Hop JuJu Imperial IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Hop JuJu Imperial IPAHop JuJu Imperial IPA

Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: AltBock on 09-26-2009

The magical hops cast their spell, the natives chant and the drums beat... First let us confirm that there is no witchcraft used in creating this fine brew. None. Really. Well maybe a little. A supernatural beer with a powerhouse of hops creating aromas and flavors of citrus, pine and tropical fruit with a juicy resiny hop finish. Hakuna Matata.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,364 | Reviews: 184
Reviews by Davihaw:
3.75/5  rDev -16.3%

The aroma on this beer is unbelievable... the best thing I have ever smelled in my life. Tastes like heaven. Exceptionally crafted beer. If the hop goddess has nipples, this is the milk.

Been waiting to try this beer for a long time, I usually catch every specialty release at Fathead's Pittsburgh but this one has always eluded me. I was thrilled to hear that it won this year's GABF Gold medal, and it beat my favorite 3F's Permanent Funeral out in blind tastings. This sample is super fresh bottled on 2/13/14...I love the packaging and the artwork on the label..."a supernatural beer".

Pours into a Fathead's Head Hunter pint glass glowing orange copper with a big white head filling up past the rim of the glass. Big chunks of sporadic lacing, aromatics hit hard with dank resinous hops everything I love about Head Hunter and then some, this time around there's grapefruit peel, tropical passionfruit notes, hop resins it's like diving into a bale of dried hops...what a great smelling DIPA. That happens to drink as easily as a single IPA.

Let's talk about flavors...layered resins of hop oils take on the palate, bringing lime/grapefruit citrus pith, dank cannabis oils, tropical fruit (think papaya/passionfruit combo), just an unrelenting level of hop bitterness that actually hits the palate in all the right ways! It comes off balanced not sugar coated hops, or caramelized sugars just a depth of malt presence and hop burps come of your nares after a few sips. Truly magnificent DIPA, to make something this drinkable, critics complain about 13.99 a 4 pack it's a bargain with the quality and amount of hops used in this offering. Alcohol definitely has a presence but it doesn't burn, it seems to be balanced into the combination of big malt and extraordinary hop components but be warned this beer is 9% abv and 100 walloping IBUs!

Matt Cole has quickly become a presence in the craft beer world after honing his skills at Rocky River in Ohio, he had a transcending meet up with Glen Benigni (excuse spelling) the founder of Fat Head's Pittsburgh which lead to a brewpub in New Olmstead, Ohio which lead to the production brewery pumping out bottles and very soon cans from Fathead's. The first time I visited Fathead's New Olmstead, it was a couple years ago Matt was loading his vehicle with GABF medals at that time...I am grateful to be close enough and part of the experience and I'm proud to see a somewhat local brewer/franchise gaining such deserved recognition for their talent, hardwork, and passion.

Sorry about the long review that pretty much pays homage to one of my favorite brewers in the world, but the mouthfeel on this beer is perfect with big hop oils gliding across the palate, creamy texture hop layers just so easy going down this beer is truly ridiculous!

Overall, a beer I can't live without now that I've tasted it, it best become part of their rotation if it doesn't we are all going to be let down, but the adds I've seen recently for Fathead's represents that this beer is going to be a standby offering, if not I really hope to see the next release come sooner than later. I wasn't being greedy I plan on sharing, and yes I grabbed the last 11 bottles available at my local! That's how rare this beer is!!!

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Thank you very much @FlakyBiscuit for these! Although he has created an addict now....

I find it very difficult to rate this because I have never had this much "gushing" to do. I really don't want to come off as melodramatic or like I am a fanboy, but this one just floored me.

Okay, looked like a beer dream. Clear, golden and just the right amount of bubble swimmers joining the most picture perfect DIPA head I've ever seen. Solid 3/4" of slightly off-cream fluff that lent itself to definition perfect lacing.

The aroma and taste are so similar that they become one thing. Fruity, piney and just the most delicate amount of sweetness to balance out the muted grapefruit bitterness on finish. Wow. I cannot put to words the majesty of the taste this has. I can only describe it as very similar to the fist time I had Hopslam (like 5 years ago maybe?) only without the cloyingly sweet aftertaste. And drinkable? No heat whatsoever and for a big beer, I could just gulp this like water.

I've yet to try Pliny, but based on every other DIPA I have had, this one has no peer.

My all time favorite Beer

4.68/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.73/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.37/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

4.75/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is one of my absolute favorite IIPAs . Huge citrisy, hoppy start and a mild almost malty finnish

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

on draft in 12oz snifter glass

4.75/5  rDev +6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hop JuJu Imperial IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon