Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

F5 IPA - Coop Ale Works

Coop Ale Works visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

Beer added by: bump8628 on 04-11-2010

A straightforward malt body supports the distinctive bouquet of Columbus and Falconers Flight hops that impart citrus, grapefruit and pine notes characteristic of the West Coast style. F5 is a belligerent hop reckoning.

100+ IBU
4.96/5  rDev +21%

I have tried well over 100 IPA's and most of the popular, highly rated ones from Dogfish, Goose Island, Founders, etc., etc. This little brewery in Oklahoma makes the best one, hands down. It delivers a classic IPA smell and taste that is off the charts. All IPA's are bitter and for a lot of people (including myself) they can be a little to harsh....not this one. You get the hoppy bitterness but it has an amazing smoothness and mouthfeel that adds a level of drinkablity that most IPA's don't have. Pay no attention to the negative reviews on this beer.......if you have a FRESH can there is no way it will disapoint.

4.96/5  rDev +21%

A- rich golden hue

S- citrus, pine, lots of depth, big bold hop character

T- huge bright hops that linger with just enough malt to round it out and add a bit of balance

M- snappy, dry, refreshing

O- great ipa, crisp, very drinkable, hops with a big hit, really nice depth of character. I need another one!

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

A - hazey orange with nice lacing and fair head retention

S - floral hops and a bit of skunk.

T - great amazing taste from start to finish. I could drink this all day.

M - Crisp and full carbonation.

D - favorite of Coop's beers. So drinkable, I can't wait for these to come out in bottles or cans.

Had on tap at: Lucille's Roadhouse Weatherford, OK.

4.92/5  rDev +20%

Loved this IPA. Had it in Tulsa, OK and was thrilled. It was the perfect IPA. Great hops (west coast style) no malty-sweetness that interferes. This is every bit as good, or better, than some of the greats: Bells' Two Hearted Ale, Loose Cannon, Truth (Cincinnati), Stone IPA, etc. My opinion is that F5 was better than them all. Amazing IPA. Very deserving of a high rating (currently 92).

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

Had this on tap at the Speakeasy in Oklahoma City, which is RIGHT next door to Coop's very small brewery.

A - Hazy yellow, light for this style, but I've found that to be a good thing for my palette.

S - Hops, citrus, grapefruit.

T - Very hoppy, a lot of citrus, especially grapefruit, a bit of pine, and almost earthy, but very clean and fresh. Well balanced.

O - Coop nailed this one, great job! This is one of my favorite styles, and the F5 is in my top 5. I put it up there near 3Floyd's Dreadnaught and 3Floyd's Arctic Panzer Wolf (reminded me a lot of this one actually). I heard Coop is planning on canning this soon, and I think that is a great business decision for them. :)

If you like this style, and have the opportunity, drink this. Highly recommended!

4.78/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured into a standard English pint glass.

A - 3.75 - Poured a slightly hazy, clear orange-gold color. Formed about a half finger of slightly off white, quickly dissipating head. Weak head potential and retention, whispy lacing.
S - 4.5 - Grapefruit rind, light orange, an earthiness such as rain water, hops and pine.
T - 5 - Bitter biased. Slightly sweet mix of orange and pineapple upfront, fades into a neutral rainwater and pine earthiness, finishes on a quite bitter grapefruit rind and hops ending. Long finish, bitterness resides on the palate for quick some time after a sip.
F - 4.75 - Nice medium/thick creamy mouthfeel.
O - 5 - I was surprised at how good this was. Lately I've gravitated from the sweet tropical IPAs to the more savory and bitter flavors, and for an IPA to give my seasoned and desensitized palate a good bitter punch in the mouth is something impressive and uncommon for me, that being said, this is an amazingly good IPA and I highly recommend it to fans of the more bitter and savory IPA style.

4.77/5  rDev +16.3%

Coop F-5, served in a pint at McNellie's in Tulsa for $4.50.

Appearance: Good frothy white head, about one finger. Good retention and lacing. Hazy malty-honey color, reminds me of Double Simcoe.

Smell: Piney, soapy, briny. Raw honey, clover, spice. Dirty puddles, sugar. YUM!

Taste: Flower Power! The smell does not quite prepare you for the onslaught of hops. Floral hops, pomelo. Malty backbone and a bit of cleaning product (you know, that "open window" smelll). BITTER!

Mouthfeel: Dry, astringent, hoppy. Water, please! Prickly, resiny. Full body and flavor, great carbonation.

Overall: A truly exceptional IPA. If this were made by, say, Green Flash, folks would be all over it. Drinkable, extremely tasty, a hop-lover's delight!! Well done, Oklahoma.

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Notes above are from the most recent tasting.

4-15-2013: Tonight I'm enjoying this on tap at Bricktown Brewery.

The only new note I would say over my review from 2010 is that this is a phenomenal beer to end the night with. Massive, glorious, fruity, bitter yet floral hops. Unbelievable amounts of flavor!

10-15-2010: AP 4.5/AR 5.0/F 4.5 / MF 4.5/ OA 4.0

Had this beer for the first time at Mesta Festa last weekend.

Drinking again today at McNellie's Public House in Midtown OKC.

Attractive glowing slighty hazy orange-gold brew. Amazing aroma. I can pick up citrus, flowers, and a slight bit of honey sweetness.

Taste is monstrous. This is a massive IPA.Certainly hops are extremely dominant but there is a backbone of alcohol and just a tinge of richness. Mouthfeel is nice and full. Fairly high carbonation.

For my taste, this is an excellent single beer to enjoy, but the hops are too intense to be sesssionable. Overall though, this is one of the best American IPA's I've ever had. Certainly the best Oklahoma IPA I've had.

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

Um is this beer from Oklahoma!?!?! Seriously!? If you are someone from out of town, trust me this beer is not rated high only because its local it is absolutely amazing.

A- Deep golden color nice floral head.

S- Pine Trees blowing in the wind! Love it! Hops come through in bouquets of aromas. Floral hints spread throughout.

T- Fresh as can be! The hops are so balanced by the malt. Not heavy just smooth and wonderful. Alcohol is present, but very well hidden.

M- Covers the palate wonderfully. Bitterness is balanced out. goes down smooth and easily. light on the tongue.

D- WOW! Why don't I have this for sale in my store yet?! Can or bottle this please so I can have one every night. I always say that once you have had an F5 your mouth will never forget. Truly an amazing beer and its an IPA! Thanks COOP for this bad boy!

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Hands down this is one of my favorite IPA's. In moving to Oklahoma City from
San Diego back in 2007 I was highly disappointed with the OK beer offerings. F5 renewed my hope when it was released in 2010. It competes with any of the west coast style IPA's that I had grown accustom to drinking.

The hop varieties of Falconers Flight, Columbus, and Amarillo blend quite nicely from start to finish. I would highly recommend getting your hands on a few!

4.67/5  rDev +13.9%

16oz->Nonic Pint

A ~ Pours hazed orange with great lacing, retention, & carbonation.

S ~ Skunk! Whole lot of dank floral hops lending Grapefruit & Pinetree Notes... bit of Breadyness, but very little on the nose. Mostly a floral wonderland.

T ~ Goodness...Hop Oils in abundance...There is Bitter Lemon on top of Ripe Grapefruit & Pinecone. . . There is a soft bed of bready malt that cushions the floral hoppiness. Hint of strawberry jam & dried mango.

M ~ Lively & spirited...Crisp & Creamy with Coop's signature velvety & full carbonation.

D ~ My favorite of Coop's lineup, & it is fantastic on Nitro. So drinkable, & great with Pizza. I really wish I had some to go with this...

4.64/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours a gorgeous golden copperish color with small white head,this is so close to tasting like what's on tap. Canned 3 days ago.

Smells of citrus, grapefruit and pine begging to be tasted.

Taste is much more aggressive than the smell. Super citrusy face slamming hops, grapefruit and pine finish with a slight malt. Columbus and Falconer's Flight hops FTW.

Dry bitter finish that leaves your taste buds craving more.

Overall absofreakinlutely amazing. Left coast style done right in the Midwest.

4.61/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Beautiful light amber color with a hint of red. Thin but persistent head of foam with great lacing.
S: Strong floral and piney notes with a hint of citrus.
T: Big hop bitterness but well balanced with body.
M: Good mouthfeel with medium carbonation.
O: One of my absolute favorite beers from COOP Ale Works. I try to get my hands on it any time I can.

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love the grapefruit, citrus aroma and taste. Crispy. This is such a great Oklahoma beer that I can have locally on tap at one of my fave pizza places, Hideaway. Pairs nicely with their high end pizza. Sorry I'm deprived of drafts here. This is definitely low on the bitter scale, which I like. Very smoothe. So.. get your own 4 pack (no sharing), pace yourself, its a delicious porch pounder lol.

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%

It now comes in a can!!! Oh what a hoppy experience! The first smell is so clean and refreshing. For a beer with 100 IBU it is highly drinkable, especially for a hop head like me :) The one bad thing I have found with this beer is I can't just drink 1. My favorite Oklahoma beer by far!

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%

in the glass it is a golden color, with a slight amber tinge. about a half inch worth of head, somewhat cloudy. This beer leaves behind a ton of lacing!

The smell leads into a whole lotta GRAPEFRUIT! Very pungent, the aromatic hops just grab you and pull you into the beer. Even a non-beer drinker remarked "Wow, this smells different from other beers".

As in the smell, lots of grapefruit flavor, as well as other tropical goodness akin to pineapple. Tons of hop flavor, but with moderate bitterness. a little bit of biscuity malt in the background to balance out so many of the bold flavors.

light-medium bodied, it's a bit on the lighter side since it's so hop-forward. It possesses a very bright character, somewhat dank and juicy.

I don't know how they do it, but COOP is taking the Hop and making it accessible with this beer. with the dampened bitterness, and the big fruity flavor, this beer is extremely drinkable at 7.00% abv. I never really tasted the alcohol at all.

4.54/5  rDev +10.7%

Once again, the mighty JenRay has come through with a real find for The CANQuest (TM)! I am hoping that, as a hophead, this hits me like an F5 tornado! My alma mater high school is the Home of the Red Tornadoes and a path between the two buildings is named "Tornado Alley".

From the CAN: Lots of tiny iconography, including the recycling arrows, the outline of Oklahoma, crossed stalks of barley, a hop cone, a dripping open tap, a partially filled flask, a wind turbine, a skull & crossbones, a tornado (!), a pop-tab to a CAN and a filled pint glass.; “A straightforward malt body supports the distinctive bouquet of Columbus and Falconer's Flight hops that impart citrus, grapefruit and pine notes characteristic of the West Coast style. F5 is a belligerent hop reckoning."; "India Pale Ale"; “Wind Powered”; “Keep Cold [-] Enjoy [-] Recycle”.

A pint CAN CAN be problematic when doing an inverted Glug, but I was inspired by the loud Crack! and decided to give it a go. This produced two fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention before I had to back off to prevent overflow. The hops aroma filled the room! Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = 11) with NE (or OK)-quality clarity. When I leaned in for a whiff, my sinus cavity filled with a grapefruit-pine admixture and my mouth began to water. At the same time, my hops monkey on my back began to screech and howl and I knew that I was more than ready for a hophead fix. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was all grapefruit on the tongue and in my mouth! Bitter? Hell, yeah! But not as astringent as some that I have CANsumed in this vein. 100+ IBUs, according to the CAN! The finish evinced a cool, dry mintiness, like being in a pine forest during a snowfall. Get the sensation! I should have held this until tomorrow, which is Hula in the Coola Day (01 Febrewary, annually). I would definitely put some of these CANs in my cooler!

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - standard IPA, not much head
S - delisious, piney, hoppy, slight citrus
T - very clean piney up front and on the aftertaste
F - slight carb but not much
O - One of the best IPAs out there. I am starting to notice most great IPAs are coming from the Midwest, maybe the water is a contributing factor...

4.47/5  rDev +9%

P:  Clear golden amber body with a bountiful crop of creamy off-white head that stays for a good while.  Creamy long along the edges.

S:  Huge grapefruit, melon, citrus and fresh pine needles. Super clean nose.
Alcohol is subtlety nestled in the bouquet of generous hops.

T/M:  Medium silky body with great spicy carbonation.  Subtle mild malt with a triumvirate convoy of delicious hopness. Taste follows the nose and finishes clean and dry.

O:  Fantastic!  Hands down Ok's finest IPA.  Fresh and clean hop notes and a killer aroma. Easy drinking and a great hop kick.  Everything I want in my IPA's. Can put my glass down.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%

Go to IPA off of shelf when able to get. Plenty to be had on tap at local restaurants which is great! This brew is comparable to any west coast IPA. If you have never had this beer your missing out on something special. Oklahoma is stepping up in a big way with this 100+ ibu brew.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is my first review, lets hope I can make it presentable!

Appearance: This beer pours a moderate gold color that leans a bit orange. Great lacing and good foam.

Smell: It smells piney and with a hint of fruit, perhaps orange? Hard for me to put my finger on it.

Taste: This beer is a touch fruity on the front at which point the fruit slowly fades and givesway to herbal notes. It has a hint of that alcohol smell (another called it boozy, not quite that strong IMO). This is an IPA and it wouldn't be an IPA without a good hoppy flavor. The hops are present from start to finish with what I would describe as a mild to moderate hoppy bite at the end.

Mouthfeel: This is what I would consider a medium bodied beer. It's not light and not heavy. The beer goes down smooth and has a solid hop presence throughout. I'm not generally a fan of fruity beers, I would not consider this fruity but there is a hint of fruit that is more prominent up front and givesway to the stronger hop finish.

Overall: This is by far the best IPA brewed here in OK and is more of a true IPA in my opinion when compared with some others, like Marshall's Atlas IPA (also good but different). In my opinion this is a top notch IPA that can compete with anything else I've had.

I've had this served on draught at a couple of local joints and it's currently in my keg here at the house.

4.43/5  rDev +8%

I'm not a reviewer but I think this beer deserves more credit and recognition than it receives.

A- slightly opaque golden. Thin, white head that laces nicely on the way down.

S- standard for the style, pine, floral hops, light and inviting.

T- fantastic. Slightly piney and just the right amount of bitter, great floral hop profile balances the bitter. I prefer even more floral hop character, but the contrast with the bitterness really works here.

M- exactly what it should be, light, crisp, well-carbed.

O- the best beer from Oklahoma, which I HOPE, will be canned
soon so many more can appreciate this beer.

Any IPA fan will love this beer!

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Solid brew. Drank it straight out of can so based look on other reviews. A very light IPA in terms of hops I think the caramel sweetness covers it up. Finish is very nice, complicated but just a little bitter and full like I enjoy. A perfect starter IPA for that friend you have that hates them. A solid beer that I will drink again as well.

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%

Look: 16 ounce can poured into a snifter glass. Half finger head slowly dissipates with decent lacing. Body looks light-medium light with a cloudy light Amber orange color. No sediment however

Smell: A lot going on here strong pine citrus and earthy hops are the first thing to get the nose followed by subtle biscuit and malt

Taste:A lot like what it smells like a mild malt initial taste followed by a pleasantly strong and respective hop presence just like the smell lots of earthy plenty of Piney hop taste that stays with you for about five seconds after swallowing

Feel:for the complexity of the flavor mouthfeel is rather light making this extremely bold and flavorful IPA that can however make a great session beer

Overall: I was very pleased with this beer. as a resident of Oklahoma and knowing our crappy beer laws I was actually really impressed to see Oklahoma produce such a fine beer which of course we have to purchase at a liquor store. If you like IPAs with plenty of hops and not so much malt give this one a shot it will not let you down

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

On tap at RePUBlic in Oklahoma City

Pours a hazy golden orange color with a thin white head, decent lacing as you drink it. Great nose on this beer, with hints of grapefruit, pine, pineapple and sweetness. Taste is full of hops (shocked actually) citrusy, spicy, and sweet. Medium bodied with a nice hop aftertaste. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer after trying a few other local IPA's would definitely buy a 6-pack for my fridge, I hope this brewery succeeds in an area where craft beer is starting to spring up

F5 IPA from Coop Ale Works