Follow our progress ...

Hop JuJu Imperial IPAHop JuJu Imperial IPA

Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon
Ohio, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The magical hops cast their spell, the natives chant and the drums beat... First let us confirm that there is no witchcraft used in creating this fine brew. None. Really. Well maybe a little. A supernatural beer with a powerhouse of hops creating aromas and flavors of citrus, pine and tropical fruit with a juicy resiny hop finish. Hakuna Matata.

Added by AltBock on 09-26-2009

Reviews: 236 | Ratings: 1,934

Re-reviewing this beer again. Because it's a goddamn juggernaut of hoppy orgasmic goodness. I think I'm going to be broke before the local juju dispencery runs out of my "medicine". Hops galore.
And I honestly can not think of a better beverage to sip as I read a good book before bed. I am giddy with girlish glee. It's like sparkles and stickers and ponies and shit. But before in done giving this beer it's due fellatio I must say thank you to the fat man.

Been waiting to try this beer for a long time, I usually catch every specialty release at Fathead's Pittsburgh but this one has always eluded me. I was thrilled to hear that it won this year's GABF Gold medal, and it beat my favorite 3F's Permanent Funeral out in blind tastings. This sample is super fresh bottled on 2/13/14...I love the packaging and the artwork on the label..."a supernatural beer".

Pours into a Fathead's Head Hunter pint glass glowing orange copper with a big white head filling up past the rim of the glass. Big chunks of sporadic lacing, aromatics hit hard with dank resinous hops everything I love about Head Hunter and then some, this time around there's grapefruit peel, tropical passionfruit notes, hop resins it's like diving into a bale of dried hops...what a great smelling DIPA. That happens to drink as easily as a single IPA.

Let's talk about flavors...layered resins of hop oils take on the palate, bringing lime/grapefruit citrus pith, dank cannabis oils, tropical fruit (think papaya/passionfruit combo), just an unrelenting level of hop bitterness that actually hits the palate in all the right ways! It comes off balanced not sugar coated hops, or caramelized sugars just a depth of malt presence and hop burps come of your nares after a few sips. Truly magnificent DIPA, to make something this drinkable, critics complain about 13.99 a 4 pack it's a bargain with the quality and amount of hops used in this offering. Alcohol definitely has a presence but it doesn't burn, it seems to be balanced into the combination of big malt and extraordinary hop components but be warned this beer is 9% abv and 100 walloping IBUs!

Matt Cole has quickly become a presence in the craft beer world after honing his skills at Rocky River in Ohio, he had a transcending meet up with Glen Benigni (excuse spelling) the founder of Fat Head's Pittsburgh which lead to a brewpub in New Olmstead, Ohio which lead to the production brewery pumping out bottles and very soon cans from Fathead's. The first time I visited Fathead's New Olmstead, it was a couple years ago Matt was loading his vehicle with GABF medals at that time...I am grateful to be close enough and part of the experience and I'm proud to see a somewhat local brewer/franchise gaining such deserved recognition for their talent, hardwork, and passion.

Sorry about the long review that pretty much pays homage to one of my favorite brewers in the world, but the mouthfeel on this beer is perfect with big hop oils gliding across the palate, creamy texture hop layers just so easy going down this beer is truly ridiculous!

Overall, a beer I can't live without now that I've tasted it, it best become part of their rotation if it doesn't we are all going to be let down, but the adds I've seen recently for Fathead's represents that this beer is going to be a standby offering, if not I really hope to see the next release come sooner than later. I wasn't being greedy I plan on sharing, and yes I grabbed the last 11 bottles available at my local! That's how rare this beer is!!!

For me tbis beer is as good as it gets. It's so juicy and fruity. Tons of flavor that just keeps coming. Perfection!!!!! If you can get your hands on tbis beer do so. You won't be let down.

12oz bottle that was bottled on 2/10/16 poured into tulip glass:

Look: Pours a clear orange/amber color with about an inch of head with nice lacing present.

Smell: Citrus, grapefruit, pine, tropical fruits.

Taste: Dank awesomeness! Super fresh with plenty of citrus and pine but not overly bitter and well balanced!

Feel: Medium bodied. Crisp and refreshing!

Overall: One of the best double IPAs I have ever had! Fat Heads can do no wrong with their hoppy beers as every single one I have had has been fantastic. I highly recommend at least picking up a 4 pack of this one if its still available as this brew is highly sought after and sells out quickly!

This is beer is simply remarkable. For me it captures everything a DIPA should. The color is vibrant golden red (found myself gravitating towards as if I was a bug heading into a bug zapper.

The nose on this beer was like being hit in the face with citrus orgy (everyone was invited; pineapple, passion fruit, grapefruit, mango...ect). Just absolutely the perfect smell for an IPA lover.

The body was silky smooth with a nice thickness to it, but maintened a good temp and feel thought the glass.

The taste was piney, citrus and just the right of bitterness. For being a 100 IBU it drank like a 60 in the hop forward portion. The perfect amount of malty goodness I am sure kept this big IPA from being liquid hop juice, but nonetheless, the hop and malt and sweetness all balance out very well.

Hands down one of the best beers I have ever drank. Comparable to heady, pliney, surly abrasive or hopslam. I bought a case and brought back home. I'll have to see the bottle taste since my experience was draft and the brewery.

The aroma on this beer is unbelievable... the best thing I have ever smelled in my life. Tastes like heaven. Exceptionally crafted beer. If the hop goddess has nipples, this is the milk.

I live in California. There is no reason why I have any prejudice for or against this beer. It's a matter of tasting it and providing a review.

This beer exceeded my expectations.

A - Beautiful golden amber on the dark side hinting at the alcohol content and flavor.

S - Before I tool a sip, I was greeted by outgoing tropical aromas. Sweet mango, apple, plum, citrus just pulling me in...

T - Deep tropical flavors that tasted fresh and sweet on my palette. It challenges on the front with sweet and tropical and on the back with a light syrup malt and fleeting bitter. This boys and girls is how a balanced Imperial IPA beer should taste.

M - Light syrup. It was enough to linger in your mouth but not thick like a triple can be. It was not as carbonated as usual but I think this was a positive. I noticed it but did not hate it.

O - This is a World Class beer. Drink it and you will see.

This met all my qualifications on what I consider a great beer. I would not change any part of it.

This. Beer. Is. Perfect
What else can I say? The nose on this beer... Unreal! Simply the best nose I've ever experienced on any IPA. My brother has turned me onto the wondrous beers of fatheads and if they know how to do one beer right its IPAs!
Lets begin, as I said before its hands down the best nose of any IPA. I wish my house, car, work, heck that everywhere smelled like this beauty! It has strong citrus and fruity undertones. The hops come out strong on the nose, but nothing like the taste. The taste is a hop bomb citrus explosion that lingers in the mouth and throat leaving a resinous layer of hoppy goodness. We are so lucky to live so close to this amazing brewery and I cannot wait to see what else they come up with!

Had on tap. Big juicy DIPA. There's a sweetness that takes off some of the hoppy edges, while still remaining abrasive enough to remind you it's a DIPA. Delicious

The tropical aroma, light maltiness and mild bite from the boil hops is all very balanced. The alcohol takes a back seat to the wonderful hops flavor and aroma. One of the best IIPAs on the market. Too bad it is only available in February. Cheers!

This beer is incredible! It pours a beautiful orange and the nose is off the charts with tropical fruit and citrus notes. There's a bit of pine in the finish, but this is tropical all the way and hides the ABV too well!

It's incredibly easy to drink, has a nice medium body and a decent, but not overly bitter finish. Just one of the best Ohio DIPAs out there!

Fat Head's Hop Juju is a beer I have been waiting to try for a while now. It won Gold at the Great American Beer Festival in 2013 AND in 2015 for the Imperial India Pale Ale category, which was one of, if not the most crowded category in the entire competition. This 12 oz bottle was bottled on 2/12/16.

The pour is a copper amber color, with excellent clarity and a large, two finger thick tan head that compacts tight, and slowly recedes with time. The lacing is incredible on this. Very sticky...

The aroma is filled with tropical juice notes, and hints at pineapple, honey dew melon, passion fruit, ripe strawberry, white peach and sage. There is even a little garlic after it warms a bit.

The balance of this beer is impressive. There is a bitter, resinous finish which coats the mouth with hop oils, and that helps keep the honey-like fruity malt flavor in check. There are a ton of flavors here that work well together, with hints of tropical fruits, honey, pine, melon. The carbonation is perfect, (slightly sharp, more effervescent but not like a Belgian ale) helping to keep this heavy hitter moving along across the palate, and making this beer dangerously drinkable.

I'm very impressed by Fat Heads right now. They really created something that rivals the best IPA's in the world. The beer is drinkable, well-balanced, delicious, and insanely aromatic. I can't even imagine what could be possible with a food pairing for this beer.

4.99/5  rDev +12.4%

Bought a 12 oz bottle at world market.

Smell - Dank as hell, tropical citrus (mangoes, passion fruit, guava) with a side of pine. Absolutely phenomenal nose.

Taste - Malt gives this a great body for the rush of juicy fruit that comes in after and ends in a soft resiny sweet.

Mouthfeel - Almost heavy-bodied with low carbonation. resiny pine. Big beer with malt heat but super drinkable.

L - mostly amber colored with an orange tinge to it. Some white head with a bunch of lacing going on .

T - citrusy hoppy goodness. Very tropical as well as an undertone of semi-sweet malt on the finish. Simply put, perfect for a double IPA.

M - medium to full bodied. Extremely drinkabe for the 9% alcohol .no leftover alcohol feeling with this beer. Tastes as if it could be a 5 or 6% beer. Some soapy feeling but in a good way. This is my new favorite IPA.

O - my favorite new DIPA. tastes tropical and hoppy and semi sweet malt all in one. YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS BEER. it is simply phenomenal.

4.99/5  rDev +12.4%

Had a fresh bottle and had it on tap.

Appearance- nice head maybe an inch or so.

Smell- Great floral hoppy smell.

Taste- Starts off with intense hop taste. I had this very fresh and you can tell. It later fades in to a bit of a citrus and fruity smell. The finish cuts off a bit of the bitterness in a very nice and clean way. Sometimes very hoppy beers can leave with a bad after taste, that is not the case with this.

Mouthfeel- Easy to drink. Smooth and light.

Overall- I bought a case (4 pack for me the rest for friends/family and a 4 to trade), I'm probably going back to get some more for my self. This is a great imperial IPA. I'd definitely put this on or near the top of imperial IPAs.

Serving type: bottle and tap.

4.98/5  rDev +12.2%

The bottle was given to me as an extra in a trade, the date was scratched off so I'm guessing it's either past or close to past for it's prime consumption period. Regardless of this fact, this beer is the definition of a perfect IPA by my books and it shows clearly why it has won two gold medals at the GABF. I'm not going to jump into a detailed explanation of why it's so heavenly delicious, instead I want you to go out there and find it and drink it for yourself. Prost!

4.98/5  rDev +12.2%

love headhunter and when i got to try this for the first time, i was blown away! big dank nose followed up with juicy piney and dry hop taste that is out of this world. this beer will get you in trouble!

4.98/5  rDev +12.2%

Had the last glass on tap after rushing home from work. Was the best beer of the night.

A-Deep orange color, poured into a tulip glass, had the requisite amount of head.

S-I got some honey and some orange, sweet sweet orange.

T- Big hops, but not too big. Tasted some mango/orange combination. Got some honey at the end.

M-Feel like a double IPA, creamy and fresh.

Overall A fantastic IPA, reminded me of Hopslam, but a smoother, more fruity version. I'll need some more to be sure though.

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon - Hop JuJu Imperial IPA, poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

Look - Pours a hazy orange amber with a great soapy head that retains well and leaves tons of lacing.

Mouthfeel - Almost heavy-bodied with low carbonation. Rests a resiny pine. Big beer with malt heat but super drinkable.

Overall - Wow, I can honestly say I haven't been this blown away by a DIPA in a long time. What a great surprise and what an excellently crafted brew. 100% recommend this stellar DIPA.

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

Felt compelled to review since this is as close to perfect as you can get with a DIPA. Smell is amazing, one of the most pungent, fruity, dank beers I have ever put the sniffer to. Taste is just as good, this beer is no joke. If this beer doesn't rank in your top 10 for IPA's of all time then you should stick to coors light.

4.96/5  rDev +11.7%

first time I've tried this ale. first pour filled area with great aroma, absolutely love it. possibly the best ale I've had in years. will be heading back to their tap house for more on monday.

4.95/5  rDev +11.5%

My perfect DIPA. I had it initially extremely fresh and less than a week old. Randomly found two more bottles in a store and bought them up quick. It was still fantastic while still being a few months old. The smell is intoxicating and the hop flavor is perfect.

4.95/5  rDev +11.5%

Amazing smell. Tastes of dank hoppiness. It's in your face and takes two or three turns to appreciate. But once you figure this one out, it's the only thing you want to drink. Wish it was available year round. Similar to Head Hunter, but amplified on all levels.

4.95/5  rDev +11.5%

Served out of bottle and poured in an IPA glass.

A- dark gold with a reddish tint. Very little head.

S- A very sweet and fruity aroma with hints of strawberry, grapefruit, and lemon . probably the best smelling beer I have had up the this point.

T- A lot like the Smell very sweet and fruity at the beginning the has a smooth bitter finish. Tastes great!

M- A bitter mouthfeel, but still pretty smooth.

Overall- One of the best DIPAs I have ever had. The fruitiness and the bitter hopiness accent each other superbly.

4.93/5  rDev +11%

This is truly one of the best DIPA's I have ever had. It pours a rich and heady copper into the snifter. I have this beer in bottles and on draft. I have had several different batches in bottles. It is very consistent. First off, it is a kick you in the teeth hop bomb. Where this beer excels is the balance of malt and in your face hops while not giving off that blatant alcohol burn. This beer is fantastic. As a reference, I am a big fan of Heady Topper, Russian River, Three Floyds, Stone, Founders, and Bells. Fat Heads Head Hunter and Hop Ju Ju are just two reasons why Fat Heads is now a cult favorite.

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

Thank you very much @FlakyBiscuit for these! Although he has created an addict now....

I find it very difficult to rate this because I have never had this much "gushing" to do. I really don't want to come off as melodramatic or like I am a fanboy, but this one just floored me.

Okay, looked like a beer dream. Clear, golden and just the right amount of bubble swimmers joining the most picture perfect DIPA head I've ever seen. Solid 3/4" of slightly off-cream fluff that lent itself to definition perfect lacing.

The aroma and taste are so similar that they become one thing. Fruity, piney and just the most delicate amount of sweetness to balance out the muted grapefruit bitterness on finish. Wow. I cannot put to words the majesty of the taste this has. I can only describe it as very similar to the fist time I had Hopslam (like 5 years ago maybe?) only without the cloyingly sweet aftertaste. And drinkable? No heat whatsoever and for a big beer, I could just gulp this like water.

I've yet to try Pliny, but based on every other DIPA I have had, this one has no peer.

Hop JuJu Imperial IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon