Sophie's Mild - Court Avenue Brewing Company

Sophie's Mild
No picture uploaded.

Court Avenue Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BuckeyeNation on 08-21-2006)
3.5/5  rDev -2%

jaydoc, Nov 13, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -9%

RelentlessLefty, Jan 27, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A- Med Brownish, not completely clear. Decent head but quite more carbination than I expected at first, settling down to a thin coat of even white.

S- = Average smell, very balanced, toasty dark malts, with mild hop aroma.

T- Really enjoyed the malt level and thought it was very on par with the style. Toasty malt with some faint choc. flavors and a hop tinge coming in mid sip then growing more dominate at the end. Very balanced and nice.

M- Maybe a little more carbination than I expected, my usual experience with this style is more of a watery finish with very little bubbles on the tounge.

D- Very drinkable, very balanced excellent example of this styles drinkability.

jlpred55, Sep 26, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -3.4%

Mildly murky chestnut infused with cranberry and orange. Too bad the bartenderess filled my pint glass to the very top since that eliminated any possibility of a head (other than a razor thin skimming of froth) and ensured that there would be only specks and spatters of ecru lace. I also couldn't help but spill a little beer as I carried it to a bar table. A more professional pour probably would have netted the next highest score.

There's wasn't much to go on with regard to the nose. I was able to appreciate dark fruit in a general sense, although no particular fruits came to mind. A mild earthiness was due--I'm guessing--to a mostly English hop bill. More aroma would have equaled a better aroma.

Sophie's Mild tasted pretty much how I'd expect an English Dark Mild to taste. That doesn't mean that it was a great example of the style. The dominant member of the flavor profile was mild cocoa powder. I applaud the generously toasted brown maltiness of the beer, I just wish that it had contained more malt.

Fruity hops were surprisingly prominent. I think, though, that it wasn't so much a heavy hand with the Goldings (a guess) as a failure of enough malt to effectively counter the bitterness of the hops. Impressively citric burps led me to expand my guess to Goldings and Cascade. Bitter was far and away a greater presence than sour and built upon itself with each successive sip.

The finish was medium in terms of flavor linger and long in terms of bitterness linger. It was also impressively dry. The lack of malt took a toll of the mouthfeel as well. I don't expect much creaminess in an EDMA, but something other than thin and fizzy would have been nice. Fizzy no longer applied by mid-pint, so that helped a little.

Sophie's Mild (named after the brewer's daughter) is a beer with a fair amount of potential. I'm convinced that all it needs is a more solid malt backbone to be a good example of a style that should sell like hotcakes to a wide variety of beer drinkers. As is, it's still probably worth a pint.

BuckeyeNation, Aug 22, 2006
Sophie's Mild from Court Avenue Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.