F5 IPA - Coop Ale Works

F5 IPAF5 IPA

Coop Ale Works visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

Beer added by: bump8628 on 04-11-2010

A straightforward malt body supports the distinctive bouquet of Columbus and Falconers Flight hops that impart citrus, grapefruit and pine notes characteristic of the West Coast style. F5 is a belligerent hop reckoning.

100+ IBU
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
2.11/5  rDev -49.5%

Received this beer as an extra in a trade. Not sure when this was canned. I am not getting anything in the smell/taste categories, so I am thinking this has to be extremely old given the other ratings. Drain pour. =/ (216 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from can a hazy copper with a thin, foamy head. Big grapefruit nose. Grapefruit carries over to taste, along with citrus, pine, malt and hops. Serious bitterness. Oily mouth with some carbonation. If you like big, bitter hoppy IPAs - and I do - you'll love this one. (273 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I can find.

APPEARANCE: pours a slightly cloudy yellow-orange color with 1 finger white head that quickly dissipated until a ring of small bubbles remained, there was some lacing on the glass, medium carbonation.

SMELL: pine resin, citrus and bread.

TASTE: initially sweet for just a moment and then the hops burst onto the scene, nice pine resin hop profile that really lingers, there is some grapefruit citrus and bread.

PALATE: medium carbonation and body.

OVERALL: this is a very good traditional IPA that would appeal to anyone who enjoys the style, I would definitely buy this again. (685 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into an IPA glass. The lquid is a darkish translucent golden orange. The pour produces a significant three-finger off-white head that takes several minutes to die down, and leaves lots of lace as you drain the glass. Tons of bubbles rise up through the liquid. Classic IPA appearance.

Aroma is citrusy hops, with hints of sweet malt underneath. Orange zest, sugar cookie, etc, etc, etc. Wonderful!

Flavor follows the nose - citrusy hops well-balanced by bready malts. Maybe a little bit of mint in there. Finish is pretty bitter and drying (maybe a little too much for my taste), but the aftertaste is pleasantly citrusy, creating a nice counterpoint.

Mouthfeel is moderately thick, little bit oily, with heavy carbonation - to style.

Overall, super well-executed IPA. Really well-balanced, but just tongue-shredding enough. (835 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

in the glass it is a golden color, with a slight amber tinge. about a half inch worth of head, somewhat cloudy. This beer leaves behind a ton of lacing!

The smell leads into a whole lotta GRAPEFRUIT! Very pungent, the aromatic hops just grab you and pull you into the beer. Even a non-beer drinker remarked "Wow, this smells different from other beers".

As in the smell, lots of grapefruit flavor, as well as other tropical goodness akin to pineapple. Tons of hop flavor, but with moderate bitterness. a little bit of biscuity malt in the background to balance out so many of the bold flavors.

light-medium bodied, it's a bit on the lighter side since it's so hop-forward. It possesses a very bright character, somewhat dank and juicy.

I don't know how they do it, but COOP is taking the Hop and making it accessible with this beer. with the dampened bitterness, and the big fruity flavor, this beer is extremely drinkable at 7.00% abv. I never really tasted the alcohol at all. (984 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours a gorgeous golden copperish color with small white head,this is so close to tasting like what's on tap. Canned 3 days ago.

Smells of citrus, grapefruit and pine begging to be tasted.

Taste is much more aggressive than the smell. Super citrusy face slamming hops, grapefruit and pine finish with a slight malt. Columbus and Falconer's Flight hops FTW.

Dry bitter finish that leaves your taste buds craving more.

Overall absofreakinlutely amazing. Left coast style done right in the Midwest. (499 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from an undated can into a tulip glass

A- Amber, filtered clear, standard ipa with some caramel malts thrown in, inch of head that stuck around a few minutes

S- sweet malt,lights scent of grapefruit, orange zest, pineapple. Doesn't shoot out of the glass but after a couple sniffs it comes on stronger

T- grapefruit, orangest, citrus zest, pine, pineapple, subtle malt sweetness, standard west coast ipa fare done very well

M- medium bodied, fairly dry, very soft bitterness, nothing harsh about this beer, very drinkable

O- I got this can as an extra and liked it a lot. I wasn't expecting much but it kind of reminded me of what I love about IPA's. This wasn't one of the best ones I've ever had but it was damn good and very drinkable. I'd definately drink this one again (788 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a tangerine color with a small, rocky white head. Aroma is faint but has grapefruit, slight citrus, and earthiness. Taste is more pronounced with pine, grapefruit, earth, and slight citrus with bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel is medium and plays well with the bitter finish. Overall a pretty decent west coast ipa, would love to try it fresher as it has about 3 months on it. (389 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%

Um is this beer from Oklahoma!?!?! Seriously!? If you are someone from out of town, trust me this beer is not rated high only because its local it is absolutely amazing.

A- Deep golden color nice floral head.

S- Pine Trees blowing in the wind! Love it! Hops come through in bouquets of aromas. Floral hints spread throughout.

T- Fresh as can be! The hops are so balanced by the malt. Not heavy just smooth and wonderful. Alcohol is present, but very well hidden.

M- Covers the palate wonderfully. Bitterness is balanced out. goes down smooth and easily. light on the tongue.

D- WOW! Why don't I have this for sale in my store yet?! Can or bottle this please so I can have one every night. I always say that once you have had an F5 your mouth will never forget. Truly an amazing beer and its an IPA! Thanks COOP for this bad boy! (835 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Had this on tap at the Speakeasy in Oklahoma City, which is RIGHT next door to Coop's very small brewery.

A - Hazy yellow, light for this style, but I've found that to be a good thing for my palette.

S - Hops, citrus, grapefruit.

T - Very hoppy, a lot of citrus, especially grapefruit, a bit of pine, and almost earthy, but very clean and fresh. Well balanced.

O - Coop nailed this one, great job! This is one of my favorite styles, and the F5 is in my top 5. I put it up there near 3Floyd's Dreadnaught and 3Floyd's Arctic Panzer Wolf (reminded me a lot of this one actually). I heard Coop is planning on canning this soon, and I think that is a great business decision for them. :)

If you like this style, and have the opportunity, drink this. Highly recommended! (770 characters)

4.18/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I love Coop's F5.

When I'm home in Oklahoma, it's on tap at the bar I go to and everyone is drinking it.

the F5 is hopped with a combo of Columbus and Falconers Flight and while you might expect it (considering its IBU is 100) to be a bitter citrus bomb, it's a nicely balanced IPA. It tastes like sun in a glass--bright, hot, resiny, citrusy, and with a nice bite. This is a sit-down-and-drink-em beer as well as a drink-it-all-evening-and-dance beer.

I love it and will, on occasion, trade what I can get up here in NYC for a few super-fresh cans of this stuff. (568 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Got this as an extra in a trade from a nice fellow in OK. Poured from a 16 oz can into a tulip glass. Canned on 3/7/14, so drinking it 4 weeks old.

A - Very dark caramel color with quite a bit of haze. Very little off white colored head with hardly any lacing.

S - Citrusy hop aroma with a slight bready, malty sweetness.

T - Well balanced piney and citrusy hop flavor with just enough sweetness from the malt.

M - Full bodied up front, but not syrupy. Finishes cleanly with just enough bitterness to make you thirsty for the next sip.

O - Very nice IPA from Coop Ale Works. I wouldn't mind drinking this pretty often if I lived in Oklahoma. (646 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Go to IPA off of shelf when able to get. Plenty to be had on tap at local restaurants which is great! This brew is comparable to any west coast IPA. If you have never had this beer your missing out on something special. Oklahoma is stepping up in a big way with this 100+ ibu brew. (281 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +18.7%

A- rich golden hue

S- citrus, pine, lots of depth, big bold hop character

T- huge bright hops that linger with just enough malt to round it out and add a bit of balance

M- snappy, dry, refreshing

O- great ipa, crisp, very drinkable, hops with a big hit, really nice depth of character. I need another one! (310 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Though I've been very impressed with the majority of the COOP beers that I've tried, their F-5 IPA may be their chef d'oeuvre. I first had the F-5 on tap at McNellie's in Tulsa. Poured into a standard pint glass, the beer has a welcoming amber hue and a nice finger width head. As stated in other reviews, the F-5 leaves a wonderful amount of lacing behind. The smell of the brew is pure citrus and hops, a wonderful aroma.

The taste of the beer is what makes this a world class IPA though. The first taste that hits your palette is the citrus flavors, the grapefruit, the orange, the pine. Alot of pleasant flavor that saturates your mouth before the big hop bite counters the sweet fruit with a rush of bitterness. It's like taking a sip of fruit juice and then getting punched in the face with a fist full of fresh hops. As far as drinkability goes, I certainly wouldn't mind throwing a few of these back, despite the relatively high ABV. I'm counting the days until COOP releases this brew in cans. (1,003 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

Look: 16 ounce can poured into a snifter glass. Half finger head slowly dissipates with decent lacing. Body looks light-medium light with a cloudy light Amber orange color. No sediment however

Smell: A lot going on here strong pine citrus and earthy hops are the first thing to get the nose followed by subtle biscuit and malt

Taste:A lot like what it smells like a mild malt initial taste followed by a pleasantly strong and respective hop presence just like the smell lots of earthy plenty of Piney hop taste that stays with you for about five seconds after swallowing

Feel:for the complexity of the flavor mouthfeel is rather light making this extremely bold and flavorful IPA that can however make a great session beer

Overall: I was very pleased with this beer. as a resident of Oklahoma and knowing our crappy beer laws I was actually really impressed to see Oklahoma produce such a fine beer which of course we have to purchase at a liquor store. If you like IPAs with plenty of hops and not so much malt give this one a shot it will not let you down (1,062 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Beautiful light amber color with a hint of red. Thin but persistent head of foam with great lacing.
S: Strong floral and piney notes with a hint of citrus.
T: Big hop bitterness but well balanced with body.
M: Good mouthfeel with medium carbonation.
O: One of my absolute favorite beers from COOP Ale Works. I try to get my hands on it any time I can.

Serving type: bottle (376 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +18.7%

I have tried well over 100 IPA's and most of the popular, highly rated ones from Dogfish, Goose Island, Founders, etc., etc. This little brewery in Oklahoma makes the best one, hands down. It delivers a classic IPA smell and taste that is off the charts. All IPA's are bitter and for a lot of people (including myself) they can be a little to harsh....not this one. You get the hoppy bitterness but it has an amazing smoothness and mouthfeel that adds a level of drinkablity that most IPA's don't have. Pay no attention to the negative reviews on this beer.......if you have a FRESH can there is no way it will disapoint. (626 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -3.8%

Being out of state, I picked up a 4-pack in Ardmore, OK. I like IPAs. This one tasted like the brewers shoved a pine tree into each can. Nothing wrong with that! I'd recommend the cans, but would like to revisit F5 on tap to see the difference.

If you prefer 100+ IBUs, pick up an F5! (285 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love the grapefruit, citrus aroma and taste. Crispy. This is such a great Oklahoma beer that I can have locally on tap at one of my fave pizza places, Hideaway. Pairs nicely with their high end pizza. Sorry I'm deprived of drafts here. This is definitely low on the bitter scale, which I like. Very smoothe. So.. get your own 4 pack (no sharing), pace yourself, its a delicious porch pounder lol. (398 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

My go to IPA on tap at local establishments. Lots of hop flavor. Seems to be in between a standard IPA and an imperial IPA. Really like that I can get a West Coast IPA locally here in Oklahoma without compromising flavor. This is what I recommend to friends from out of town that love hops. (290 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

It now comes in a can!!! Oh what a hoppy experience! The first smell is so clean and refreshing. For a beer with 100 IBU it is highly drinkable, especially for a hop head like me :) The one bad thing I have found with this beer is I can't just drink 1. My favorite Oklahoma beer by far! (286 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Hands down this is one of my favorite IPA's. In moving to Oklahoma City from
San Diego back in 2007 I was highly disappointed with the OK beer offerings. F5 renewed my hope when it was released in 2010. It competes with any of the west coast style IPA's that I had grown accustom to drinking.

The hop varieties of Falconers Flight, Columbus, and Amarillo blend quite nicely from start to finish. I would highly recommend getting your hands on a few! (451 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is my first review, lets hope I can make it presentable!

Appearance: This beer pours a moderate gold color that leans a bit orange. Great lacing and good foam.

Smell: It smells piney and with a hint of fruit, perhaps orange? Hard for me to put my finger on it.

Taste: This beer is a touch fruity on the front at which point the fruit slowly fades and givesway to herbal notes. It has a hint of that alcohol smell (another called it boozy, not quite that strong IMO). This is an IPA and it wouldn't be an IPA without a good hoppy flavor. The hops are present from start to finish with what I would describe as a mild to moderate hoppy bite at the end.

Mouthfeel: This is what I would consider a medium bodied beer. It's not light and not heavy. The beer goes down smooth and has a solid hop presence throughout. I'm not generally a fan of fruity beers, I would not consider this fruity but there is a hint of fruit that is more prominent up front and givesway to the stronger hop finish.

Overall: This is by far the best IPA brewed here in OK and is more of a true IPA in my opinion when compared with some others, like Marshall's Atlas IPA (also good but different). In my opinion this is a top notch IPA that can compete with anything else I've had.

I've had this served on draught at a couple of local joints and it's currently in my keg here at the house. (1,370 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Solid brew. Drank it straight out of can so based look on other reviews. A very light IPA in terms of hops I think the caramel sweetness covers it up. Finish is very nice, complicated but just a little bitter and full like I enjoy. A perfect starter IPA for that friend you have that hates them. A solid beer that I will drink again as well. (341 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last