Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 06-19-2009

1st batches were 7.0% ABV
Reviews: 493 | Hads: 3,589
2.6/5  rDev -40.1%

On tap at the brewery a few hours ago. Review from notes. Poured into a clean, clear glass. Notes from brewery: Uncivilized and aggressive this west coast styled IPA packs wicked hop flavors and aroma. Savage amounts of Simcoe, Columbus and Cascade hops define this brews signature pine and citrus notes. Try with our smoked wings in the Killer sauce and run the risk of a shrunken head!

A Basic Orange brown translucent body under a minimal light head.

S Cascade hops but not that strong. This is what I expected and it is true to the style.

T Hops, unbalanced hops. Grapefruit tartness from start to finish. Unimaginitive and unbalanced.

M Moderate feel. Would have been thin but the hops beef up the feel with their tangy tartness.

D Only fair. I cannot have more than one of these. (790 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -32.5%

Revisited, 5 Sept 2014

Better than previous experiences, but still not as good as the 3-way we had side by side, which wasn't even a particularly good can of 3-way.

3.5

--------------
Old review at 2.95, 12/12/12. Unfortunately, don't have the full breakdown, post changes to the reviewing system:

No bottling date I can discern.

A: Rather orange in color. Raises a rather small head which quickly turns into a ring and some large, loose bubbles.

S: Piney and tropical hops, somewhat dank. Unfortunately, I'm also getting more than a whiff of diacetyl.

T: Very bitter, followed by mild orange-caramel, more bitterness, some cracker, finishing with bitter.

M: Well carbonated. Quite astringent.

O: I don't want to slam this beer; people looking for the mouth-scraping-est IPA out there will probably like this. But, personally, I find it lacking in flavor and aroma hops that would make it a more interesting beer. Also, the diacetyl suggests the brewery may be rushing the beer out prematurely. (1,004 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -29.7%

Tried this from the tap at Fatheads in North Olmsted Ohio. Everything fit and I though I was going to enjoy this one. Until I actually tried it.

As described in the previous tasting: "Uncivilized and aggressive, this West Coast styled IPA packs wicked hops flavors and aroma. Savage amounts of Simcoe, Columbus, and Cascade hops define this brew's signature pine and citrus notes".

I love IPAs but this one wasnt for me. The overpowering pine flavor killed this beer. Smell, Taste and after taste. Drank it all to get my money worth and then moved on. Their Weizenbock is wonderful though. (592 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -28.3%

12 oz bottle purchased as a four pack at a grocery store during my recent visit to Columbus. No visible bottle dating.

Medium yellow orange with some soapy bubblage and oily lace. Looks fine.

Big piney bitterness and menthol on the nose. Some light sugared papaya lies underneath. Alcohol is evident. Gingerbread malts rise up upon warming. Each time I opened one of these I hoped that it would smell more lively, or more my speed, but alas it's just an average smelling IPA.

Surprisingly, there's just loads of booze taste here. Menthol coolness from the nose make a cameo here as well. Like someone exhaled their Newport directly into my glass. God those were gross and I smoked pretty much everything. Big bitter waves ride throughout and crash upon the shores of my tasting places, leaving a long tongue scraping finish. The tease of tropicality or light fruits from the nose plays as more a whisper than a shout. Harsh spicy rye-like notes provide a supple bed on which these sinful deeds are consummated.

Medium bodied, on the lower-to-moderate end of carbonation, and rather oily in body. She weighs a bit on the tongue.

Well, I had a bottle of this on the same day I had both Columbus Bodhi and Columbus IPA on tap. Granted, the Bodhi is classified as a double, but that is both arbitrary and meaningless as I believe these beers are the same abv. In my know nothing but know what I like opinion, this beers gets smoked by both Columbus versions. The abrasive bitterness and shocking booziness give no quarter. Not nearly as good as its reviews for my tastes. (1,572 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -26.7%

Yellow, golden pour with a bright white head that clings to the glass. Minor grapefruit smell with malt in the background. I'm also getting an old sock type smell. Hmmm. Unusual bitter taste which doesn't improve much at all. Metallic tasting. Not too pleasant. Very thin mouthfeel. This wasn't the greatest beer but it was unusual for an IPA. If you're looking for a different experience in an IPA...this is your huckleberry. (426 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -25.6%

Generously hooked up on a trade from Stigs. Poured into my Darkness snifter.

I am going to point out the obvious of this review. It's short, and you will read why.

Pours a nice burnt honey color with about a fingers width of off white head. Smell.... Without a doubt it smells like bunk weed. You can't get around it. Taste is you guessed it... bunk weed with a bit of hop bite. Hop oil slightly coats the tongue in the backend.

I can't rave about this, or in fact call it bad. Very average ipa but it's weed flavored. You take it from there. (545 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -25.6%

I was let down with this one but will be giving it another chance when I find some fresher bottles.

Good smell and feel to it but the taste was disappointing to where it made we wonder how old it was or if it was a bad batch I got. There was a distinctive bad bitterness to the finish, hopefully not standard for this brew. (324 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

interesting copper-pink color, sulfur smell in the nose, clear color, little to no lace, short finish, metallic taste, stinky, short medium-length finish, little less than average overall finish. wouldn't seek out this beer, there are much better examples to choose from. (271 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -24.9%

Enjoyed on tap in a pint glass at Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon.

There is absolutely no head to be found on this beer when I receive it. A thin foam ring barely exists at the edges of the glass. The body is a clear copper amber with no sign of carbonation bubbles. No lacing can be found throughout consumption.

Citrus and pine hops flow off the beer. Notes of grapefruit and caramel malt is also noticable. Not the strongest nose, but definitely pleasent.

Citrus and strikes at the beginning of the sip only to be quickly overtaken by a strong pine flavor. Notes of grapefruit and lemon add decent complexity to the beer. A dry, earthy pine aftertaste finishes each sip.

Medium bodied with little noticable carbonation, this beer is consumable but lacks drinkability. While not exactly flat, more carbonation would definitely have helped this beer out.

Honestly, I don't understand all the hype behind this beer. The flavor is great and the aroma is pleasing, but this beer fails pretty hard in all other categories. (1,020 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

I've had this brew several times. This review is fresh on-tap at Buffalo Wild Wings last night.

A- Looks good-glowing translucent amber hue that is served with a big white foamy 1-2 finger that stays nicely at 1/2 finger and leaves lacing all the way down the glass. Beautiful IPA

S- Nose is big and bright. Some grapefruit and lots and lots of pine. Definately eyebrow raising. A hint of spicy hops is down there somewhere.

T- the flavor upfront is kind of bland with a hint of grapefruit, some earthy hops, and a background of faint grainy malt. The finish is HUGE and agressive with some pine and a huge amount of resiny bitterness that lingers on and on and on with a hint of spicy hop flavor in the background.

M- High fizzy, assualting carbonation and and medium weight slightly grainy body.

O- Overall this is a very bitter and assualting brew. Think Moylan's Hopsickle. It also doesnt have much hoppy flavor upfront to justify the bitter finish. The malt backbone is scant at best. An average beer overall-and this just isn't my kind of IPA. (1,054 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -20%

Pours a nice golden color with a slight head. The aroma is of floral and earthy hops with hints of citrus fruits. The taste is of a slight caramel malt backbone with touches of citrus fruits. The main taste is of earthy hops and touches of floral hops. The mouthfeel is moderate carbonation. Overall its a nice beer, good flavor and nice aroma, not the best IPA you will ever have, but it is very solid. (403 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -19.8%

Wow, not overly impressed with this. Orange body, pale white head, average lacing. Pine and citrus nose. Enh. Grapefruity taste but quite sour; a little TOO much grapefruit, it seems. Astringent 'feel. Okay drinkability.

Seems all west coast on the surface but underneath it's pedestrian at best. Get one of the other 41 beers on tap is my advice. And, as an unabashed Fat Heads fanboy, it hurts to say this. Honestly. Bottom line: get something else. (452 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: yellowish orang color. a finger of a white head that fades slowly and leaves a little bit of a lacing behind. some haze but no where near opaque.

Smell: mostly citrus hops and crystal malts. some other hoppy aromas, mainly lemon

Taste: opens with a short burst of crystal. quickly taken away by hops. somewhat tropical, fairly citrusy and very lemony. i don't dig the lemon bread quality of the mixture

Mouthfeel: fairly light and some bitterness, but not a resin, more of a lemon bread sweet bitterness.

Overall: no doubt its a well brewed and well received beer. but the lemony hops just make for a mixture I don't dig in an IPA (646 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to griffeyb for throwing this one in as an extra. Long time want

A - Straight up solid IPA: honey colored with a nice bubbly head that retains very well with a thin cap. The head saves the beer

S - Sweet malts. Not much going on, but what is going on is strong: huge citric hops and an aspirin-like mineral element. Slightly grassy. Caramely alcohol.

T - Huge bitterness that is reminiscent of pomelo rind and ruby red grapefruit, good malt backbone. Nice dryness, which definitely gets points in my book

M - Smooth and medium bodied with a very nice lively carbonation.

Been wanting to try this for a while, and it is solid, but not all the way good. I think that it may be just a little past its prime. (720 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Kurmaraja for this one. Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a medium hazy bright gold color with about 1/3 inch of white that had moderate retention and good lacing.

The aroma was mostly sharp hops, mainly citrus and cat with some light pine in the background. No real malt in the nose. Pretty much the same story on the tongue, citrus, cat pee, and the gentle pine, and just the faintest malt presence.

The body was pretty typical for the style, crisp, clean, and dry. The bitterness lingered a bit too long on the finish for my tastes. Drinkability was pretty good, I could see having a few of these if I were in a hoppy mood. Overall, a very good example of the style. Is it an elite level beer? I don't know. But, I do know if this were available regularly to me, it would be on my rotation. Certainly worth trying if you see it. (841 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -17.5%

Tasted on 3/27/11. Reviewed from notes Thanks to SDSurfer217 for this beer:

A: pours a golden color with a half finger of head, slightly cloudy

S: I smell citrus and grapefruit but not as strong as other IPAs on the nose.

T: A pretty good hop punch. Lots of grapefruit. Floral hops in front with a grassy finish almost sour finish. Aftertaste is not my favorite but rest is tasty.

M: Lots of carb, light feel but at the same time the hops coat the mouth nicely.

O: A good IPA w/ a funky aftertaste/finish. Would definitely enjoy again but with the explosion of IPAs would pick others first. (596 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Golden clear

S - citrus fruity mixture

T - hop presence is nice but the malts come too much towards the front of the taste

F - light drinkable refreshing

O - solid everyday IPA (184 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a bottle had via a trade with TheGordianKnot! Cheers!

A: pours a clear but gold color. Looks good.. Slight head w/nice lacing.

S: very inviting. Strong citrus nose. They smell like grapefruit & orange.Smells delicious! There are some light malty notes in the background.

T: Doesn't match the nose. Grapefruit & orange are there. Hops and big roasty malts take over early and stay til the end. Alcohol is very smooth, slight hint.

M: Pretty standard for a nice IPA.

O: Man this beer has hype. Rates great and is very solid. The roasted malts just dominate a bit too much for me. I'd prefer the citrus hops on the nose to follow through til at least the middle. For me, solid, too many other IPA's that I prefer. (727 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into FFF Teku

A: pours a golden orange with 2 fingers of head that receded quickly

S: Grapefruit and other citrus, with some Pine notes and a bit of onion.

T: Some faded citrus, but mostly muted pine and a hint of onion. Nowhere near as nice as the aroma.

M: Middle of the road for an IPA

O: Meh. Solid Meh. I have had worse, and have had a whole lot better. I know some of my ohio brethren love this beer, but I really don't see anything special about it. Aroma was pleasant, but everything else was quite sub par. Might just be spoiled living double lives in SoCal and the Vt/NH border, but I can get far better in both states easy. This was an extra on a trade though, so it could be past freshness. Who can say though because THERE WAS NO DATE ON THE BOTTLE... (777 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ah, here we are. A want for awhile now. I received this today from a trade with michaellcoates - thanks, buddy! 7.5% ABV confirmed. "American-Style India Pale Ale." 87 IBU. Expectations are through the roof; this is my first beer from Fat Head's and its on the list of top beers. Really looking forward to it. Don't see a bottle date/julian code. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with cool fun label and orange branded pry-off cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours almost entirely head, seven fingers wide at the least. Head is a healthy beige colour. Gorgeous soft complexion. Nice creaminess. Good frothiness and thickness. Retention is excellent, about 8-10 minutes. Lacing is light and even yet inconsistent as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour is a pretty vibrant somewhat pale copper. Translucent and transparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's an attractive appearance for the style, but I wouldn't call it unique or special. The head is impressive. I'm looking forward to trying it. Quite inviting.

Sm: Piney. Resinous. Floral hops, with a twinge of grapefruit zest on the back end. Nectary and citrusy, even a bit juicy. I don't get the pineapple mentioned on the label - which is good, I hate pineapple in IPAs (and beer in general, actually). I guess you could call it dank. Fairly pungent, but not overbearing. A biteen soapy; maybe just a bit too long in primary. Pale malts. Hop oils. Grassy character. Light buttery character. Maybe a bit of caramalt. Soft and approachable. Most importantly, it's balanced. No naked hop bitterness is obvious. A good aroma overall, but maybe not as clean as I'd like. And a bit too dry; I'd like it more overtly juicy and refreshing. Moderately strong.

T: A bit more tropical than I'd like; I do get some light pineapple and mango. Hop profile is diverse: floral hops, oily hops, nectary hops, light citrusy hops (in the form of a timid grapefruit twang), and piney hops. Somewhat dank, but also not as clean as I'd like. Herbal cannabis-like hops are prominent, perhaps even dominant. Well balanced, with no overt hop bitterness. Lots happening here; good complexity and flavour integration. It comes off cohesive. Pleasant to drink, with no alcohol coming through. Resiny. I don't get any yeasty notes from it. Body is comprised of pale malts and a bit of light caramalt. Some subtlety here. Lightly bready. Maybe even light fleeting candied notes on the climax.

Overall, it's a different type of IPA than I'm used to; much more herbal and cannabis-like than any IPA I've ever had. I quite fancy it, and the more I get accustomed to it the more I like it. Tasty stuff. Good depth of flavour. Good flavour duration.

Mf: First thing that hit me when I sipped it was how soft it is. Very pleasant and soothing to drink. Smooth as hell. Not as clean as it needs to be, and not crisp at all. A bit scratchy, like the feeling cannabis generates in one's throat. Somewhat dry in the second act, but it gets wet on the finish. Oily. Good thickness. Somewhat refreshing. Not as juicy as I'd like. Overall, it suits the flavour profile quite well and facilitates each note nicely. Feels custom-tailored to the flavour profile, yet it shares the herbal cannabis-like scratchy quality that's really holding this beer back. Undercarbonated.

Dr: Drinkable and it hides its ABV well, but that scratchy somewhat rough texture along with the cannabis-esque flavours does limit drinkability; I doubt I'd want to kill a 6 pack of this in a night. It's pleasant and enjoyable and I really respect its approach to the style. Feels innovative, not imitative or mimetic. I'd love to try this on-draught. But it does make me want to cough a bit; it tickles the back of the throat with those pesky herbal notes. I can see why it has its high ranking, and while I don't know that's it's world class, it's definitely amongst the most unique IPAs I've had. I'd happily have it again and I'd recommend it to friends, but I doubt I'd trade for it again. A solid staple from Ohio and one that would be a mainstay in my fridge if I lived out there.

High B (4,337 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -14.3%

12oz bottle from Delock's Discount Liquors (Munster, IN). 8.99/ 4 pack. No bottling date. Served in a Burnt Hickory snifter.

Pours hazy deep amber with notable turbidity and about one finger of pale thick head that leave lacing aplenty.

Smells of citrus and piney hops with an obvious sweet bready malt note behind them.

Tastes of bold bitter dank hops. Citrus rind, wet grass, dank garlic/onion, grapefruit and a little bready malt back there too. Really nice blend. Very bitter but plenty of flavor goin on.

Slick, medium body with moderate carbonation. Long bitter citrus peel finish.

Good stuff here. I would definately get this pretty regularly if I could buy it in Georgia. Worth a try for sure if you like dank bitter IPAs. (740 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle acquired in a trade with mps
Bottled on: 02/06/14
Served in a pint glass

The nearly crystal clear, medium amber liquid was topped by a two-finger tall, tight, foamy, eggshell colored crown. A clingy, drippy ring of lacing coated the top portion of the glass. The head quickly fell to a thin cap.

The aroma was both hoppy and sweet. Citrusy, c-style hops were matched by a robust caramel malt sweetness. Candy coated orange peel notes were apparent. Spicy and zesty. Hints of juicy tangerine came through as well.

A mix of sweet, caramel malts and candied citrus peel led things off in the flavor profile. Zesty and juicy with strong grapefruit notes. Slightly spicy. As the beer moved along the palate, it transitioned from being sweet and citrusy to dry and brutally bitter. Lemon pith and white grapefruit rind appeared in the finish. Lots of resiny pine sap as well.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied and fairly nondescript. Slightly thin for the style and the ABV. The liquid contained a spritzy, large bubbled effervescence that turned slightly creamy once it settled on the palate.

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA is a heavily malted and aggressively hopped palate wrecker of an IPA. I personally would have preferred less caramel malt sweetness on the front end and less hop bitterness on the finish, but the same amount of overall flavor. This reminded me a lot of some old-school West Coast IPAs that were deemed "extreme" before the age of extreme beers. (1,493 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

FatHead's Headhunter IPA. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A: Deep golden color, light white frothy head that dissipated quickly. Looks like some poor filtering as there is hop material that made it into the bottle and into my glass. A bit of a turn-off. 6/10
S: Wow, major fruit, grapefruit and citrus notes with some floral and a hint of dankness. Awesome aroma. Reminds me of Stone's enjoy by. 9/10
T: Bitterness through and through. only lightly malty with hops front and center. Some fruitiness, but not significant. clean flavors. 7/10
M: medium body, some hop astringency on the finish. a bit harsher than I'd like. 6/10
O: A nice IPA. Could use some work to clean up bottling practices at this small local Ohio brewery. Needs to be crystal clear, with only a hint of yeast haze if it is bottle conditioned. Great deep golden color, phenomenal aroma and clean flavors. A cleaner aftertaste would be preferable. I'd drink another though. 7/10 or 3.75 stars. (988 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Well, this took too long....

I've been reading beer adv. for years. Stealing and gleaning info. Free info. is often misleading when were talking the palate. Obviously, it can differ greatly but some common themes will exist.

Now the beer. Well what do I say. I've probably reviewed and drank a thousand ipa's. So I expect greatness. Having truly started beerhunting in the great lakes region I'm greatly biased. This beer is reminiscent of two hearted, when two hearted was brewed in much smaller batches by Mr. Larry Bell. A great whiff of dank hops perfectly timed in the brewing process. But then again I ponder Great lakes brewing and how well dortmunder gold was-malty and beatufllly neither under or over hopped. Again, smaller batches less popularity. That is where I see fat heads. Another great Midwest brewery taking special attention to each batch. Superior ingredients.. Done with a nod to the weather and shipments good or bad. A great ipa. But nothing new. Just well done small batch brewing. The way it should be done.

I hear that in Germany their are still many microbrews. Thank god we are trying to keep things small. But at a price. At three dollars a bottle, I almost feel like a good looking barmaid should be bringing this my way..

Worth seeking out. But chances are some sort of great ale project exists in your backyard to sample as well.

Over and out, Big Ed hunkered down in SW Ohio. Once home to the brewing mecca of this sad to say faltering country. (1,508 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a crisp yellowish orange. Sme nice solid head tht dissipates quickly. Nice lacing. Smells great. Lots of piney hops on the nose. Taste is a bit overly bitter. The mouthfeel is a bit lacking due to the bitterness but the drinkability is decent for how hoppy it is. Overall, worth trying but i wouldn't drink it regularly (325 characters)

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon