Hop Stalker Fresh Hop IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon visit their website
Ohio, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BB1313 on 10-09-2013

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 269 | Reviews: 22
4.16/5  rDev -4.8%

3.91/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.85/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev +3%

4.76/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

4.5/5  rDev +3%

4.11/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a 16oz. "tallboy" can into a standard pint glass.
Hazy gold with a nice cap of off-white foam.
Aroma-Big dose of fresh juicy hops
Taste-Full-on dank piney hops. Fresh and flavorful.

4.53/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.14/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The front of the CAN clearly delineates the name as “Hop Stalker Fresh Hop IPA” and the reverse of the CAN says that it originated from their Middleburg Heights, OH location. I have submitted updates, but I am going to post this review under every potential entry until this CAN be unscrewed.

Here is another CAN courtesy of the good peeps at The Fridge. Futty got me a CAN of Fiddlehead B.C. Second Fiddle during a recent trip to Vermont and now Kevin Brown laid a CAN of this on me when a customer came in with a bunch of them following a trip to Ohio. I pays to advertise! I had wanted to trade for this when it first came out, but given The CANQuest’s ™ current backlog, I am being judicious in pulling in more beer for the time being. In fact, Brown made me promise to drink it sooner, rather than later. Aye aye! The bottom reads: “CANned on 10/15/14 10:16”.

From the CAN: “[-] Pour It Slowly [-] Unfiltered Beer Captured Inside [-] Go Commando [-] Drink it Fresh”; “Deep in the Yakima Valley, our hop-obsessed Head Brewmaster went commando in search of his prized nuggets. His mission: Capture the freshest hop flowers he could sneak up on. Then he wet-hopped this bad-ass brew for a deliciously dank IPA. Out of the wild emerged The Hop Stalker.”; “Chill Out Man, Have A Beer! ™ [undersigned] Matt [-] Chris [-] Glenn”; “Don’t let your [CAN ] wander. Stalk a recycling bin.”

Heaven forbid! My CANs now go to Jeff Lebo for inclusion in his House of CANs. I will recycle BMC and pop CANs, but not a craft CAN such as this.

All preliminaries having been accomplished, it was time for the Crack! Not only did it reveal another brimful craft CAN, but I got a Squirt across my fingertips to boot. It took a lot of willpower NOT to CANduct an inverted Glug, but the CAN specifically told me not to and I promised #TheOldLady back in July 2013 that I would not do so if the CAN advised against it. A promise is a promise, so I inclined both glass and CAN, although I was not inclined to do so, and used a very gentle deCANting process. I still produced a finger of dense, tawny head, but it quickly faded, leaving some really sticky lacing in its wake. Nose was dank, earthy, like freshly upturned soil, with notes of grass, lemon zest and evergreen. Color was a solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity, which may be why they wanted a gentle pour: there may be bits to rouse at the end. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was MUCH earthier than Sixpoint Sensi, which I had previous to this one. I would be curious to know what hop varieties were used in each of them. While this did not have a pronounced hoppy bitterness, per se, it was clearly higher in ABV than my two previous beers. That earthiness reminded me of summer tomatoes or peppers, both of which my next door neighbor grows and allows me to pick and eat. Very little goes to waste around me as a lifelong bachelor and I have no CANpunction about eating FF&V. Finish was dry, but not bitter. It was very earthy and quite mellow. If they make it again next year, I may try to get some on a timelier basis, but I still think that it held up well. I was not getting a lot of malt characteristics, which is indicative of fading hops. And now for the final pour. Will it be like a box of Cracker Jacks and there will be a special prize at the bottom? I agitated the CAN repeatedly before engaging in an agro pour. Waste not, want not, I always say. I got a tad bit of lees, but the favor profile did not markedly change.

4.16/5  rDev -4.8%

4.21/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

1 PINT can
Served in a nonic pint glass

L - It pours golden amber in color. It is crystal clear. It is topped with several inches of eggshell head.

S - The smell is great. I pick up on some citrus. It's dank, and I even smell a little weed.

T - The taste consists of bitter grapefruit. It is dank with a pine finish.

F - Medium

O - Yet another great offering from Fat Heads. They seem to do no wrong with hops.

4.31/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

4.38/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.74/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev -7.1%

4.21/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev -6.4%

4.44/5  rDev +1.6%

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

3.75/5  rDev -14.2%

4.44/5  rDev +1.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hop Stalker Fresh Hop IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon