2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPAFat Head's Head Hunter IPA

Ratings: 2082

Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon visit their website
Ohio, United States

1st batches were 7.0% ABV

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 06-19-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,082 | Reviews: 386 | Show All Ratings:
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%

From 64oz growler to Hess imperial pint glass on 5/30/12
*From notes

-- I must take a moment to thank both siege06nd and Papa Siege for grabbing a fresh fill of this amazingness and hauling it all the way from the Land of Cleve. Such a generous and thoughtful act. I sincerely appreciate it, gents! --

A: Clean and sexy 24k golden amber in hue. A steady pour yields a massive three finger head that's sticky and dense and simply marvelous. It sticks to the walls of the glass from top to bottom, and the collar is just insane.

S: Holy Christ this smells good. The moment I open the growler and I hear that hiss, it fills the room with non-stop tropical hops. The fruity esters are some of the best I can recall. As I drink, I find myself sniffing and digging my nose deeper and deeper into my glass to get more of what comes across like crack for my schnoz. If this isn't perfect, I don't know what is.

T: It's initially a bit bitter up front. But it doesn't last long, as the fruit intertwines and eventually rules the mid to back. Mango, pineapple, hints of melon and every other Caribbean fruit you can think of surf onto the palate and make for a killer IPA that sticks to my jowels. As it warms, I do get some alcohol on the finish.

M: Plenty of carbonation, yet it's creamy and medium bodied. It's extremely easy to drink, as this is silky, rich and absurdly approachable.

O: LIKE A BOSS. Fat Heads absolutely nailed this one. It's a world class offering that any and all hop heads should be required to tick. It's crazy how delicous and complex this is, yet it's one I could kick back with on a Sunday with the guys and simply "have a couple cold ones". I really can't express how much I enjoyed this wonderful creation, and eagerly look forward to quaffing it again.

Yet another winner from Cleveland.

05-31-2012 17:02:34 | More by Rhettroactive
TheHoppiest

4.98/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from a Fat Head's growler I picked up this afternoon.

Pours a slightly hazy yellow-gold color, with a 2.5" thick, white sticky head leaving tons of spiderweb lacing as it reduces.

Has a very fragrant, piney citrus aroma. Fresh white pine, hemlock, white grapefruit and honey combine for a clean, crackin' crisp smell.

Starts piney-fresh, with hints of resin, rosewater, and oak leaves. Grapefruit, orange and lemony tastes follow the pine start, ending pleasantly bitter. The hop taste couldn't be fresher, rivalling only Brew Kettle's White Rajah for fresh hopped IPA heaven. There's no unnecessary maltiness or sweetness to balance out the hops or jack up the abv; nor are the hops so intense as to leave your mouth numb. It's no so much that there's a perfect balance, as it is a perfect expression of pure IPA nirvana.

Medium bodied, this is so clean, crisp and just "fresh" in feel and taste that you can't ovestate it. There's an immediacy to the taste and feel that just make this ale explode with flavor.

Simply awesome; it is easy to see why this IPA has won so many awards. I wonder how well it has done once bottled; on tap (or from a fresh growler), however, this IPA is world-class.

04-28-2012 20:47:29 | More by TheHoppiest
mwill7287

I believe this batch of Head Hunter was tapped on Wednesday 4/11 at the brewpub in North Olmsted. I hopped over to the brewpub for lunch on Friday 4/13, enjoyed a pint of the IPA there, and took a growler of it home to enjoy over the weekend. This review is from early Friday evening, probably 3 hours after getting the growler filled. Poured into a standard American pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy golden-yellow/light-orange hue with avid carbonation abounding in the brew after a slightly vigorous pour. A half finger's worth of cushy white head recedes to a cloud cap covering within a minute and holds there before settling to a nice lacing. No lacing left behind on the glass. Lookin' good. 4.75/5

Smell: My nose is a foot from the glass and I can already detect the piney citrus aroma of this IPA, that's how aromatic it is. It's all tropical and citrus fruits - certainly bitter grapefruit, a little juicy pineapple and sweet orange. A bit of pine in there. Fresh and dank. 5/5

Taste: An onslaught of luscious tastes sail over my taste buds. This West Coast child sports sappy resin, strong bitter grapefruit as suggested in the nose, and a strong bitter aftertaste that leaves behind a solid dry spot, calling for another sip. Citrus fruits of orange and pineapple sneak in with repeated sips. Very hoppy but won't repel the tongue with an overeager attack. A complex yet simple, straightforwardly enjoyable IPA. 5/5

Mouthfeel: Dry from the hoppiness of the brew. On the medium-light end of things as far as an IPA goes. Carbonation is just right, being the first pint from the fresh growler. Not sticky at all and goes down pretty smooth. 4.75/5

Overall: Did you expect anything less than essential perfection? This IPA is a medal winner at GABF with great reason. The color is spot on, the nose is entrancing, the taste is to die for and you can keep sipping on it for quite some time. Doesn't get better than that! If only it were truly sessionable, but at 7.5% you're going to have to show some restraint and keep to a few of these. This is THE benchmark beer for me! 5/5

04-16-2012 00:20:39 | More by mwill7287
oline73

Maryland

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with a two finger fluffy white head. The head fades to a layer on top of the pour that sticks around while you sip.

Smell: Sweet with tons of citrus peel notes. Juicy fruit notes with some grain, but I'm really excited by the hop notes that I'm picking up.

Taste: I would put this up against many of the top west coast IPAs. Citrus peel hops dominate with just a hint of pine and enough sweetness to balance things out. The finish is bitter and hoppy. Really nice.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with constantly tingly carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: Fantastic IPA. The hop profile is spot on. I will definitely have another given the chance.

04-02-2012 02:38:36 | More by oline73
BrianGaynor

4.8/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a growler purchased a few days ago from Fatheads.

Appearance: golden yellow-orange color with a finger offsite off-white, thick head. The color is beautiful. Quite a bit of retainment for an IPA.

Smell: strong pine and citrus smell, maybe a little too strong actually.

Taste: unrealistically good taste. Great hops flavor, mild alcoholic kick.

Mouthfeel: a little carbonated, probably because of the serving type. A bit dry, but it goes down smooth.

Overall: without a doubt the best single IPA I've ever had. Incredible taste. I will be disappointed when the growler is empty.

03-13-2012 01:14:40 | More by BrianGaynor
Wasatch

Utah

4.83/5  rDev +11%

Thanks goes out to Hojaminbag for this brew.

Poured into a DFH glass a very nice dark golden hazy orange color, very nice carbonation, very nice three-finger thick/creamy off-white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is nice and hoppy, with some malt notes, very nice citrus and pine notes. The taste is especially nice, hoppy, sweet, with a nice malt blend thrown in, lots of citrus/pine notes. Medium Body, with a slight dry/bitter finish. This is an AWESOME IPA, definitely one of the best I've had to date, Highly Recommended! Thanks Ben! Much appreciated!

12-29-2011 01:25:27 | More by Wasatch
bastu

Tennessee

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Cazlo for the growler!

Not sure of the exact keging date but it's definitely fresh.

Pours a golden orange with a 1 finger head that leaves a nice lacing.

Smells of fresh citrusy dank hops.

Tastes of fresh citrusy dank hops. Not getting any malt flavors. A touch more bitter than the last batch I had, but not so much as to be a detractor.

Mouthfeel and carbonation are just right.

If I could buy this locally I would be much happier.

12-25-2011 15:08:10 | More by bastu
InebriatedJoker

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%

Got this Growler from my buddy David from Cleveland - Thanks David !

Poured from fresh growler into pint tulip -

A: Pours a nice deep clear golden hue with two and a half finger head that descends into a thick off white lacing with lots of webbing as it lowers, good carbonation.

S: Bitter hops with citrus, grapefruit , lemon zest, orange ,malt

T: All the usual suspects here in the flavor , sweet malt with bitter hops, grapefruit, lemon grass, orange zest ,slight pine.

O: Overall this is a solid Ipa that I would drink everyday if available here, It holds it's own against any Ipa I have had , Well done Fat Heads well done..

11-16-2011 00:11:04 | More by InebriatedJoker
Cazlo

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into an Alpine Beer Co. glass from a growler, filled 35 minutes ago at Fat Heads Saloon Pittsburgh. Beautiful clear amber color with just a small thin white head.

Wow, smells of fresh dank green hops, big grapefruit and citrus. This is how an IPA should smell.

The taste follows the nose, big rush of green citrus flavors, grapefruit and mango, slowly giving way to a nice bitter finish. Not much of a malt presence at all, not that I miss it, it's all about the hop profile here.

Light to medium creamy mouthfeel, well carbonated, with the hops leaving a prickly feeling that lingers on the tongue for awhile.

Right up there with my all time favorites, so happy to find this word class IPA right in my backyard. If you are ever in Cleveland or Pittsburgh this one is well worth seeking out, can't wait to try more Fat Head's offerings.

10-15-2011 22:50:43 | More by Cazlo
Dan3279

4.22/5  rDev -3%

I don't make it to the west side of Cleveland too often and I was finally in the neighborhood near Fat Head's and decided to run in and grab a growler of Head Hunter and see what the fuss is all about.

I poured part of the growler into my DFH snifter glass to find a nice golden amber body that I wouldn't call clear or hazy, more middle of the road. A vigorouss pour gave me a two inch head and I can notice a nice bit of carbonation. The aroma is dominated by the pine hops with hints of citrus and caramel.

I was actually disappointed with the first sip, nothing special, it was good, not mind blowing. My expectations were not super high and I expected more citrus than an earthy pine. After a few minutes I took another sip, and another, this beer was quickly growing on me. Its a VERY good American IPA, Personally I go for more of the citrus IPA's, but I really enjoyed this beer after I adjusted my perception of what I thought it was going to be.

This American IPA was medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation, I don't want to go as far as to call it crisp, but it was full of flavor, and easy to drink. If it wasn't for my brother in law stopping over and sitting on some for my wife I could have easily enjoyed the entire growler.

Overall a solid IPA and I will defiantly be stopping into Fat Head's more often when I am on the West side of Cleveland.

07-28-2011 02:51:50 | More by Dan3279
TheDudeRules

3.2/5  rDev -26.4%

Generously hooked up on a trade from Stigs. Poured into my Darkness snifter.

I am going to point out the obvious of this review. It's short, and you will read why.

Pours a nice burnt honey color with about a fingers width of off white head. Smell.... Without a doubt it smells like bunk weed. You can't get around it. Taste is you guessed it... bunk weed with a bit of hop bite. Hop oil slightly coats the tongue in the backend.

I can't rave about this, or in fact call it bad. Very average ipa but it's weed flavored. You take it from there.

05-03-2011 06:47:34 | More by TheDudeRules
jorg2619

4.03/5  rDev -7.4%

I am happy that I was able to grab a growler of headhunter on my way out of fat heads.

Headhunter pours a light light amber almost apple juice colored and has a standard good amount of head with a decent amount of lacing. It has a fresh clean look which is ok. The first whiffs from my Chimay bell are pine and subtle citrus. I found the smell complex and very appealing begging me to drink some. Hop bitter stings the end of my tongue delightfully. This beer is all hops. I taste pine, and grapefruit bitter citrus, intermingling with resin and earthy hop flavors. My god this is a great tasting straight up IPA!!! The mouthfeel is also awesome not to thick and very approachable. Overall I am happy with this beer and would advocate anybody living in Western Pa or Ohio if only to find Head Hunter.

04-02-2011 20:09:57 | More by jorg2619
Ryan011235

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass and a snifter on 3/16/11

Brought back from the brewery by MbpBugeye; thanks Seth! Stoked to try this one...

Lighter amber color; golden and pineapple hues. Slight haziness but not cloudy. Just over one finger of puffy foam holds for a short while then drops to an island of film and collar retention. Not much lace at all, just a few drippy clumps. More lace with the snifter, actually.

Smells great; pretty much hops all the way. Lively citrus notes: grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest and tropical undertones. Some pine, too. Seems to have an Amarillo kick, especially when colder. I wouldn't be surprised if this Cascade and Simcoe, too. Not too much malt peeking through.

The hop presence on the palate is comparable to its expression in the nose. Zesty citrus with no shortage of spicy kick. Lots of dry, bitter grapefruit; kind of pithy and peely in that respect. Orange peel, too with occasional lemon twinges. Not overly piney; more of an after thought. Toasty malt works into the back but it's appropriately dry and out of the way of the hops.

Medium body with a really slick feel. I've tried to shy away from Two Hearted comparisons but it has that same slick, yet resiny feel. The second pour is far more resinous; cool. Carbonation is spot-on for the feel; starts off with enough momentum and tapers off throughout the glass. Finishes dry and grapefruit-bitter.

Without a doubt this is an upper-tier American IPA from the Midwest; nay, an upper-tier American IPA, period. This is a really enjoyable beer and very well-done. I could drink this regularly and be perfectly ok with it.

03-27-2011 18:58:58 | More by Ryan011235
drabmuh

Maryland

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to the Thorpes for picking this growler up, I really appreciate it.

Beer is orange and mostly clear with a nice white head, thick, contiguous, lacing is a plus and carbonation is moderate, looks awesome.

Hops that win out are citrus / fruit in variety, nice volume on the aroma, very inviting.

Wow, super drinkable, a very nice AIPA for sure, medium bodied, chewy hops, lots of esters in the midpalate, great hop flavor, great hop bitterness to finish, not too dry on the back palate, overall a wonderful beer.

03-21-2011 23:40:34 | More by drabmuh
MbpBugeye

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%

Growler split with Ryan011235. A long review using two different glasses, Ryan's famed "E&J Cask and Cream" antique shop find glass and an over-sized snifter, carefully chosen to not be "his" snifter.

Appearance
The beer is a very light, pale gold, I'll even go as far as calling it a rustic shade of yellow. Average sized head from a rough pour from a new growler. Not much lacing and retention is but a thin skim of white bubbles.

Smell
Yeah, this aroma is about perfect. Really making up for the looks here. Its very bright and citrusy. There's not much in the way of malts, at least until the glass becomes over-swirled and room-temperatured. What malts are there are lightly toasted and crackery. Nice floral smells of orange blossom, candied tangerine, mango, pineapple. Lots of really pithy, fleshy citrus. Pine is there, but serves as a second layer to this hop-bomb aroma.

Taste
Bitterness starts stronger then the beer becomes sweetened once you have a few more sips. Lots of that dense, pithy citrus flesh with fresh pine bough and a green sapling type of woodiness. Light crackery malts show up late to the party, and become stronger once the beer warms. I think this one is best served pretty chilled. Keep this at refrigerator temp. There is a strong lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel
Reasonable carbonation that dies off with all the swirling and smelling I did. The aroma was the best part of this though! The body is dry, dry and keeps a long, bitter finish going. It really keeps the palate ready for another pour from the growler.

Overallability
This is a kick ass IPA for sure. The Pliny of Ohio? It certainly follows that style of IPA, more that Columbus IPA or Two Hearted. I think I do prefer this over Elder too. It's by leaps and bounds better than what Cleveland beer drinkers used to have as their standard, go to, local IPA.

03-17-2011 21:36:37 | More by MbpBugeye
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%

Growler shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The beer appears transparent and orange in color with a finger of white head that leaves some decent lacing on the glass.

The aroma has a pleasant citrus scent, along with some floral and tropical fruit notes.

Very tasty stuff. Really easy to drink, Fresh hop presence throughout, with various flavors melding together nicely. The beer finishes with a tangy bitterness and lingers on the palate. Alcohol presence is muted, but this beer will sneak up on you if you're not careful. I would happily drink this again.

03-12-2011 18:37:36 | More by Huhzubendah
mdfb79

From 03/05/11 notes. Growled shared by Thorpe429; thanks Mike.

a - Pours a murky orange color with one inch of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, oranges, fruity malts, and some light pine hops. Oranges jump out the most and it's pretty nice.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, oranges, bitter pine hops, and fruity malts. Some slight bitterness up front.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty nice IPA. Lots of oranges in the smell and taste. Would have again.

03-08-2011 16:19:25 | More by mdfb79
Morey

4.16/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured fresh from my newly acquired Fatheads growler, this beer pours a yellowish-oranged color with an ever so slight haze to it. One finger white head has settled to a thin lace after about 5 minutes or so. Moderate head retention.

The aroma is very citrus forward with orange zest and there's also a bit of grapefruit coming through. along with hints of green onions.

Taste is more of the same. A very citrus forward Ipa. There's bit of a lingering hop bitterness, which I really enjoy.

Medium body with a good carbonation level.

I'm splitting a growler with my brother-in-law, but on a good day, I could put this down myself.

Morey's Bottom Line: A very good IPA for sure. Reminds me a bit of Two Hearted with the big citrus flavor and aroma. If Fathead's bottled this bad boy, I'd pick some up for sure.

02-20-2011 02:19:50 | More by Morey
sitarist

4.9/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a golden color...small bubbles rise to a thick, frothy white head that falls to a ring and top coating that leaves webs of lacing.

Herbal and tropical...I smell pine, tangerine, dried papaya, dried mango, puppy-breath, filo, and some dank kindness...I cant explain, I think its love!

All the love from the nose carries over with a slight bitterness...herbal, fruity, and resinous...A West Coast IPA from the North Coast?!?!!

Medium body with just the right amount of carbonation...slightly sticky and warm. A pleasant numbing bitterness assaults my tongue.

Addictive and delicious...this beer deserves some hype!

11-16-2010 03:16:49 | More by sitarist
MasterSki

4.22/5  rDev -3%

Growler thanks to TurdFurgison. Leaked a touch in transit, and was hissing when I threw it into the freezer for a quick cooldown. Served in my Stone pint glass.

A - Pours with a surprising large three fingers of soapy white foam that settles to a thick chunky cap and leaves sheets of lace. Transparent pale golden color.

S - Wow, this is one hoppy brew. Huge grapefruit, orange rind, pine, and some dank, with a sugar cookie and light toffee malt backbone. Reminds me a lot of O'Brien's IPA. Huge surprise for a Midwest IPA.

T - Taste is a little less intense, but filled with grapefruit and citrus zest. Not much malt character at all. Big bitter finish that lingers well into the aftertaste. No obvious alcohol.

M - Carbonation is a little low, but more present than the flat Hopfather growler I shipped myself a month ago with just the lightest tingle on the top of the lip. Body is medium-light and might be a touch undersized for 7%. Lightly dry finish, with some residual oily resins.

D - Goes down pretty fast, with the only thing getting in the way being the bruising bitterness. It's a shame no one is free to help me with this one. Where's d0b when you need him?

10-02-2010 02:20:20 | More by MasterSki
mikey711

3.93/5  rDev -9.7%

growler thanks to miketd in a recent trade.

A: Straw gold color with a ton of carbonation that provides a really nice white head about an inch an a half thick on top. Great clarity and lacing with lots of rising carbonation

S: Heavy pine note with some citrus and a fair bit of earthiness, but none of that gubna smell.

T: Very piney with bits of grapfruit and apricot. Definitely very earthy with the hops and a mild caramel note in the background

M: Nothing really too harsh, but also nothing hugely creamy. No heat but a little more body would be nice

D: A very tasty IPA growler indeed that i am happy to have tried, not as citrusy as i expected but still quite good.

06-29-2010 20:31:19 | More by mikey711
chcfan

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Growler into fluted imperial pint glass.

Stopped in the Cleveland Fat Heads over the weekend for beer and dinner. Headhunter has been far and away the most talked about Fat Heads beer, and with good reason. I had a glass at the bar, but the review is from the growler.

Headhunter strikes the perfect balance of aroma, hop flavor, and bitterness. It sports a wonderfully fruity and piney aroma. It goes down extremely smooth at 7%.

Talk about living up to the hype. Every time we visit Cleveland from here on out, I'm filling up this growler with Headhunter and coming home happy.

06-28-2010 23:06:24 | More by chcfan
cpetrone84

4.72/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fresh growler from Fathead's in Pittsburgh.

A-pours a hazy golden honey color with a pretty tight creamy white head.

S-notes of malt but very faint, lots of hops! light pine, grassy herbal hops, hints of tangerine and grapefruit in the back.

T-the taste is so hoppy and nice. virtually no malt, awesome hop presence. piney up front, notes of caramel and brown sugar maltiness makes its only appearance. grassy hops in the middle with grapefruit taking over in the back with a nice present bitterness.

M-this is extremely smooth on the palate, nice carbontion holds a lighter medium body, dry in the back with a hint of crispness.

D-this is a huge hop lovers IPA, which I am. very tasty, nice balance of flavors that work really well together. by far fathead's best offering!

06-07-2010 00:10:36 | More by cpetrone84
FLYINGSCOOTER

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

A great IPA!
I usually buy in single bottles from a local beverage store largely being afraid of buying sixes to not like what i bought.
I had to get Headhunter IPA in a Growler (my first) and was offered a sample before i bought it. Being bold, I said no to the sample and bought the 64oz growler to be surprised.
I figured that this breweries brewmiester worked for Great Lakes for a bit, so it had to be good.
Good?!?!?! This was great and I highly recomend it.

07-18-2009 13:07:39 | More by FLYINGSCOOTER
GreesyFizeek

4.29/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle purchased at Pace High Carry-Out in Columbus, OH.

Pours a clear golden dark orange, with a 3/4 inch head and globs of lacing down the glass.

Bright and vibrant citrus aroma, quite dank. Slight herbal smells too.

The overarching citrus character carries over into the taste as well. Definitely some orange, pineapple, and grapefruit. The only malt character I can pick out is honey sweetness, whit ich complements the juicy hop flavor well. Not very bitter, doesn't linger on the palate very long.

Starts a bit sweet, but finishes dry and slightly crackery. Medium body, crisp mouthfeel and low carbonation.

A great IPA, been looking to try this one for a while now.

04-16-2014 02:00:51 | More by GreesyFizeek