Czech Pilsener - Bohemian Brewery

good

Bohemian Brewery visit their website
Utah, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.00% ABV

Light crisp full bodied, well aged lager made from Pilsen malt, and real Czech yeast from Prague, Czech Republic.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

4.63/5  rDev +25.5%

This is a great Pilsenser. It has the nice Saaz hop aroma and bitterness you would expect from a Czech Pilsener. Whats nice about this beer is you can get it at places like the golf course and ski resorts. I was really happy to find this beer in a can for this reason. I had it both in the can and poured in the glass. Perhaps it's just me but it had a improved mouthfeel and aroma coming from being poured into the glass. The can hid some of that. When poured into the glass it poured with a nice head. Had really good clarity. No haze at all. Small bubbles and went down really easy. I had about 4 cans one after another and enjoyed them more and more. I love this beer!

4.55/5  rDev +23.3%

This is one of my favorite lagers. A nice golden yellow apperence. Pours with a Great white head, with wonderful aromas of spicy saaz hops. This lager has a Crisp, dry clean flavor. You can taste the both the malt and the hops. A very well balanced beer. I can drink this beer all night long.
Cheers

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was skeptical about a canned beer but am happily suprised.

It pours a light gold/straw, not a big head but a little lacing.

My sniffer doesn't work all that good, but it smells what I'd expect from a pils.

Again, I was hesitant about a can, but from my first sip I'm hooked. Most American made pils seem to hopped a bit too much and a little too bitter(and I love a bitter beer) but this pils has just that right balance of hops and malts and I'd rate it as good as Pilsner Urquell.

I will absolutely make this one of my regular beers.

4/17/11, this has become my FAVORITE PILS!

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

appearance: Golden pale with quickly disapating head retention, resembled what a lager sould be with fast rising bubble action from top to bottom

smell: light on the aroma as a classic pilsner should be. slight aroma from the hops

taste: like I was back in prague. it;s really hard to get a quality and fresh pilsner in the US thats taste correctly.

mouthfeel: light bodied. very easy to put down. great summer feeling

drinkability: awesome beer, the way they are supposed to be made. very traditional.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

The CANQuest (TM) CANtinues on its merry way. They CAN't hold me back, yo! One dude lost the BOTTLE and had to CANcede 'cause this is how we roll now. CAN you dig it?

From the CAN: From the CAN: The word "Beer" in its many forms, including "IINBO (sort of my Cyrillic), Bier, Biere, Cerveja, Birra, Pivo, [Japanse or Chinese characters], Cerveza, Bier and Biere" and "Best if served in a glass." Fair dinkum, but how come we never get the word for CAN, which is far more important? CANs = Dosen, Boites, Lattine, Lattas, and Blikken. Also, "Pilsener is a style of beer, developed in the city of Plzen (Pilsen in German/English), Western Bohemia (now the Czech Republic). It is generally distinguished from other lagers by a more pronounced hop character, particularly from the use of Saaz (pronounced 'Zaats') Noble hops." Finally, "Old school brew" in olde English lettering. Yo!

Music: We're kickin' it olde school wit 2pac and some noble (hip) hops, yo! For the non-rappers among us, that'd be Tupac Shakur and "Old School". CAN you dig that?

Yo, dis Crack & Glug jaunt is da bomb, yo! Who CAN mess wit' a finger of bubbly, bone-white head every time out the gate? Color was a deep gold, like some of the bling I'm sportin' on my grill and clear like the raps I'm layin' down. Zaats, it is, all up in my nose like that. Yo, in a BOTTLE, I mighta yelled "Skunk!", but this wuz madd nice. Mouthfeel was full, like my gas tank before a run, and bringin' some nice spice to the party. Finish was bone-dry, like my wallet the day before payday, dig? This bad boy is going in my cooler quick fast, before the 5-Oh is up my tailpipe. Hang loose, fools, and I'll see you around the 'hood.

12 oz. can.

Golden straw body with a small, gauzy, sticky, eggshell-white head. Nose of sweet, honeyish malts and grains, hay, and a nice dose of sea-air funk hops. Nice. Toasted grains and slightly metallic hop bitterness up front. Mild honey and biscuit malt follows. Spicy, floral, and slightly funky noble hop bitterness takes over. Peppery with lingering honeyish malts in the finish. Moderate body with a very soft mouthfeel. Very quaffable and pretty damn tasty too!

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

A rather random find, but still a great one thanks to the great guys at The Community Tap in Greenville, SC.

Stellar, classic Czech Pils presentation - light and golden in hue, sharp almost rocky head. Aromas solid, crisp and clean with biscuity goodness and fantastic hops cutting straight away. The first taste confirmed my fears - this was damn good. The balance between the malty goodness and the snappy hops make for a quaffable session beer if there ever was one. An outstanding example of the style. This is a Pils that I will absolutely take stock in, without a doubt.

Another fine example of what true session beers CAN be, no pun intended.

Na'zdravi!

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

got this a while back and i have been afraid to crack it open for my fear of pilsners, and by fear i mean general dislike of pilsners. So here goes nothing

Can cracks open with a slight pop. as I start to pour I am greeted by a huge three finger white head that sits atop a beautiful hazy gold. retention is moderate to good. very little lacing.

smell has that old fart smell that seems to be prevalent with the style. meh. not impressed.

wow. taste makes up a lot. crisp. hints of malt and hop dance together. cant really put my finger on the aftertaste. but it is tasty.

mouth is clean and thin. smooth as silk.

this beer is fucking easy to drink. I would have no problem putting back a sixer of this and still be cool for the night. A FANTASTIC session beer.

4.18/5  rDev +13.3%

12 oz can at 42 degrees into a Franziskaner Weizen glass.

A: It pours a transluscent pale yellow to almost clear color with a finger and a half of juicy white head that has great retention and lacing.

S: Pilsner malt, citrus, hay, and light floral hoppiness.

T: Sweet pilsner malt, citrus, mild spiciness, and grass.

M: The body is medium-light with lots of carbonation and a palate-cleansing finish.

D: This is fantastic. I'll be revisiting it often - especially on the golf course.

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Pour - very clean, light golden in color with a nice sharp looking head. Just looking at this cold beer in a glass makes me want to stop thinking about it and just start drinking. Thankfully I've got more!

Aroma - grainy and slightly citric. This smells a bit sulfuric and spot on for the style.

Taste - first gulp and my thirst is almost quenched. This is a sharp, crisp tasting pilsner that tastes almost perfect on this 90 degree evening. Some nice noble hop flavors come out and match well with the slight grainy sweetness. A nice finish leaves the tongue a little dry, the lips a little wet and your brain moving your head back to the glass.

Overall - if you want crisp and refreshing this is your beer. When you think pilsner I hope your thinking of a beer like this because it truly showcases what this not-so-easy to brew style should be. These guys are brewing up some lager-ific magic out in Utah!

Would I buy more of it? - absolutely. This is one of the best pilsners I've had to date and a perfect beer to stock a cooler with on a warm summer day.

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

Color is a pure perfect straw/gold, good dense white head (carbonation was higher off tap than in the can, although this review is of the can, I noticed no difference in the beer other than the lower carbonation).

Aroma is sweet light malts gently mixing with the background of lightly floral/spicey hops. You can tell that this beer was brewed and aged cold and long.

Taste is, gentle malt sweetness then light spice then straw then salt and back to a light sweetness followed by a semi-dry finish.

Very drinkable and very refreshing.

Notes: As far as Utah brews go, this stands out by miles in my opinion because it is 1) TO STYLE, 2) WELL MADE. It would be great if Utah had many great beers from which to choose, but since your best choices are generally between tolerable and insipid, a nice, light, well made brew really hits the spot.

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

Sampled at the brewpub from a flight of sampler glasses.

Bright gold with a large white head

Grainy slightly honeyed aroma with a low crisp noble hop zip.

Flavor is agressively hoppy with a nice refreshing crispness over a soft malt.

End starts crisp with a comfortable dryness. If left with time, the hops and minerals become coating and sandy on the tongue.

Despite that final bite to the finish I thnk this is an impressively done pils beer with a wonderful character and hop attack to the brew

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

A damn good pilsner out of a can! I was soooo excited when I saw this beer being sold at Dan's on Foothill Blvd. I didn't think they were packaging their beers at all! This is the first time I've ever seen Bohemia sold in stores, and the brewery is just too far south for me to visit very often.

And this beer just proved to me that beer in a can CAN be bloody good! I've always loved going to the Bohemian for great food and great pitchers of beer, now I can enjoy it at home too!

Looks like a pilsner! Golden straw color with a very light and airy head that pours a good two fingers thick. The bubbles aren't quite where I'd expect them to be for a Pilsner...but then again those Germans carbonate their beers like crazy, and I've got to stop expecting every beer drinking experience to rival my experiences in Germany. Smells good--just like a pilsner. It's got that stale urine smell--but I don't mean that in a bad way, I promise. That's what pilsners always remind me of. And I've come to love it. I think it's the Saaz hops that give it that smell. It tastes delicious. It's fairly dry, but this particular pilsner is pretty flavorful and fun. Pilsners often bore me, but I'm really enjoying this one. Bottom line: I was planning on drinking one beer tonight. I finished the first one and couldn't help but open a second. What does that tell you? Good beer.

NOTE TO BOHEMIAN BREWERY:
Please package and distribute more of your beer, and at more than just Dan's on Foothill! Keep it up, you guys rock! If anybody sees their beer being sold anywhere else, please notify me!

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer looks like a Pilsner with that unmistakable straw golden color and a bright white sticky cap of foam. A crisp aroma offered pale malts and bitter spicy hops. A snappy palate presents the flavor profile: a fresh dose of light malt followed by grassy, spicy hops. This beer hit the spot after a long hot day. Very refreshing.

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

Clear deep golden colored beer with a small white colored head.

Smells malty with a strong noble hop scent. Spicy and grassy and a little soap smelling. Slight sour scent here.

Starts out fairly hoppy with a strong grassy hop taste. Assertive hop bite with a medium bitterness. Slightly spicy this is a beer that really wakes your taste buds up. Little bit of soapy hop taste.

Mouthfeel is on the light side.

Overall tasty, possibly the best lager in Utah.

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

12 oz can purchased from an actual grocery store here in SLC. I poured this into my perfect pint.

Appearance: Light straw in color with more haze than expected from a pilsener. A nice white clingy inch head with lacing all the way down, impressive for 4 ABV.

Smell: Malts, grass, hay and herbal hops. A mild honey sweetness. Smells like a good lager should.

Taste: Crisp with a mildly hoppy cleanness. I think this a solid example of what a brewer can do with a 4.0ABV limit cap. Joe has packed a lot of flavor into this beer for it's size.

Mouthfeel: Even a little thicker than other comparable beers. A mostly clean finish with a bit of hoppy bite, just a touch, on the end.

Overall: Probably my go go grocery store beer here in Utah. This one should scare away people new to trying "other" beers.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

12 oz Can (4% ABV) picked up at Ruby's Inn outsdie Bryce Canyon NP.

Sat outside our motel room I poured the can into two toothbrush plastic cups, I had nothing else to use!

The beer was a golden pilsner colour (what a suprise) and had a pure white head which gave some good lacing on our plastic cups.

My notes mention a good body depth, that the beer had character and good attributes which came through from the start of the tasting.

All in all, a good pilsner, as good as many original Czech ones I've reviewed anyway.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Poured from a can to a pilsener glass. Had a golden yellow color and a clear texture. There was an inch of foamy, long-lasting head. Pretty good lacing.

S: A subtle aroma of malt, hops and tiny bit of citrus.

T: Tasted of Czech hops, malt, and some lemon. Not the most complex of flavors, but solid nonetheless.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a mostly dry finish. Light-bodied.

D: Not a perfect beer, but definitely drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a German Stange glass.

A-Darker orange hue with some cloudiness. Hints of golden-yellow. Nice creamy white head that left considerable lacing on the sides and a foamy film on the surface of the beer.

S-Not a lot going on here. Hints of lemon peel and malt is all I could really pick up. Maybe some spice...?

T-Nice and refreshing feel going in with a salt and pepper aftertaste. It is just the way I like my pils: peppery, dry, and a little bit of sweet malt. I could sense some citrus-like flavors, but not too much. Just enough to keep the flavor balanced. I sensed a little metallic/irony flavor every so often...maybe it's because of the Utah liquor laws to keep all beers in the supermarket at 4% ABV, or maybe it was the water they used? Who knows...

M-Light to medium body with carbonation a bit on the high side, but not enough to ruin the beer.

Overall, I am in the beginning process of bidding "farewell" to summer by drinking as many pils and kolsch out of my stange glass. I have tried to find a decent enough Czech style Pils to quench my thirst (besides the delicious Budvar), and I think this is the one!

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »