Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

1st batches were 7.0% ABV
Ratings: 3,503 | Reviews: 508
3.94/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Wow, what a a great beer. This is one of the best IPAs I've ever had. Delicious and full of flavor. I am never disappointed with Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon. Very pleased with this brew and I have since recommended it to many. Very excited to get this again.

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle.

Partly cloudy bronze-orange head. Small finger of tight-bubbled, eggshell white head. Lots of pine, resin, dank, citrus zest, and orange marmalade on the nose. Some fruity malt sweetness pokes through as well. Still, this beer has the aroma of a hop monster.

Lightly toasted malt up front. Citrus rind and herbal hop bitterness quickly follows. Bitterness swells, with notes of lots of citrus, pine, and resinous danky hops. Toffeish malt with fruit notes provide a little malty sweetness. Lots of grapefruit and dank resinous hop flavor and bitterness dry out the palate into the finish. Lingering citrus and pine. Medium bodied, with a slightly creamy feel. Very nice.

4.51/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Says bottled July 30, 2013, enjoyed August 2, 2013. That is fresh, and I am impressed that it got to Florida within a day from Ohio (arrived at shop on July 31!). Pours a yellowish orange, hazy, with a very small white head. Aroma is big mango and pine hops, grapefruit, pineapple, lots of citrus. Flavor is a nice big bitter with beautiful mango flavor with hints of lime zest. High carbonation and medium mouthfeel. Good beer.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 7.15.2013

Appearance - pours a crimson golden color with white head

Smell - pineapple, mango, grapefruit

Taste - everything in the nose - pineapple, mango, grapefruit, hop bitterness

Mouthfeel - heavier side of medium bodied, a bit syrupy, medium to high carbonation, finish is long with citrus and hop bitterness

Overall - pretty good, flavorful and bold IPA. Recommended

Price Point - $2.25/12 oz single

4.02/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a heady topper stemless glass.

A: Hazy, Cloudy. about an inch of head that holds on longer than expected.

S: My favorite part of this beer. citrusy to be sure.

T: Citrusy, Hoppy. Not getting much pine or anything like that. This beer is not balanced, but I don't think it's supposed to be.

M: not watery or thin by any means, but not as full as I like my IPAs.

O: This is my 3rd bottle of this, and I have liked it less and less each time. Might be palate change, or being spoiled by VT IPAs, but I used to think this was world class. To me, it's just middle of the road now.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Small white head on a hazy, copper body. The foam settles moderately and leaves nice lace. A very nice citrus and dank pine aroma. Sweet malt in the flavor with a bit of pine and sweaty hops. Medium thick body, average carbonation, and a balanced finish. Very nice, the aroma really shines with a great combination of citrus and tropical fruit.

3.84/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle: Poured a bright clear orangey color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some a good lacing. Aroma consists of fruity ester with some citrus hoppy notes and light sweet malt notes. Taste is also dominated by citrusy hops with fresh sweet fruity notes and some lightly sweet malt notes with limited level of bitterness. Body is about average with good carbonation. Definitely above standard IPA from those guys.

3.69/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into FFF Teku

A: pours a golden orange with 2 fingers of head that receded quickly

S: Grapefruit and other citrus, with some Pine notes and a bit of onion.

T: Some faded citrus, but mostly muted pine and a hint of onion. Nowhere near as nice as the aroma.

M: Middle of the road for an IPA

O: Meh. Solid Meh. I have had worse, and have had a whole lot better. I know some of my ohio brethren love this beer, but I really don't see anything special about it. Aroma was pleasant, but everything else was quite sub par. Might just be spoiled living double lives in SoCal and the Vt/NH border, but I can get far better in both states easy. This was an extra on a trade though, so it could be past freshness. Who can say though because THERE WAS NO DATE ON THE BOTTLE...

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours vibrant burnt yellow with some haze. A finger of head and lots of lacing.

Resiny, tropical aromas up front. Heavy grapefruit, orange peel, sticky pine.

Taste falls short compared to nose. Citrus/pine combination with an overload of bitterness and grassy aftertaste. Hoppy resins could find some balance.

Substantial body holds up to big hop flavors, smooth, nearly chewy.

Proper west coast IPA from Ohio. Wouldn't mind having this one again.

4.74/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Head Hunter has a nice orange color and is topped with a 1” of white head that has great retention to it.
Smell: The smell is just wafting from the pint glass and the nose gets blasted by citrus and pine hops great smelling IPA.
Taste: The taste goes along well with the smell; the citrus hops blast the palate and are followed by the pine and grass hops. It has a bit of a dry finish with goes well with the beer.
Mouthfeel: Head hunter is a medium bodied beer that has great taste and keeps me wanting more. Darn good IPA out of Ohio that I would put up against any IPA out there.

4.34/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium orange hue with a light haze and tons of effervescence. There are also a few hop bits floating around in there ... nice. Head is a thick finger of pillowy ivory foam. An attractive beer!

Smell: rich aroma with a nice malty base and loads of piney hop character. There's some nice grapefruit and a good earthiness mixed in there as well. Quite good indeed.

Taste: oh, wow, this is good. Rich maltiness which is sweet but not too sweet, plus the piney/grapefruity flavor and a solid but not overdone bitterness. Surprisingly smooth for an IPA with this much flavor. Sha ZAM.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a big, satisfying creaminess; especially good for an IPA.

Overall: a highly delicious beer. It is one of the most full-flavored IPAs I've ever had, and although the onslaught of flavor might prevent me from drinking it all day, it's still very quaffable. Kudos!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazed honey copper color with two fingers of white foam.

The Nose picks up sweet malt with citrus and floral hops.

Taste follows the nose with sweet clover honey, floral notes. Balanced citrus and malt flavor. Finishes slightly dry with lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is smooth and full with a nice balanced malt and hop profile. Medium effervescence.

Overall a great gift from a friend at 3 Floyds!

4.54/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I drank out of the bottle and will need to edit this review later for appearance.

This was a palate-wrecking bitter IPA in the same class as Stone Ruination. Very West Coast IPA. 87 IBUs, but tasted more bitter than I remember the 102 IBU Hop Stoopid tasting. Just a real pleasant surprise out of Ohio. Very unassuming high quality.

The expected citrus, pine and bready notes are present here.

If you are a hop head you will love this beer. If super hoppy, super bitter beers that ravage your taste buds and leave you unable to taste anything else the rest of the night aren't your thing, you might want to avoid this beer.

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A : Poured a clouded orangish color with a 1/4 inch white head. There is a good amount of white lacing present.

S : Big whiff of tropical fruits, grassiness and some grains with a dash of pine needles as well. It smells refreshing and I am hping it tastes as good as it smells.

T : Initial tropical fruit bouquet meets grass. A little bit of biscuity undertones with a nice dryness to it. The finish is rather dry, refrshing with a moderate bitterness and more tropical fruits

M: Light-medium/ medium bodied, well carbonated. Nice amount of bitterness and tropical fruits, grass sit on the palate.

O: A solid drinking IPA. Balanced.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - A hazy orange somewhat close to copper. The head dissipates quick but with nice lacing.
S - big time citrus hops and pine
T - Citrus, Pine and Grapefruit. A hop head IPA. Malts do the job of balancing.
M - Medium body and moderate carbination. A dry finish with a lingering bitterness.
O - Have recently noticed this one but not big on four packs. Bought a single bottle and glad that I did it. This one is up front hops and made in my state of Ohio.

4.04/5  rDev -6.9%

Out of a bottle and in the backyard.

Oh buddy is this lil son of a gun juicy. Hot diggity dog is this lil sucker on all cylinders. Rat a tat tat give daddy a pat on the back!

Juicy, sexy and delectable. Sexy like a tornado and hot like a hurricane. Give it to me, baby. Give it to me.

3.71/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ah, here we are. A want for awhile now. I received this today from a trade with michaellcoates - thanks, buddy! 7.5% ABV confirmed. "American-Style India Pale Ale." 87 IBU. Expectations are through the roof; this is my first beer from Fat Head's and its on the list of top beers. Really looking forward to it. Don't see a bottle date/julian code. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with cool fun label and orange branded pry-off cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours almost entirely head, seven fingers wide at the least. Head is a healthy beige colour. Gorgeous soft complexion. Nice creaminess. Good frothiness and thickness. Retention is excellent, about 8-10 minutes. Lacing is light and even yet inconsistent as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour is a pretty vibrant somewhat pale copper. Translucent and transparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's an attractive appearance for the style, but I wouldn't call it unique or special. The head is impressive. I'm looking forward to trying it. Quite inviting.

Sm: Piney. Resinous. Floral hops, with a twinge of grapefruit zest on the back end. Nectary and citrusy, even a bit juicy. I don't get the pineapple mentioned on the label - which is good, I hate pineapple in IPAs (and beer in general, actually). I guess you could call it dank. Fairly pungent, but not overbearing. A biteen soapy; maybe just a bit too long in primary. Pale malts. Hop oils. Grassy character. Light buttery character. Maybe a bit of caramalt. Soft and approachable. Most importantly, it's balanced. No naked hop bitterness is obvious. A good aroma overall, but maybe not as clean as I'd like. And a bit too dry; I'd like it more overtly juicy and refreshing. Moderately strong.

T: A bit more tropical than I'd like; I do get some light pineapple and mango. Hop profile is diverse: floral hops, oily hops, nectary hops, light citrusy hops (in the form of a timid grapefruit twang), and piney hops. Somewhat dank, but also not as clean as I'd like. Herbal cannabis-like hops are prominent, perhaps even dominant. Well balanced, with no overt hop bitterness. Lots happening here; good complexity and flavour integration. It comes off cohesive. Pleasant to drink, with no alcohol coming through. Resiny. I don't get any yeasty notes from it. Body is comprised of pale malts and a bit of light caramalt. Some subtlety here. Lightly bready. Maybe even light fleeting candied notes on the climax.

Overall, it's a different type of IPA than I'm used to; much more herbal and cannabis-like than any IPA I've ever had. I quite fancy it, and the more I get accustomed to it the more I like it. Tasty stuff. Good depth of flavour. Good flavour duration.

Mf: First thing that hit me when I sipped it was how soft it is. Very pleasant and soothing to drink. Smooth as hell. Not as clean as it needs to be, and not crisp at all. A bit scratchy, like the feeling cannabis generates in one's throat. Somewhat dry in the second act, but it gets wet on the finish. Oily. Good thickness. Somewhat refreshing. Not as juicy as I'd like. Overall, it suits the flavour profile quite well and facilitates each note nicely. Feels custom-tailored to the flavour profile, yet it shares the herbal cannabis-like scratchy quality that's really holding this beer back. Undercarbonated.

Dr: Drinkable and it hides its ABV well, but that scratchy somewhat rough texture along with the cannabis-esque flavours does limit drinkability; I doubt I'd want to kill a 6 pack of this in a night. It's pleasant and enjoyable and I really respect its approach to the style. Feels innovative, not imitative or mimetic. I'd love to try this on-draught. But it does make me want to cough a bit; it tickles the back of the throat with those pesky herbal notes. I can see why it has its high ranking, and while I don't know that's it's world class, it's definitely amongst the most unique IPAs I've had. I'd happily have it again and I'd recommend it to friends, but I doubt I'd trade for it again. A solid staple from Ohio and one that would be a mainstay in my fridge if I lived out there.

High B

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks, Todd! Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. No freshness or bottling date on the bottle. Oh, well.

Pours a hazy, amber orange color complete with about 4 fingers worth of white head that rise all the way to the top of the glass. The head itself is remarkable in texture, often resembling a foamy, sticky, almost pasty texture. It settles to about a half finger's worth, but leaves behind enough lacing to add character. Floaties are definitely present in this thing, not in a Heady Topper-esque way, but unfiltered enough with tiny chunks in midst of the otherwise cleared appearance. Looks great.

I definitely tingled with excitement when I immediately placed my nose towards the beer. This is swimming in huge citrus notes, pine needles (almost to the point of being minty), as well as a variety of fruits from papaya, grapefruit, and apricots. It's almost to the point of being dank, but actually ends up churning out a bright, vibrant astringency. The malts deliver a slightly caramel character, although with the alcohol slightly present it could even be on its way to being butterscotch-y. Everything is very well placed together, and its pine/citrus profile is so present that I would have been fooled into thinking that this were a West Coast offering if served to me blind. While I wish it had more of the tropical flavors that I expected, it still is very well put together.

At the flavor, however, I can see where this gets all the attention. At the front of the tongue, you get an elevated bitterness and soft malty breadiness that soon melds into a variety of extremely juicy fruits. Mangoes, papaya, grapefruit, passion fruit, pineapples, oranges, melons, honeysuckle, as well as a mineral, hop forward earthiness. Extremely phenomenal - especially how the sweetness imparted by the malts and booze create the actual sensation of chewing on these fruits and more. Very wet, even for an IPA. While it's pretty bitter, it's still extraordinarily silky for the style at hand, as the froth and carbonation provide a smoothened out, syrupy experience that goes down like a charm. Leaves behind an inordinate amount of stickiness, as well as creaminess on the palate. There's a remarkable amount of heat at the finish, which came as a surprise, and could get intolerable in the long run. Otherwise, truly fantastic stuff.

This must be one of the most festive IPAs I've ever had. All these flavors come together beautifully, and the texture is easy to down as any viscous, fruit forward wine. My favorite part other than the fruitiness is the undeniable wetness that this holds - in fact, its lack of dryness makes it scarily quaffable. This beer has been romanticized to death, recently, and I can see why. It reminds me of many different IPAs across the country, but holds on its own as pretty unique. Great stuff - can't wait to get more!

4.81/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a tangerine color with a half finger of head, pretty clear.

Smell is 100% hops, wow. Grapefruit, citrus peel, pine, wow.

Taste is more of the same, grapefruit peel, pine, citrus really can not taste any malt and it is fine by me! underlying sweet orange flavors

Mouthfeel is medium light, sharp carbonation.

Wow, good thing I can not get this because I would be drinking this daily!! All Hops here and I loved it.

Bottled in April 2013. Poured into Greenbush snifter

Appearance is clear and light golden orange

Smell is dank earthy piney hops. Smells like simcoe hops to me

Taste is dominated by hops. Nice bitterness with a piney citrusy fruit taste from the hops. Not getting much from the malt and I don't mind since I like hop forward ipas. Very slight sweetness is all I get from the malt

Mouthfeel is very nice. Medium carbonation and a dry feel

Overall this would be one of my go to standard ipas if it were readily available here. Will pick up whenever I see this

3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

(Served in a bowtie glass)
A- There is a hint of haze to the bright orange body with a thick beige cream that last a good bit as a thin film.

S- There is a full woody green hops with a mint quality to it as it opens up

T- The herbal hops have a slight spicy pungency with some green bitterness that lingers a moment after each sip. There is a pale and lightly toasted malt hint in the first few sips but it gets covered by the hop pungency as it grows.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has a tight fizzy bite in the finish.

O- The big fizz boost the hop bitterness which covers a lot of the other flavors but it does have some nice hop flavors and some malt hints. It is just the bitterness is out of balance.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Having a bottle at Arena Bar & Grill in Wilkes Barre, PA. Served in a goblet.

Appearance: This beer poured a small head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pale orange color with great clarity and bubbles coming up through the glass. Nice lacing on the glass as the beer was drank too.

Smell: Pine, citrus, grapefruit, and pineapple. Some caramel and bready malts in there too.

Taste: Super tasty. Same as above with lingering hop bitterness. Aggressively hopped, but bearable.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium carbonation, tingly bitterness, a little chewy, and medium bodied.

Overall: I had this on draft a few years ago at the Fat Heads Saloon in Pittsburgh. Still an awesome beer.

4.46/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured a two week old bottle into a pint glass. Pours a nice orangish gold with a two finger head . Smell is pine upfront with some great citrus in the background. Taste is fantastic. Similar to aroma an initial bitter rush of pine finished with a grapefruit kick that stays with you. A nice dry finish makes it an easy drinker that hides the abv well. One of the best ipas out there to me. Happy to live within walking distance and get this on a regular basis.

4.04/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a rich, coppery color with a thick foam. The nose is not very strong, so you're not really sure what you're in for. However, the flavors in this one are so good, I almost put the whole bottle down before I had time to type up the review. It has just a touch of malt to it, but the piney notes assure you that the hops are in control. The overall mix of bitter flavors are excellent, and while they are aggressive, they're not too, well, "too." It lingers in your mouth long after the liquid is gone, but not in a way that makes you need to clean it out. It's a great beer that I wish I had unlimited access to in my area.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As I pour this one into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass I first seem to get very little, but quickly find out I was wrong. My head gets to the top of my glass and trickles over at around 3 fingers. Head is a soft doughy beige in tone. Tones of lace is left behind with nice retention. Body is a bold copper amber in tone. The whole look itself is very enticing. Nose is of fresh cut grass and grapefruit rind. There is a hint of lemon zest and pepper also. All in all the nose is a bit soft. With first sip you get a creamy bitter dance on the tongue. The rind tones really build up the bite as you drink. Piny and rustic with layers of deep dry hops. Really develops well as you enjoy this on. It did start a bit on the soft side but finishes wonderfully. Mouthfeel is one that really hangs on and is monstrously bitter(in a good way).

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon