Czech Pilsener - Bohemian Brewery

Bohemian Brewery visit their website
Utah, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2004

Light crisp full bodied, well aged lager made from Pilsen malt, and real Czech yeast from Prague, Czech Republic.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.55/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a one finger white head over a hazed dull straw liquid. Smells earthy and Saaz during the pour. To the nose, wet paper, heinekin hoppy (which many call skunky, but usually isn't). Sugary piney and tin-like saaz. Peppery zing is well done. Some mustiness.

Tastes wet paper. Potent hop flavor with mild hop bitter and a gentle zing. Malt sweet plays throughout with a blend of flour flavor. Hop flavor is dry earthy, oranges, and iron on the sides of the tongue. Flat ending just barely misses the mark for the style.

Light liquid byt dextrinous in the mouth. Efferveescent moouthfeel works with the spicy zing, but the zing isn't quite enough for the style. Papery oxidation was distracting and I would have rated much higher if this character had been missing.

4.16/5  rDev +12.1%

got this a while back and i have been afraid to crack it open for my fear of pilsners, and by fear i mean general dislike of pilsners. So here goes nothing

Can cracks open with a slight pop. as I start to pour I am greeted by a huge three finger white head that sits atop a beautiful hazy gold. retention is moderate to good. very little lacing.

smell has that old fart smell that seems to be prevalent with the style. meh. not impressed.

wow. taste makes up a lot. crisp. hints of malt and hop dance together. cant really put my finger on the aftertaste. but it is tasty.

mouth is clean and thin. smooth as silk.

this beer is fucking easy to drink. I would have no problem putting back a sixer of this and still be cool for the night. A FANTASTIC session beer.

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours clear golden with a white head that leaves lacing.

The smell is grainy and very floral.

The taste is bready and grainy with bitter floral notes. A bit overhopped/bitter for style - I like my hops, but this pushes it, even for style. A bit of yeast comes through, too. Could use firmer malt backbone. Crisp finish.

LIght-bodied, a bit thin, though.

Easy to drink - has a bitter bite, but is smooth.

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%

This is one of my favorite lagers. A nice golden yellow apperence. Pours with a Great white head, with wonderful aromas of spicy saaz hops. This lager has a Crisp, dry clean flavor. You can taste the both the malt and the hops. A very well balanced beer. I can drink this beer all night long.

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

Review from notes taken this summer.

A clear golden yellow color, light white head, moderate carbonation. Aroma is classic pilsner, with notes of fresh grass. A nice flowery hop flavor with some nutty notes as well. Mouthfeel is smooth and buttery. Very creamy. Somewhat unexpected, but very nice indeed. A very light, easy to drink pilsner. Different taste than others i've had makes this one a pleasure to drink & leaves me wanting more. This beer is also available in cans at the brewery or in various stores around SLC.

4.08/5  rDev +10%

Color is a pure perfect straw/gold, good dense white head (carbonation was higher off tap than in the can, although this review is of the can, I noticed no difference in the beer other than the lower carbonation).

Aroma is sweet light malts gently mixing with the background of lightly floral/spicey hops. You can tell that this beer was brewed and aged cold and long.

Taste is, gentle malt sweetness then light spice then straw then salt and back to a light sweetness followed by a semi-dry finish.

Very drinkable and very refreshing.

Notes: As far as Utah brews go, this stands out by miles in my opinion because it is 1) TO STYLE, 2) WELL MADE. It would be great if Utah had many great beers from which to choose, but since your best choices are generally between tolerable and insipid, a nice, light, well made brew really hits the spot.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

A damn good pilsner out of a can! I was soooo excited when I saw this beer being sold at Dan's on Foothill Blvd. I didn't think they were packaging their beers at all! This is the first time I've ever seen Bohemia sold in stores, and the brewery is just too far south for me to visit very often.

And this beer just proved to me that beer in a can CAN be bloody good! I've always loved going to the Bohemian for great food and great pitchers of beer, now I can enjoy it at home too!

Looks like a pilsner! Golden straw color with a very light and airy head that pours a good two fingers thick. The bubbles aren't quite where I'd expect them to be for a Pilsner...but then again those Germans carbonate their beers like crazy, and I've got to stop expecting every beer drinking experience to rival my experiences in Germany. Smells good--just like a pilsner. It's got that stale urine smell--but I don't mean that in a bad way, I promise. That's what pilsners always remind me of. And I've come to love it. I think it's the Saaz hops that give it that smell. It tastes delicious. It's fairly dry, but this particular pilsner is pretty flavorful and fun. Pilsners often bore me, but I'm really enjoying this one. Bottom line: I was planning on drinking one beer tonight. I finished the first one and couldn't help but open a second. What does that tell you? Good beer.

Please package and distribute more of your beer, and at more than just Dan's on Foothill! Keep it up, you guys rock! If anybody sees their beer being sold anywhere else, please notify me!

3.42/5  rDev -7.8%

A - Was a yellowish color, some carbonation, small head, nice lacing throughout the drink.

S - Scents of hops and sweet malts.

T - The taste was hoppy, but kinda watery.

M - Light - Medium body, nice carbonation. A well rounded beer.

D - Very drinkable. Most likely would buy again.

3.98/5  rDev +7.3%

Sampled at the brewpub from a flight of sampler glasses.

Bright gold with a large white head

Grainy slightly honeyed aroma with a low crisp noble hop zip.

Flavor is agressively hoppy with a nice refreshing crispness over a soft malt.

End starts crisp with a comfortable dryness. If left with time, the hops and minerals become coating and sandy on the tongue.

Despite that final bite to the finish I thnk this is an impressively done pils beer with a wonderful character and hop attack to the brew

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last