Czech Pilsener - Bohemian Brewery

good

Bohemian Brewery visit their website
Utah, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.00% ABV

Light crisp full bodied, well aged lager made from Pilsen malt, and real Czech yeast from Prague, Czech Republic.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

12 oz can poured into a shaker pint. Slightly hazy light gold body with a finger and then some's worth of fluffy white head that slowly settles down into a skim, leaving scattered patches of lacing.

Smells of biscuity malt, straw and grassy hops. Not particularly bold, but quite pleasant. A bit of sweetness seems to float in and out. The flavor pretty much follows suit. Not a bad tasting brew at all, although it's somewhat lacking in crispness and noble hop spiciness. A few tweaks away from being pretty damned good.

PDXHops, Dec 07, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

A rather random find, but still a great one thanks to the great guys at The Community Tap in Greenville, SC.

Stellar, classic Czech Pils presentation - light and golden in hue, sharp almost rocky head. Aromas solid, crisp and clean with biscuity goodness and fantastic hops cutting straight away. The first taste confirmed my fears - this was damn good. The balance between the malty goodness and the snappy hops make for a quaffable session beer if there ever was one. An outstanding example of the style. This is a Pils that I will absolutely take stock in, without a doubt.

Another fine example of what true session beers CAN be, no pun intended.

Na'zdravi!

goindownsouth, Dec 06, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +3%

A: Poured from a can to a pilsener glass. Had a golden yellow color and a clear texture. There was an inch of foamy, long-lasting head. Pretty good lacing.

S: A subtle aroma of malt, hops and tiny bit of citrus.

T: Tasted of Czech hops, malt, and some lemon. Not the most complex of flavors, but solid nonetheless.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a mostly dry finish. Light-bodied.

D: Not a perfect beer, but definitely drinkable.

avalon07, Nov 14, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

The CANQuest (TM) CANtinues on its merry way. They CAN't hold me back, yo! One dude lost the BOTTLE and had to CANcede 'cause this is how we roll now. CAN you dig it?

From the CAN: From the CAN: The word "Beer" in its many forms, including "IINBO (sort of my Cyrillic), Bier, Biere, Cerveja, Birra, Pivo, [Japanse or Chinese characters], Cerveza, Bier and Biere" and "Best if served in a glass." Fair dinkum, but how come we never get the word for CAN, which is far more important? CANs = Dosen, Boites, Lattine, Lattas, and Blikken. Also, "Pilsener is a style of beer, developed in the city of Plzen (Pilsen in German/English), Western Bohemia (now the Czech Republic). It is generally distinguished from other lagers by a more pronounced hop character, particularly from the use of Saaz (pronounced 'Zaats') Noble hops." Finally, "Old school brew" in olde English lettering. Yo!

Music: We're kickin' it olde school wit 2pac and some noble (hip) hops, yo! For the non-rappers among us, that'd be Tupac Shakur and "Old School". CAN you dig that?

Yo, dis Crack & Glug jaunt is da bomb, yo! Who CAN mess wit' a finger of bubbly, bone-white head every time out the gate? Color was a deep gold, like some of the bling I'm sportin' on my grill and clear like the raps I'm layin' down. Zaats, it is, all up in my nose like that. Yo, in a BOTTLE, I mighta yelled "Skunk!", but this wuz madd nice. Mouthfeel was full, like my gas tank before a run, and bringin' some nice spice to the party. Finish was bone-dry, like my wallet the day before payday, dig? This bad boy is going in my cooler quick fast, before the 5-Oh is up my tailpipe. Hang loose, fools, and I'll see you around the 'hood.

woodychandler, Sep 06, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer looks like a Pilsner with that unmistakable straw golden color and a bright white sticky cap of foam. A crisp aroma offered pale malts and bitter spicy hops. A snappy palate presents the flavor profile: a fresh dose of light malt followed by grassy, spicy hops. This beer hit the spot after a long hot day. Very refreshing.

BeardedBoffin, Sep 03, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Pour - very clean, light golden in color with a nice sharp looking head. Just looking at this cold beer in a glass makes me want to stop thinking about it and just start drinking. Thankfully I've got more!

Aroma - grainy and slightly citric. This smells a bit sulfuric and spot on for the style.

Taste - first gulp and my thirst is almost quenched. This is a sharp, crisp tasting pilsner that tastes almost perfect on this 90 degree evening. Some nice noble hop flavors come out and match well with the slight grainy sweetness. A nice finish leaves the tongue a little dry, the lips a little wet and your brain moving your head back to the glass.

Overall - if you want crisp and refreshing this is your beer. When you think pilsner I hope your thinking of a beer like this because it truly showcases what this not-so-easy to brew style should be. These guys are brewing up some lager-ific magic out in Utah!

Would I buy more of it? - absolutely. This is one of the best pilsners I've had to date and a perfect beer to stock a cooler with on a warm summer day.

indiapaleale, Aug 10, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz Can (4% ABV) picked up at Ruby's Inn outsdie Bryce Canyon NP.

Sat outside our motel room I poured the can into two toothbrush plastic cups, I had nothing else to use!

The beer was a golden pilsner colour (what a suprise) and had a pure white head which gave some good lacing on our plastic cups.

My notes mention a good body depth, that the beer had character and good attributes which came through from the start of the tasting.

All in all, a good pilsner, as good as many original Czech ones I've reviewed anyway.

BlackHaddock, Jun 05, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +26.2%

This is a great Pilsenser. It has the nice Saaz hop aroma and bitterness you would expect from a Czech Pilsener. Whats nice about this beer is you can get it at places like the golf course and ski resorts. I was really happy to find this beer in a can for this reason. I had it both in the can and poured in the glass. Perhaps it's just me but it had a improved mouthfeel and aroma coming from being poured into the glass. The can hid some of that. When poured into the glass it poured with a nice head. Had really good clarity. No haze at all. Small bubbles and went down really easy. I had about 4 cans one after another and enjoyed them more and more. I love this beer!

digitalczech, Jan 25, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a modest head; the retention was fair as was the lacing

Smell: Biscuity, but there is no noble hop aroma

Taste: Opens with the biscuit, with a developing floral hap character in full force by mid-palate; after the swallow, the hops and the malt balance each other nicely

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body; crisp carbonation

Drinkability: Not as flavorful as some of the other canned pilsners from the East Coast, but a very nice drinker indeed

Thanks, Douglas88, for the opportunity

brentk56, Nov 25, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +18%

appearance: Golden pale with quickly disapating head retention, resembled what a lager sould be with fast rising bubble action from top to bottom

smell: light on the aroma as a classic pilsner should be. slight aroma from the hops

taste: like I was back in prague. it;s really hard to get a quality and fresh pilsner in the US thats taste correctly.

mouthfeel: light bodied. very easy to put down. great summer feeling

drinkability: awesome beer, the way they are supposed to be made. very traditional.

CampusCrew, Sep 28, 2009

12 oz. can.

Golden straw body with a small, gauzy, sticky, eggshell-white head. Nose of sweet, honeyish malts and grains, hay, and a nice dose of sea-air funk hops. Nice. Toasted grains and slightly metallic hop bitterness up front. Mild honey and biscuit malt follows. Spicy, floral, and slightly funky noble hop bitterness takes over. Peppery with lingering honeyish malts in the finish. Moderate body with a very soft mouthfeel. Very quaffable and pretty damn tasty too!

alexgash, Sep 01, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a one finger white head over a hazed dull straw liquid. Smells earthy and Saaz during the pour. To the nose, wet paper, heinekin hoppy (which many call skunky, but usually isn't). Sugary piney and tin-like saaz. Peppery zing is well done. Some mustiness.

Tastes wet paper. Potent hop flavor with mild hop bitter and a gentle zing. Malt sweet plays throughout with a blend of flour flavor. Hop flavor is dry earthy, oranges, and iron on the sides of the tongue. Flat ending just barely misses the mark for the style.

Light liquid byt dextrinous in the mouth. Efferveescent moouthfeel works with the spicy zing, but the zing isn't quite enough for the style. Papery oxidation was distracting and I would have rated much higher if this character had been missing.

mentor, Apr 02, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +15%

got this a while back and i have been afraid to crack it open for my fear of pilsners, and by fear i mean general dislike of pilsners. So here goes nothing

Can cracks open with a slight pop. as I start to pour I am greeted by a huge three finger white head that sits atop a beautiful hazy gold. retention is moderate to good. very little lacing.

smell has that old fart smell that seems to be prevalent with the style. meh. not impressed.

wow. taste makes up a lot. crisp. hints of malt and hop dance together. cant really put my finger on the aftertaste. but it is tasty.

mouth is clean and thin. smooth as silk.

this beer is fucking easy to drink. I would have no problem putting back a sixer of this and still be cool for the night. A FANTASTIC session beer.

Mauerhan, Feb 24, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours clear golden with a white head that leaves lacing.

The smell is grainy and very floral.

The taste is bready and grainy with bitter floral notes. A bit overhopped/bitter for style - I like my hops, but this pushes it, even for style. A bit of yeast comes through, too. Could use firmer malt backbone. Crisp finish.

LIght-bodied, a bit thin, though.

Easy to drink - has a bitter bite, but is smooth.

jwc215, Jul 16, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +24%

This is one of my favorite lagers. A nice golden yellow apperence. Pours with a Great white head, with wonderful aromas of spicy saaz hops. This lager has a Crisp, dry clean flavor. You can taste the both the malt and the hops. A very well balanced beer. I can drink this beer all night long.
Cheers

Fishdawg71, Jan 16, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

Review from notes taken this summer.

A clear golden yellow color, light white head, moderate carbonation. Aroma is classic pilsner, with notes of fresh grass. A nice flowery hop flavor with some nutty notes as well. Mouthfeel is smooth and buttery. Very creamy. Somewhat unexpected, but very nice indeed. A very light, easy to drink pilsner. Different taste than others i've had makes this one a pleasure to drink & leaves me wanting more. This beer is also available in cans at the brewery or in various stores around SLC.

BigJTrucker, Aug 31, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

Color is a pure perfect straw/gold, good dense white head (carbonation was higher off tap than in the can, although this review is of the can, I noticed no difference in the beer other than the lower carbonation).

Aroma is sweet light malts gently mixing with the background of lightly floral/spicey hops. You can tell that this beer was brewed and aged cold and long.

Taste is, gentle malt sweetness then light spice then straw then salt and back to a light sweetness followed by a semi-dry finish.

Very drinkable and very refreshing.

Notes: As far as Utah brews go, this stands out by miles in my opinion because it is 1) TO STYLE, 2) WELL MADE. It would be great if Utah had many great beers from which to choose, but since your best choices are generally between tolerable and insipid, a nice, light, well made brew really hits the spot.

xymyl, Mar 08, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

A damn good pilsner out of a can! I was soooo excited when I saw this beer being sold at Dan's on Foothill Blvd. I didn't think they were packaging their beers at all! This is the first time I've ever seen Bohemia sold in stores, and the brewery is just too far south for me to visit very often.

And this beer just proved to me that beer in a can CAN be bloody good! I've always loved going to the Bohemian for great food and great pitchers of beer, now I can enjoy it at home too!

Looks like a pilsner! Golden straw color with a very light and airy head that pours a good two fingers thick. The bubbles aren't quite where I'd expect them to be for a Pilsner...but then again those Germans carbonate their beers like crazy, and I've got to stop expecting every beer drinking experience to rival my experiences in Germany. Smells good--just like a pilsner. It's got that stale urine smell--but I don't mean that in a bad way, I promise. That's what pilsners always remind me of. And I've come to love it. I think it's the Saaz hops that give it that smell. It tastes delicious. It's fairly dry, but this particular pilsner is pretty flavorful and fun. Pilsners often bore me, but I'm really enjoying this one. Bottom line: I was planning on drinking one beer tonight. I finished the first one and couldn't help but open a second. What does that tell you? Good beer.

NOTE TO BOHEMIAN BREWERY:
Please package and distribute more of your beer, and at more than just Dan's on Foothill! Keep it up, you guys rock! If anybody sees their beer being sold anywhere else, please notify me!

andythejerk, Nov 21, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

A - Was a yellowish color, some carbonation, small head, nice lacing throughout the drink.

S - Scents of hops and sweet malts.

T - The taste was hoppy, but kinda watery.

M - Light - Medium body, nice carbonation. A well rounded beer.

D - Very drinkable. Most likely would buy again.

Wasatch, Mar 12, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

Sampled at the brewpub from a flight of sampler glasses.

Bright gold with a large white head

Grainy slightly honeyed aroma with a low crisp noble hop zip.

Flavor is agressively hoppy with a nice refreshing crispness over a soft malt.

End starts crisp with a comfortable dryness. If left with time, the hops and minerals become coating and sandy on the tongue.

Despite that final bite to the finish I thnk this is an impressively done pils beer with a wonderful character and hop attack to the brew

drewbage, Apr 17, 2004