Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 06-19-2009

1st batches were 7.0% ABV
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,301 | Reviews: 478

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is my go to IPA. Living in Pittsburgh this is readily available all the time. This is an aggressive IPA, not an IPA starter. A nice grapefruit, tropical fruit flavors, with heavy floral notes. Hoppy in the front and in the finish. If you love an aggressive IPA this is the beer for you.

3.84/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into tulip.

A: Pours cloudy amber with a decent amount fluffy head.

S: Mostly grapefruit, a little tropical fruit, and honey.

T: Citrus, pine, and some floral followed by the malt. A slight lingering bitterness.

M: Medium bodied. A bit over-carbonated for me. Goes down foamy at first.

O: Not bad. A bit malty, which isn't my style. Just not that memorable for me.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this beer so many times, it's about damn time I reviewed it. Spoiler alert: I'm gonna rate it highly. It's my go-to IPA. Hands down. LOVE this beer. Also, this one is two days "old." That's about as good as it gets.

A- Poured from a 12. oz bottle into a snifter. About a finger of an off-white head sticks around for a minute or two, leaving its mark on the glass as it fades. Beautiful translucent pale orange/golden hue. Fantastic lacing all the way down the glass.

S- My favorite part of this beer. Just hits you in the face like, "HEY. IN CASE YOU DIDN'T NOTICE, I'M AWESOME." A ton of pine dances beautifully with juicy tropical fruits. Mango, orange, pineapple, grapefruit. Everyone showed up to the party. Just enough malt to keep this beer well-balanced. But this is, without a doubt, a hop-bomb.

T- How Fat Head's has managed to do this baffles me. There is so much juiciness initially, and then an onslaught of hops with a dry finish. Then, the juicy fruits sneak their way back in on the aftertaste. It really is just wave after wave of tropical fruit followed by bitterness. I'll never be bored of drinking this beer. Fantastic.

M- Spot on. Great carbonation with a super crisp, yet not overly light mouthfeel. Towards the heavier end of light. Actually, this is really smooth for being such a hop-bomb. Really enjoyable.

O- So, I'm gonna say something I'm sure most will label as "blasphemous"... If my memory serves me well, this beer is just as good as Heady Topper. And I love Heady. But there's really not much about this beer that could be done any better. It certainly looks nicer than that ugly Heady. On all fronts, this beer is just as good as, or better than, Heady. Come to think of it... I think I'll trade for some more Heady so I can do a side-by-side comparison. The point is... This is a phenomenal beer.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a clear golden amber. Tall and frothy white head. Head fades slowly as can be with great retention. Heavy, fluffy chunks of lacing abound.

S: Whoa, bright and bold hoppiness. Can smell it as soon as I popped the cap off. Grapefruit primarily with juicy citrus everywhere. Tropical fruits join in with pineapple, mango and apricot I'd say. Tangerine? Juicy, juicy, juicy. Wonderful.

T: More of the same. Juicy citrus and tropical fruits but a spicy note here (kinda reminds me of Cascade hops). Pineapple is especially strong along with the grapefruit. Big citrus and spices everywhere. Not much of a malt, seems like a dry, crackery malt to me. Great burst of bitterness in the finish, drying this one out. Long lingering bitter grapefruit in the aftertaste with some spicy pine.

M: Medium bodied, smooth, bitter and dry.

O: Seriously good IPA. Big west coast in-your-face hoppiness. Good variety of hops, all equally balanced. Bitter and dry but not over the top. Crisp and refreshing. Just plain delicious, a treat to imbibe.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon