Oktoberfest - Court Avenue Brewing Company

Court Avenue Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  4.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: bditty187 on 10-19-2003)
1.25/5  rDev -51.7%

What can I say about this one? I have had the previous years Ofest here and while they are not great they are not this! I have drank many a Octoberfest in my day and this one was by far the worst of the bunch. Here is my review.

A-The only thing that was going for it. Nice clear reddish orange, with a nice clean foam that hung in there. It looked great, boy was I in for a suprise. Now it all goes down hill.

S- Umm smell, hello smell, where are you? This smelled like they mixed my beer with something, umm cleaner perhaps.

T- Well ok for the first split second everything was fine..then blech, it tasted awful! It had no malt taste, no hop taste, just bitter solvent hell! I wanted to spit it out. The aftertaste left you with that look like you were expecting good and got nasty(afterall it looked great), that cringe scared look. I even asked for another in a clean glass thinking it was tainted with something like detergent and unfotunately this was the same nasty stuff.

M- yuck

D- Never again.

I have to say that Court Ave has got some issues. I come here about once a week after work and sometimes they get batches that are great other times awful. This O-fest was awful, like so many of there other offerings. They recently had there brewmaster doing a course on how to brew...being a lowly homebrewer with VERY little experience myself I have never had a beer taste as horrible as this stuff. They really really need to get opinions on there beers before throwing them out to the general public.

jlpred55, Oct 03, 2006
3.13/5  rDev +20.8%

Lucent light tawny--like sun tea--with a slim, light beige head that deposits better than average brewpub lace. The nose is of lightly toasted grain with a subtle earthy spiciness. Oktoberfest sports a heavily toasted malt flavor, but isn't sweet at all. I wonder about the actual malt load given the lack of sweetness, the bitter-dry finish and the relative lack of body. I know that brewers labor under the idiodic Iowa ABV law, but still.

The flavor profile consists of dried apples rolled in caramelized sugar (sans sweetness) and heavily toasted grain powder. To my utter amazement, I can also appreciate alcohol. Yes, you read that right, the ABV is 4.3%. I drank the first half of the pint before my meal arrived and the second half with my meal. The food must have coated my taste buds and cancelled out some of the beer's flavor, because the alcohol was much more noticeable after a few bites.

If you're looking for a thin, dry, crisp, flavorful Oktoberfest and don't mind unmasked alcohol, then this Court Avenue seasonal just might be your thing. It ain't mine.

BuckeyeNation, Sep 21, 2004
3.38/5  rDev +30.5%

Tawny-peachy hue with a slight haze. Skimpy off-white head, poor retention, very spotty lace. Light malty nose with kisses of hoppy spice. Not very compelling. For an O-fest bier the taste is not very malty… the hops influence is fitting but the malt foundation is reminiscent of a Helles. Medium body. Solid carbonation. Clean. This O-fest is a little odd for me. It really needs more malt, depth… still I would not consider it flawed, just not great. Fairly drinkable for what it is. Worth trying.

bditty187, Oct 19, 2003
Oktoberfest from Court Avenue Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.