Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPAFat Head's Head Hunter IPA

Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon visit their website
Ohio, United States

1st batches were 7.0% ABV

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 06-19-2009)

throwback, Nov 14, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

thebouch01, Nov 14, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Spider889, Nov 14, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into an Alpine Beer Co. glass from a growler, filled 35 minutes ago at Fat Heads Saloon Pittsburgh. Beautiful clear amber color with just a small thin white head.

Wow, smells of fresh dank green hops, big grapefruit and citrus. This is how an IPA should smell.

The taste follows the nose, big rush of green citrus flavors, grapefruit and mango, slowly giving way to a nice bitter finish. Not much of a malt presence at all, not that I miss it, it's all about the hop profile here.

Light to medium creamy mouthfeel, well carbonated, with the hops leaving a prickly feeling that lingers on the tongue for awhile.

Right up there with my all time favorites, so happy to find this word class IPA right in my backyard. If you are ever in Cleveland or Pittsburgh this one is well worth seeking out, can't wait to try more Fat Head's offerings.

Cazlo, Oct 15, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

Bottle courtesy of misterhops. Sent to me because he is an awesome guy. His awesomeness becomes even more apparent the more I drink this beer and realize how great it is. Between this and Columbus IPA I gotta say Ohio knows how to make some hoppy beer. The glass was poured into my New Belgium globe.

Orange body with a small white head. No haze, no hop matter, a nice looking beer.

Oh yes, the aroma on this one is top notch. Grapefruit, citrus, maybe a bit of pine and this nice dank resiny finish. The finish of a whiff of this is truly fantastic, few beers catch the nice green hoppy aroma like this does.

As for the taste, this follows in the footsteps of the aroma. Nice green grassy hop taste up front, some tangerine like flavor in the middle and a pretty balanced finish. Fairly bitter but not too bitter. More of that green hoppy notes similar to the aroma in the beggining of a sip. On the lighter side of medium mouthfeel with a decent amount of carbonation. Slightly syrupy mouthfeel after it goes down.

Overall a really really nice IPA. I see why people like this one. I know I've typed it repeatedly but there is a real nice dank, green hop aroma and flavor that really makes this one stick out. I wouldn't mind drinking this one at all, in fact I'll leave it on my wants in hopes of getting this again. It doesn't hurt tha this beer is insanely drinkable, a growler of this could get put down no problem.

jpmclaug, Sep 27, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Clear golden color, nice white 2 finger head. Slowley disapating with some nice lacing.

S: Aroma is nice with lots of pine and plenty citrus hops, and some malts.

T: Taste is bold, citrus, and hoppy.

M: Feel is crisp clean, light and smooth.

Overall: Excellent. Can hang with any west coast IPA. Glad I could finally score some bottles!

ike4tay45, Sep 13, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this on 2011-09-10 at the brewery in Cleveland.

A - Clear straw-amber with a 1.5-finger white head into a Fat Head's pint glass. Moderate lacing.

S - Pineapple, mango, pine, pale malt, hop floral and hop oils. Smells great but not quite as aromatic as on-cask.

T - Pineapple, orange, pine, and grapefruit zest. There's a touch of light caramel and some orange flesh sweetness. It dries quickly with a bright citrus bitter finish that is wonderful.

M - Light-medium body and medium-high carbonation. Crisp. Prickly and somewhat resinous.

D - What a great brew. I enjoyed having this along side the same batch on cask. Slight nod to on-cask but this is absolutely first-rate nontheless.

Notes: This particular batch of Head Hunter is being entered by the brewer, Matt, into the 2011 Great American Beer Festival this month. Our impressively well-versed bartendress told us the pub was out of Head Hunter for 10 days because Matt wanted this batch to be as perfect as possible for submission to GABF.

Additional Note: This batch took the bronze at the 2011 GABF.

Tucquan, Sep 12, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +12%

Served on tap into a nonic glass at the brewpub

A- Poured a honey color orange yellow with one finger frothy head that left some good lace

S- Grapefruit and pine assault. This is super aromatic and has a really deep pungent funk.

T- Big pungent funk, grapefruit, tropical fruit, pine, and woodiness. Perfect balance of sweet and bitter. Great sweet citrus flavor up front and very assertive bitterness on the finish.

M- Very dry beer with good carbonation that goes down smooth, very dry on the finish

O- Is this the best IPA I have ever had? I think it may be. This is an amazing IPA, so aromatic and flavorful. This beer brings the sweetness, bitterness, and funk; what a perfect combo. This is as West Coast as it gets and it is from Cleveland. I have got to make it up to Fat Heads more.

Hoptometrist, Aug 21, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

I don't make it to the west side of Cleveland too often and I was finally in the neighborhood near Fat Head's and decided to run in and grab a growler of Head Hunter and see what the fuss is all about.

I poured part of the growler into my DFH snifter glass to find a nice golden amber body that I wouldn't call clear or hazy, more middle of the road. A vigorouss pour gave me a two inch head and I can notice a nice bit of carbonation. The aroma is dominated by the pine hops with hints of citrus and caramel.

I was actually disappointed with the first sip, nothing special, it was good, not mind blowing. My expectations were not super high and I expected more citrus than an earthy pine. After a few minutes I took another sip, and another, this beer was quickly growing on me. Its a VERY good American IPA, Personally I go for more of the citrus IPA's, but I really enjoyed this beer after I adjusted my perception of what I thought it was going to be.

This American IPA was medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation, I don't want to go as far as to call it crisp, but it was full of flavor, and easy to drink. If it wasn't for my brother in law stopping over and sitting on some for my wife I could have easily enjoyed the entire growler.

Overall a solid IPA and I will defiantly be stopping into Fat Head's more often when I am on the West side of Cleveland.

Dan3279, Jul 28, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

On-tap, Harrisburg Brewer's Fest. Feels like I didn't move from in front of Fat Head's.

A: The IPA is a lighter color. golden and translucent. A white head accompanies the ale where ever it goes.

S: The nose is resiny, oiled up with plenty of rich grapefruit and pine. Intense is probably the best word to use in this situation. Few IPAs muster up this type of powerful smell.

T: Hoppy and boozy, the ale provides on heck of a punch. Hops lead off (and never step aside), providing an oily citrus flavor. Pine follows, a thicker heaviness. Both types of hops can't hide the boozy strength of the IPA. Pale malts don't add much either. The resiny finish lingers long after each sip is gone. Wickedly good.

M: Possibly the highlight of the day for me. It's bite doesn't quit, leaving citrusy goodness in the back of my mouth.

O: Worth the long lines. After 4 glasses I went home a happy camper.

akorsak, Jun 18, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

I have a hard time believing I just now tried this. On tap at the original Fathead's.

Poured into a nonick pint: Transparent, light gold with a finger of soft head. A few streams of fast nucleation. Tapestry lacing that doesn't last too long.

Smell: Wow! Bright grapefruit & a smell of pure freshness, like walking through the woods after a light rain. It's not the complexity of the notes in the aroma or whatever, but the overall vivacity & "nosefeel" that makes this so awesome.

Bitter & citric in the taste, piny, woody. It's like an "erect" taste sensation that's really stimulating. Again, this is hard to describe in terms of flavor components vs. an overall feeling or sensation - fresh, assertive, stiff, delicious. Bitter almost to the point of satiation, but inviting.

Mouthfeel grabs me with bitterness & won't let go, hits me & makes me come back for more. Doesn't destroy the palate, just rakes it over the coals a bit.

In summation: frickin' awesome. My new favorite IPA.

OneDropSoup, Jun 16, 2011

ABV was listed as 7.2%

A - A nice clear copper color with a half of of head. Looks pleasant.

S - Wow what a hoppy bastard. Notes of pine and citrus hops with very little malt background. Hope it's good.

T - Taste is of bitter pine then citrus pine followed by very little hop balance. After a while I can detect a slight bit of malt but I swear this is Ruination.

M - Light to medium. drinks rather well.

Overall for the price ($5.50 a pint GTFO!) and the bitterness I will look elsewhere for a smooth IPA

And when the hell will Pittsburgh get the 4 bottles for 9.95? Man it's been like a 2 month wait!

DrDemento456, May 29, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -23.8%

Enjoyed on tap in a pint glass at Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon.

There is absolutely no head to be found on this beer when I receive it. A thin foam ring barely exists at the edges of the glass. The body is a clear copper amber with no sign of carbonation bubbles. No lacing can be found throughout consumption.

Citrus and pine hops flow off the beer. Notes of grapefruit and caramel malt is also noticable. Not the strongest nose, but definitely pleasent.

Citrus and strikes at the beginning of the sip only to be quickly overtaken by a strong pine flavor. Notes of grapefruit and lemon add decent complexity to the beer. A dry, earthy pine aftertaste finishes each sip.

Medium bodied with little noticable carbonation, this beer is consumable but lacks drinkability. While not exactly flat, more carbonation would definitely have helped this beer out.

Honestly, I don't understand all the hype behind this beer. The flavor is great and the aroma is pleasing, but this beer fails pretty hard in all other categories.

output01x, May 15, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

I wanted to try this beer for a long time and with in 4 weeks I was lucky enough to sample it at the brewery and then run into the assistant brewer at Dark Lord Day and received a bottle from him.

Nothing exceptional as far as the head is concerned. Nice Golden Orange color.

Fabulous smell. Lots of Citrus and Pine notes

Excellent IPA flavor that holds up the the expectation that the smell leaves. Loads of hop kick. an Excellent flavored APA. It has just enough malt flavor to keep the hops from being too bold.

Mouthfeel is good a little resinous

Overall I highly recommend this beer for any hop lover

Shmota, May 05, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -26.1%

Generously hooked up on a trade from Stigs. Poured into my Darkness snifter.

I am going to point out the obvious of this review. It's short, and you will read why.

Pours a nice burnt honey color with about a fingers width of off white head. Smell.... Without a doubt it smells like bunk weed. You can't get around it. Taste is you guessed it... bunk weed with a bit of hop bite. Hop oil slightly coats the tongue in the backend.

I can't rave about this, or in fact call it bad. Very average ipa but it's weed flavored. You take it from there.

TheDudeRules, May 03, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a light hazed golden orange color. One finger white head shows medium retention. Very nice long streaks of sticky lace left on the glass.

S- Aroma is citrus hop forward. I like the fact that there was a piney earthy aroma that comes through next. Light caramel malts do come through in the ending of the aroma a little bit before a nice light medicinal alcohol finish comes up on the aroma.

T- Citrus hops blast forward right off the get go with this beer. Hints of bready caramel malts show up for a second before a piney bite comes through for the second round of hops. Ending of this beer has a super sweet alcohol bite to it along with some more citrus hop forwardness to it.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Both fruity and piney hops dominate the palate. Aftertaste is mostly fruity and piney hops along with a nice warming alcohol. Flavors were well balanced for the style and this one was hop forward. No off flavors were present but there at times seemed to be a little alcohol heat in the ending. Medium high alcohol drying on the palate.

O- I thought this beer overall was good. Actually, I thought it was great. The ABV is in the mid-range where it won't kill you to drink a couple in a row but it might impair you to not drink anything else. A hop crusher on the palate. Can see why this one won the IPA challange. Good job Fat Heads!

alleykatking, Apr 28, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Tasted on 3/27/11. Reviewed from notes Thanks to SDSurfer217 for this beer:

A: pours a golden color with a half finger of head, slightly cloudy

S: I smell citrus and grapefruit but not as strong as other IPAs on the nose.

T: A pretty good hop punch. Lots of grapefruit. Floral hops in front with a grassy finish almost sour finish. Aftertaste is not my favorite but rest is tasty.

M: Lots of carb, light feel but at the same time the hops coat the mouth nicely.

O: A good IPA w/ a funky aftertaste/finish. Would definitely enjoy again but with the explosion of IPAs would pick others first.

gregshead, Apr 24, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This has been a favorite of mine. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a shiny, transparent, light golden color with a nice foamy white head and very sticky lacing. The aromas are straight dank.. extremely pungent. Lots of grapefruit going on. I mean these aromas are intense! The taste is very bold, but balanced. I can pick lots of pineapple, grapefruit, and orange. There's the slightest amount of pine and resin. This one isn't too malty. Mouthfeel is good, somewhat thin, but well carbonated and smooth. Highly enjoyable! Outstanding! Fun to drink..

This definitely is a top-notch IPA. It's something I'm glad I can get in the area. All hopheads should appreciate this one! DANK! I hope everyone gets to try this one day.

BB1313, Apr 16, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -3%

Golden orange with a nice head and decent lacing.

Pungent pine and grapefruit out the ying-yang. Sweet malty overtures.

Taste is fabulous. Easy piney grapefruit along with a smooth hops flavor accented by a touch of smooth malts.

Feel is rich and thick, with ample silky carbonation.

Overall this beer is simply and only one dimensional: Delicious!

AlCaponeJunior, Apr 15, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Fyi, Fat Head's finally bottled this brew so if you get a chance to stop in, the 4 packs are available at a pretty reasonable price!

Although I'm more of a dark beer kind of girl, I enjoy a good IPA when I find one, and boy this is definitely one of them. There are so many aromas and flavors in this brew. The smell is very much citrus. Definite grapefruit notes. The actual taste however is a much more distinct hoppy pine flavor. Slightly peppery. Overall a must try if you ever get the chance.

SandieBeaches, Apr 11, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

I am happy that I was able to grab a growler of headhunter on my way out of fat heads.

Headhunter pours a light light amber almost apple juice colored and has a standard good amount of head with a decent amount of lacing. It has a fresh clean look which is ok. The first whiffs from my Chimay bell are pine and subtle citrus. I found the smell complex and very appealing begging me to drink some. Hop bitter stings the end of my tongue delightfully. This beer is all hops. I taste pine, and grapefruit bitter citrus, intermingling with resin and earthy hop flavors. My god this is a great tasting straight up IPA!!! The mouthfeel is also awesome not to thick and very approachable. Overall I am happy with this beer and would advocate anybody living in Western Pa or Ohio if only to find Head Hunter.

jorg2619, Apr 02, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass and a snifter on 3/16/11

Brought back from the brewery by MbpBugeye; thanks Seth! Stoked to try this one...

Lighter amber color; golden and pineapple hues. Slight haziness but not cloudy. Just over one finger of puffy foam holds for a short while then drops to an island of film and collar retention. Not much lace at all, just a few drippy clumps. More lace with the snifter, actually.

Smells great; pretty much hops all the way. Lively citrus notes: grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest and tropical undertones. Some pine, too. Seems to have an Amarillo kick, especially when colder. I wouldn't be surprised if this Cascade and Simcoe, too. Not too much malt peeking through.

The hop presence on the palate is comparable to its expression in the nose. Zesty citrus with no shortage of spicy kick. Lots of dry, bitter grapefruit; kind of pithy and peely in that respect. Orange peel, too with occasional lemon twinges. Not overly piney; more of an after thought. Toasty malt works into the back but it's appropriately dry and out of the way of the hops.

Medium body with a really slick feel. I've tried to shy away from Two Hearted comparisons but it has that same slick, yet resiny feel. The second pour is far more resinous; cool. Carbonation is spot-on for the feel; starts off with enough momentum and tapers off throughout the glass. Finishes dry and grapefruit-bitter.

Without a doubt this is an upper-tier American IPA from the Midwest; nay, an upper-tier American IPA, period. This is a really enjoyable beer and very well-done. I could drink this regularly and be perfectly ok with it.

Ryan011235, Mar 27, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

from notes

A - medium yellow body, quite clear, small head.

S - lovely big grapefruity hop aroma

T - Great hop complexity - bitter, dry, citrusy, spicy.

M - light and full-bodied. quite nice for a single IPA

O (D) - Very drinkable, very tasty. Would be a good daily beer.

ColdPoncho, Mar 27, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have been introducing my wife to good beers for a while now, but she has been really reluctant to start trying a lot of IPAs.
I took her to Fatheads a few weeks ago and made her try my Head Hunter. Needless to say, she got her own glass and a 4 pack for the road just for herself. Since then she has been all over IPAs and our fridge has never looked yummier.
This beer pours an orange color with little head and has some amazing piny/citrus smells. It is super easy to drink, has a crisp feel, and some amazing citrus flavor.
This is by far my favorite IPA and if you get the chance I highly encourage you to try it. Im even prouder that its brewed right here in NE Ohio.

EricHeff, Mar 23, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to the Thorpes for picking this growler up, I really appreciate it.

Beer is orange and mostly clear with a nice white head, thick, contiguous, lacing is a plus and carbonation is moderate, looks awesome.

Hops that win out are citrus / fruit in variety, nice volume on the aroma, very inviting.

Wow, super drinkable, a very nice AIPA for sure, medium bodied, chewy hops, lots of esters in the midpalate, great hop flavor, great hop bitterness to finish, not too dry on the back palate, overall a wonderful beer.

drabmuh, Mar 21, 2011