Hop Stalker Fresh Hop IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BB1313 on 10-09-2013

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Bright copper color on the pour it's head is cream colored forms thick bands of lacing evenly as it settles out a bit.

Aroma has dank earthy citrus notes hops right off the vine with tropical fruit notes think papaya and pineapple in there amongst the foray of hops. Biscuit malts give off a bit of bread like notes and perceived malt sweetness.

Flavor is pure hop juice, I'm sucking on hop candy raw hops with balanced sweetness Citra is one of the hops harmed in the making of this beer. Big citrus rind, tropical fruit notes including mango/pineapple on the palate. Stream of hop oils crosses the palate, this batch was canned on 10/15/14 I'm in heaven!!!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied slightly resinous in the fact that you feel like there are hop oils flowing across your palate within that experience is one of the most amazing hop profiles I've come across so drinkable, burping hop hops even carbonation canned a day ago.

Overall, incredible experience from Fat Head's I hope to have more like this...I'm probably driving down to Fathead's again soon to grab some more!!! They are that good!

Canned 10/15/14

Nice amber-ish color. Nose is vegetal hop tones. Flavor brings the same smooth vegetal tone. It's smooth and definitely nice and there is a nice oily vegetal thing going on. Not really blowing me away or anything though. Doesn't seem worthy of a 4.38 rating. (The average score when I rated this one.)

3.75/5  rDev -14.4%

4.21/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.14/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The front of the CAN clearly delineates the name as “Hop Stalker Fresh Hop IPA” and the reverse of the CAN says that it originated from their Middleburg Heights, OH location. I have submitted updates, but I am going to post this review under every potential entry until this CAN be unscrewed.

Here is another CAN courtesy of the good peeps at The Fridge. Futty got me a CAN of Fiddlehead B.C. Second Fiddle during a recent trip to Vermont and now Kevin Brown laid a CAN of this on me when a customer came in with a bunch of them following a trip to Ohio. I pays to advertise! I had wanted to trade for this when it first came out, but given The CANQuest’s ™ current backlog, I am being judicious in pulling in more beer for the time being. In fact, Brown made me promise to drink it sooner, rather than later. Aye aye! The bottom reads: “CANned on 10/15/14 10:16”.

From the CAN: “[-] Pour It Slowly [-] Unfiltered Beer Captured Inside [-] Go Commando [-] Drink it Fresh”; “Deep in the Yakima Valley, our hop-obsessed Head Brewmaster went commando in search of his prized nuggets. His mission: Capture the freshest hop flowers he could sneak up on. Then he wet-hopped this bad-ass brew for a deliciously dank IPA. Out of the wild emerged The Hop Stalker.”; “Chill Out Man, Have A Beer! ™ [undersigned] Matt [-] Chris [-] Glenn”; “Don’t let your [CAN ] wander. Stalk a recycling bin.”

Heaven forbid! My CANs now go to Jeff Lebo for inclusion in his House of CANs. I will recycle BMC and pop CANs, but not a craft CAN such as this.

All preliminaries having been accomplished, it was time for the Crack! Not only did it reveal another brimful craft CAN, but I got a Squirt across my fingertips to boot. It took a lot of willpower NOT to CANduct an inverted Glug, but the CAN specifically told me not to and I promised #TheOldLady back in July 2013 that I would not do so if the CAN advised against it. A promise is a promise, so I inclined both glass and CAN, although I was not inclined to do so, and used a very gentle deCANting process. I still produced a finger of dense, tawny head, but it quickly faded, leaving some really sticky lacing in its wake. Nose was dank, earthy, like freshly upturned soil, with notes of grass, lemon zest and evergreen. Color was a solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity, which may be why they wanted a gentle pour: there may be bits to rouse at the end. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was MUCH earthier than Sixpoint Sensi, which I had previous to this one. I would be curious to know what hop varieties were used in each of them. While this did not have a pronounced hoppy bitterness, per se, it was clearly higher in ABV than my two previous beers. That earthiness reminded me of summer tomatoes or peppers, both of which my next door neighbor grows and allows me to pick and eat. Very little goes to waste around me as a lifelong bachelor and I have no CANpunction about eating FF&V. Finish was dry, but not bitter. It was very earthy and quite mellow. If they make it again next year, I may try to get some on a timelier basis, but I still think that it held up well. I was not getting a lot of malt characteristics, which is indicative of fading hops. And now for the final pour. Will it be like a box of Cracker Jacks and there will be a special prize at the bottom? I agitated the CAN repeatedly before engaging in an agro pour. Waste not, want not, I always say. I got a tad bit of lees, but the favor profile did not markedly change.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Nice fresh hop aroma, but taste is a little oxidized.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Picked up the can for 4 bucks at D's Six packs. Into a pint glass.

A - Exceptional pour! In my imperial pint glass it gave me a 2 inch's of head that slowly settles to a sticky lace ring. Slight sediment floaties in the glass with a golden amber color.
S - Resinous yet balanced hops, slight sweet malts, no noticeable ABV.
T - Smooth crisp hop bitterness straight from the tank! Balancing sweet malts, not noticeable ABV burn. One hella good beer!
M - Light to medium bodied easy to drink pounder.

Overall I was highly impressed with this it ranks up with the top take on the style (Founders Harvest) Price is good I would get it again!

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

4.24/5  rDev -3.2%

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hop Stalker Fresh Hop IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon