Czech Pilsener - Bohemian Brewery

Bohemian Brewery visit their website
Utah, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2004

Light crisp full bodied, well aged lager made from Pilsen malt, and real Czech yeast from Prague, Czech Republic.
to view more.
Ratings: 49 | Reviews: 32
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Pouring this from an inch or so above the glass gives this beer a big white head that settles into an alright lacing above a clear golden colored pils.

The aroma is a sour leaning towards lemon with a light floral hops that has a soupiness to it.

Souriness that you would expect from a pils is present with a slight sour soupiness adding to a bitter hops taste.

Bitter and slightly sour but almost to a perfect degree make the dryish aftertaste almost exactly what you want from a beer, hey you hand me another piece of that cheese you have there.

This is one of those beers that I would like to drink with a snack tray full of cheeses and meats.

4.63/5  rDev +25.8%

This is a great Pilsenser. It has the nice Saaz hop aroma and bitterness you would expect from a Czech Pilsener. Whats nice about this beer is you can get it at places like the golf course and ski resorts. I was really happy to find this beer in a can for this reason. I had it both in the can and poured in the glass. Perhaps it's just me but it had a improved mouthfeel and aroma coming from being poured into the glass. The can hid some of that. When poured into the glass it poured with a nice head. Had really good clarity. No haze at all. Small bubbles and went down really easy. I had about 4 cans one after another and enjoyed them more and more. I love this beer!

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%

12 oz can at 42 degrees into a Franziskaner Weizen glass.

A: It pours a transluscent pale yellow to almost clear color with a finger and a half of juicy white head that has great retention and lacing.

S: Pilsner malt, citrus, hay, and light floral hoppiness.

T: Sweet pilsner malt, citrus, mild spiciness, and grass.

M: The body is medium-light with lots of carbonation and a palate-cleansing finish.

D: This is fantastic. I'll be revisiting it often - especially on the golf course.

2.86/5  rDev -22.3%

light golden yellow, not the straw color, a little darker. Lots of carbonation coming up and a quick hint at a half inch high head, which faded as quickly as it came up. No side glass lacing to speak of.

The aroma was rather bland. Light earthy hops, with a good dose of grain. Kind of light if I am being honest as it really did not have anything sticking out to me at all. The flavor was more of the same, highly carbonated with a moldy or stale bread taste that was slightly astringent and bitter, especially towards the end, and a non existent aftertaste. Decent light body for the style and the carbonation was good all around, not too crazy on drinking multiples of this one though, just not up my alley. Maybe as a macro replacement

3.76/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz Can (4% ABV) picked up at Ruby's Inn outsdie Bryce Canyon NP.

Sat outside our motel room I poured the can into two toothbrush plastic cups, I had nothing else to use!

The beer was a golden pilsner colour (what a suprise) and had a pure white head which gave some good lacing on our plastic cups.

My notes mention a good body depth, that the beer had character and good attributes which came through from the start of the tasting.

All in all, a good pilsner, as good as many original Czech ones I've reviewed anyway.

2.15/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured into a pils glass.

2.5 A: Clear medium yellow color. Two and a half fingers of foamy white head. Retention is a bit below average and very little lacing is left.

2.5 S: Dirty herbalness makes this a lot less clean than I like my pilsners. Something along the lines of breadiness, but not less clean. Light grassy and hay qualities.

2.0 T: Less clean than the nose. The pseudo-breadiness is more intense and I don't like it. Lightly grassy again with some hay. The problem is that the yeast wasn't allowed to work cleanly.

2.0 M: Lighter medium to medium body. Too thick and muddled and lacking crispness. Carbonation level is fine though.

2.0 D: Not a good beer.

3.9/5  rDev +6%

Clear deep golden colored beer with a small white colored head.

Smells malty with a strong noble hop scent. Spicy and grassy and a little soap smelling. Slight sour scent here.

Starts out fairly hoppy with a strong grassy hop taste. Assertive hop bite with a medium bitterness. Slightly spicy this is a beer that really wakes your taste buds up. Little bit of soapy hop taste.

Mouthfeel is on the light side.

Overall tasty, possibly the best lager in Utah.

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours clear golden with a white head that leaves lacing.

The smell is grainy and very floral.

The taste is bready and grainy with bitter floral notes. A bit overhopped/bitter for style - I like my hops, but this pushes it, even for style. A bit of yeast comes through, too. Could use firmer malt backbone. Crisp finish.

LIght-bodied, a bit thin, though.

Easy to drink - has a bitter bite, but is smooth.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

The CANQuest (TM) CANtinues on its merry way. They CAN't hold me back, yo! One dude lost the BOTTLE and had to CANcede 'cause this is how we roll now. CAN you dig it?

From the CAN: From the CAN: The word "Beer" in its many forms, including "IINBO (sort of my Cyrillic), Bier, Biere, Cerveja, Birra, Pivo, [Japanse or Chinese characters], Cerveza, Bier and Biere" and "Best if served in a glass." Fair dinkum, but how come we never get the word for CAN, which is far more important? CANs = Dosen, Boites, Lattine, Lattas, and Blikken. Also, "Pilsener is a style of beer, developed in the city of Plzen (Pilsen in German/English), Western Bohemia (now the Czech Republic). It is generally distinguished from other lagers by a more pronounced hop character, particularly from the use of Saaz (pronounced 'Zaats') Noble hops." Finally, "Old school brew" in olde English lettering. Yo!

Music: We're kickin' it olde school wit 2pac and some noble (hip) hops, yo! For the non-rappers among us, that'd be Tupac Shakur and "Old School". CAN you dig that?

Yo, dis Crack & Glug jaunt is da bomb, yo! Who CAN mess wit' a finger of bubbly, bone-white head every time out the gate? Color was a deep gold, like some of the bling I'm sportin' on my grill and clear like the raps I'm layin' down. Zaats, it is, all up in my nose like that. Yo, in a BOTTLE, I mighta yelled "Skunk!", but this wuz madd nice. Mouthfeel was full, like my gas tank before a run, and bringin' some nice spice to the party. Finish was bone-dry, like my wallet the day before payday, dig? This bad boy is going in my cooler quick fast, before the 5-Oh is up my tailpipe. Hang loose, fools, and I'll see you around the 'hood.

4.16/5  rDev +13%

got this a while back and i have been afraid to crack it open for my fear of pilsners, and by fear i mean general dislike of pilsners. So here goes nothing

Can cracks open with a slight pop. as I start to pour I am greeted by a huge three finger white head that sits atop a beautiful hazy gold. retention is moderate to good. very little lacing.

smell has that old fart smell that seems to be prevalent with the style. meh. not impressed.

wow. taste makes up a lot. crisp. hints of malt and hop dance together. cant really put my finger on the aftertaste. but it is tasty.

mouth is clean and thin. smooth as silk.

this beer is fucking easy to drink. I would have no problem putting back a sixer of this and still be cool for the night. A FANTASTIC session beer.

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

12 oz can poured into a shaker pint. Slightly hazy light gold body with a finger and then some's worth of fluffy white head that slowly settles down into a skim, leaving scattered patches of lacing.

Smells of biscuity malt, straw and grassy hops. Not particularly bold, but quite pleasant. A bit of sweetness seems to float in and out. The flavor pretty much follows suit. Not a bad tasting brew at all, although it's somewhat lacking in crispness and noble hop spiciness. A few tweaks away from being pretty damned good.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Poured from a can to a pilsener glass. Had a golden yellow color and a clear texture. There was an inch of foamy, long-lasting head. Pretty good lacing.

S: A subtle aroma of malt, hops and tiny bit of citrus.

T: Tasted of Czech hops, malt, and some lemon. Not the most complex of flavors, but solid nonetheless.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a mostly dry finish. Light-bodied.

D: Not a perfect beer, but definitely drinkable.

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Golden amber in the tall glass. Nicely foamy with a sprightly carbonation on the tongue. Hoppy nose.

Mouthfeel is sudsy and light, with a faint oily sensation. Fairly crisp with a fleeting malty flavor. Taste of crackers with an assertive hoppy flavor. Aromatic hop flavor along with the smell. Not as bitter as many Pilseners, and the hop level seems appropriate to the light 4.0% ABV.

Pleasant and highly quaffable light beer. From the 12 oz can bought at Emigration Market in Salt Lake.

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Purchased a 12 pack of this for $16 from the Jubilee grocery store, down to the last two. Into a SA perfect pint.

A: Pale gold in color with almost an inch of dense white head, fair amount of carbonation moving through the glass. Nice spots of lacing as it recedes. Excellent clarity.

S: Nice floral hop flavor, grainy little bit of malts, and a slight amount of sulfur. Not remarkable, but certainly not offensive either.

T: A little bit more flavorful than a standard macro, grainy, slightly floral hop profile, and just a touch of bitterness. Pretty middle of the road here. Tastes like a pils, but not a remarkable one. Just a standard pretty decent beer. I would enjoy a little more bitterness and a little more of a saaz presence.

M: Light body, prickly carbonation, and quite dry. Just about right for the style.

O: A decent beer to have around for the BMC drinkers, quite a few people that I've had over that aren't into craft enjoyed this more so than the other beers I've offered. Not a bad beer in the summer time.

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

12 oz can purchased from an actual grocery store here in SLC. I poured this into my perfect pint.

Appearance: Light straw in color with more haze than expected from a pilsener. A nice white clingy inch head with lacing all the way down, impressive for 4 ABV.

Smell: Malts, grass, hay and herbal hops. A mild honey sweetness. Smells like a good lager should.

Taste: Crisp with a mildly hoppy cleanness. I think this a solid example of what a brewer can do with a 4.0ABV limit cap. Joe has packed a lot of flavor into this beer for it's size.

Mouthfeel: Even a little thicker than other comparable beers. A mostly clean finish with a bit of hoppy bite, just a touch, on the end.

Overall: Probably my go go grocery store beer here in Utah. This one should scare away people new to trying "other" beers.

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

This is one of my favorite lagers. A nice golden yellow apperence. Pours with a Great white head, with wonderful aromas of spicy saaz hops. This lager has a Crisp, dry clean flavor. You can taste the both the malt and the hops. A very well balanced beer. I can drink this beer all night long.
Cheers

3.42/5  rDev -7.1%

A - Was a yellowish color, some carbonation, small head, nice lacing throughout the drink.

S - Scents of hops and sweet malts.

T - The taste was hoppy, but kinda watery.

M - Light - Medium body, nice carbonation. A well rounded beer.

D - Very drinkable. Most likely would buy again.

3.41/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a modest head; the retention was fair as was the lacing

Smell: Biscuity, but there is no noble hop aroma

Taste: Opens with the biscuit, with a developing floral hap character in full force by mid-palate; after the swallow, the hops and the malt balance each other nicely

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body; crisp carbonation

Drinkability: Not as flavorful as some of the other canned pilsners from the East Coast, but a very nice drinker indeed

Thanks, Douglas88, for the opportunity

3.68/5  rDev 0%

Review from notes taken this summer.

A clear golden yellow color, light white head, moderate carbonation. Aroma is classic pilsner, with notes of fresh grass. A nice flowery hop flavor with some nutty notes as well. Mouthfeel is smooth and buttery. Very creamy. Somewhat unexpected, but very nice indeed. A very light, easy to drink pilsner. Different taste than others i've had makes this one a pleasure to drink & leaves me wanting more. This beer is also available in cans at the brewery or in various stores around SLC.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Beer #30 in my great Utah Brew Hunt.

I don't know why, but I've been wanting to try this one for a while now.

Pours very cloudy for a pilsener. There is a mild citric tone to this; but very , very mild at that. Again, like the provo pilsner before this: this is much heartier and thicker than I would expect for the style. I am wondering if leaving it out for a while has brought that out. Either way, there it is. A passable pilsener, but not one I would rush to go back to. (Not my preferred style anyways.)

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%

A damn good pilsner out of a can! I was soooo excited when I saw this beer being sold at Dan's on Foothill Blvd. I didn't think they were packaging their beers at all! This is the first time I've ever seen Bohemia sold in stores, and the brewery is just too far south for me to visit very often.

And this beer just proved to me that beer in a can CAN be bloody good! I've always loved going to the Bohemian for great food and great pitchers of beer, now I can enjoy it at home too!

Looks like a pilsner! Golden straw color with a very light and airy head that pours a good two fingers thick. The bubbles aren't quite where I'd expect them to be for a Pilsner...but then again those Germans carbonate their beers like crazy, and I've got to stop expecting every beer drinking experience to rival my experiences in Germany. Smells good--just like a pilsner. It's got that stale urine smell--but I don't mean that in a bad way, I promise. That's what pilsners always remind me of. And I've come to love it. I think it's the Saaz hops that give it that smell. It tastes delicious. It's fairly dry, but this particular pilsner is pretty flavorful and fun. Pilsners often bore me, but I'm really enjoying this one. Bottom line: I was planning on drinking one beer tonight. I finished the first one and couldn't help but open a second. What does that tell you? Good beer.

NOTE TO BOHEMIAN BREWERY:
Please package and distribute more of your beer, and at more than just Dan's on Foothill! Keep it up, you guys rock! If anybody sees their beer being sold anywhere else, please notify me!

3.91/5  rDev +6.3%

This beer looks like a Pilsner with that unmistakable straw golden color and a bright white sticky cap of foam. A crisp aroma offered pale malts and bitter spicy hops. A snappy palate presents the flavor profile: a fresh dose of light malt followed by grassy, spicy hops. This beer hit the spot after a long hot day. Very refreshing.

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

appearance: Golden pale with quickly disapating head retention, resembled what a lager sould be with fast rising bubble action from top to bottom

smell: light on the aroma as a classic pilsner should be. slight aroma from the hops

taste: like I was back in prague. it;s really hard to get a quality and fresh pilsner in the US thats taste correctly.

mouthfeel: light bodied. very easy to put down. great summer feeling

drinkability: awesome beer, the way they are supposed to be made. very traditional.

4.38/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was skeptical about a canned beer but am happily suprised.

It pours a light gold/straw, not a big head but a little lacing.

My sniffer doesn't work all that good, but it smells what I'd expect from a pils.

Again, I was hesitant about a can, but from my first sip I'm hooked. Most American made pils seem to hopped a bit too much and a little too bitter(and I love a bitter beer) but this pils has just that right balance of hops and malts and I'd rate it as good as Pilsner Urquell.

I will absolutely make this one of my regular beers.

4/17/11, this has become my FAVORITE PILS!

3.69/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into a German Stange glass.

A-Darker orange hue with some cloudiness. Hints of golden-yellow. Nice creamy white head that left considerable lacing on the sides and a foamy film on the surface of the beer.

S-Not a lot going on here. Hints of lemon peel and malt is all I could really pick up. Maybe some spice...?

T-Nice and refreshing feel going in with a salt and pepper aftertaste. It is just the way I like my pils: peppery, dry, and a little bit of sweet malt. I could sense some citrus-like flavors, but not too much. Just enough to keep the flavor balanced. I sensed a little metallic/irony flavor every so often...maybe it's because of the Utah liquor laws to keep all beers in the supermarket at 4% ABV, or maybe it was the water they used? Who knows...

M-Light to medium body with carbonation a bit on the high side, but not enough to ruin the beer.

Overall, I am in the beginning process of bidding "farewell" to summer by drinking as many pils and kolsch out of my stange glass. I have tried to find a decent enough Czech style Pils to quench my thirst (besides the delicious Budvar), and I think this is the one!

to view more.