Hop JuJu Imperial IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Hop JuJu Imperial IPAHop JuJu Imperial IPA

Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: AltBock on 09-26-2009

The magical hops cast their spell, the natives chant and the drums beat... First let us confirm that there is no witchcraft used in creating this fine brew. None. Really. Well maybe a little. A supernatural beer with a powerhouse of hops creating aromas and flavors of citrus, pine and tropical fruit with a juicy resiny hop finish. Hakuna Matata.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,433 | Reviews: 193
Reviews by PhilDaBrewer:

The aroma on this beer is unbelievable... the best thing I have ever smelled in my life. Tastes like heaven. Exceptionally crafted beer. If the hop goddess has nipples, this is the milk.

Been waiting to try this beer for a long time, I usually catch every specialty release at Fathead's Pittsburgh but this one has always eluded me. I was thrilled to hear that it won this year's GABF Gold medal, and it beat my favorite 3F's Permanent Funeral out in blind tastings. This sample is super fresh bottled on 2/13/14...I love the packaging and the artwork on the label..."a supernatural beer".

Pours into a Fathead's Head Hunter pint glass glowing orange copper with a big white head filling up past the rim of the glass. Big chunks of sporadic lacing, aromatics hit hard with dank resinous hops everything I love about Head Hunter and then some, this time around there's grapefruit peel, tropical passionfruit notes, hop resins it's like diving into a bale of dried hops...what a great smelling DIPA. That happens to drink as easily as a single IPA.

Let's talk about flavors...layered resins of hop oils take on the palate, bringing lime/grapefruit citrus pith, dank cannabis oils, tropical fruit (think papaya/passionfruit combo), just an unrelenting level of hop bitterness that actually hits the palate in all the right ways! It comes off balanced not sugar coated hops, or caramelized sugars just a depth of malt presence and hop burps come of your nares after a few sips. Truly magnificent DIPA, to make something this drinkable, critics complain about 13.99 a 4 pack it's a bargain with the quality and amount of hops used in this offering. Alcohol definitely has a presence but it doesn't burn, it seems to be balanced into the combination of big malt and extraordinary hop components but be warned this beer is 9% abv and 100 walloping IBUs!

Matt Cole has quickly become a presence in the craft beer world after honing his skills at Rocky River in Ohio, he had a transcending meet up with Glen Benigni (excuse spelling) the founder of Fat Head's Pittsburgh which lead to a brewpub in New Olmstead, Ohio which lead to the production brewery pumping out bottles and very soon cans from Fathead's. The first time I visited Fathead's New Olmstead, it was a couple years ago Matt was loading his vehicle with GABF medals at that time...I am grateful to be close enough and part of the experience and I'm proud to see a somewhat local brewer/franchise gaining such deserved recognition for their talent, hardwork, and passion.

Sorry about the long review that pretty much pays homage to one of my favorite brewers in the world, but the mouthfeel on this beer is perfect with big hop oils gliding across the palate, creamy texture hop layers just so easy going down this beer is truly ridiculous!

Overall, a beer I can't live without now that I've tasted it, it best become part of their rotation if it doesn't we are all going to be let down, but the adds I've seen recently for Fathead's represents that this beer is going to be a standby offering, if not I really hope to see the next release come sooner than later. I wasn't being greedy I plan on sharing, and yes I grabbed the last 11 bottles available at my local! That's how rare this beer is!!!

4.57/5  rDev +2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Chimay glass (bottled on 2/18/15, had on 3/18/15)

A: Nice burnished copper body with a three finger head that likes to linger with some lacing.
S: This is just straight papaya. Like a goddamn fruit salad. Tropical Island in a glass.
T: Tons of flavor from tons of hops. Surprisingly balanced but still a ton of pine and resin, especially on the backside.
M: Perfect level of carbonation for this beer. Just a bit of fuzz that just tickles the tongue and spreads the flavor.
O: 100 IBUs and 9% ABV goes a long way. This one produces some delicious burps. Pick one up!

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Thank you very much @FlakyBiscuit for these! Although he has created an addict now....

I find it very difficult to rate this because I have never had this much "gushing" to do. I really don't want to come off as melodramatic or like I am a fanboy, but this one just floored me.

Okay, looked like a beer dream. Clear, golden and just the right amount of bubble swimmers joining the most picture perfect DIPA head I've ever seen. Solid 3/4" of slightly off-cream fluff that lent itself to definition perfect lacing.

The aroma and taste are so similar that they become one thing. Fruity, piney and just the most delicate amount of sweetness to balance out the muted grapefruit bitterness on finish. Wow. I cannot put to words the majesty of the taste this has. I can only describe it as very similar to the fist time I had Hopslam (like 5 years ago maybe?) only without the cloyingly sweet aftertaste. And drinkable? No heat whatsoever and for a big beer, I could just gulp this like water.

I've yet to try Pliny, but based on every other DIPA I have had, this one has no peer.

My all time favorite Beer

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is one of my absolute favorite IIPAs . Huge citrisy, hoppy start and a mild almost malty finnish

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

on draft in 12oz snifter glass

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into tuliped pint glass. Date of review is 2/14/14 (Valentine's Day)

Appearance- Hard pour leads to a finger and a half of creamy white head. Head fades slowly and leaves great lacing. This beer looks like a brand, spanking-new, penny.

Smell- I get mango, kiwi and honey right away. This is followed by pear and white grapes. Really hoping it taste like it smells.

Taste- Way more bitter than I had anticipated. I know I know, it's an imperial IPA what do I expect. The nose is so complex and so beautiful, I just expected more then bitter hops on the tongue. I am starting to detect tropical fruits and strawberries.

Mouthfeel- This 9% beer goes down smoother than lemonade on a hot August day. This is, by far, the smoothest 9%+ beer I have ever enjoyed. A bit thinner than I have come to expect from the style, but does not detract from the quality whatsoever.

Overall- I bought a whole case at the release party and I would do it again! So freaking good! I always judge a beer on if I would trade/pay shipping for it and the answer for this beer is YES.

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle aggressively poured into a tulip

A - A crystal clear deep copper. Big 2 finger head with an off white head and soapy bubbles. Head dissipates fairly quickly.

S - BIG aggressive nose. I get dank first with a touch of pine and citrus in the background.

T - It follows the nose pretty closely except the citrus is overshadowing the pine. I don't think I've ever had a beer so aggressively hoppy. It's glorious.

M - Easily the worst part of the beer. Aggressively bitter that lingers on the tongue with a super dry finish.

O - The nose and the taste are truly top notch but the very bitter finish is frustrating. It's the only thing keeping this beer from the truly elite of the elite.

4.24/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fatheads Hop Juju

A reckless use of hops

Poured into pint glass

A: Orange sunset glow. Some floaties too, I like to see that.

S: Caramel, pine, and very pungent citrus notes of mango, grapefruit and pineapple

T: This is a tough one for me. It's very good but also unique in taste. Warming start to finish. Pine up front and citrus in the end. Has a caramel sweetness too it as well.

M: Medium to full bodied and very sticky

O: Eh' . . . Juju didn't quite live up to the hype for me but still an excellent dipa. Just look at the scores it's getting. I think I like Headhunter a little bit more but so what ! Hop heads will not be dissapointed. What a great time to be a Buckeye ! Ohio is turning out some SOLID ipa's right now . . . Juju, White Rajah, Chillwave, Headhunter, Bodhi . . . etc . . . etc . . . Ohio is hangin' right in there with the boys from Cali, Michigan and Vermont. Step for step. Take notice.

4.44/5  rDev -0.9%

Well another phenomenal Fat Head effort at the Double IPA festival.

Looks like a Pliny clone, its light in appearance. That is the only thing it is "light" in. Massive grapefruit hop aromas. The best. Taste is more of the same, but without any heavy malt bill, or feeling of unbalanced bitterness. Bitterness subsides before its even there. Delicious.

Mouthfeel, relatively straightforward, there is no evolution here, which is good, because its phenomenal from the first waft. Could drink this all day.

4.24/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hop Juju is a clear dark orange color, like crystalized burnt amber. The head is off-white and plenty creamy. It rises to one finger in height and retains about half of that for the duration of the session, leaving good webbing interconnecting the lace.
Let it never be said that Fat Heads is every shy with the hops. This one's big in both aroma and flavor with a mingling of the earthier, more elemental as well as the fresher and brighter. It brings lots of grapefruit peel and pine resin, very floral up front giving way to those elements, some sharp cheese in the middle, with the tang, bite and leathery quality of dried tobacco leaf rounding out an interesting complexity. It's a hop bomb for sure, but some bready malts and caramel add the balance it needs. It also has a lot of heavy dankness in it. Tropical fruits come in and draw out into the finish, where it seems the caramel goes a little buttery as it meets it.
The raw bitterness brings out a certain dryness, but it has a lot evening it out to semi-dry. The crispness bites moderately and for the long-term, while it remains smooth into the lingering, almost herbal finish.

4.49/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Candied oranges, pineapple & sticky tropical fruit. Guava Guava Guava.

This beer was bottled roughly 46 days ago. (2/12/2015) The malts have become more prominent in this beer I'm assuming than when it was a few weeks old. A very, very good DIPA. If I lived in , Ohio or.had this uber fresh, I'm positive my score would have been higher and the hops brighter.

I'll re-review when that happens.

4.32/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

exceptional beer. lives up to all the hysteria.
a bit boozy at the end, but its in a tasteful manner.

4.77/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle poured into snifter

A: very light amber color with perfect clarity nice head that slowly drops down into a small ring

S: beautiful tangerine rich pine softer lemon and a little spice with some grass

T: such a beautiful mixture between piney and super fruity with a nice spiciness and malty crackery finish

M: fairly light with a little bit of syrupy ness

O: This beer is so good it's an over the top DIPA it's so fruity with a great pine presence and a nice slight spice kick to it. I do advise to drink thus at a touch colder at complete room temp the booze tries to sneak out a little.

4.59/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very clear, active, golden amber brew. Topped by a decent snow-white head, with great retention and leaving nice flat fields of lacing.

Super resinous hoppy aroma! Pine resin, dank notes, pepper, and a touch each of juicy tropical fruits and citrus peel. No malt beyond a light, grainy cracker scent.

Flavor is just as balanced and complex as the aroma: citrus and tropical fruit and peel up front, along with wildflower honey, pine resin, and a bready maltiness (that had eluded me in the aroma); super dank, resinous, and flowery finish with a touch of pepper.

Very slick, active mouthfeel, minor sting, medium bodied, with a fairly long, oily finish. Lasting bitterness, leaving a kiss of citrus peel and herbs along the gums long after the taste has otherwise faded from the tongue. 9% ABV carries some heft, without sacrificing drinkability.

Wow, this is really an impressive brew, reminiscent of PtE in many ways.

4.32/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Good beer but I enjoy Fatheads IPA better.

3.05/5  rDev -31.9%

Didnt really impress me or blow me away. Tasted like a typical DIPA that I've had a thousand times before. Didnt really get any specific hop character - citrus, pine, etc....Was a little sweet up front and had some hop bite in the back. Mediocre beer for me at best. Not sure what all the hype is about.

4.1/5  rDev -8.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep orange. Small white head. Leggy with some sticky lacing. Wispy surface.

Smell - Grapefruit and herbal hops. Smells kinda dank. Deep caramel.

Taste - Brighter hop flavor. Orange hops. A little herbal, but much less. Builds into a grapefruit bitterness. Caramel maltiness, but not too sweet.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, pushing medium heavy for a DIPA. Bitterness balances the residual sugars.

Overall - I wasn't blown away until I finished my pour and realized I had drank the whole thing before finishing my review. Greater than the sum of its parts.

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip shaped glass. Date on bottle is a bit f'd up but i think it says 2/13/14 which would make it about 3 weeks old.

The appearance is great, white, 1 inch head, semi-transparent light copper color with lacing all the way down. Smells like a mass of fruit, melon, grapefruit and random citrus, amazing. Taste is right there, super fruity and delicious. Plenty of carbonation but still smooth on the tongue. Better before it warmed. Overall this is prolly a top-five beer, right there with "Lunch", "Another One", "Sculpin" and the like of super fruity beers. Cheers.

4.73/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served in a tulip at Yellow Brick Pizza on 2/20/14. Reviewed from notes, with updates from recent tastings. The appearance is a beautiful combination of amber and orange with a touch of haziness to it. The head was minimized by the bartender, but I could see a nice thick, white head during the pouring process.

The nose is absolutely overpowering, as it is noticeable even from a few feet away. It smells strongly of pine and citrus, with dank and resinous notes also present, and just a touch of sweet caramel. The taste brings more of the citrus into play, as it is the overwhelming flavor here. The pine is still present, but this starts and finishes with the citrus. There's a slight trace of the sweet malt coming through, but it's quickly pushed away.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with good levels of carbonation. It isn't overly drinkable for the style, and finished slightly drier than expected. Overall, this is a wonderful DIPA, and almost worth the hype it received. The aroma is by far the best feature, as it keeps drawing you in for more.

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Golden clear

S - Holy Jesus you can actually smell the fresh hops like they are about to sprout from the bottle. One of the most citric hopped smelling beers Ive had.. Comparable to Heady

T - Delicious resiny hop forward with a malt chaser

F - fine liquid sunshine, slight rear of throat burn on initial taste (could be the Alc or it could be the nectar of the hop gods)

O - Send me more, Ohio has two things going for it. Hop JuJu and Bodhi need to get them both wherever you are

4.73/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter

Pours a glowing deep copper with a slight haze. One finger of dense, creamy off-white head eventually recedes to a thin collar with oily lacing. I can tell the way this flows into my glass it's going to be big and sticky. Smells like a grapefruit tree making sweet love to an aromatic young pine in a field of wildflowers. Or so I imagine.

First impression on the tongue is slightly sweet with a bit of pineapple, mango, and orange. That doesn't last long, as intense pine resin rushes to the forefront. Sharp biting citrus takes over from there, with more tropical fruit along for the ride. The finish is long and juicy, and leaves me feeling like I just bit into a grapefruit. As good as it tastes, the body really makes this beer for me. It's oily and coats the palate with all the bittering goodness the flavors have to offer.

The total package this beer brings to the table is utterly impressive. When I'm in the mood for a good kick in the teeth by a hop bomb, JuJu is nearly unrivaled. The way it packages big juicy tropical flavors with intense bitterness is a thing of beauty.

4.14/5  rDev -7.6%

An interesting double IPA with a very malty edge and bitter finish. Smells of floral hops, much caramel and honey and autumn mornings. Taste is very caramelly and sweet. Honestly it smells a lot better than the taste. JuJu goes down smooth but comes back for a bitter bite that allows you to really feel the alcohol. Two pints though and I felt like I had a full meal. Overall I would say it was quite good but a bit too rich and bitter.

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pretty, golden orange with a half inch off-white head. Some lacing is left behind. Smells of citrus fruits, honey sweetness, and some floral/resin hop flavors. Taste is the same as the aroma. Smooth across the tongue, not overly bitter, but a bit sticky on the lips. Overall, a great new offering and I'm glad I was able to give this a try!

to view more.