate character more like milk chocolate. Some caramel backs up the roasted malts and rounds it out even more. All the while the bourbon and oak mingle in here and there, making their presence known but in a polite manner. Hops are present only to support the malt with just enough bitterness to provide some backbone. What hop character I detect is of the earthy variety. Again, alcohol is apparent but hard to tease away from the bourbon. Body is full but not syrupy in the least.

I'm definitely impressed with this one. If ever there were such a thing as a "gateway" Imperial Stout, this might be it. Not to say it doesn't have a ton of flavor, because it does, but it's just so damn smooth. The bourbon and oak tend to take over by the end of the glass, but I really can't complain too much because I like that. A nice change from some of the others in this style that are beginning to push the 11-13% ABV mark and tend to burn you up before you can properly finish them. Dangerously quaffable. (1,758 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +6.3%

First off all, this beer is, as you would expect, just as black as black can be, you really have to work hard to get any kind of sliver of brown around the top edge. The head was tan, and just barely there.

The aroma was a big roasted barley smell at first, but as it warmed up a bit, there was a slight, alcohol smell to it, I really expected more for the high ABV though.

The flavor, again, was the roasted barley upfront. Finishes on the sweeter side of dry, but its not cloyingly sweet by any means. Coffee flavor also, like a dark espresso. This Impy Stout is not a hoppy beer, but it does have a bitterness to it, more like you get from dark chocolates or coffee. I know this was aged on oak, and you know its in there when you drink it, but it doesn't make a huge appearance, which is good, I was worried with it being pretty young still, it might be overly oaked, but not so, there is just enough to smooth this puppy out. This beer does not have a long harsh or bitter aftertaste, but the roasted barley hangs around for a while. Again, I did expect this might be a little hot with it being such a high alcohol beer and being really fresh, but no, it's extremely well balanced, not easy to do with a beer like this. The alcohol did seem to come through more in the last 1/4 of the glass however, but overall the 9% abv is hidden very well. It was more on the thicker side of medium for mouthfeel, not a huge thick, sticky stout.

Overall, I would rate this a solid 'A', great offering from the guys at COOP, this is a home run for the Oklahoma Beer scene. But seriously, bottle this gold, or at least let me bring in a few growlers and fill them up! Already can't wait for the next edition of this beer, when they will be aging it for a year, instead of the only 4-5 months this one had. (1,798 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last