Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPAFat Head's Head Hunter IPA

Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon visit their website
Ohio, United States

1st batches were 7.0% ABV

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 06-19-2009)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Undated bottle into an IPA glass. Hadn't planned on reviewing this (didn't love JuJu and didn't have high hopes for this), but it surprised me, so here we are.

Look: slightly cloudy rich yellow. Small head.

Smell: delicious tropical fruits. On the sweeter side, but I don't get the sense this is going to be a sugar bomb.

Taste: a near-perfect balance of bitter and sweet. This reminds me of some of my all-time favorite IPAs from Port Brewing—both in taste, and in how unabashedly it puts hops to the fore. Delivers on the tropical fruit flavors promised in the nose. Also some more grassy hop notes, along with some mild floral character.

Feel: light-to-medium body and dry. Pretty sharp and well-carbonated.

Overall: I was expecting more of an East-coast malt-forward IPA (or worse yet, a Midwest sugar bomb), but this is fantastic!

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

This is based on the most recent bottle I sampled.

The beer pours an orange amber color with good head retention and very nice lacing. At least for this bottle, the nose is the best part of this beer, as I pick up considerable dry citrus, light skunky weed, some noticable pine and white pepper. The flavor profile replicates the nose to some extent, but there is already some noticeable sweet maltiness in the mid palate and finish that I associate with less than optimal freshness in this beer. Otherwise, this IPA is on the dry side, with a moderately long, bitter finish. Alcohol is well integrated into the flavor profile, and mouthfeel is medium bodied with a clean, moderately bitter finish.

A couple of thoughts about this beer. I used to see this beer on tap frequently at various bars in Pittsburgh when I lived in Morgantown. While always pretty good, I was also always a bit hesitant to order it, as in my experience this beer goes down hill pretty quickly once it's been tapped. Fresh, this beer was a tasty IPA that I would frequently order as an alternative to Bells Two Hearted, which was the other staple I'd see on tap in and around Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, I ordered far too many pints of HH that were nowhere close to optimal freshness, which is why I became increasingly cautious about ordering it. On the other hand, a bottle sent to me by a friend a few months back was incredible, and at long last I could see some basis for the lofty score this beer seems to routinely get on BA. The one I drank last night was decent, but in light of the bottle I enjoyed a few months back, something of a disappointment. Bottle/batch variation seems to be the order of the day with this beer, which is the only cautionary note I would make regarding this otherwise well made IPA from Fat Head's.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

A - a nice amber golden color with a good head

S - A very hoppy and hempy smell. I liked it alot though

T - A very good and hoppy IPa. Expecting a little more citrus notes but that developed through out the beer. Very smooth

M - a good body and very smooth

O - I really liked this IPA

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Super resin aroma of what I'm guessing is Simcoe and Cascade. About as much hop aroma as you could ever squeeze in to a beer. Slight woody and earthy smell.

Slight off-white head that lingers for a few minutes and dissipates to a slight white film over the beer.

The taste of the beer is surprisingly balanced considering the hop-heavy aroma. Although the beer is very much hop forward. A sticky hop flavor that lingers on your tongue for quite a while.

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA from Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon