Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPAFat Head's Head Hunter IPA

Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 06-19-2009

1st batches were 7.0% ABV
Reviews: 518 | Hads: 3,710
3.47/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a nice golden color with a slight head. The aroma is of floral and earthy hops with hints of citrus fruits. The taste is of a slight caramel malt backbone with touches of citrus fruits. The main taste is of earthy hops and touches of floral hops. The mouthfeel is moderate carbonation. Overall its a nice beer, good flavor and nice aroma, not the best IPA you will ever have, but it is very solid.

3.48/5  rDev -19.6%

Wow, not overly impressed with this. Orange body, pale white head, average lacing. Pine and citrus nose. Enh. Grapefruity taste but quite sour; a little TOO much grapefruit, it seems. Astringent 'feel. Okay drinkability.

Seems all west coast on the surface but underneath it's pedestrian at best. Get one of the other 41 beers on tap is my advice. And, as an unabashed Fat Heads fanboy, it hurts to say this. Honestly. Bottom line: get something else.

3.49/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: yellowish orang color. a finger of a white head that fades slowly and leaves a little bit of a lacing behind. some haze but no where near opaque.

Smell: mostly citrus hops and crystal malts. some other hoppy aromas, mainly lemon

Taste: opens with a short burst of crystal. quickly taken away by hops. somewhat tropical, fairly citrusy and very lemony. i don't dig the lemon bread quality of the mixture

Mouthfeel: fairly light and some bitterness, but not a resin, more of a lemon bread sweet bitterness.

Overall: no doubt its a well brewed and well received beer. but the lemony hops just make for a mixture I don't dig in an IPA

3.51/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to griffeyb for throwing this one in as an extra. Long time want

A - Straight up solid IPA: honey colored with a nice bubbly head that retains very well with a thin cap. The head saves the beer

S - Sweet malts. Not much going on, but what is going on is strong: huge citric hops and an aspirin-like mineral element. Slightly grassy. Caramely alcohol.

T - Huge bitterness that is reminiscent of pomelo rind and ruby red grapefruit, good malt backbone. Nice dryness, which definitely gets points in my book

M - Smooth and medium bodied with a very nice lively carbonation.

Been wanting to try this for a while, and it is solid, but not all the way good. I think that it may be just a little past its prime.

3.54/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Kurmaraja for this one. Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a medium hazy bright gold color with about 1/3 inch of white that had moderate retention and good lacing.

The aroma was mostly sharp hops, mainly citrus and cat with some light pine in the background. No real malt in the nose. Pretty much the same story on the tongue, citrus, cat pee, and the gentle pine, and just the faintest malt presence.

The body was pretty typical for the style, crisp, clean, and dry. The bitterness lingered a bit too long on the finish for my tastes. Drinkability was pretty good, I could see having a few of these if I were in a hoppy mood. Overall, a very good example of the style. Is it an elite level beer? I don't know. But, I do know if this were available regularly to me, it would be on my rotation. Certainly worth trying if you see it.

3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Tasted on 3/27/11. Reviewed from notes Thanks to SDSurfer217 for this beer:

A: pours a golden color with a half finger of head, slightly cloudy

S: I smell citrus and grapefruit but not as strong as other IPAs on the nose.

T: A pretty good hop punch. Lots of grapefruit. Floral hops in front with a grassy finish almost sour finish. Aftertaste is not my favorite but rest is tasty.

M: Lots of carb, light feel but at the same time the hops coat the mouth nicely.

O: A good IPA w/ a funky aftertaste/finish. Would definitely enjoy again but with the explosion of IPAs would pick others first.

3.63/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Golden clear

S - citrus fruity mixture

T - hop presence is nice but the malts come too much towards the front of the taste

F - light drinkable refreshing

O - solid everyday IPA

3.67/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured from a bottle had via a trade with TheGordianKnot! Cheers!

A: pours a clear but gold color. Looks good.. Slight head w/nice lacing.

S: very inviting. Strong citrus nose. They smell like grapefruit & orange.Smells delicious! There are some light malty notes in the background.

T: Doesn't match the nose. Grapefruit & orange are there. Hops and big roasty malts take over early and stay til the end. Alcohol is very smooth, slight hint.

M: Pretty standard for a nice IPA.

O: Man this beer has hype. Rates great and is very solid. The roasted malts just dominate a bit too much for me. I'd prefer the citrus hops on the nose to follow through til at least the middle. For me, solid, too many other IPA's that I prefer.

3.69/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into FFF Teku

A: pours a golden orange with 2 fingers of head that receded quickly

S: Grapefruit and other citrus, with some Pine notes and a bit of onion.

T: Some faded citrus, but mostly muted pine and a hint of onion. Nowhere near as nice as the aroma.

M: Middle of the road for an IPA

O: Meh. Solid Meh. I have had worse, and have had a whole lot better. I know some of my ohio brethren love this beer, but I really don't see anything special about it. Aroma was pleasant, but everything else was quite sub par. Might just be spoiled living double lives in SoCal and the Vt/NH border, but I can get far better in both states easy. This was an extra on a trade though, so it could be past freshness. Who can say though because THERE WAS NO DATE ON THE BOTTLE...

3.71/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ah, here we are. A want for awhile now. I received this today from a trade with michaellcoates - thanks, buddy! 7.5% ABV confirmed. "American-Style India Pale Ale." 87 IBU. Expectations are through the roof; this is my first beer from Fat Head's and its on the list of top beers. Really looking forward to it. Don't see a bottle date/julian code. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with cool fun label and orange branded pry-off cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours almost entirely head, seven fingers wide at the least. Head is a healthy beige colour. Gorgeous soft complexion. Nice creaminess. Good frothiness and thickness. Retention is excellent, about 8-10 minutes. Lacing is light and even yet inconsistent as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour is a pretty vibrant somewhat pale copper. Translucent and transparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's an attractive appearance for the style, but I wouldn't call it unique or special. The head is impressive. I'm looking forward to trying it. Quite inviting.

Sm: Piney. Resinous. Floral hops, with a twinge of grapefruit zest on the back end. Nectary and citrusy, even a bit juicy. I don't get the pineapple mentioned on the label - which is good, I hate pineapple in IPAs (and beer in general, actually). I guess you could call it dank. Fairly pungent, but not overbearing. A biteen soapy; maybe just a bit too long in primary. Pale malts. Hop oils. Grassy character. Light buttery character. Maybe a bit of caramalt. Soft and approachable. Most importantly, it's balanced. No naked hop bitterness is obvious. A good aroma overall, but maybe not as clean as I'd like. And a bit too dry; I'd like it more overtly juicy and refreshing. Moderately strong.

T: A bit more tropical than I'd like; I do get some light pineapple and mango. Hop profile is diverse: floral hops, oily hops, nectary hops, light citrusy hops (in the form of a timid grapefruit twang), and piney hops. Somewhat dank, but also not as clean as I'd like. Herbal cannabis-like hops are prominent, perhaps even dominant. Well balanced, with no overt hop bitterness. Lots happening here; good complexity and flavour integration. It comes off cohesive. Pleasant to drink, with no alcohol coming through. Resiny. I don't get any yeasty notes from it. Body is comprised of pale malts and a bit of light caramalt. Some subtlety here. Lightly bready. Maybe even light fleeting candied notes on the climax.

Overall, it's a different type of IPA than I'm used to; much more herbal and cannabis-like than any IPA I've ever had. I quite fancy it, and the more I get accustomed to it the more I like it. Tasty stuff. Good depth of flavour. Good flavour duration.

Mf: First thing that hit me when I sipped it was how soft it is. Very pleasant and soothing to drink. Smooth as hell. Not as clean as it needs to be, and not crisp at all. A bit scratchy, like the feeling cannabis generates in one's throat. Somewhat dry in the second act, but it gets wet on the finish. Oily. Good thickness. Somewhat refreshing. Not as juicy as I'd like. Overall, it suits the flavour profile quite well and facilitates each note nicely. Feels custom-tailored to the flavour profile, yet it shares the herbal cannabis-like scratchy quality that's really holding this beer back. Undercarbonated.

Dr: Drinkable and it hides its ABV well, but that scratchy somewhat rough texture along with the cannabis-esque flavours does limit drinkability; I doubt I'd want to kill a 6 pack of this in a night. It's pleasant and enjoyable and I really respect its approach to the style. Feels innovative, not imitative or mimetic. I'd love to try this on-draught. But it does make me want to cough a bit; it tickles the back of the throat with those pesky herbal notes. I can see why it has its high ranking, and while I don't know that's it's world class, it's definitely amongst the most unique IPAs I've had. I'd happily have it again and I'd recommend it to friends, but I doubt I'd trade for it again. A solid staple from Ohio and one that would be a mainstay in my fridge if I lived out there.

High B

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%

12oz bottle from Delock's Discount Liquors (Munster, IN). 8.99/ 4 pack. No bottling date. Served in a Burnt Hickory snifter.

Pours hazy deep amber with notable turbidity and about one finger of pale thick head that leave lacing aplenty.

Smells of citrus and piney hops with an obvious sweet bready malt note behind them.

Tastes of bold bitter dank hops. Citrus rind, wet grass, dank garlic/onion, grapefruit and a little bready malt back there too. Really nice blend. Very bitter but plenty of flavor goin on.

Slick, medium body with moderate carbonation. Long bitter citrus peel finish.

Good stuff here. I would definately get this pretty regularly if I could buy it in Georgia. Worth a try for sure if you like dank bitter IPAs.

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle acquired in a trade with mps
Bottled on: 02/06/14
Served in a pint glass

The nearly crystal clear, medium amber liquid was topped by a two-finger tall, tight, foamy, eggshell colored crown. A clingy, drippy ring of lacing coated the top portion of the glass. The head quickly fell to a thin cap.

The aroma was both hoppy and sweet. Citrusy, c-style hops were matched by a robust caramel malt sweetness. Candy coated orange peel notes were apparent. Spicy and zesty. Hints of juicy tangerine came through as well.

A mix of sweet, caramel malts and candied citrus peel led things off in the flavor profile. Zesty and juicy with strong grapefruit notes. Slightly spicy. As the beer moved along the palate, it transitioned from being sweet and citrusy to dry and brutally bitter. Lemon pith and white grapefruit rind appeared in the finish. Lots of resiny pine sap as well.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied and fairly nondescript. Slightly thin for the style and the ABV. The liquid contained a spritzy, large bubbled effervescence that turned slightly creamy once it settled on the palate.

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA is a heavily malted and aggressively hopped palate wrecker of an IPA. I personally would have preferred less caramel malt sweetness on the front end and less hop bitterness on the finish, but the same amount of overall flavor. This reminded me a lot of some old-school West Coast IPAs that were deemed "extreme" before the age of extreme beers.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

FatHead's Headhunter IPA. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A: Deep golden color, light white frothy head that dissipated quickly. Looks like some poor filtering as there is hop material that made it into the bottle and into my glass. A bit of a turn-off. 6/10
S: Wow, major fruit, grapefruit and citrus notes with some floral and a hint of dankness. Awesome aroma. Reminds me of Stone's enjoy by. 9/10
T: Bitterness through and through. only lightly malty with hops front and center. Some fruitiness, but not significant. clean flavors. 7/10
M: medium body, some hop astringency on the finish. a bit harsher than I'd like. 6/10
O: A nice IPA. Could use some work to clean up bottling practices at this small local Ohio brewery. Needs to be crystal clear, with only a hint of yeast haze if it is bottle conditioned. Great deep golden color, phenomenal aroma and clean flavors. A cleaner aftertaste would be preferable. I'd drink another though. 7/10 or 3.75 stars.

3.76/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Well, this took too long....

I've been reading beer adv. for years. Stealing and gleaning info. Free info. is often misleading when were talking the palate. Obviously, it can differ greatly but some common themes will exist.

Now the beer. Well what do I say. I've probably reviewed and drank a thousand ipa's. So I expect greatness. Having truly started beerhunting in the great lakes region I'm greatly biased. This beer is reminiscent of two hearted, when two hearted was brewed in much smaller batches by Mr. Larry Bell. A great whiff of dank hops perfectly timed in the brewing process. But then again I ponder Great lakes brewing and how well dortmunder gold was-malty and beatufllly neither under or over hopped. Again, smaller batches less popularity. That is where I see fat heads. Another great Midwest brewery taking special attention to each batch. Superior ingredients.. Done with a nod to the weather and shipments good or bad. A great ipa. But nothing new. Just well done small batch brewing. The way it should be done.

I hear that in Germany their are still many microbrews. Thank god we are trying to keep things small. But at a price. At three dollars a bottle, I almost feel like a good looking barmaid should be bringing this my way..

Worth seeking out. But chances are some sort of great ale project exists in your backyard to sample as well.

Over and out, Big Ed hunkered down in SW Ohio. Once home to the brewing mecca of this sad to say faltering country.

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a crisp yellowish orange. Sme nice solid head tht dissipates quickly. Nice lacing. Smells great. Lots of piney hops on the nose. Taste is a bit overly bitter. The mouthfeel is a bit lacking due to the bitterness but the drinkability is decent for how hoppy it is. Overall, worth trying but i wouldn't drink it regularly

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Gifted to me by a friend following a trip to Pittsburgh; excited to try given high ranking + non-availability in New York. Fat Head’s markets this as a west coast-style IPA, and while some of the hallmark WCIPA flavors are present, this strikes me as more of a Midwestern, Two-Hearted-style drinker.

Appearance: Light orange

Smell: Slight citrus, but not overwhelmingly so. Citrus is offset by more earthy tones.

Taste: Fat Head’s brews Head Hunter with Columbus, Simcoe and Centennial, and as mentioned, the Centennial really rises to the forefront for me, evoking Two-Hearted. The Simcoe provides a nice counter-balance to the Centennial, but in concert with Columbus gives off a considerably more piney/grassy/earthy taste than the citrusy west coast-style Fat Head’s claims to have been going for.

Mouthfeel: Sharp, piney, resinous

Overall: A very good Midwestern IPA. I’d love to try this on tap one day.

3.79/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, no clear bottling date, at bd Mongolian BBQ in Coventry (Cleveland OH). Poured into an unlabeled pint glass. This is the third time I've had this beer, but the first time I'm feeling like reviewing this.

Review #261.

Pours a nice copper-orange body with a 2cm white head, decent retention, nothing special. Looks like a typical IPA to me, rings of lacing stick around on the glass as I drink this beer down.

Smells quite hoppy- citrus and pine primarily. Some orange and lemon up front with pine at the end, mixed in with a fairly decent but not substantial bready malt backbone.

Flavour is actually fairly mild- mostly citrus and biscuits, finishing off with hints of pine. Fairly hoppy, but overall quite balanced and not skewed in any one department.

Smooth, drinkable, medium bodied with good carbonation. Not particularly resinous but leaves a fairly nice dry feel on the palate. No hint of alcohol.

Fairly good regional IPA, it gets a lot of love on here and I kind of get it.. but its certainly not among the best I've had. It's not mindblowingly good, while its a very well constructed, balanced IPA with good flavours. But well, maybe I just need to get into that proper Cleveland mindset.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours orange with a little burntness to it and a nice thick, foamy white head. A nice juicy orange aroma on top of a sweet, bready malt base. Flavor starts off with the citrus out the game, the middle is more the bready malt, and it closes with the marriage of piney hops and malt with a decently bitter finish. A nice creamy mouthfeel. Overall, Ohio with another solid IPA.

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear yellow/orange color. Nose has some earthy hops, but not a lot. Taste is all earthy bitter hops. Finish is more of the same. A solid but one track beer.

3.84/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle: Poured a bright clear orangey color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some a good lacing. Aroma consists of fruity ester with some citrus hoppy notes and light sweet malt notes. Taste is also dominated by citrusy hops with fresh sweet fruity notes and some lightly sweet malt notes with limited level of bitterness. Body is about average with good carbonation. Definitely above standard IPA from those guys.

3.84/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into tulip.

A: Pours cloudy amber with a decent amount fluffy head.

S: Mostly grapefruit, a little tropical fruit, and honey.

T: Citrus, pine, and some floral followed by the malt. A slight lingering bitterness.

M: Medium bodied. A bit over-carbonated for me. Goes down foamy at first.

O: Not bad. A bit malty, which isn't my style. Just not that memorable for me.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Single bottle, bottled on date was too smeared to read.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber/light copper wit ha 1/4" rocky, off-white head. Streams of tiny bubbles flow upward, and lasting lacing lingers on the glass.

Aroma: Pineapple, mango, grapefruit. This is a tropical "fruit bomb."

Taste: Arrival is bitter (?) and slightly fruity. Tight & bitter across mid-palate, with hints of maltiness. Dry, bitter, almost woody/green finish. Utterly imbalanced.

Mouthfeel: Solidly mid-weight. with firm but not overpowering effervescence.

Overall: This was really talked up. In terms of aroma, it met and exceeded my expectations. But the malt profile is a little lacking for me. I like balance, and this is not balanced. For those who really like the West-coast IPA style, I can see this being off the charts.

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

Big thanks to CruisaC for sending me this one. Orange-yellow color with the slightest haze, good thick foam of a head. Smells like resiny hops, a little . Flavor is super hoppy, very bitter finish, slight bit of malt holding it all together. Whew, this is very bitter. Overall a good IPA and it is what the label says but this can't touch the west coast. Maybe I need one straight off the bottling line.

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

Thanks again to brew3crew and urbancaver for the bottle.

No date information available. 7.5% 87 IBUs

Clear yellow orange body leans towards the lighter side of the style but that cannot be held against it.Three finger soft frothy head works its way back slowly. Very solid lacing coats the walls of the glass.

The aroma is pleasant though I find myself slightly disappointed. There is a nice blend of resinous pine and citrus aromas though the intensity is lacking.

The flavor is very much hop forward. Juicy grapefruit, citrus pith and pine coat the tongue. The sweet and bitter hop flavors are presented with a fair amount of balance. The pithy flavor does become a bit much though not overpowering. The malt profile is sturdy but subtle providing an excellent base to layer the hops upon. Slight caramel flavor provides some sweetness underneath, thankfully it is held in check.

Medium bodied IPA. Carobnation levels are spot on for an IPA. The finish is not quite as dry as I would prefer but still with in the acceptable range for the style.

Nice IPA, certainly glad to have had the opportunity to enjoy. While the aroma certainly put me off slightly the only other complaints I have are simply personal preference. Rather easy drinking, would no be opposed to having this available to me as an everyday option. Good IPA that falls just short of the next level.

3.89/5  rDev -10.2%

Big old thanks to alelover for yet another big want of mine!

Bright honey golden body capped with an off-white rocky set of carb that retains very well.

Big, juicy citrus hops dominate the nose... no shortage of abrasive bitterness... orange peel and grapefruit... just a slight suggestion of tropical fruit.

The first thing I notice here is how the milky head really makes this enjoyable to drink, I've got a nice beer-stache going at the moment. The hop presence is intense... sharp, dry hop bite that leaves hardly enough room for the sweet citrus flavors beneath. Malts a non-existent. I like this one but the bitterness is overwhelming in my opinion.

Very glad to finally get to try this one!

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon