Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 06-19-2009

1st batches were 7.0% ABV
Ratings: 3,507 | Reviews: 509
4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a growler purchased a few days ago from Fatheads.

Appearance: golden yellow-orange color with a finger offsite off-white, thick head. The color is beautiful. Quite a bit of retainment for an IPA.

Smell: strong pine and citrus smell, maybe a little too strong actually.

Taste: unrealistically good taste. Great hops flavor, mild alcoholic kick.

Mouthfeel: a little carbonated, probably because of the serving type. A bit dry, but it goes down smooth.

Overall: without a doubt the best single IPA I've ever had. Incredible taste. I will be disappointed when the growler is empty.

4.78/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip

A- Clear golden orange, slight haze upon swirl. A massive three finger white head with good retention.

S- Intense citrus. A ton of pineapple, pine, lemon, mango. A sugary sweet malt backbone. Delightful stuff.

T- A slight bitterness at front. A tong of citrus to this beer. A massive grapefruit flavor to it. A ton of pineapple, lemon and pine as well. A massively hopped west coast style IPA. The citrus is really extenuated by a sugary sweet malt backbone that work to enhance the hop profile.

M- Bitter and extremely dry. But drinkable. A hop bite on the tongue.

O- An incredible IPA. A hop forward IPA but not big enough to where it is undrinkable. Super fresh hop flavors. I cant get this in my area so I'm kicking myself for only buying a single :(

4.78/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My favorite IPA. This beer smells wonderful, pours with a firm head and the finish is a hopheads dream. Living outside the Burgh, I've been to Fatheads a couple times and they never had this on tap! Always out. Now that they are bottling it, I love the availabilty of it. Alittle high priced, But LIFE'S TO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER! Tried to order a sixtel and was told they quit filling sixtels. BUMMER!! Maybe splurge on a 1/4 sometime.

4.77/5  rDev +9.9%

4th of the 4 sources of Head Hunter. Fat Head's: if you ever nitro this, I will destroy you.

12oz bottle from the Pittsburgh location. Served in a 12oz tulip glass.

A - poured with moderate aggression yielding almost half an inch of loose yet dense, fluffy slightly off-white foam. the beer itself is crystal clear, dark gold (bordering copper) in color. thin and wet, yet solid lacing left behind around the glass.

S - very rich, dank...Simcoe hops bring their distinctive "cattyness" and spice, dominating the nose. other notes of pineapple, tangerine, and grapefruit mesh nicely with just a bit of wet pine. malt? sweetness? nowhere to be found. good.

T - bitter, hop explosion from the first sip. tropical fruits...melon, grapefruit, and tangerine run rampant. Simcoe slowly creeps in, with tastes of earthy spice, wet pine needles, and a slight addition toward the citrus (more orange rind) fruits. malts add just the slightest bit of slightly burnt caramel, but this is all about the hops.

M - light, to medium-light body...slightly punchy carbonation, not overdone. oily going down with a lightly dry and sticky finish. long, drawn out bitter hoppy finish.

D - great beer all around. the latest batches (these bottles, growler, and some recent tap pours) seem a bit more Simcoe heavy than what I was used to. again, straight from the West Coast via Ohio. wonderful to see this in bottles and at a decent price (~$2.50 apiece).

4.77/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a clean, pale orange-ish color with a white head. In the aroma, big citrus, grapefruity hops. In the taste, big hops, citrus and grapefruity, yet very well balanced with a nice malt. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a grapefruity hop aftertaste. Fantastic, big hops, but not too big.

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Golden tan/burnt yellow with a 1 inch foamy head and mild lacing.

Smell - A load of hops, grapefruit, orange, pine, pear, plums, rasin. Some carmal malts and faint farmhouse like spices and yeasts in the finish.

Taste - Loads of hops at first sip. Very floral, sweet and hop bitter. Close to a west coast ipa with its pine/grapefruit/orange flavors mixed with a saison/farmhouse like floral, earthy flavors. The hops are very crisp, clean and a perfect mix of sweet and bitter. Light caramal malts and added sugars come near the finish to balance and add even more flavor to this amazing ipa.

Mouthfeel - Light, crisp, refreshing and lots of sweet fruits nail the tounge. Palate gets more hops along with some spices and malts. Aftertaste is bitter, fruity and a little dry.

Overall - Top 5 ipa ive ever had. I loved going to fatheads to drink this but i like having a bottle of it even more. Excellent world class ipa, smooth, tasty and hoppy as hell, a must try.

4.76/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had fresh on tap. Looks decent. Smell is probably one of the best IPAs I have ever smelled. Floral fruity hoppy goodness. Tastes great. Just enough sweetness. Blossoms in your mouth. One of the best IPAs I've ever had. Up there with 90 minute IPA and Jai Alai. If you find it, drink it.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

This is one beer that is better in the bottle. I've always enjoyed Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA on tap, but I have to say it was never one I craved or sought out. But, Fat Head's bottling is different ... in a very good way. Whatever, they did to capture the piney, citrusy, oily esters and resins in the bottle please keep doing it. The mildly high ABV hides beautifully behind zesty grapefruit, spicy hops, fresh cut grass, and biscuity maltiness. A very well-balanced and well-done IPA bottling that I crave and will seek out. Thankfully, I can find it, for now, right in my local grocery store. Bonus!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Poured an orange color with 1 finger of eggshell white head quickly dissipating into a thin cap. Awesome lacing left on the glass.

Smell: I'm pulling out a lot of grapefruit/citrus in the nose. Nice and hop forward.

Taste: I taste grapefruit and citrus followed by a bit of biscuity/bready malts. Nice bitterness on the back end. Finishes nice and dry.

Overall: Nice IPA, reminds me of Half Acre Daisy Cutter. Wish we could get this in Chicago.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into an Alpine Beer Co. glass from a growler, filled 35 minutes ago at Fat Heads Saloon Pittsburgh. Beautiful clear amber color with just a small thin white head.

Wow, smells of fresh dank green hops, big grapefruit and citrus. This is how an IPA should smell.

The taste follows the nose, big rush of green citrus flavors, grapefruit and mango, slowly giving way to a nice bitter finish. Not much of a malt presence at all, not that I miss it, it's all about the hop profile here.

Light to medium creamy mouthfeel, well carbonated, with the hops leaving a prickly feeling that lingers on the tongue for awhile.

Right up there with my all time favorites, so happy to find this word class IPA right in my backyard. If you are ever in Cleveland or Pittsburgh this one is well worth seeking out, can't wait to try more Fat Head's offerings.

Hop Heads Dream Beer!
You like hoppy IPAs?
Get some Head Hunter..... ASAP!

4.74/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Head Hunter has a nice orange color and is topped with a 1” of white head that has great retention to it.
Smell: The smell is just wafting from the pint glass and the nose gets blasted by citrus and pine hops great smelling IPA.
Taste: The taste goes along well with the smell; the citrus hops blast the palate and are followed by the pine and grass hops. It has a bit of a dry finish with goes well with the beer.
Mouthfeel: Head hunter is a medium bodied beer that has great taste and keeps me wanting more. Darn good IPA out of Ohio that I would put up against any IPA out there.

4.73/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Yet another awesome IPA.

Definite Citra notes and fruitiness to balance the chewy bitters hidden in this light golden ale. The easy going maltiness was just enough to bolster the hops.

The head diminished quickly but some rocky chunks stayed on the surface. It was constantly fizzing but not enough to keep it thick.

This was very refreshing and did not have a chance to come up to room temp in my mug.

Cannot wait to try the IIPA.

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

On tap at Fat Head's in Pittsburgh, 2010.2.2.

Light copper color with lacy white head. Very enticing bouquet with pine and citrus hops aplenty. Mouthfeel is creamy and resinous. Taste is crisp and bursting with fresh hops; grapefruit flavors predominate. Drinkability is exceptional; I could guzzle this beer all day.

Headhunter is a truly fantastic IPA. It is similar to Green Flash (one of my favorites), but slightly less bitter and with a lighter body. Apparently this beer won first prize at a San Diego IPA competition - no mean feat for a beer from Cleveland. Bravo, Fat Head's.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Super excited to try this one! Another find at Palm Beach TW.
A - 4.25 - Nice super clear amber-gold color with a white film of bubbles on top that leave nice lacing.
S - 4.75 - BOOM! Grapefruit, pineapple, pine, resin, ganja, absolutely no malt to speak of (and there shouldn't be!) It smells amazing.
T - 4.75 - Grapefruit, orange zest, pineapple, lemon/lime, pine, resin, ganja. Just an explosion of hops.
M - 4.75 - Light/medium, so bitter. Alc completely covered. Aftertaste is grapefruit, orange zest, pine...
O - 4.75 - This is an amazing beer. Most similar to La Cumbre Elevated or Ballast Point Sculpin. Just another example of why the overhyped IPAs aren't really as good as people say they are.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle date 7/9/2014. I had to double check, as I never thought I would get to try this beer at a week old.

This beer is just silly. I cannot believe how amazing this beer is, especially when it is this fresh. Completely blew me away. As soon as I popped the cap, this aroma of amazing hop-fuitness floral-citrusness hit my nasal cavity and I started salivating immediately as I poured it into a glass. The mouthfeel of this is so intense. Remember swish and spit in gradeschool? Imagine taking whole cone hops, soaking them in grapefruit and pineapple juice, and swishing them around your mouth. That is what it is like, except this time you get to swallow it :)

Damn near perfect.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Damn near one of the best IPAs on the market. Love the aroma, really punches you in the nose with citrus and piney notes. Great pour, perfect head with nice lacing. Great hoppy taste, but you still recognize that their is malt in their, not all bitterness. Easily worth getting an entire case of cause it is so easy to drink. Solid all around.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoying this IPA thanks to an awesome gift from FlakyBiscuit - thanks Alan!

Poured into tulip; clear bright orange-gold with a modest white head that deflates after a few moments into a nice layer of foam that leaves slick lacing.
Smells awesome; huge grapefruit, tangerine, orange, pineapple and mango, with pine and bitterness behind.
Taste is delicious. Tropical and citrus fruits blending with pine and subdued bready malt, finishing very bitter with hop resin everywhere.
Mouthfeel is just carbonated enough, thin, slick and a bit dry at the end.
Overall, I can see why this IPA gets a lot of love on here; it's awesome. It's got something for everyone...tropical fruits for the East-Coast fans, pine and hellish bitterness for the West-Coast fans. Awesome.

Thanks again to FlakyBiscuit for sending me this great beer!

4.71/5  rDev +8.5%

I wouldn't argue with you if you said this was the greatest single IPA in the world. Looks innocent enough, a slightly golden haze of a beer. Beautiful aroma up the nose, amazing simcoe and amarillo feel.

More of that in the taste, Plinyesque, so much dry hopping flavor, without a super heavy handed amount of bitterness. Totally resonates throughout the entire sample (tried at Bistro IPA festival, where it won gold). Extremely drinkable, would be difficult to stop drinking this if there weren't 61 other kegs of IPA that day.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

MY favorite cleveland beer! Great stuff!!

4.71/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A- bronze color with some nice creamy lacing but not much head.
S- big hop punch in the nose. Pine, grapefruit, mango. Very light malt presence if any. Smells like what an IPA should smell like.
T- the taste is perfect! Follows the nose and is definitely hop dominant. Pine, mango, grapefruit and some citrus. A pleasant pine and grapefruit taste lingers on the tongue. This may not be the best IPA for those who like more malt presence, but the flavors that the hops produce balance it out perfect for my tastes.
M- HOPS. the hops jump on the tongue and tingle the roof of the mouth.
O- this is my favorite IPA to date. Any true hop heads will love this one. Introduced my friend to it and this got him into the style. I wish I had regular access to these

4.71/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Exceptional taste, wonderful, I love ipas and this is now my favorite.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It doesn't get much better than this. Extremely drinkable at 7.5%ABV. Top 5 IPA IMHO.

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass at around 45°F

Appearance: Burnt orange color with a one finger off white head that sticks around; Sticky with great lacing.

Smell: Tropical and citrus fruits (grapefruit, pineapple, mango, orange, lemon), pine, and sweet malt. They blend together perfectly; The most aromatic AIPA I've encountered.

Taste: Everything you want in an AIPA is there. Enormous amount of tropical and citrus hops (although more on the citrus side), bittering hops, pine, and sweet malt for a great balance. Bright fruits carry on in the aftertaste. Burps taste great too! I pick up more tropical notes in the nose, but the taste is still world class.

Mouthfeel: Light medium body; resinous with substantial bitterness and a dry finish. Well carbonated; Crisp

Overall: It's hard to pull off an IPA of this caliber, and Fat Head's has done it! An AIPA done to near perfection and one of my favorites in the style. I feel lucky to have a regular (fresh) supply of this. If you're a hop head, this would be a great go to locally, and certainly worth a trade. Highly recommended!

4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

I have seen this beer proudly displayed on LNBA posts and when I saw it on the shelf at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, OH, I just had to try it. Poured from a bottle (no freshness date) into a New Belgium snifter, it pours out a beautiful clear orange gold color with a nice tight head that, while thin, does show some good retention. I also see some nice effervescence. The nose is simply stunning. I get big notes of ripe tropical fruits like grapefruit, oranges, pineapples, and peaches. This is how I like my IPAs to smell! Resiny, flowery, pine-like noses are fine, but big tropical fruit notes like this get really high marks in my book. Think ``Zombie Dust'', only toned down just a little bit.

The beer has a nice medium body and a good, firm mouthfeel. The flavor follows the nose pretty well. There is plenty of malt there to provide a good body, but the hops just take over and rattle your palate. If there's one thing I don't like in an IPA, it is medicinal sweetness. With this beer, I get absolutely no sweetness beyond a tiny bit on the tip of my tongue. After that, it's all big, aggressive, pine and citrus bitterness. The finish is the best I've ever encountered in this style. It is really sticky and long-lasting. You can feel the hop oils coating your mouth long after you swallow. If I had to nitpick, I would say that a bit more malt body would make this beer even better. Since I don't have to nitpick, I'll simply say ``Why gamble when you're ahead? Don't change a darn thing!''

Folks have been raving about this beer on message boards and now I know why. Considering this beer is made just next door in Ohio, my experience with it came as a complete shock. It is absolutely world-class and might be the best American IPA I have had yet. I will be looking for this whenever I drive over the bridge from now on. Now if these guys would just start to distribute to Kentucky...

EDIT: I have now had this beer numerous times and had to upgrade the appearance rating after experiencing floaties on several occasions. As if this beer wasn't good enough already, now its appearance is starting to remind me of Heady Topper. Bravo!

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon