Belgian White - Court Avenue Brewing Company

good

Court Avenue Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

An old Belgian farmhouse style, our white (or wit) is a wheat beer brewed with coriander and Curacao orange peel. A distinctive yeast strain, coupled with these spices, produces a cloudy, almost white beer, that’s fruity, spicy and exceptionally refreshing.

(Beer added by: BuckeyeNation on 08-24-2005)
Reviews by jt31914:
4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

This is the second straight witbier that has been a pleasant surprise for me. Pale and cloudy appearance with an orange-like smell. Tastes of citrus and coriander; fortunately a pear flavor didn't weigh the flavor down. Surprisingly good mouthfeel and drinkability. One of the best wits I've had to date.

jt31914, Jun 12, 2010

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

RelentlessLefty, Dec 28, 2012

harpus, Jun 27, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +8.4%

I had this as part of the tasters rack at the brewery in Des Moines.

Appearance: Pale, cloudy light yellow color.

Smell: I picked up a lot of fruit. Peach and citrus came out as well as some banana from the yeast.

Taste: Surprisingly good. I'm not usually a fan of that Belgian Wheat yeast. This was balanced really well with some citrus flavors and some slight spice and a little sourness off the top.

Mouthfeel: Slightly carbonated but very smooth.

This style is hit or miss for me. This was a hit, I quite enjoyed this brew.

AlleywayRover, Jun 18, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

Whiskeydeez, Oct 07, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

Herky21, Mar 02, 2013

BalancingBrooms, Aug 29, 2014

Gauzy, soft, sunflower yellow. The snowflake white head was small to start and maintained at least a thick disk for several minutes; a patchy film thereafter. Unfortunately, no more than thin, sudsy shards of lace ended up on the glass. The beer itself was classic witbier. The head and lace... not so classic.

The bright, citrusy nose of lemon and orange zest reminded me of a good, hoppy APA more than a witbier, mostly because I couldn't appreciate even a hint of coriander. Therefore, my expectations for the flavor took a downward turn...

... and promptly rallied when I tasted the beer. Belgian White was a wonderful witbier, one that I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. The substantial, yet soft, wheaty base provided creaminess to the mouthfeel despite the relatively light body. I tasted orange peel, lemon peel and maybe even pineapple. The tropical fruity top notes were great and were the best part of the flavor profile.

Unlike the nose, I could appreciate coriander on the palate. I didn't mind the fact that it played second fiddle to the citrus, although I like coriander-heavy wits as well. The mouthfeel was medium for the style, with a light stickiness on the finish, and the carbonation was appropriately peppy without being overdone.

Belgian White is a terrific witbier and is the best beer that I've ever had from Court Avenue. I don't get downtown very often and I haven't been enthused about stopping by this particular brewpub even when I've been in the area. If they continue to offer beer as good as Belgian White, I'll be sure to make more of an effort.

BuckeyeNation, Aug 24, 2005