Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 06-19-2009

1st batches were 7.0% ABV
Ratings: 3,502 | Reviews: 508
4.04/5  rDev -6.9%

Out of a bottle and in the backyard.

Oh buddy is this lil son of a gun juicy. Hot diggity dog is this lil sucker on all cylinders. Rat a tat tat give daddy a pat on the back!

Juicy, sexy and delectable. Sexy like a tornado and hot like a hurricane. Give it to me, baby. Give it to me.

3.71/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ah, here we are. A want for awhile now. I received this today from a trade with michaellcoates - thanks, buddy! 7.5% ABV confirmed. "American-Style India Pale Ale." 87 IBU. Expectations are through the roof; this is my first beer from Fat Head's and its on the list of top beers. Really looking forward to it. Don't see a bottle date/julian code. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with cool fun label and orange branded pry-off cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours almost entirely head, seven fingers wide at the least. Head is a healthy beige colour. Gorgeous soft complexion. Nice creaminess. Good frothiness and thickness. Retention is excellent, about 8-10 minutes. Lacing is light and even yet inconsistent as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour is a pretty vibrant somewhat pale copper. Translucent and transparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's an attractive appearance for the style, but I wouldn't call it unique or special. The head is impressive. I'm looking forward to trying it. Quite inviting.

Sm: Piney. Resinous. Floral hops, with a twinge of grapefruit zest on the back end. Nectary and citrusy, even a bit juicy. I don't get the pineapple mentioned on the label - which is good, I hate pineapple in IPAs (and beer in general, actually). I guess you could call it dank. Fairly pungent, but not overbearing. A biteen soapy; maybe just a bit too long in primary. Pale malts. Hop oils. Grassy character. Light buttery character. Maybe a bit of caramalt. Soft and approachable. Most importantly, it's balanced. No naked hop bitterness is obvious. A good aroma overall, but maybe not as clean as I'd like. And a bit too dry; I'd like it more overtly juicy and refreshing. Moderately strong.

T: A bit more tropical than I'd like; I do get some light pineapple and mango. Hop profile is diverse: floral hops, oily hops, nectary hops, light citrusy hops (in the form of a timid grapefruit twang), and piney hops. Somewhat dank, but also not as clean as I'd like. Herbal cannabis-like hops are prominent, perhaps even dominant. Well balanced, with no overt hop bitterness. Lots happening here; good complexity and flavour integration. It comes off cohesive. Pleasant to drink, with no alcohol coming through. Resiny. I don't get any yeasty notes from it. Body is comprised of pale malts and a bit of light caramalt. Some subtlety here. Lightly bready. Maybe even light fleeting candied notes on the climax.

Overall, it's a different type of IPA than I'm used to; much more herbal and cannabis-like than any IPA I've ever had. I quite fancy it, and the more I get accustomed to it the more I like it. Tasty stuff. Good depth of flavour. Good flavour duration.

Mf: First thing that hit me when I sipped it was how soft it is. Very pleasant and soothing to drink. Smooth as hell. Not as clean as it needs to be, and not crisp at all. A bit scratchy, like the feeling cannabis generates in one's throat. Somewhat dry in the second act, but it gets wet on the finish. Oily. Good thickness. Somewhat refreshing. Not as juicy as I'd like. Overall, it suits the flavour profile quite well and facilitates each note nicely. Feels custom-tailored to the flavour profile, yet it shares the herbal cannabis-like scratchy quality that's really holding this beer back. Undercarbonated.

Dr: Drinkable and it hides its ABV well, but that scratchy somewhat rough texture along with the cannabis-esque flavours does limit drinkability; I doubt I'd want to kill a 6 pack of this in a night. It's pleasant and enjoyable and I really respect its approach to the style. Feels innovative, not imitative or mimetic. I'd love to try this on-draught. But it does make me want to cough a bit; it tickles the back of the throat with those pesky herbal notes. I can see why it has its high ranking, and while I don't know that's it's world class, it's definitely amongst the most unique IPAs I've had. I'd happily have it again and I'd recommend it to friends, but I doubt I'd trade for it again. A solid staple from Ohio and one that would be a mainstay in my fridge if I lived out there.

High B

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks, Todd! Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. No freshness or bottling date on the bottle. Oh, well.

Pours a hazy, amber orange color complete with about 4 fingers worth of white head that rise all the way to the top of the glass. The head itself is remarkable in texture, often resembling a foamy, sticky, almost pasty texture. It settles to about a half finger's worth, but leaves behind enough lacing to add character. Floaties are definitely present in this thing, not in a Heady Topper-esque way, but unfiltered enough with tiny chunks in midst of the otherwise cleared appearance. Looks great.

I definitely tingled with excitement when I immediately placed my nose towards the beer. This is swimming in huge citrus notes, pine needles (almost to the point of being minty), as well as a variety of fruits from papaya, grapefruit, and apricots. It's almost to the point of being dank, but actually ends up churning out a bright, vibrant astringency. The malts deliver a slightly caramel character, although with the alcohol slightly present it could even be on its way to being butterscotch-y. Everything is very well placed together, and its pine/citrus profile is so present that I would have been fooled into thinking that this were a West Coast offering if served to me blind. While I wish it had more of the tropical flavors that I expected, it still is very well put together.

At the flavor, however, I can see where this gets all the attention. At the front of the tongue, you get an elevated bitterness and soft malty breadiness that soon melds into a variety of extremely juicy fruits. Mangoes, papaya, grapefruit, passion fruit, pineapples, oranges, melons, honeysuckle, as well as a mineral, hop forward earthiness. Extremely phenomenal - especially how the sweetness imparted by the malts and booze create the actual sensation of chewing on these fruits and more. Very wet, even for an IPA. While it's pretty bitter, it's still extraordinarily silky for the style at hand, as the froth and carbonation provide a smoothened out, syrupy experience that goes down like a charm. Leaves behind an inordinate amount of stickiness, as well as creaminess on the palate. There's a remarkable amount of heat at the finish, which came as a surprise, and could get intolerable in the long run. Otherwise, truly fantastic stuff.

This must be one of the most festive IPAs I've ever had. All these flavors come together beautifully, and the texture is easy to down as any viscous, fruit forward wine. My favorite part other than the fruitiness is the undeniable wetness that this holds - in fact, its lack of dryness makes it scarily quaffable. This beer has been romanticized to death, recently, and I can see why. It reminds me of many different IPAs across the country, but holds on its own as pretty unique. Great stuff - can't wait to get more!

4.81/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a tangerine color with a half finger of head, pretty clear.

Smell is 100% hops, wow. Grapefruit, citrus peel, pine, wow.

Taste is more of the same, grapefruit peel, pine, citrus really can not taste any malt and it is fine by me! underlying sweet orange flavors

Mouthfeel is medium light, sharp carbonation.

Wow, good thing I can not get this because I would be drinking this daily!! All Hops here and I loved it.

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled in April 2013. Poured into Greenbush snifter

Appearance is clear and light golden orange

Smell is dank earthy piney hops. Smells like simcoe hops to me

Taste is dominated by hops. Nice bitterness with a piney citrusy fruit taste from the hops. Not getting much from the malt and I don't mind since I like hop forward ipas. Very slight sweetness is all I get from the malt

Mouthfeel is very nice. Medium carbonation and a dry feel

Overall this would be one of my go to standard ipas if it were readily available here. Will pick up whenever I see this

3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

(Served in a bowtie glass)
A- There is a hint of haze to the bright orange body with a thick beige cream that last a good bit as a thin film.

S- There is a full woody green hops with a mint quality to it as it opens up

T- The herbal hops have a slight spicy pungency with some green bitterness that lingers a moment after each sip. There is a pale and lightly toasted malt hint in the first few sips but it gets covered by the hop pungency as it grows.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has a tight fizzy bite in the finish.

O- The big fizz boost the hop bitterness which covers a lot of the other flavors but it does have some nice hop flavors and some malt hints. It is just the bitterness is out of balance.

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Having a bottle at Arena Bar & Grill in Wilkes Barre, PA. Served in a goblet.

Appearance: This beer poured a small head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pale orange color with great clarity and bubbles coming up through the glass. Nice lacing on the glass as the beer was drank too.

Smell: Pine, citrus, grapefruit, and pineapple. Some caramel and bready malts in there too.

Taste: Super tasty. Same as above with lingering hop bitterness. Aggressively hopped, but bearable.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium carbonation, tingly bitterness, a little chewy, and medium bodied.

Overall: I had this on draft a few years ago at the Fat Heads Saloon in Pittsburgh. Still an awesome beer.

4.46/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured a two week old bottle into a pint glass. Pours a nice orangish gold with a two finger head . Smell is pine upfront with some great citrus in the background. Taste is fantastic. Similar to aroma an initial bitter rush of pine finished with a grapefruit kick that stays with you. A nice dry finish makes it an easy drinker that hides the abv well. One of the best ipas out there to me. Happy to live within walking distance and get this on a regular basis.

4.04/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a rich, coppery color with a thick foam. The nose is not very strong, so you're not really sure what you're in for. However, the flavors in this one are so good, I almost put the whole bottle down before I had time to type up the review. It has just a touch of malt to it, but the piney notes assure you that the hops are in control. The overall mix of bitter flavors are excellent, and while they are aggressive, they're not too, well, "too." It lingers in your mouth long after the liquid is gone, but not in a way that makes you need to clean it out. It's a great beer that I wish I had unlimited access to in my area.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As I pour this one into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass I first seem to get very little, but quickly find out I was wrong. My head gets to the top of my glass and trickles over at around 3 fingers. Head is a soft doughy beige in tone. Tones of lace is left behind with nice retention. Body is a bold copper amber in tone. The whole look itself is very enticing. Nose is of fresh cut grass and grapefruit rind. There is a hint of lemon zest and pepper also. All in all the nose is a bit soft. With first sip you get a creamy bitter dance on the tongue. The rind tones really build up the bite as you drink. Piny and rustic with layers of deep dry hops. Really develops well as you enjoy this on. It did start a bit on the soft side but finishes wonderfully. Mouthfeel is one that really hangs on and is monstrously bitter(in a good way).

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into tulip - bottled on 5/3 - thanks phil

Pours a brilliant golden orange color with minimal fogginess, topped by a thinner cropping of creamy white head. Streaks of webbed lacing adhere to the glass with a collar of film left behind.

Pungent, fragrant hops sting the nose with pine and citrus fruits. Grapefruit and caramel sweetness with bready toasted malts and a soft warmth.

Cascading waves of hoppiness descend upon the tongue right up front, heaping layers of pine and grapefruit with sticky resin clinging to the taste buds. Touches of fruit with soft sweetness, caramel and toasted bread crust. Milder malt backbone allows the hops to sing throughout the profile. Finishes bitter and slightly warm.

Fuller medium body, well carbonated, sticky and lingering on the tongue. Easily a top tier IPA worthy of the accolades and bouquets people continually throw its way.

3.51/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to griffeyb for throwing this one in as an extra. Long time want

A - Straight up solid IPA: honey colored with a nice bubbly head that retains very well with a thin cap. The head saves the beer

S - Sweet malts. Not much going on, but what is going on is strong: huge citric hops and an aspirin-like mineral element. Slightly grassy. Caramely alcohol.

T - Huge bitterness that is reminiscent of pomelo rind and ruby red grapefruit, good malt backbone. Nice dryness, which definitely gets points in my book

M - Smooth and medium bodied with a very nice lively carbonation.

Been wanting to try this for a while, and it is solid, but not all the way good. I think that it may be just a little past its prime.

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a 16oz. pint glass

A - Orange haze in color. Good head with nice lacing

S - A wonderful resin hop smell with hints of fruit

T - A powerful hop & pineapple explosion with a strong, yet drinkable, hop finish.

M - A perfect mouth feel for the beer. Crisp and hoppy, yet for a 7.5% ABV, it has an excellent and smooth finish.

O - I would love to drink this beer again. Although sadly I don't see myself drinking it. I was travelling to Pittsburgh and was given it at a party in exchange for a heady topper. I would recommend this beer to anyone and everyone. Definitely one of my favorites.

3.89/5  rDev -10.4%

Big old thanks to alelover for yet another big want of mine!

Bright honey golden body capped with an off-white rocky set of carb that retains very well.

Big, juicy citrus hops dominate the nose... no shortage of abrasive bitterness... orange peel and grapefruit... just a slight suggestion of tropical fruit.

The first thing I notice here is how the milky head really makes this enjoyable to drink, I've got a nice beer-stache going at the moment. The hop presence is intense... sharp, dry hop bite that leaves hardly enough room for the sweet citrus flavors beneath. Malts a non-existent. I like this one but the bitterness is overwhelming in my opinion.

Very glad to finally get to try this one!

4.64/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.
Bottled on 5/22/13. 3 days old.

Appearance-pours apricot with a one finger white foamy head. Lots of lacing dancing about my glass. 4.25

Aroma-huge citrus hops first on the nose. Tons of grapefruit and pineapple. Very surprised how strong this is on the citrus. One of the strongest citrus aromas on a IPA
I've had. Small hints of a earthy pine and black pepper. This one is all about the citrus. 4.5

Taste-first thought is very bitter, grapefruit is again right up front but its more on the zest side. Alot of other IPA's around try to balance out the bitter with some sweet notes but this one seems in love with the bitter. Not to day it's bad, because this is turning out to be one of the best IPA's I've ever had. The taste reminds me a lot if Lagunitas Sucks only not as complex. 4.75

Feel-Medium as medium can get. Zero alcohol feel and only drys slightly. Easy to drink. 4.5

Overall-very surprised by this one. I was not expecting this much bitterness. To me this seems like a DIPA in everyway but the feel. I actually got this a big box grocery store that didn't have much of a selection, expect for this two day old IPA. Go figure. At $9.99 a four pack I can't complain at the price point either. All in all this is a truly great Ohio beer, okay, one of the best Ohio beers. 4.75

4.39/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - 12fl oz bottle

Look - Pours a mostly clear amber caramel with a nice soapy head. Nice sticky lacing. Minimal carbonation.

Smell - Deep caramel malts smoothly blended (not overly sweet) with a citrus blast overridden by big pine/resin that complements this brew quite nicely. Super smooth aroma with punch.

Taste - Malty and sweet at first, but the hops rides in immediately after, citrus and pine, then sites resin/pine on the top of the tongue. My preferred kind of hop bite here with a nice hearty undercarriage. For its style it certainly has a heck of a hop blast. I enjoyed letting this one warm up a bit because it changed over the hops a little, more juicy citrus less bitter pine and resin.

Mouthfeel - The maltiness gives it a little bit of stickiness, and on the other end the hops remind you that they mean business, which is a nice blend. Somewhat boozy and a little sweet, decent here. Decent drinkability.

Overall - This one might take a little time to get the most out of, let it warm up a little and take your time to notice the different parts of the taste wave. Sounds weird but this one is both hearty and smooth at the same time. It might not be best-in-class but I would recommend it for sure, quite unique in regards to what I have had so far.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Witty artwork, bottling date clearly stamped on the neck of the bottle, 5/13/13, six days ago!
Moderate pour into the new Dogfish/SN IPA glass, clean, golden hue, eggshell white head that lingers for less than a minute, light lacing.

HUGE pine aroma, subtle sweetness, fruit and grass.

Like licking a Christmas tree... This one grabs you by the tongue and slaps you in the face. A real shock to the palate. More pine, earthy, cheek puckering bitterness. Yum. There is lemon in there somewhere... if there are malt notes to be found, I'm not finding them. Alcohol is well hidden.

Carbonation is relatively smooth, not overly intense, which is good because I don't think my mouth could handle it. Goes down nice, to say the least.

After drinking this beer, the thought of it alone will make your mouth water. Any hop junkie will find their fix here.

4.41/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2 four packs brought to NC by a friend after having had one before and really liking it.

Out of the bottle in a tulip

A: Golden beauty with half inch head and light lacing

S: Huge nose that you get as soon as you pop the cap. Floral notes and BIG CITRUS

T: Up front bite from hops but on my palate more of the sharp citrus/grapefruit than the pine/resin. Explodes in the mouth then finishes lighter.

M: On the drier side to me

O: Absolutely loved it. Very similar to Lagunitas Sucks. 7.5% Alcohol is completely hidden and dangerous. Wish it was in NC.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle from Ridglens poured into a wine tasting glass

Appearance: Pours a deep orange color with a 1" slightly offwhite head that dissipates over a few minutes into a 1/8" ring around the edge of the glass

Smell: The aroma does not burst from the glass, but what there is has a sweet, piney smell. There is a light citrus aroma but to be honest it is overwhelmed by the piney character in the smell, with a little bit of malt character lingering in the back.

Taste: The taste is predominantly pine just as with the nose, but there is no sweetness to the taste. There is a little bit of grapefruit and citrus zest character that becomes more prominent as it warms. Really nice balance between the malt and hop character. The bitterness hits fairly quickly and lingers on the palate, but does not overwhelm the subtle hop flavors in the beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is very smooth, with perfect carbonation. I can't find any faults with it. It retains head well and lends to a nice creamy texture.

Overall: Really good west coast IPA but to be great I would have wanted the aromas and flavors to just burst out of the glass, which does not happen on this one. Awesome overall though and a beer worthy of it's reputation.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled served in a weizen glass

Clear amber copper with fluffy 3 finger khaki head with great retention and fluffy cloud sticky lacing on the sides. Aroma full of intense grapefruit, citrus, pineapple, lemon zest, and some piney resin, quite pungent!

Taste is a citrus lovefest with sweet grapefruit, apricot, lemon, orange peel at the forefront. I get a touch of pine but not much. The malt backbone masterfully balances the complex citrus bitter hop notes and the whole arrangement is bold but never off putting.

Medium to light body, moderate carbonation.

Even the wife said, I can see myself getting used to this, I really enjoyed this IPA, will seek it out and hop to try this one on tap sometime!

4.29/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Teku glass.

A: Pours an almost amber golden color with two fingers of fluffy head. Very good retention and generous lacing.

S: Mostly pine but some floral hoppy notes, with a strong undertone of caramel.

T: Pine-forward hopiness with generous caramel malt backbone, decently well integrated, finishing with a moderate bitterness and pretty dry.

M: Medium body and light, soft carbonation. Hides the ABV well.

O: Very tasty and highly drinkable. I would love to have regular access to this.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

poured 12oz bottle into snifter.

A - Pours a light amber color with a full 2 finger white head that retains and falls into a collar. Thick webbed lacing clings to my glass.

S - Big Citrus hop aroma that has tons of grapefruit notes, pineapple and orange. A nice sweet honey and bread aroma with hints of caramel round it off.

T - Starts off with the bitter grapefruit with sweetness of pineapple and orange. Nice malt notes of bread, honey, and caramel to beat the bitterness back. The end is mostly bitter pine and grapefruit. It is superb.

M - Medium body and carbonation with a good amount of lingering bitterness.

O - An excellent IPA that Ohio should be proud of. I can see why this won some medals. It was worth trading for.

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy golden amber with a two finger frothy white head that fades slowly leaving moderate lacing.

Aroma of citrus, grass and floral hops.

Taste follows the nose with grapefruit and a very strong floral hp domination with hints of pine.

Mouth Feel is medium body, moderate carbonation, crisp, dry and a strong bitterness all the way thru.

Overall this is an excellent IPA , I'm not a big IPA fan, but this is a very enjoyable beer that I highly recommend.

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a slighty clear amber-ish color with a soapy white head. Lacing relatively average in the tulip glass, but there are more important attributes to IPA than lacing.

The nose is snappy, lots of grapefruit rind and pith,herbal and piney, rich aroma. Taste is heavy on the grapefruit but in a good balanced way, also there is a sort of savory rather than sweet vibe going on overall. I'd say the taste pretty well matches the nose, which is rock solid.

A hefty medium for the body with the carbonation pretty lively but not overly aggressive. The hops are pretty chewy and the bitter aftertaste is one of a quality IPA that is quite drinkable but by no means light in any respect.

Very solid IPA worthy of the award winning status and favorable ratings, definitely worth a try if you can get this one.

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a beautiful clean copper/amber in color with 2 fingers of frothy off-white head, lots of visible carbonation and excellent lacing. the smell is wonderful, tons of cascade/centennial west coast piney hops, a really nice caramel profile, grapefruit scent is very present. a wonderful sweet malty experience with blasts of grapefruit citrus and piney/floral hops.. this tastes sooo fresh it's ridiculous. medium body with moderate carbonation.. creamy on the lips, but goes down nice and easy making it an extremely refreshing ipa.

i love this beer. definitely worth the trade i did (1 2011 DFH WWS for 4pk of this and 2 white rajah). everything about this beer is excellent from its appearance down to the way it tingles your palate is damn close to perfection.

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon