Join our email list →

American IPA | 7.50% ABV

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 06-19-2009

1st batches were 7.0% ABV
Reviews: 541 | Hads: 3,873

I believe this batch of Head Hunter was tapped on Wednesday 4/11 at the brewpub in North Olmsted. I hopped over to the brewpub for lunch on Friday 4/13, enjoyed a pint of the IPA there, and took a growler of it home to enjoy over the weekend. This review is from early Friday evening, probably 3 hours after getting the growler filled. Poured into a standard American pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy golden-yellow/light-orange hue with avid carbonation abounding in the brew after a slightly vigorous pour. A half finger's worth of cushy white head recedes to a cloud cap covering within a minute and holds there before settling to a nice lacing. No lacing left behind on the glass. Lookin' good. 4.75/5

Smell: My nose is a foot from the glass and I can already detect the piney citrus aroma of this IPA, that's how aromatic it is. It's all tropical and citrus fruits - certainly bitter grapefruit, a little juicy pineapple and sweet orange. A bit of pine in there. Fresh and dank. 5/5

Taste: An onslaught of luscious tastes sail over my taste buds. This West Coast child sports sappy resin, strong bitter grapefruit as suggested in the nose, and a strong bitter aftertaste that leaves behind a solid dry spot, calling for another sip. Citrus fruits of orange and pineapple sneak in with repeated sips. Very hoppy but won't repel the tongue with an overeager attack. A complex yet simple, straightforwardly enjoyable IPA. 5/5

Mouthfeel: Dry from the hoppiness of the brew. On the medium-light end of things as far as an IPA goes. Carbonation is just right, being the first pint from the fresh growler. Not sticky at all and goes down pretty smooth. 4.75/5

Overall: Did you expect anything less than essential perfection? This IPA is a medal winner at GABF with great reason. The color is spot on, the nose is entrancing, the taste is to die for and you can keep sipping on it for quite some time. Doesn't get better than that! If only it were truly sessionable, but at 7.5% you're going to have to show some restraint and keep to a few of these. This is THE benchmark beer for me! 5/5

A: orangish golden. Nice color!

S: Citrus hops, with a some malt.

T: Citrus hops punches you in the face!!! This is a great IPA!

M: Light for 7% ABV

D: When you think of a citrus IPA head-hunter comes to mind.

There is a reason why this beer has already won awards! If you love IPAs you have to try this beer it is the best IPA I have ever had!!!

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a Fat Head's growler I picked up this afternoon.

Pours a slightly hazy yellow-gold color, with a 2.5" thick, white sticky head leaving tons of spiderweb lacing as it reduces.

Has a very fragrant, piney citrus aroma. Fresh white pine, hemlock, white grapefruit and honey combine for a clean, crackin' crisp smell.

Starts piney-fresh, with hints of resin, rosewater, and oak leaves. Grapefruit, orange and lemony tastes follow the pine start, ending pleasantly bitter. The hop taste couldn't be fresher, rivalling only Brew Kettle's White Rajah for fresh hopped IPA heaven. There's no unnecessary maltiness or sweetness to balance out the hops or jack up the abv; nor are the hops so intense as to leave your mouth numb. It's no so much that there's a perfect balance, as it is a perfect expression of pure IPA nirvana.

Medium bodied, this is so clean, crisp and just "fresh" in feel and taste that you can't ovestate it. There's an immediacy to the taste and feel that just make this ale explode with flavor.

Simply awesome; it is easy to see why this IPA has won so many awards. I wonder how well it has done once bottled; on tap (or from a fresh growler), however, this IPA is world-class.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Wow simply an amazing IPA. Had on draft at Melt in Independence. Strong smell of grapefruit, citrus, and pine. Taste is very strong citrus with some pine notes. If you like Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, you will love this beer. It's a much better version of this style of brew.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer really stands out especially for the style. Luckily I live in Ohio and enjoy Great Lakes, Thirsty Dog, Fat Head and Hoppin Frog every week. Very nice mouthfeel and taste. Piney and citrus overall a great west coast style IPA. Highly recommend this beer if you can purchase it.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a tulip. Served at 45 degrees. Picked this one up at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati. Fathead's just started distributing to Indiana, so I will have access to this all of the time!

A - Dull orange, with a 1/4 inch white head. Nice lacing where the head once was. The smell makes the beer look better.

S - As I'm admiring the look of this beer I get a strong whiff of tropical fruit. I'm catching the smell from 3 feet away. Wonder what this was dry-hopped with? Simcoe? Columbus? Pine cone, tropical fruit, heavy citrus.

T - Pineapple, grapefruit, awesome bitterness. Simcoe, Columbus, and Centennial is a great combo. Perfectly hopped with a great malt balance.

M - Crisp and extremely drinkable at 7.5%, watch out!

O - Great beer. Now I know what all of the hype is about. Thanks Fathead's for making such a great beer.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

This is my favorite IPA that I've ever had; sampled this beaut at the FatHeads on the Southside of Pittsburgh in a pint glass. Could God have crafted 16.9 oz more perfectly? I'm not sure...

A: Glorious- cloudy, but just right for something this powerful. The head was about an inch on this pour, and felt... right.

S: So fruity, earthy, and mellow. Citrus and pine are the predominant notes, but there's others. My early-spring nostrils didn't catch them all, so I'll come back soon to update.

T: Those same citrus and pine notes, plus apple and pineapple (good work, Fatheads). Oh, and I forgot- HOPS. SO MANY HOPS AND I LOVE IT.

M: Great carbonation, but a little (and I mean little) more light than I would normally ask for.

O: Amazing. My all-time favorite beer.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a brilliant copper glowing slightly orange and red when held toward the light with a bright white head building up big and large. I love this beer, Fathead's has done it again and released when of my all time favorite IPAs. Aroma has big floral, citrus, and fruit filled hop bursts going on...this beer is great. I'm not sure which hops they use, but it has the most tropical fruit smells I've ever tasted straight up mango/pineapple. The most sought after West Coast style IPA brewed outside of Cleveland. This brand new case I picked says brewed in small batches to ensure quality I believe it. This an 87 IBU hop monster that gives out hop flavor with malt sweetness all day, it's balanced yet aggressive and uncivilized according to the label. Hop candy all day, a beer that flows with each sip anybody into hops needs to try this beer, I get layers of grapefruit and bright hop flavors that are literally rocking my world. Mouthfeel is resinous but not heavy, light to medium bodied ample flowing carbonation excellent drinkable IPA for those of us in the know. I know this beer is amazing I've been drinking it on draft at Fathead's since it came out.

Update: bottled on 5/14/13 @ 10:34 am drank on 5/18/13@ 4:23 pm I love fresh IPA and I love the Head Hunter!!!

Hops are screaming in this sample, beautiful cohesive force of big hops and malts I can't believe this is available this fresh in my area bought at Valley Wine Cellar in Steubenville, Ohio. It made it down here from the production brewery in 3 days I bought it on 5/17/13...that's effective distribution. Good job to the Premium beverage folks I can't believe it. Pairing an Erik Espinosa Habano from the La Zona Factory in Esteli, Nicaragua beautiful Habano wrapper spicy Nica tobacco, fills the nares with black pepper, the palate with leather and spice beautiful cigar to pair with a badass West coast style IPA. If you never had the pleasure of drinking this on tap please find it fresh in bottles amazing experience, every hophead around this area should have I'm about to pick up the rest of the bottles.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Had this beer numerous times on draft at Fathead's under circumstances not conducive for reviewing (but hella fun). I believe this bottle is the first batch of Headhunter ever bottled, and I also believe it's relatively fresh. I've always been very impressed by this as a draft, so I'm excited to see how this bottle goes.

A: Nice, thick, frothy, 1 finger head sits on top of a light colored translucent golden beer. Carbonation appears appropriate.

S: Big huge smell of grapefruit, and maybe a hint of mango or pineapple.

T: Huge bitter flavor of grapefruit just overwhelms. It's simultaneously light, smooth, and refreshing, and yet full of delightfully bitter grapefruit hops, and I'm still picking up on some hints of mango or maybe pineapple. I don't think I've ever picked up on that mango/pineapple nuance on draft at the Saloon. Only here in the bottle, and it really adds another level of character to this brew. This beer starts purely bitter before those grapefruit/citrus flavors rush in at the middle and carry this beer to the finish line.

This beer is ferociously dank. Probably my favorite beer of all beers. Probably.

M: Light and smooth with perfect carbonation, this beer then finishes with a perfect punch of hop citrus that coats the tongue very well.

D: This beer is delightfully hoppy. By far and away the best IPA I've come across East of Michigan. This is a great beer. Highly drinkable.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Absolutely the best single IPA ever. Perfect balance. Love the hoppy taste and the aroma to make one's knees buckle. Have had it at Fat Heads here in Pittsburgh as well as the one in Cleveland, and it was better in Pittsburgh for some reason. Absolutely love this beer!

It started showing up in the local beer distributor. I (of course) picked up a case. It is good, but it definitely didn't stand out as much as it does on tap.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

A: A Nice copper-like appearance. Medium, frothy, quickly diminishing head. Pretty.

S: Amazing. Strong and wonderful. Grapefruit, citrus, and pine.

T: Citrus, Pine, Grapefruit hits hard early. Bitterness kicks in quickly and lasts. Nothing objectionable about the taste here. A slight malt taste on the end. Big flavor in this beer. One of the better IPA's I've drank.

M: Medium-light. Decent carbonation. Nice.

D: Very drinkable. Lovely. The bitterness leaves a long lasting taste in your mouth. There is so much going on with this beer. Enjoy a four pack.

O: I like this beer a lot. I've had several big name IPA's. Pliny, Hop Slam, Ruination, Devil Dancer, Sculpin, Dreadnaught etc....This beer hangs in there with all of them. Quickly becoming one of my favorites. Another great beer from the Midwest.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Huge thanks to my Aunt Terri and Uncle Paul for coming through in the clutch on scoring these bottles at the brewery. Love you guys!

Served in a Nonic pint...

A: Pours a pale golden orange with a beautiful three finger, foamy, eggshell white head. Head fades down to a half finger, but it lingers for the duration. Gorgeous tightly beaded lacing coats the sides of the glass. Top notch stuff here.

S: Oh wow, this has a delightful nose. Loads of tropical fruit flavors, including grapefruit, orange, mango, tangerine. Pine needles hover in the background throughout. Just a hint of grassiness on the back end. Absolutely gorgeous bouquet, one of the best I've encountered.

T: Super creamy, juicy, and fruity. Absolutely spectacular. Starts with grapefruit and orange zest, then the pine resin kicks in full gear as bittering hops wash over the mid. Incredible floral flavors provide lightness and balance. Solid malt base on this as well. The finish has some lingering and assertive bitterness, but it blends so purely with sweet citrus. Superb from start to finish.

M: Surprisingly light bodied for all the flavors that are present. Great interplay between malt and hop here: it's spicy, sweet, savory, refreshing all at once.

O: Standing O. Worth every bit of the hype and praise that is has received all these years. Between this and White Rajah, Cleveland may have the best two 1-2 IPA combo in the country...that includes you, San Fran (Blind Pig and Pliny are awesome, but don't have anything on this duo). Very different from White Rajah, a little bit more body on this one and subtle complexity. More pine resin and herbal notes on this as well. A hop head's delight from start to finish. Worth the wait.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Thanks to my beer store person for letting me get my hands on a 4pk. (First time in my area!)
Poured from a "stubby" 12.0z bottle into a standard pint glass.
Clear gold in color, with a huge billowy head of bone-white foam.
Aroma-Wow! An absolute boquet of pineapple, pine and tropical fruit.
Taste-Fantastic, full-on hop-slap to the tastebuds. Huge citrus flavor of pineapple,grapefruit, mango perfectly blanced with wave after wave of juicy, tangy hops. Exceptional flavor, hop nectar. One of the best American IPA's I have ever had. Awesome flavor will make you sit up and take notice. An absolute must for any hophead. I feel suddenly compelled to drive to Middleburg Ohio. Road trip!
Seek this beer out. A fresh bottle will bring a flavor-gasm to your tastebuds. Get Some!!

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

I've had is before but I feel like now is the time to review since I can now but it in a nice four pack or case at my local.

A: Nice fluffy head with a deep ambery golden nectar underneath.

S: I get some great fruit. Mango, grapefruit and pineapple

T: Unlike some other IPA's with a tropical fruit nose, I get a nice straight piney bitterness with hits of citrus ... exactly what I want.

M: It doesn't seem to have the malt backbone and full mouth feel to carry hop explosion, but amazingly it works ... it works great.

O: This is a must have, it's up there with Pliny the Elder and Heady topper. Easily the best IPA that I can get 4 for $10.

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: A dense finger of bright white head formed when poured into an english style pint glass. Retention was low/moderate but when it fell it left a coat of foam on the entire edge of the glass with no dry spots. The beer is a light copper color with a mild amount of haze. A few particles of hop sediment settled in the bottom of the glass.

S: Huge, bright citrus, reisen and pine hop aroma comes off even when poured into the glass. Think mango, passion fruit and pine with an underlying 'dankness'. Behind the big hop aroma I get a toasty malt note but it is very faint.

T: Big bold reisinous bitterness that clings on your pallet from the first sip. The pine and tropical passion fruit hop flavors come through in the middle and stay very consistant with the aroma. The hop flavor is very round and there is a bit of the oniony flavor but it never gets harsh or unpleasent. The toasty, bread crust malt backbone flavors are enough to support the hops and work to make it very drinkable.

M: Low to moderate body that feels bigger with the reisinous hop oils lingering on the pallet. carbonation is middle of the road.

O: This is an American IPA done right. Big aroma, flavorfull, bitterness firm but not overpowering with a malt backbone to support the whole thing. Fat Head is doing some killer stuff.

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My go-to beer. Possibly the most under-hyped, best tasting IPA available. Similar to all FH's beers, this is a total hop bomb. Honestly, I kind of hope the BA world keeps giving a sh*t less about this beer so I can keep getting it fresh and delish without too much effort.

4.89/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a golden color...small bubbles rise to a thick, frothy white head that falls to a ring and top coating that leaves webs of lacing.

Herbal and tropical...I smell pine, tangerine, dried papaya, dried mango, puppy-breath, filo, and some dank kindness...I cant explain, I think its love!

All the love from the nose carries over with a slight bitterness...herbal, fruity, and resinous...A West Coast IPA from the North Coast?!?!!

Medium body with just the right amount of carbonation...slightly sticky and warm. A pleasant numbing bitterness assaults my tongue.

Addictive and delicious...this beer deserves some hype!

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Reviewing the Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA from Fat Head's Brewery and Saloon out of Ohio. This is one of my absolute favorite IPA's, and a review of a fresh bottle for the blog was quite overdue. Major thanks to Brian Callahan for hooking me up with some during FOBAB weekend.
Score: 98

I did not think to check the freshness date on the bottle, but Brian knows the importance of freshness with IPA. Served in a Stella Artois chalice and enjoyed on 11/18/2012.

Appearance: Pours a clean and modestly dark honey-orange, almost bourbon-like, color with a finger of beige head that settles to a thin layer. Has a nice, mildly effervescent appearance out of the bottle. Absolutely ridiculous lacing and retention. This is exactly what you want an IPA to look like in my opinion. 5/5

Smell: Huge doses of fresh citrus and grassy hops. In-your-face grapefruit, peach, lemon zest and tangerine. There is a hint of lime too. Faint caramel maltiness in the background, and an even fainter earthiness. 4.5/5

Taste: A bittersweet, bold hop bomb with good balance. Upfront, you get the sweet citrus -- grapefruit, peach, pineapple and a touch of lemon-lime flavor. This is followed by a sharply bitter counterbalance of grassy, slightly earthy hops on the back half. The finish is bitter with some lime rind flavor. Mild sweet caramel malt backbone. 5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium-high carbonation that pops and sizzles the hops on the tongue. Oily and slick on the tongue. Bittersweet, leaning towards bitter in the finish. 5/5

Overall: Like a DIPA in disguise and single IPA in name only, hoppy ales rarely get better than this one. Fans of Bell's Hopslam will adore it.

Recommendation: Hop heads should absolutely seek this beer out, though it is likely too aggressive for casual beer drinkers and hop haters.

Pairings: Pad Thai for those who want to accentuate the spiciness, and roasted brown sugar coated pineapple slices a la Brazilian steak house for those who merely want to dwell in the doses of sweet citrus that this beer has to offer

Cost: $9.99 for a four pack.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Ok so this is an interesting one. I'm lucky enough to have fresh access to all 3 of the awesome Ohio IPAs (Columbus, White Rajah, and Headhunter). I have also had HT, PtE, OTWOA, Jai Alai, and the list goes on. Let me tell you that nothing compares to Headhunter that is only a couple days old. It is impossible to find because you have to be lucky enough to find a store that gets it within a couple days of it getting bottled (I went to friggin Fatheads Brewery today and the freshest HH they had was bottled on 8/2.... like seriously!!?!?) but if you can somehow find it fresh, I swear this is the best IPA on the market. It is a waterfall of incredible hoppiness and as smooth as Heady. The mouthfeel is top notch and I swear the nose is so perfect I wish I could capture it in an air freshener. But do be warned, no beer falls off like this puppy. After 2-3 weeks its cringeworthy, a month, bleeehkk! only the drain enjoys the taste at that point.

Chhezz!!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The more i drink it, the more I absolutely love it. Phenomenal.like a tropical hop wet dream. Not sure how it could be better. Super drinkable and available year round. My first choice in american IPAs.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

12oz bottle poured into snifter; I believe this one is quite fresh.

A: Pours an almost clear, bright, golden copper color– really great looking. Two fingers, at least, of foamy white head cap off the glass and leave behind considerable lacing all down the glass.

S: Huge, huge doses of pine and citrus hops carry this one. Grapefruit and sweeter pineapple are noticeable in particular. Unbelievably fruity while balancing sweetness and dankness well. Caramel, bready malts come out just a bit as the beer warms.

T: Huge doses of hops all through the flavor– pine flavors are strongest with citrus coming in at a close second. The considerable hop flavors alone are almost able to balance the bitterness they offer, but just a bit of sweet, biscuity malt shows up to do the job.

M: Medium-bodied, with moderate carbonation. Smooth, creamy, and lightly dry on the finish. A sticky, resinous quality helps the hop bitterness stick around. [Updated from 4.5 to 5 on 8/01/12 after 5 or so 4-packs of this.]

O: A serious candidate for best beer that I've had to date. It looks beautiful, smells awesome, tastes perfect, and mouthfeel adds a lot to the overall enjoyment. While I'm incredibly happy that this is being bottled now, I'm kicking myself for never making it to Fat Heads to try this on tap before. A must-drink if you can get your hands on it.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

tasted from both a bottle and a poured into a glass.

Pours orange. sticky lacing all down the glass. off white medium head that lingers. Small flecks of something floating in the glass. The glass was hand washed, dried and chilled by me, so I know it was in the beer. I've read that it is hop resin? Beats me, other than actually seeing it when looking for it, I didn't notice it. (reminded me of a Belgian White)

very aromatic. floral and fresh fruit mixed together.

Short version? Hop bomb. Long version? tastes fantastic. no angle of an AIPA was missed in this offering. Fruit, pine, honey flavor. Basically looking at strong, in your face hoppy goodness countered by sweet honey flavored malt. Crisp finish for the most part, but bitterness lingers for a little bit. Outstanding. One of my highest rated AIPAs.

Medium body. appropriate for the style, imo. Medium "carbonation". Balanced, no complaints.

I grabbed this brew at my local craft beer store for the hell of it, not really expecting much to be completely honest. I was wrong. Way wrong. This AIPA is fantastic. It drinks like a double, so much hops, but carefully balanced out by copious amounts of honey flavored malt. I will be adding this fantastic India Pale Ale to my short list of super good, can't go wrong with - AIPAs! Recommended and will be buying again.

* If Fat Head increases their market area, this beer will become huge... Calling it now.

4.84/5  rDev +11.8%

Served on tap into a nonic glass at the brewpub

A- Poured a honey color orange yellow with one finger frothy head that left some good lace

S- Grapefruit and pine assault. This is super aromatic and has a really deep pungent funk.

T- Big pungent funk, grapefruit, tropical fruit, pine, and woodiness. Perfect balance of sweet and bitter. Great sweet citrus flavor up front and very assertive bitterness on the finish.

M- Very dry beer with good carbonation that goes down smooth, very dry on the finish

O- Is this the best IPA I have ever had? I think it may be. This is an amazing IPA, so aromatic and flavorful. This beer brings the sweetness, bitterness, and funk; what a perfect combo. This is as West Coast as it gets and it is from Cleveland. I have got to make it up to Fat Heads more.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks goes out to Hojaminbag for this brew.

Poured into a DFH glass a very nice dark golden hazy orange color, very nice carbonation, very nice three-finger thick/creamy off-white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is nice and hoppy, with some malt notes, very nice citrus and pine notes. The taste is especially nice, hoppy, sweet, with a nice malt blend thrown in, lots of citrus/pine notes. Medium Body, with a slight dry/bitter finish. This is an AWESOME IPA, definitely one of the best I've had to date, Highly Recommended! Thanks Ben! Much appreciated!

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Sample at the brewery. Pour is golden color with off white head. Aroma is strong pine with some citrus mixed in. Has a medium mouthfeel. Flavor is strong pine and citrus hops upfront. Leads to a nice caramel touch with more pine hops to the finish. A real hop blast. My favorite on their list. This one is for hopheads only.

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon