O'Leary's Irish Red - Court Avenue Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Court Avenue Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

Irish Red Ale |  5.38% ABV

(Beer added by: bditty187 on 07-30-2003)
3.73/5  rDev +3.3%

Burnt orange (think Texas Longhorns) with a considerable amount of brick red; a good hue for an Irish red ale. The ecru cap was the typical size for a bar pour and was nearly gone inside of two minutes. A razor thin film and skimpy rings of lace were visible thereafter.

The nose was fairly unimpressive with its meager notes of caramel malt and fruit. No matter how many times I smelled the beer, though, I couldn't appreciate what was so surprising about the flavor; namely, bitterness. Of course, bitterness (as opposed to hoppiness) doesn't have an olfactory component that I'm aware of.

Amber ales, red ales and Irish red ales aren't usually interesting to me unless they're hoppy. Without that particular flavor hook, they usually put me to sleep. So, I was fully prepared to nod off when a pint of O'Leary's Irish Red was put in front of me late this afternoon. 'What's this...' said I, after I had taken three large gulps from my glass, '... but the unmistakable bitter pucker of Cascade hops'.

Even though the caramel malt bottom end was well done from a flavor standpoint, the beer still could have used more malt. Both to fill out the body and to counteract the significant bitterness. The white grapefruit pithiness left little doubt that Cascade hops were in the house, a fact that was confirmed by the barman when he checked the beer menu.

I wish the pure, clean bitterness had contained more hop flavor, but for a hophead, I'll take what I can get when it comes to Des Moines brewpub beer. I tried to convince myself that there was some amount of malty sweetness present, without much success. The mouthfeel was on the thin side and was mildly fizzy. Not too bad considering the style, but I see room for improvement.

O'Leary's Irish Red, other than the considerable hoppiness, is a by-the-book version. It has just enough caramel malt flavor onboard to keep it within the bounds of the IRA style. The cascading Cascade hops, with alpha acids on full boil, will be seen by many as an unforgivable character flaw. Not by me. This one was surprisingly good.

BuckeyeNation, Oct 03, 2005
3.48/5  rDev -3.6%

Murky, reddish-brown hue, served with a tiny head, quick to fade, produced no lace. Soft and pleasant nose, caramel malt hints, hops… inviting. The invitation is matched perfectly with the palate. Tremendously drinkable, very balanced… malty, yet restrained, caramel hints (strongest in the aftertaste), mild hoppiness. Soft carbonation. Medium body. This is a tasty and likable brew… try one.

bditty187, Jul 30, 2003
O'Leary's Irish Red from Court Avenue Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.