Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

1st batches were 7.0% ABV
Reviews: 522 | Hads: 3,764
4.33/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Small white head on a hazy, copper body. The foam settles moderately and leaves nice lace. A very nice citrus and dank pine aroma. Sweet malt in the flavor with a bit of pine and sweaty hops. Medium thick body, average carbonation, and a balanced finish. Very nice, the aroma really shines with a great combination of citrus and tropical fruit.

3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

Thanks for sharing this one, Bobby.

A: The beer pours a clear golden-orange color with a nice big white head and some moderate lacing.

S: Smells really quite nice. Plenty of pine that is very resinous along with a big grapefruit aroma and plenty of citrus in general. There's a touch of grassy hop smell and not really much malt at all.

T: Unfortunately, the flavor falls off a little bit. Certainly a lot of pine and grapefruit, as well as a solid bitterness. There's more malt presence on the palate and just a bit of a step backward in terms of the hop intensity.

M: The body is medium with a lively carbonation and a nice dry and slightly bitter finish.

D: I really want to give this beer a better score, but the flavor just let me down after what was a very nice nose.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to Rudzud for sharing.

Slight hazy pale orange color, very little fizzy head.

Nose lots of typical fruit, grapefruit, musty resinous passion fruit, hint of booze and light sweetness malt. Citrus and tangerine.

Taste light musty resin and tropical fruit, passion fruit, grapefruit, bit of pineapple, light tangerine and citrus. Light malty sweetness and juicy flavor. Finish is fairly bitter with light tropical fruit and resinous tropical fruit.

Mouth is med bodied and decent carb.

Overall quite nice. Great hop additions with just enough malt balance and sweetness.

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap @ Fathead's (Pittsburgh, PA) on 7/18/09. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear copper, which is topped with a finger of foamy off-white head. Rich and creamy looking retention, that leaves back lace that hangs in thick swathes down the sides of the glass. The aroma is pretty much West Coast smelling. Floral and a bit piney hop character, with some big-time spice and a thick tang of tropical fruits. Some even more sweeter notes of caramel and bread come out under the citrus, and I'm also pleased to not be picking up any warmth at all. I'm really digging the mix of flavors here, but I wish that they were popping just a bit more.

The taste starts with a big hop bite up front of very aggressive spicy bitterness, with a sticky resinous edge to it. That sweet mix of citrus and caramel from the nose is present, but it's not nearly balancing enough here in the taste, leaving this way too uneven and bitter up front. The hops are just lingering way too long in this, keeping this IPA from being completely enjoyable. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a mellow creaminess to the carbonation up front but then prickles up towards the back. This sharpness in the back is actually right where the most unpleasant aspects of the bitterness is lingering, but I'm not going to hold that against the feel. The one saving grace of the unbalanced nature of this, is that I'm not picking up any alcohol beef whatsoever. Pretty darn impressive for a 7% beer with raging hops in it.

Tis a shame, as I really liked this everywhere but the taste. I know that the board described this as "aggressive" and uncivilized" but it was just way too uneven towards the hops for my taste. If you don't mind out-of-control bitterness, then by all means go for it, as the aroma is quite nice and the body and drinkibility are right on for a higher ABV IPA.

3.71/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ah, here we are. A want for awhile now. I received this today from a trade with michaellcoates - thanks, buddy! 7.5% ABV confirmed. "American-Style India Pale Ale." 87 IBU. Expectations are through the roof; this is my first beer from Fat Head's and its on the list of top beers. Really looking forward to it. Don't see a bottle date/julian code. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with cool fun label and orange branded pry-off cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours almost entirely head, seven fingers wide at the least. Head is a healthy beige colour. Gorgeous soft complexion. Nice creaminess. Good frothiness and thickness. Retention is excellent, about 8-10 minutes. Lacing is light and even yet inconsistent as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour is a pretty vibrant somewhat pale copper. Translucent and transparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's an attractive appearance for the style, but I wouldn't call it unique or special. The head is impressive. I'm looking forward to trying it. Quite inviting.

Sm: Piney. Resinous. Floral hops, with a twinge of grapefruit zest on the back end. Nectary and citrusy, even a bit juicy. I don't get the pineapple mentioned on the label - which is good, I hate pineapple in IPAs (and beer in general, actually). I guess you could call it dank. Fairly pungent, but not overbearing. A biteen soapy; maybe just a bit too long in primary. Pale malts. Hop oils. Grassy character. Light buttery character. Maybe a bit of caramalt. Soft and approachable. Most importantly, it's balanced. No naked hop bitterness is obvious. A good aroma overall, but maybe not as clean as I'd like. And a bit too dry; I'd like it more overtly juicy and refreshing. Moderately strong.

T: A bit more tropical than I'd like; I do get some light pineapple and mango. Hop profile is diverse: floral hops, oily hops, nectary hops, light citrusy hops (in the form of a timid grapefruit twang), and piney hops. Somewhat dank, but also not as clean as I'd like. Herbal cannabis-like hops are prominent, perhaps even dominant. Well balanced, with no overt hop bitterness. Lots happening here; good complexity and flavour integration. It comes off cohesive. Pleasant to drink, with no alcohol coming through. Resiny. I don't get any yeasty notes from it. Body is comprised of pale malts and a bit of light caramalt. Some subtlety here. Lightly bready. Maybe even light fleeting candied notes on the climax.

Overall, it's a different type of IPA than I'm used to; much more herbal and cannabis-like than any IPA I've ever had. I quite fancy it, and the more I get accustomed to it the more I like it. Tasty stuff. Good depth of flavour. Good flavour duration.

Mf: First thing that hit me when I sipped it was how soft it is. Very pleasant and soothing to drink. Smooth as hell. Not as clean as it needs to be, and not crisp at all. A bit scratchy, like the feeling cannabis generates in one's throat. Somewhat dry in the second act, but it gets wet on the finish. Oily. Good thickness. Somewhat refreshing. Not as juicy as I'd like. Overall, it suits the flavour profile quite well and facilitates each note nicely. Feels custom-tailored to the flavour profile, yet it shares the herbal cannabis-like scratchy quality that's really holding this beer back. Undercarbonated.

Dr: Drinkable and it hides its ABV well, but that scratchy somewhat rough texture along with the cannabis-esque flavours does limit drinkability; I doubt I'd want to kill a 6 pack of this in a night. It's pleasant and enjoyable and I really respect its approach to the style. Feels innovative, not imitative or mimetic. I'd love to try this on-draught. But it does make me want to cough a bit; it tickles the back of the throat with those pesky herbal notes. I can see why it has its high ranking, and while I don't know that's it's world class, it's definitely amongst the most unique IPAs I've had. I'd happily have it again and I'd recommend it to friends, but I doubt I'd trade for it again. A solid staple from Ohio and one that would be a mainstay in my fridge if I lived out there.

High B

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks so much to Stakem for bringing me one back from the 'Burgh for tenderbranson69 and me to try-enjoyed chilled from the shortneck brown bottle.

The color is deep golden with resplendent clarity and thick off white head with ultra fine bead. The smell is a mix of grapefruit, lemon zest and light tangelo with some herbal natural hop aromas, the dry hopping has done it's job, smell the magic. The feel is very good with lots carbonation allowing the hop resins to seem light on the tongue with a gentle bitterness at first which builds toward the middle until a semi-dry finish with practically no alcohol in the feel.

The taste is great ! I love the fresh squeezed citrus juice flavors from the hops with a blend of grapefruit and valencia orange-tangy juicy taste that spreads out and reveals some vegetative flavor from the more than ample dry hopping with a light spice and very gentle malt sweetness. Overall this deserves the accolades as it is a well crafted American IPA, better than some of my previous favorites -I recommend picking some up if you possibly can!

4.21/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

First had: ?
This review is for a recent tasting on tap at Pinocchio's.

Clear amber pour with a full finger of frothy white head that retained well and laced the glass nicely. Nice aroma of fresh hops, pine and grapefruit, distant pale malt base. Crisp and juicy. The taste reflected the aroma, with a nice blast of fresh hops, oily citrus, resinous pine, light biscuity pale malts somewhere off in the distance, bringing in a sense of balance, but ensuring that the hop profile is still the dominant factor. Perhaps nothing you wouldn't expect, but nevertheless, this is pretty much exemplary of the style. Medium body, crisp mouthfeel, super drinkable.

4.59/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours an effervescent gold with 3 fingers of cream colored head. Good lacing & great head retention

S: Grapefruit, pine, some breadyness & floral notes

T: Grapefruit, breadyness, a little pineyness & dryness up front. Grapefruit pith, breadyness & a little mango as this warms. Grapefruit, dryness & a little bit of woody hops in the finish

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation; great balance

Drinks easy, great, IPA

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%

Well, might as well take advantage of the chance to try this on-tap. I think the nose on this might actually be more interesting than the bottled version. Very salty flavor profile though. A bit too much in that it masks a lot of the other citric and piney characteristics that are trying to show. Still a very nice IPA. Loud and brash, but still bringing enough to keep it respectable.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, no bottle dating. Pours hazy golden orange color with a nice 2 finger dense off white head with awesome retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some thick soapy lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of huge grapefruit, orange zest, pine, pineapple, floral, mango, grass, and herbal spiciness. Fantastic aromas with great balance and hop complexity. Taste of huge grapefruit, orange zest, pineapple, pine, floral, caramel, grass, and herbal spiciness. Nice amount of piney bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, pine, pineapple, floral, caramel, and herbal on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic balance and complexity of hop flavors; with just enough malt balance to not make the bitterness overpowering. Almost no cloying bitterness on the finish. Medium carbontion and body; with a lightly creamy and very crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with only a small warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is an amazing IPA as expected. Awesome hop complexity and balance; very crisp and smooth to sip on. Outstanding.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a brilliant copper glowing slightly orange and red when held toward the light with a bright white head building up big and large. I love this beer, Fathead's has done it again and released when of my all time favorite IPAs. Aroma has big floral, citrus, and fruit filled hop bursts going on...this beer is great. I'm not sure which hops they use, but it has the most tropical fruit smells I've ever tasted straight up mango/pineapple. The most sought after West Coast style IPA brewed outside of Cleveland. This brand new case I picked says brewed in small batches to ensure quality I believe it. This an 87 IBU hop monster that gives out hop flavor with malt sweetness all day, it's balanced yet aggressive and uncivilized according to the label. Hop candy all day, a beer that flows with each sip anybody into hops needs to try this beer, I get layers of grapefruit and bright hop flavors that are literally rocking my world. Mouthfeel is resinous but not heavy, light to medium bodied ample flowing carbonation excellent drinkable IPA for those of us in the know. I know this beer is amazing I've been drinking it on draft at Fathead's since it came out.

Update: bottled on 5/14/13 @ 10:34 am drank on 5/18/13@ 4:23 pm I love fresh IPA and I love the Head Hunter!!!

Hops are screaming in this sample, beautiful cohesive force of big hops and malts I can't believe this is available this fresh in my area bought at Valley Wine Cellar in Steubenville, Ohio. It made it down here from the production brewery in 3 days I bought it on 5/17/13...that's effective distribution. Good job to the Premium beverage folks I can't believe it. Pairing an Erik Espinosa Habano from the La Zona Factory in Esteli, Nicaragua beautiful Habano wrapper spicy Nica tobacco, fills the nares with black pepper, the palate with leather and spice beautiful cigar to pair with a badass West coast style IPA. If you never had the pleasure of drinking this on tap please find it fresh in bottles amazing experience, every hophead around this area should have I'm about to pick up the rest of the bottles.

From 03/05/11 notes. Growled shared by Thorpe429; thanks Mike.

a - Pours a murky orange color with one inch of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, oranges, fruity malts, and some light pine hops. Oranges jump out the most and it's pretty nice.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, oranges, bitter pine hops, and fruity malts. Some slight bitterness up front.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty nice IPA. Lots of oranges in the smell and taste. Would have again.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fat Head's Had Hunter India Pale Ale, 7.5% ABV, 87 IBU. Brewed and bottled by Fat Head's Brewery, Middleburg Heights, Ohio.

Clear, golden-amber color, almost tangerine, with an enormous, thick and sturdy, creamy white head. Looking great.

Aroma: leaps on on first pour and slips into the nose. All our favorites are inside, we get the citrus and the pine, there's the bitter grapefruit, some pineapple, maybe a whiff of mango. Pleases the olfactory organ in all the best and most appropriate ways. Smelling great.

Taste: Bam! A fierce assault on the palate, delivering massive bitterness, a hefty spank on the tongue. A powerhouse blow, staying long and laying in hard. Full-bodied, immense presence on the palate, long finish.

I can go through every superlative in the thesaurus, and just keep going. This one really has it all, and it ends on a moderately mellow mood, with that high bitterness and incredible flavor level never really tapering off. There's a strain of astringent, aspirin-y character that hangs in at the back. But some of us love that and this is for us, clearly.

Unrestrained, unabashed, unhinged. But damned delicious. Incredible IPA, deserving of all kinds of praise.

"Uncivilized & Aggressive. No other ingredient stirs the passion of a master brewer like the hop. Inspired by this legendary flower we challenged ourselves to create a world class IPA. Head Hunter is an aggressively dry-hopped uncivilized, West Coast-style IPA with a huge hop display of pine, grapefruit, citrus and pineapple. A punch-you-in-the-mouth brew for those who truly love their hop! Love the lupulin. Dig the dank. Respect the resin. Do not age, Hoppy beers are best consumed fresh."

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to Eric aka spoolinvw for giving me a fresh bottle of Head Hunter. I have always had terrible luck trying to find fresh bottles of this one, glad to finally try the real deal.

A - Pours clear golden orange with a nice one finger tall white head leaving light lace down parts of the glass.

S - Smells of pungent citric hops, grass, tropical fruits - mostly grapefruit and oranges - pine resin and only the faintest hint of caramel sweetness. This one has once intense nose to it.

T - Starts off with a ton of bright citric hop bitterness mixed with some juicy grapefruit tartness slowly giving way to hints of pine resin, grass and some mild caramel sweetness. Finish is fairly bitter, lingering on the palate for quite awhile after the finish.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Smooth, oily feel with a ton of bitterness from start to finish.

O - This is one awesome IPA. I could drink a few of these no problem. When fresh this is definitely one of the better IPA's on the market today.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Growler thanks to TurdFurgison. Leaked a touch in transit, and was hissing when I threw it into the freezer for a quick cooldown. Served in my Stone pint glass.

A - Pours with a surprising large three fingers of soapy white foam that settles to a thick chunky cap and leaves sheets of lace. Transparent pale golden color.

S - Wow, this is one hoppy brew. Huge grapefruit, orange rind, pine, and some dank, with a sugar cookie and light toffee malt backbone. Reminds me a lot of O'Brien's IPA. Huge surprise for a Midwest IPA.

T - Taste is a little less intense, but filled with grapefruit and citrus zest. Not much malt character at all. Big bitter finish that lingers well into the aftertaste. No obvious alcohol.

M - Carbonation is a little low, but more present than the flat Hopfather growler I shipped myself a month ago with just the lightest tingle on the top of the lip. Body is medium-light and might be a touch undersized for 7%. Lightly dry finish, with some residual oily resins.

D - Goes down pretty fast, with the only thing getting in the way being the bruising bitterness. It's a shame no one is free to help me with this one. Where's d0b when you need him?

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served in a bottle at Lola Bistro in Cleveland, OH

A: Pours a very slightly hazy golden orange in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some bright orange and yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall dense foamy off-white head that slowly reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Strong aromas of citrus/grapefruit hops with some much lighter notes of pine/resin hops and tropical/pineapple hops. There is a very light hint of caramel malts as well.

T: Upfront there is a light amount of caramel malts with some light to moderate amounts of sweetness which is quickly overtaken by the strong hop presence - citrus/grapefruit dominates with some much lighter notes of tropical/pineapple and just a touch of pine. Moderate to heavy amounts of bitterness which linger for quite a while.

M: Medium bodied with slightly more than moderate amounts of carbonation. Moderate amounts of dryness in the finish.

O: This is a very enjoyable American IPA (possibly just on the edge of being a DIPA in my opinion) with very pleasant and strong grapefruit/citrus hops, which is a hop aroma/flavor profile that I like. I found the alcohol to be well hidden and this to be a pretty easy beer to drink.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to the Thorpes for picking this growler up, I really appreciate it.

Beer is orange and mostly clear with a nice white head, thick, contiguous, lacing is a plus and carbonation is moderate, looks awesome.

Hops that win out are citrus / fruit in variety, nice volume on the aroma, very inviting.

Wow, super drinkable, a very nice AIPA for sure, medium bodied, chewy hops, lots of esters in the midpalate, great hop flavor, great hop bitterness to finish, not too dry on the back palate, overall a wonderful beer.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Had on tap at Fat Heads. Review from notes.

A: The beer is clear copper with a small white head on top, about an inch in height with decent retention and thin lacing down the sides.

S: Lots of pine mixed with citrus fruit on the aroma, some grapefruit and orange zest with a faint caramel. malt undertone.

T: Very piney on the flavor profile, but it isn't really coupled with the amount of bitterness I was expecting, certainly helping with the drinkability. Some tropical fruit is mixed in, mostly grapefruit and orange.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly bitter finish, but rather light for a big IPA like this.

O: Very good, deserving of praise for sure.

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

Color is a golden amber. A lot of tropical fruits here, but also dank and weedy. Mango and pineapple. Very juicy. A solid dipa that I wasn't expecting to be so good.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap at the Pittsburgh location and took a couple bottles home for the formal review. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. The brew appears a clear golden orange with a white cap a finger strong that fades to a thin film leaving a full wall of sticky lace. When held to the light, some yellow is seen around the edges.

The aroma is quite fresh and hoppy with tropical and rindy zest aspects like grapefruit. Some herbal component is minorly grassy as well to break things up. Seemingly no indication of malt or alcohol, this one is all about the hops in the nose.

The flavor is bitter with grapefruit rind and zest. Some grassy and herbal component blends into a lingering taste that is zesty and like pulp. A very dry bready grain flavor persists into the aftertaste as it warms up.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is clean, crisp and easy drinking. A very solid IPA that I would drink regularly if given the chance. I paired this up with some sharp cheese and could not stop devouring both. I need more of this.

4.29/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - bright orange with a big, soft, dense cap of off white head that has good retention and leaves great lacing on the glass

S - huge grapefruit aroma, faint cake batter, faint alcohol

T - big pine and grapefruit, lightly sweet malt, bitter finish

M - medium bodied, well carbonated, slightly dry finish

This is a really plush, citrusy, bitter IPA that is easy to drink and very refreshing. I really wish this was an IPA that I could get my hands on on a regular basis.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

Growler shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The beer appears transparent and orange in color with a finger of white head that leaves some decent lacing on the glass.

The aroma has a pleasant citrus scent, along with some floral and tropical fruit notes.

Very tasty stuff. Really easy to drink, Fresh hop presence throughout, with various flavors melding together nicely. The beer finishes with a tangy bitterness and lingers on the palate. Alcohol presence is muted, but this beer will sneak up on you if you're not careful. I would happily drink this again.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tasting glass. It poured clear and amber orange in color with a pillowy white head filling one inch of the glass.

The aroma is very juicy with pineapple, peach and mango all coming out. It has a little bitter grapefruit and citrus rind presence to it as well. Very nice bright and hoppy aroma to it.

Taste shows more of the pineapple and tropical fruits at first but the finish shows a little More dry, resiny, grapefruit bitterness. I love the tropical fruit notes to it.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. I thought it was a great beer overall. It was a very flavorful and easy drinking beer of the style with some excellent bright, fruity, fresh hoppy flavors to it.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from the bottle into a Spiegelau Dogfish Head IPA glass. Bottled Feb 17th 2014.

A real nice deep bronze and orange body, nearly crystal clear with lots of good thin rising carbonation. Head only makes about two fingers tall though, with a tiny soapy even bubbled appearance. Tan head in color, and settles slowly with even layers of retention and clumpy qualities.

Real nice aroma. Very noticeable dank earth, faint citrus orange a bit, and some pickle like salty brine also. Quite woody and aromatic and campfire like smoke hop aromas to match. This is a neat bouquet on this brew.

A real nice straightforward palate. A solid but simple mouthfeel that isn't too wet, but coats with a thin oil sheen. Hop forward in the palate, but also quite fleeting on the fruit and earth suggested aromas before. Good front of mild pine but it's interesting how the flavor of this beer is all in the front, and has virtually no aftertaste. Light bodied it seems and real impressive on masking the abv, almost tastes like a "sessionable IPA".

Overall it's really well made, but it is not quite making it up there with the big boys just yet. However, it is a great beer and one easily worth having again.

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed on tap and in bottles several times during a week long trip to the Pittsburgh area.

Bold, flavorful and super tasty IPA. Blasting with hoppy goodness. World class and so worth seeking out. In a world of hundreds of quality IPAs, this one is able to stand out and be considered one of the best ...go get some - wish I had brought more home with me

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon