Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 06-19-2009

1st batches were 7.0% ABV
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,312 | Reviews: 480

4.54/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I drank out of the bottle and will need to edit this review later for appearance.

This was a palate-wrecking bitter IPA in the same class as Stone Ruination. Very West Coast IPA. 87 IBUs, but tasted more bitter than I remember the 102 IBU Hop Stoopid tasting. Just a real pleasant surprise out of Ohio. Very unassuming high quality.

The expected citrus, pine and bready notes are present here.

If you are a hop head you will love this beer. If super hoppy, super bitter beers that ravage your taste buds and leave you unable to taste anything else the rest of the night aren't your thing, you might want to avoid this beer.

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A : Poured a clouded orangish color with a 1/4 inch white head. There is a good amount of white lacing present.

S : Big whiff of tropical fruits, grassiness and some grains with a dash of pine needles as well. It smells refreshing and I am hping it tastes as good as it smells.

T : Initial tropical fruit bouquet meets grass. A little bit of biscuity undertones with a nice dryness to it. The finish is rather dry, refrshing with a moderate bitterness and more tropical fruits

M: Light-medium/ medium bodied, well carbonated. Nice amount of bitterness and tropical fruits, grass sit on the palate.

O: A solid drinking IPA. Balanced.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - A hazy orange somewhat close to copper. The head dissipates quick but with nice lacing.
S - big time citrus hops and pine
T - Citrus, Pine and Grapefruit. A hop head IPA. Malts do the job of balancing.
M - Medium body and moderate carbination. A dry finish with a lingering bitterness.
O - Have recently noticed this one but not big on four packs. Bought a single bottle and glad that I did it. This one is up front hops and made in my state of Ohio.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

4.04/5  rDev -6.9%

Out of a bottle and in the backyard.

Oh buddy is this lil son of a gun juicy. Hot diggity dog is this lil sucker on all cylinders. Rat a tat tat give daddy a pat on the back!

Juicy, sexy and delectable. Sexy like a tornado and hot like a hurricane. Give it to me, baby. Give it to me.

3.71/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ah, here we are. A want for awhile now. I received this today from a trade with michaellcoates - thanks, buddy! 7.5% ABV confirmed. "American-Style India Pale Ale." 87 IBU. Expectations are through the roof; this is my first beer from Fat Head's and its on the list of top beers. Really looking forward to it. Don't see a bottle date/julian code. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with cool fun label and orange branded pry-off cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours almost entirely head, seven fingers wide at the least. Head is a healthy beige colour. Gorgeous soft complexion. Nice creaminess. Good frothiness and thickness. Retention is excellent, about 8-10 minutes. Lacing is light and even yet inconsistent as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour is a pretty vibrant somewhat pale copper. Translucent and transparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's an attractive appearance for the style, but I wouldn't call it unique or special. The head is impressive. I'm looking forward to trying it. Quite inviting.

Sm: Piney. Resinous. Floral hops, with a twinge of grapefruit zest on the back end. Nectary and citrusy, even a bit juicy. I don't get the pineapple mentioned on the label - which is good, I hate pineapple in IPAs (and beer in general, actually). I guess you could call it dank. Fairly pungent, but not overbearing. A biteen soapy; maybe just a bit too long in primary. Pale malts. Hop oils. Grassy character. Light buttery character. Maybe a bit of caramalt. Soft and approachable. Most importantly, it's balanced. No naked hop bitterness is obvious. A good aroma overall, but maybe not as clean as I'd like. And a bit too dry; I'd like it more overtly juicy and refreshing. Moderately strong.

T: A bit more tropical than I'd like; I do get some light pineapple and mango. Hop profile is diverse: floral hops, oily hops, nectary hops, light citrusy hops (in the form of a timid grapefruit twang), and piney hops. Somewhat dank, but also not as clean as I'd like. Herbal cannabis-like hops are prominent, perhaps even dominant. Well balanced, with no overt hop bitterness. Lots happening here; good complexity and flavour integration. It comes off cohesive. Pleasant to drink, with no alcohol coming through. Resiny. I don't get any yeasty notes from it. Body is comprised of pale malts and a bit of light caramalt. Some subtlety here. Lightly bready. Maybe even light fleeting candied notes on the climax.

Overall, it's a different type of IPA than I'm used to; much more herbal and cannabis-like than any IPA I've ever had. I quite fancy it, and the more I get accustomed to it the more I like it. Tasty stuff. Good depth of flavour. Good flavour duration.

Mf: First thing that hit me when I sipped it was how soft it is. Very pleasant and soothing to drink. Smooth as hell. Not as clean as it needs to be, and not crisp at all. A bit scratchy, like the feeling cannabis generates in one's throat. Somewhat dry in the second act, but it gets wet on the finish. Oily. Good thickness. Somewhat refreshing. Not as juicy as I'd like. Overall, it suits the flavour profile quite well and facilitates each note nicely. Feels custom-tailored to the flavour profile, yet it shares the herbal cannabis-like scratchy quality that's really holding this beer back. Undercarbonated.

Dr: Drinkable and it hides its ABV well, but that scratchy somewhat rough texture along with the cannabis-esque flavours does limit drinkability; I doubt I'd want to kill a 6 pack of this in a night. It's pleasant and enjoyable and I really respect its approach to the style. Feels innovative, not imitative or mimetic. I'd love to try this on-draught. But it does make me want to cough a bit; it tickles the back of the throat with those pesky herbal notes. I can see why it has its high ranking, and while I don't know that's it's world class, it's definitely amongst the most unique IPAs I've had. I'd happily have it again and I'd recommend it to friends, but I doubt I'd trade for it again. A solid staple from Ohio and one that would be a mainstay in my fridge if I lived out there.

High B

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon