Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPAFat Head's Head Hunter IPA

Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon visit their website
Ohio, United States

1st batches were 7.0% ABV

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 06-19-2009)
nickfl

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%

Small white head on a hazy, copper body. The foam settles moderately and leaves nice lace. A very nice citrus and dank pine aroma. Sweet malt in the flavor with a bit of pine and sweaty hops. Medium thick body, average carbonation, and a balanced finish. Very nice, the aroma really shines with a great combination of citrus and tropical fruit.

08-01-2013 00:06:15 | More by nickfl
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a brilliant copper glowing slightly orange and red when held toward the light with a bright white head building up big and large. I love this beer, Fathead's has done it again and released when of my all time favorite IPAs. Aroma has big floral, citrus, and fruit filled hop bursts going on...this beer is great. I'm not sure which hops they use, but it has the most tropical fruit smells I've ever tasted straight up mango/pineapple. The most sought after West Coast style IPA brewed outside of Cleveland. This brand new case I picked says brewed in small batches to ensure quality I believe it. This an 87 IBU hop monster that gives out hop flavor with malt sweetness all day, it's balanced yet aggressive and uncivilized according to the label. Hop candy all day, a beer that flows with each sip anybody into hops needs to try this beer, I get layers of grapefruit and bright hop flavors that are literally rocking my world. Mouthfeel is resinous but not heavy, light to medium bodied ample flowing carbonation excellent drinkable IPA for those of us in the know. I know this beer is amazing I've been drinking it on draft at Fathead's since it came out.

Update: bottled on 5/14/13 @ 10:34 am drank on 5/18/13@ 4:23 pm I love fresh IPA and I love the Head Hunter!!!

Hops are screaming in this sample, beautiful cohesive force of big hops and malts I can't believe this is available this fresh in my area bought at Valley Wine Cellar in Steubenville, Ohio. It made it down here from the production brewery in 3 days I bought it on 5/17/13...that's effective distribution. Good job to the Premium beverage folks I can't believe it. Pairing an Erik Espinosa Habano from the La Zona Factory in Esteli, Nicaragua beautiful Habano wrapper spicy Nica tobacco, fills the nares with black pepper, the palate with leather and spice beautiful cigar to pair with a badass West coast style IPA. If you never had the pleasure of drinking this on tap please find it fresh in bottles amazing experience, every hophead around this area should have I'm about to pick up the rest of the bottles.

06-29-2012 11:19:32 | More by WVbeergeek
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours an effervescent gold with 3 fingers of cream colored head. Good lacing & great head retention

S: Grapefruit, pine, some breadyness & floral notes

T: Grapefruit, breadyness, a little pineyness & dryness up front. Grapefruit pith, breadyness & a little mango as this warms. Grapefruit, dryness & a little bit of woody hops in the finish

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation; great balance

Drinks easy, great, IPA

07-16-2014 03:02:05 | More by russpowell
Kegatron

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%

On tap @ Fathead's (Pittsburgh, PA) on 7/18/09. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear copper, which is topped with a finger of foamy off-white head. Rich and creamy looking retention, that leaves back lace that hangs in thick swathes down the sides of the glass. The aroma is pretty much West Coast smelling. Floral and a bit piney hop character, with some big-time spice and a thick tang of tropical fruits. Some even more sweeter notes of caramel and bread come out under the citrus, and I'm also pleased to not be picking up any warmth at all. I'm really digging the mix of flavors here, but I wish that they were popping just a bit more.

The taste starts with a big hop bite up front of very aggressive spicy bitterness, with a sticky resinous edge to it. That sweet mix of citrus and caramel from the nose is present, but it's not nearly balancing enough here in the taste, leaving this way too uneven and bitter up front. The hops are just lingering way too long in this, keeping this IPA from being completely enjoyable. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a mellow creaminess to the carbonation up front but then prickles up towards the back. This sharpness in the back is actually right where the most unpleasant aspects of the bitterness is lingering, but I'm not going to hold that against the feel. The one saving grace of the unbalanced nature of this, is that I'm not picking up any alcohol beef whatsoever. Pretty darn impressive for a 7% beer with raging hops in it.

Tis a shame, as I really liked this everywhere but the taste. I know that the board described this as "aggressive" and uncivilized" but it was just way too uneven towards the hops for my taste. If you don't mind out-of-control bitterness, then by all means go for it, as the aroma is quite nice and the body and drinkibility are right on for a higher ABV IPA.

07-20-2009 16:51:32 | More by Kegatron
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Growler thanks to TurdFurgison. Leaked a touch in transit, and was hissing when I threw it into the freezer for a quick cooldown. Served in my Stone pint glass.

A - Pours with a surprising large three fingers of soapy white foam that settles to a thick chunky cap and leaves sheets of lace. Transparent pale golden color.

S - Wow, this is one hoppy brew. Huge grapefruit, orange rind, pine, and some dank, with a sugar cookie and light toffee malt backbone. Reminds me a lot of O'Brien's IPA. Huge surprise for a Midwest IPA.

T - Taste is a little less intense, but filled with grapefruit and citrus zest. Not much malt character at all. Big bitter finish that lingers well into the aftertaste. No obvious alcohol.

M - Carbonation is a little low, but more present than the flat Hopfather growler I shipped myself a month ago with just the lightest tingle on the top of the lip. Body is medium-light and might be a touch undersized for 7%. Lightly dry finish, with some residual oily resins.

D - Goes down pretty fast, with the only thing getting in the way being the bruising bitterness. It's a shame no one is free to help me with this one. Where's d0b when you need him?

10-02-2010 02:20:20 | More by MasterSki
feloniousmonk

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Fat Head's Had Hunter India Pale Ale, 7.5% ABV, 87 IBU. Brewed and bottled by Fat Head's Brewery, Middleburg Heights, Ohio.

Clear, golden-amber color, almost tangerine, with an enormous, thick and sturdy, creamy white head. Looking great.

Aroma: leaps on on first pour and slips into the nose. All our favorites are inside, we get the citrus and the pine, there's the bitter grapefruit, some pineapple, maybe a whiff of mango. Pleases the olfactory organ in all the best and most appropriate ways. Smelling great.

Taste: Bam! A fierce assault on the palate, delivering massive bitterness, a hefty spank on the tongue. A powerhouse blow, staying long and laying in hard. Full-bodied, immense presence on the palate, long finish.

I can go through every superlative in the thesaurus, and just keep going. This one really has it all, and it ends on a moderately mellow mood, with that high bitterness and incredible flavor level never really tapering off. There's a strain of astringent, aspirin-y character that hangs in at the back. But some of us love that and this is for us, clearly.

Unrestrained, unabashed, unhinged. But damned delicious. Incredible IPA, deserving of all kinds of praise.

"Uncivilized & Aggressive. No other ingredient stirs the passion of a master brewer like the hop. Inspired by this legendary flower we challenged ourselves to create a world class IPA. Head Hunter is an aggressively dry-hopped uncivilized, West Coast-style IPA with a huge hop display of pine, grapefruit, citrus and pineapple. A punch-you-in-the-mouth brew for those who truly love their hop! Love the lupulin. Dig the dank. Respect the resin. Do not age, Hoppy beers are best consumed fresh."

10-02-2012 07:15:49 | More by feloniousmonk
drabmuh

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

Big thanks to the Thorpes for picking this growler up, I really appreciate it.

Beer is orange and mostly clear with a nice white head, thick, contiguous, lacing is a plus and carbonation is moderate, looks awesome.

Hops that win out are citrus / fruit in variety, nice volume on the aroma, very inviting.

Wow, super drinkable, a very nice AIPA for sure, medium bodied, chewy hops, lots of esters in the midpalate, great hop flavor, great hop bitterness to finish, not too dry on the back palate, overall a wonderful beer.

03-21-2011 23:40:34 | More by drabmuh
Slatetank

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks so much to Stakem for bringing me one back from the 'Burgh for tenderbranson69 and me to try-enjoyed chilled from the shortneck brown bottle.

The color is deep golden with resplendent clarity and thick off white head with ultra fine bead. The smell is a mix of grapefruit, lemon zest and light tangelo with some herbal natural hop aromas, the dry hopping has done it's job, smell the magic. The feel is very good with lots carbonation allowing the hop resins to seem light on the tongue with a gentle bitterness at first which builds toward the middle until a semi-dry finish with practically no alcohol in the feel.

The taste is great ! I love the fresh squeezed citrus juice flavors from the hops with a blend of grapefruit and valencia orange-tangy juicy taste that spreads out and reveals some vegetative flavor from the more than ample dry hopping with a light spice and very gentle malt sweetness. Overall this deserves the accolades as it is a well crafted American IPA, better than some of my previous favorites -I recommend picking some up if you possibly can!

09-28-2013 02:16:42 | More by Slatetank
jlindros

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Thanks to Rudzud for sharing.

Slight hazy pale orange color, very little fizzy head.

Nose lots of typical fruit, grapefruit, musty resinous passion fruit, hint of booze and light sweetness malt. Citrus and tangerine.

Taste light musty resin and tropical fruit, passion fruit, grapefruit, bit of pineapple, light tangerine and citrus. Light malty sweetness and juicy flavor. Finish is fairly bitter with light tropical fruit and resinous tropical fruit.

Mouth is med bodied and decent carb.

Overall quite nice. Great hop additions with just enough malt balance and sweetness.

07-19-2012 12:43:18 | More by jlindros
StonedTrippin

Colorado

a very very good ipa. clear and quite pale in color, a little darker than golden, call it bronze, with an inch or so of white suds. the nose is very fruity hops, citra maybe, pineapple and lemon attack the nostrils. flavor is more grapefruit than lemon, with equal parts tropical fruit. the hops taste just picked to me, full of resins and oils that i just love in an ipa. alcohol is strong, and can be tasted a bit in the finish, my only real critique of an otherwise near flawless brew. nice lighter medium body keeps it sessionable, and the carbonation is very bright, aiding in a clean crisp finish that gets more and more bitter as the beer warms up. perfect with a chilli chese burger stacked hugh with frito chips. god i want another. one of the more fruity and citrusy india pales in recent memory. this should make its way out to colorado, id be a regular on it.

12-31-2012 23:46:37 | More by StonedTrippin
Rifugium

4.21/5  rDev -2.8%

First had: ?
This review is for a recent tasting on tap at Pinocchio's.

Clear amber pour with a full finger of frothy white head that retained well and laced the glass nicely. Nice aroma of fresh hops, pine and grapefruit, distant pale malt base. Crisp and juicy. The taste reflected the aroma, with a nice blast of fresh hops, oily citrus, resinous pine, light biscuity pale malts somewhere off in the distance, bringing in a sense of balance, but ensuring that the hop profile is still the dominant factor. Perhaps nothing you wouldn't expect, but nevertheless, this is pretty much exemplary of the style. Medium body, crisp mouthfeel, super drinkable.

03-24-2013 21:33:14 | More by Rifugium
oline73

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a growler into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with a two finger fluffy white head. The head fades to a layer on top of the pour that sticks around while you sip.

Smell: Sweet with tons of citrus peel notes. Juicy fruit notes with some grain, but I'm really excited by the hop notes that I'm picking up.

Taste: I would put this up against many of the top west coast IPAs. Citrus peel hops dominate with just a hint of pine and enough sweetness to balance things out. The finish is bitter and hoppy. Really nice.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with constantly tingly carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: Fantastic IPA. The hop profile is spot on. I will definitely have another given the chance.

04-02-2012 02:38:36 | More by oline73
mdfb79

From 03/05/11 notes. Growled shared by Thorpe429; thanks Mike.

a - Pours a murky orange color with one inch of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, oranges, fruity malts, and some light pine hops. Oranges jump out the most and it's pretty nice.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, oranges, bitter pine hops, and fruity malts. Some slight bitterness up front.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty nice IPA. Lots of oranges in the smell and taste. Would have again.

03-08-2011 16:19:25 | More by mdfb79

beernads

08-21-2013 00:15:05 | More by beernads
kojevergas

3.71/5  rDev -14.3%

Ah, here we are. A want for awhile now. I received this today from a trade with michaellcoates - thanks, buddy! 7.5% ABV confirmed. "American-Style India Pale Ale." 87 IBU. Expectations are through the roof; this is my first beer from Fat Head's and its on the list of top beers. Really looking forward to it. Don't see a bottle date/julian code. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with cool fun label and orange branded pry-off cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours almost entirely head, seven fingers wide at the least. Head is a healthy beige colour. Gorgeous soft complexion. Nice creaminess. Good frothiness and thickness. Retention is excellent, about 8-10 minutes. Lacing is light and even yet inconsistent as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour is a pretty vibrant somewhat pale copper. Translucent and transparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's an attractive appearance for the style, but I wouldn't call it unique or special. The head is impressive. I'm looking forward to trying it. Quite inviting.

Sm: Piney. Resinous. Floral hops, with a twinge of grapefruit zest on the back end. Nectary and citrusy, even a bit juicy. I don't get the pineapple mentioned on the label - which is good, I hate pineapple in IPAs (and beer in general, actually). I guess you could call it dank. Fairly pungent, but not overbearing. A biteen soapy; maybe just a bit too long in primary. Pale malts. Hop oils. Grassy character. Light buttery character. Maybe a bit of caramalt. Soft and approachable. Most importantly, it's balanced. No naked hop bitterness is obvious. A good aroma overall, but maybe not as clean as I'd like. And a bit too dry; I'd like it more overtly juicy and refreshing. Moderately strong.

T: A bit more tropical than I'd like; I do get some light pineapple and mango. Hop profile is diverse: floral hops, oily hops, nectary hops, light citrusy hops (in the form of a timid grapefruit twang), and piney hops. Somewhat dank, but also not as clean as I'd like. Herbal cannabis-like hops are prominent, perhaps even dominant. Well balanced, with no overt hop bitterness. Lots happening here; good complexity and flavour integration. It comes off cohesive. Pleasant to drink, with no alcohol coming through. Resiny. I don't get any yeasty notes from it. Body is comprised of pale malts and a bit of light caramalt. Some subtlety here. Lightly bready. Maybe even light fleeting candied notes on the climax.

Overall, it's a different type of IPA than I'm used to; much more herbal and cannabis-like than any IPA I've ever had. I quite fancy it, and the more I get accustomed to it the more I like it. Tasty stuff. Good depth of flavour. Good flavour duration.

Mf: First thing that hit me when I sipped it was how soft it is. Very pleasant and soothing to drink. Smooth as hell. Not as clean as it needs to be, and not crisp at all. A bit scratchy, like the feeling cannabis generates in one's throat. Somewhat dry in the second act, but it gets wet on the finish. Oily. Good thickness. Somewhat refreshing. Not as juicy as I'd like. Overall, it suits the flavour profile quite well and facilitates each note nicely. Feels custom-tailored to the flavour profile, yet it shares the herbal cannabis-like scratchy quality that's really holding this beer back. Undercarbonated.

Dr: Drinkable and it hides its ABV well, but that scratchy somewhat rough texture along with the cannabis-esque flavours does limit drinkability; I doubt I'd want to kill a 6 pack of this in a night. It's pleasant and enjoyable and I really respect its approach to the style. Feels innovative, not imitative or mimetic. I'd love to try this on-draught. But it does make me want to cough a bit; it tickles the back of the throat with those pesky herbal notes. I can see why it has its high ranking, and while I don't know that's it's world class, it's definitely amongst the most unique IPAs I've had. I'd happily have it again and I'd recommend it to friends, but I doubt I'd trade for it again. A solid staple from Ohio and one that would be a mainstay in my fridge if I lived out there.

High B

06-22-2013 03:37:04 | More by kojevergas
GClarkage

07-03-2014 04:24:40 | More by GClarkage
oriolesfan4

01-07-2013 13:25:34 | More by oriolesfan4
corby112

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to sideshowe for hooking me up with these bottles.

Pours a slightly hazy, bright golden orange color with lighter golden yellow edges and a half finger, white foam head that quickly settles into a thin, lasting ring.  Streaks of spotty lacing left behind.

Dank floral hop aroma with a boat load of citrus and tropical fruit notes followed by pale biscuit malt.  Earthy with some grass and pine needle followed by grapefruit, pineapple, mango and blood orange.  The nose has a nice balance of resinous oils, earthy grass, citrus fruit and pale malt.

Fuller bodied than expected with stronger hop bitterness than the aroma suggests.  There's a blast of dank, earthy hop resins up front with sticky grass, pine needle and spruce tip flavors.  Nice amount of dry bitterness that lingers over the sweeter notes and pale malt into a bone dry finish.  Floral and perfume like at first followed by tropical and citrus fruit sweetness.  This isn't as strong as in the nose but nicely balances things out with some pineapple, grapefruit and orange zest.  Pale malt backbone adds balance without hindering the hop flavor.  Some bread and a decent amount of biscuit-like flavor.  Clean, crisp and pretty easy to drink but the bitterness could be balanced a little more by the sweeter fruit notes.  Still, this is a very good beer that I could session for long periods of time.

11-13-2013 01:38:33 | More by corby112