Salva Vida - Cerveceria Hondurena, S.A. / BevCo Ltd

to view more.
Ratings: 71 | Reviews: 33
Reviews by Overlord:
2.58/5  rDev 0%

Of course I ordered this just so I could tick off another country on the old reviewing chart. Surprisingly, it was only mildly bad, instead of terribly horrendous.

Pours a light golden yellow. Some white crusted foam. Smells faintly sweet, like corn/malt liquor.

Taste is, again, malt liquor like in corn-y sweetness, with some light rotting hay/grass notes, and an interesting bitter bite.

Overly carbonated, despite the lack of any real head.

Eh. not horrible.

1.96/5  rDev -24%

Salva Vida, from Honduras, in a very nice 12 ounce bottle, with a painted on label, and a lot of hype on the back. The beer itself is a deep golden color, with an unpleasant adjuncty aroma/grain aroma. The taste is very sweet, with a hint of a bite towards the end. Aftertaste is a little hoppy. Blah.

2.61/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The Salva Vida pours a golden straw into a pint glass from a 12 oz. can. An inch of white foam settles out moderately. Carbonation was notably better in the can vs. from the bottle though both allowed the carbonation to escape a bit too swiftly.

Sweet corny grain on the nose. Earthy and musky in nature, rich in sweet notes. Bit of noble hops become evident as the beer warms but are otherwise hidden by the sweet notes.

Creamy on the tongue as a syrupy sweetness keeps the carbonation at bay. Malt flavor of adjucts and corn syrup typical of the region. This gives the beer a full and rich body but keeps the drink in check as the sweetness becomes a bit cloying after a couple. Rather rich and surely an acquired taste as the style is consistent throughout much of Central America.

2.74/5  rDev +6.2%

This was poured into a Flying Fish pint glass. It appears about a few shades darker than your average AAL, and the head and lacing look a bit better. The smell is kinda skunky, but there was a bit of cereal and honey in this brew. Mouthfeel is light and somewhat watery, and this is pretty much a beer of last resort.

2.87/5  rDev +11.2%

I love Honduras. I've been there at least half a dozen times. I've been in the cities, I've been in the aldeas, I've been in the mountains, and I've been to the beach resorts. There is no place I'd rather be. There is no food I'd rather eat. They have a dish there called "baleadas". It's a flour tortilla with scrambled eggs, refried beans, crema and anything else you want to put in there. It's so simple and easy to make yet so good.

I remember one time I went to Telamar resort for a day. It was my sister-in-law's birthday, and we wanted her to have a good time. While we were eating lunch, we saw a group of French tourists, and their table was covered with empty bottles of Salva Vida. I figured, hey, it must be pretty good.

I was wrong.

It's a beautiful color. It's a beautiful golden, golden color just like the Honduran sun. It's light; it looks like just the perfect refreshment to cool you down after sitting on the beach or at poolside. But the taste just doesn't come through. It has no beer-ish taste, and there's a slight hint of a metallic taste. It was a hot day. We had been thrashing around in the pool for hours. I was thirsty. But I didn't get another.

2.8/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Like Cerveceria Hondurenas' other brews, this one pour a very clear grassy color, but I do have to say that there is a more golden coloration about it. There is plenty of carbonation rising to the top, suggesting a palate scrubbing experience! Not much head here, and what there is, is a patchwork of soapy white foam. As for lacing, it starts off looking impressive, but fizzles away rather quickly. Overall, not a very appealing brew....just what one would typically expect from an AAL style beer.

S- More malt aromas than it's sister beers, but that doesn't say much really. In general, there is more rice and/or corn adjunct smelled here, and it still has that overboiled quality to it. Nothing in terms of hop aromas either.

T- Refreshing, and with more malt flavor than the sister beers, which is a good thing. That's where the positives stop...it is still full of corn husk adjunct, which dumbs the overall flavor to the point of tasting cheap. No hop bitterness on the finish either, but if I'm strolling the beaches of Roatan, I'm probably not going to complain.

M- Thin bodied, but leans slightly toward medium fullness surprisingly. It is rich in carbonation, keeping any lingering flavors of my palate for any length of time, which is probably a good thing in my opinion.

O- Better than its' sister beers?....yeah, I'd say so, but still this isn't a very drinkable beer....at least nothing I'd seek out, again, unless, I'm in the Honduras and there isn't much selection, which I know there isn't! Clean, refreshing, and crisp, this one is best suited as a very hot weather type beer!

3.1/5  rDev +20.2%

Out of the 3 beers (imperial & port royal) i had during my trip to the Bay Islands, this beer was the best, which isn't saying much. This beer had a decent body & drinkability considering. If anything i would say it compares to Budweiser. Overall if this was the last beer on an island (which it was) i would drink it.

1.79/5  rDev -30.6%

12 oz bottle from beer World of Largo

Aroma is herbal and sharp like a pungent cheese, but with mild lemony notes. Orange-ish in color with a slowly diminishing pinky sized white head. Huge honeycomb flavor in the fore. Not much else. That flavor carries all the way through and leaves a lingering raw honey flavor. It’s not really even very thirst quenching which is one saving grace for some S American Lagers.

2.88/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a light golden amber with a one finger white head with good retention and lacing. Standard adjunct aroma of sweet malt, mild grassy hops and corn, a hint of soap. Flavor follows; sweet malt, hints of bread, grassy hops and biscuit, tapers off quickly to a watery light sweet malt finish with an odd, light residual unflavored bitterness. Light bodied, but decent carbonation. A fairly typical adjunct lager, lighter in finish than normal, but as usual, harmless and bland. Wouldn't be too bad on a hot Honduran afternoon, but just ticker fodder for me.

Salva Vida has a thick, white head and a semi-cloudy golden appearance. Carbonation is moderate, and the smell is of rancid grain and bubble gum. The taste is of barley and some other grains, and the hop presence is almost nil. Mouth-feel is light to moderate, and Salva Vida finishes semi-dry. I did not appreciate the spoiled profile, which, by the way, I NEVER encounter with the supposedly inferior American-made macro-brands. I did not like this, and would not want to have it again.

REVISIT- I had this again on 8/7/11, and it was fresh, roasty, easy-drinking, and pleasant. Apparently, the original sample was somehow spoiled.

RJT

3.6/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From my limited notes a few years ago on a volunteering trip to Honduras. Went through many of these beers when we visited the big city of San Pedro Sula after a week of hard labor and certainly satisfied most of us.

Pours a clear yellow color with a large white head, some lacing.

Smell is a typical lager aroma but with some earthy/grassy notes.

Taste is a bit light, seems more of a light beer, crisp taste with a decent malt backbone and some bitterness to balance out.

I suppose being without a drop of beer for a week in the hot sun while doing manual labor will make any beer taste amazing, but the notes are what they are at the time and I certainly can't argue how easily this beer went down.

2.68/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Similar to the port royal but cleaner.

1.67/5  rDev -35.3%

Had this beer on the Isle of Roatan in Honduras. It poured a light straw color with a fluffy white head, but with a couple brownish foreign objects in the head. Not a good start.
The smell was nonexistant save for a mild, corny sweetness.
Taste was vegetables, corn, and maybe a hint of barley. This was one bad beer. I thought it was one of the worst beers I've ever had... then I tried another brand and THAT was the worst beer I've ever had.

3.18/5  rDev +23.3%

Pours golden with a thin white head that lasts a pretty impressive amount of time for the style. Spotted lacing sticks.

The smell is of buttered popcorn, husk and a touch of hay.

The taste is of buttered popcorn. Sweetness fades as it progresses. Somewhat salty, a touch of hay gives it a dry finish.

It has a crisp, light body - not too fizzy.

The "buttered popcorn" character fades as it progresses, leaving it pretty vacant, but with enough crisp feel to make it an inoffensive "lawn-mower" beer. If it were the summer, and it was offered to me, I would gladly pound back a few!

2.27/5  rDev -12%

After a brief trip to Honduras, I picked up all the beer of the country that I could: Barena, Royal Export and Salva Vida. This one was my the second to least favorite (make sense?!). This one was described to me as the "mans" beer in relation to the "womens" royal export. Looks like they need to work on their demographic as the latter was superior. Or maybe now im embracing a womanhood i didnt know i had.

A: golden yellow color, standard head, standard carbonation.

S: faint bitterness and plenty of rice/adjunct smells with grain.

T: nothing to write home about except it goes well with the heat.

M: Again standard, nothing about the hops stood out on the palate, had a slight thickness in the wash (but thats just by comparison to the other lagers I had).

O: 1916 is when it started, and in 2012 it needed work.

3.21/5  rDev +24.4%

This beer was poured directly into our moths from a fairly clean bottle. The taste and drinkability were bumped up due to us actually drinking this in Honduras. Where, it is excellent compared to the soggy, adjective provided by the five year old son, beers that were the alternatives. It is about a decent american macro alternative.

3.18/5  rDev +23.3%

Stop number two while on the Carnival Valor was Roatan in Honduras where I was able to sample Salva Vida. I asked the waiter if they had any darker beers and he recommended this one. I'm not sure he understood me :) I had this twice while there once in a can and once in a bottle. I found the canned brew metallic, and slightly more carbonated.
Poured into a clear plastic cup at Fat Tuesday's produced a liquid of pale gold color and a minimal head that went poof in the heat. Smells of corn and light husky grain minimal hops with a slight earthy aroma as well. Taste is what I expected. Light sweet malt, corn, slight dms. Smooth creamy/watery mouthfeel, medium body, crisp carbonation. Not a bad quick thirst quencher on a hot day.

2.65/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: golden/straw colored; effervescent; big frothy white head

Smell: citrusy; malty; grassy

Taste: like a slightly hoppy water; very thin throughout; like a megabrew pale lager; not much to talk about here; probably good on a hot day after mowing the lawn, but otherwise, meh.

Mouthfeel: thin and watery

3.27/5  rDev +26.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a Pilsner glass.

Appearance: a nice pale golden color with a good deal of apparent effervescence. Head poured a thin finger of white foam and lacks tenacity, but otherwise a decent-enough looking beer.

Smell: malty aroma with a nice complement of noble hops; on top of this, it lacks obvious flaws. As adjunct lagers go, it's pretty damn good.

Taste: starts off with a nice malty flavor and peters out rather quickly. Bitterness is low. It is clean, though, and again lacks obvious flaws.

Mouthfeel: light body with a decent, effervescent carbonation. Actually pretty decent.

Overall: I like a good light lager in certain circumstances. Given a choice, I rather like Salva Vida as a nice thirst quencher.

2.68/5  rDev +3.9%

Picked this one up at a local mexican grocery store. They also had a few others I had never tried before, but this one was one of the few singles. Overall it was just you average central american brew. Light straw color with light white head. Smell of corn, slight alcohol, and some hops. It actually started out kind of skunky, but mellowed out the longer it was out of the bottle.

3.36/5  rDev +30.2%

This is the first brew I have tried from Honduras. While not expecting much from the nondescript can, I was actually surprised to find it had some quality to it. First off, the bright white head was very attractive and sumptuous, and quite creamy, leaving a delicious-looking bulge at the top of the glass like a finely poured hefe. It stayed nicely, with an ice-cream velvety look, leaving thick lacing. Beer colour is very light, almost bordering on a light green. Crystal clear and sparkling. I had to give appearance a 4 simply for the head, which really surprised me for its consistency. The smell is fresh, not terribly exciting, but it still smells better than so many North American beers in the same category. Other than some decent maltiness and a touch of dusty hops, the aroma is average, but better by far than so many other regular lagers. Taste is pretty much all watery malt, some caramel and roasted bread flavours, little dryness, and even less body. There is actually very little aftertaste at all. Mostly a sweetish feel to the palate. While not complex, it is quite unoffensive, and very quenching. The mouthfeel is extremely light and fleeting, and quite watery, which is probably intentional. A notable characteristic is the very low level of carbonation for a canned lager--compared to my own local similar products, this feels like water in the mouth simply because of the relatively nonexistent carbonation. The lack of pop-fizz carbonation was actually quite a nice change. This renders it very drinkable though--after all, I imagine drinking this in the warmer climes of Honduras would make it taste better; I do not think it was marketed for a sub-zero Alberta day in March. Indeed, for sheer quaffability, this has to rate highly--it goes down like water. Conclusion: seeing as this was transported from Honduras to the states by a friend and then brought to me, probably over a course of 5 months, I was really surprised at its quality. Judged by itself Salva Vida is nothing extraordinary, but in its category, and being from a country not noted for craft brewing, this is a decent find--wish I had a six-pack for the summer.

2.3/5  rDev -10.9%

In my continuing world tour of beers, I travel metaphorically to lovely, exotic Honduras only to find my self in the industrial district of Milwaukee. Salva Vida has all the right Spanish marketing elements to appeal to me: the name translates as "life saver", a great association with a beer even if it isn't literally true. The beer is pure Miller with its lagered corn flavor. The color is nice and light, and like Miller, it goes down light and easy on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn. Maybe the Honduran ad campaign involves young, barely clad 20-somethings shouting "Gustos Grandes!" and "Menos Relleno!" at each other. So... light, airy, impotent odor, harmless flavor. I added to the grade just for being from Honduras. Viva Honduras, not-so-much to Miller beer.

2.56/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A - pours a pale golden yellow with a pretty nice looking head on it. The head settles and forms what amounts to an above average looking adjunct lager.

N - nose is nothing but aluminum/metal and some off grain flavors. Not too pleasant on the nose.

T - the taste is better than the smell - soft grainy malts with a touch of dry grassy hops (the hops are a reach). Nothing else going on - pretty straightforward adjunct (not that I was expecting anything else).

M - nice carbonation and body

D - overall, it is somewhat refreshing, but would be even more so if there was some more flavor in it. Obviously, when in Honduras there aren't a lot of options, but I think I would take a water over this for the price.

3.66/5  rDev +41.9%

Recently spent a week in Roatan and drank a lot of the 4 Honduran beers on the island in the hot sun. They were quite refreshing given the weather and suited their purpose perfectly, ie: quenching thirst. I'll review all 4 at once, from what I can remember, so anyone looking to try these when they visit can have an idea of what's in store.

All were drank straight from the bottle.

Barena - This was the worst of the bunch in my opinion. Heavy aroma and flavor of DMS. It's pretty much overpowering and you can't taste anything else. Comes in a clear glass bottle so, although mine wasn't, could be easily light struck. Very clear diluted yellow in color with a bright white head that didn't last at all with each sip. Tried it once and never had it again.

Port Royal - This was possibly the cleanest of all the beers. But that also meant that it had very little flavor to speak of. Very crisp, easy to drink (fast) and thirst quenching...but aside from a little DMS in the after taste had very little going on. Came in a green glass bottle and was very clear.

Imperial - This one came in a brown bottle so that was a nice change. Not so loaded with DMS to turn me away in flavor in aroma. Had a little more body than the first 2 and little more going on in flavor...there may have been a little malt used in there after all.

Salva Vida - This quickly became my go-to beer on the island. It came in a brown bottle and had good head retention everytime the bottle was tipped to sip. Never took it out of the bottle except to drink but it looked very clear in the bottle with a white big carbonation head. Slight DMS in the taste and aroma. It had some mroe going on though...You could actually tell they used hops in the beer (although still not very prevelent) and there was a little malt in there too.

All in all they are 4 similar beers brewed by the same brewery. Not the best beer to drink but they serve the purpose when it's 85 and sunny and you've been at the beach all day and need a thirst quencher while sitting on the porch in the evening. I'd recommend trying them all for yourself but Salva is the winner in my book.

On a side note. I learned that some rich guy went over to Roatan and actually built a brewery. He planned to brew beer for the island, and I believe tried to, but was quickly run out of the business by the big wigs. I guess they went to all the businesses on the island and paid them NOT to sell his beer and continue to sell these 4 as the only local beers on the island. He tried to sell the brewery but was unsuccessful and he now makes soda with the equipment.

2.78/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Poured a golden color with a white head that fades quickly to a ring

S - Has a sweet grainy malt and corn nose

T - Follows the nose sweet grainy malt with corn flavors

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - Overall this isn't really even an average beer for the style sure theres worse out there but don't bother with this one

to view more.