Hop JuJu Imperial IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Hop JuJu Imperial IPAHop JuJu Imperial IPA

Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: AltBock on 09-26-2009

The magical hops cast their spell, the natives chant and the drums beat... First let us confirm that there is no witchcraft used in creating this fine brew. None. Really. Well maybe a little. A supernatural beer with a powerhouse of hops creating aromas and flavors of citrus, pine and tropical fruit with a juicy resiny hop finish. Hakuna Matata.
Ratings: 1,499 | Reviews: 200

Been waiting to try this beer for a long time, I usually catch every specialty release at Fathead's Pittsburgh but this one has always eluded me. I was thrilled to hear that it won this year's GABF Gold medal, and it beat my favorite 3F's Permanent Funeral out in blind tastings. This sample is super fresh bottled on 2/13/14...I love the packaging and the artwork on the label..."a supernatural beer".

Pours into a Fathead's Head Hunter pint glass glowing orange copper with a big white head filling up past the rim of the glass. Big chunks of sporadic lacing, aromatics hit hard with dank resinous hops everything I love about Head Hunter and then some, this time around there's grapefruit peel, tropical passionfruit notes, hop resins it's like diving into a bale of dried hops...what a great smelling DIPA. That happens to drink as easily as a single IPA.

Let's talk about flavors...layered resins of hop oils take on the palate, bringing lime/grapefruit citrus pith, dank cannabis oils, tropical fruit (think papaya/passionfruit combo), just an unrelenting level of hop bitterness that actually hits the palate in all the right ways! It comes off balanced not sugar coated hops, or caramelized sugars just a depth of malt presence and hop burps come of your nares after a few sips. Truly magnificent DIPA, to make something this drinkable, critics complain about 13.99 a 4 pack it's a bargain with the quality and amount of hops used in this offering. Alcohol definitely has a presence but it doesn't burn, it seems to be balanced into the combination of big malt and extraordinary hop components but be warned this beer is 9% abv and 100 walloping IBUs!

Matt Cole has quickly become a presence in the craft beer world after honing his skills at Rocky River in Ohio, he had a transcending meet up with Glen Benigni (excuse spelling) the founder of Fat Head's Pittsburgh which lead to a brewpub in New Olmstead, Ohio which lead to the production brewery pumping out bottles and very soon cans from Fathead's. The first time I visited Fathead's New Olmstead, it was a couple years ago Matt was loading his vehicle with GABF medals at that time...I am grateful to be close enough and part of the experience and I'm proud to see a somewhat local brewer/franchise gaining such deserved recognition for their talent, hardwork, and passion.

Sorry about the long review that pretty much pays homage to one of my favorite brewers in the world, but the mouthfeel on this beer is perfect with big hop oils gliding across the palate, creamy texture hop layers just so easy going down this beer is truly ridiculous!

Overall, a beer I can't live without now that I've tasted it, it best become part of their rotation if it doesn't we are all going to be let down, but the adds I've seen recently for Fathead's represents that this beer is going to be a standby offering, if not I really hope to see the next release come sooner than later. I wasn't being greedy I plan on sharing, and yes I grabbed the last 11 bottles available at my local! That's how rare this beer is!!!

This is the best dipa you can get-- cakes on pliny or heady

This is beer is simply remarkable. For me it captures everything a DIPA should. The color is vibrant golden red (found myself gravitating towards as if I was a bug heading into a bug zapper.

The nose on this beer was like being hit in the face with citrus orgy (everyone was invited; pineapple, passion fruit, grapefruit, mango...ect). Just absolutely the perfect smell for an IPA lover.

The body was silky smooth with a nice thickness to it, but maintened a good temp and feel thought the glass.

The taste was piney, citrus and just the right of bitterness. For being a 100 IBU it drank like a 60 in the hop forward portion. The perfect amount of malty goodness I am sure kept this big IPA from being liquid hop juice, but nonetheless, the hop and malt and sweetness all balance out very well.

Hands down one of the best beers I have ever drank. Comparable to heady, pliney, surly abrasive or hopslam. I bought a case and brought back home. I'll have to see the bottle taste since my experience was draft and the brewery.

The aroma on this beer is unbelievable... the best thing I have ever smelled in my life. Tastes like heaven. Exceptionally crafted beer. If the hop goddess has nipples, this is the milk.

Highly anticipated full Monty of hop indulgence is all that!!!

Delicious, right up there with the best of the best

I live in California. There is no reason why I have any prejudice for or against this beer. It's a matter of tasting it and providing a review.

This beer exceeded my expectations.

A - Beautiful golden amber on the dark side hinting at the alcohol content and flavor.

S - Before I tool a sip, I was greeted by outgoing tropical aromas. Sweet mango, apple, plum, citrus just pulling me in...

T - Deep tropical flavors that tasted fresh and sweet on my palette. It challenges on the front with sweet and tropical and on the back with a light syrup malt and fleeting bitter. This boys and girls is how a balanced Imperial IPA beer should taste.

M - Light syrup. It was enough to linger in your mouth but not thick like a triple can be. It was not as carbonated as usual but I think this was a positive. I noticed it but did not hate it.

O - This is a World Class beer. Drink it and you will see.

This met all my qualifications on what I consider a great beer. I would not change any part of it.

This. Beer. Is. Perfect
What else can I say? The nose on this beer... Unreal! Simply the best nose I've ever experienced on any IPA. My brother has turned me onto the wondrous beers of fatheads and if they know how to do one beer right its IPAs!
Lets begin, as I said before its hands down the best nose of any IPA. I wish my house, car, work, heck that everywhere smelled like this beauty! It has strong citrus and fruity undertones. The hops come out strong on the nose, but nothing like the taste. The taste is a hop bomb citrus explosion that lingers in the mouth and throat leaving a resinous layer of hoppy goodness. We are so lucky to live so close to this amazing brewery and I cannot wait to see what else they come up with!

Simply exceptional. Effortlessly captures what they were going for and exceeds expectation.

Great beer by Fat Heads! Can't wait to get this bad boy again next year!!

Cleveland is a great beer town, and this is my favorite Cleveland beer.

My all time favorite Beer

4.99/5  rDev +11.4%

Bought a 12 oz bottle at world market.

Smell - Dank as hell, tropical citrus (mangoes, passion fruit, guava) with a side of pine. Absolutely phenomenal nose.

Taste - Malt gives this a great body for the rush of juicy fruit that comes in after and ends in a soft resiny sweet.

Mouthfeel - Almost heavy-bodied with low carbonation. resiny pine. Big beer with malt heat but super drinkable.

L - mostly amber colored with an orange tinge to it. Some white head with a bunch of lacing going on .

T - citrusy hoppy goodness. Very tropical as well as an undertone of semi-sweet malt on the finish. Simply put, perfect for a double IPA.

M - medium to full bodied. Extremely drinkabe for the 9% alcohol .no leftover alcohol feeling with this beer. Tastes as if it could be a 5 or 6% beer. Some soapy feeling but in a good way. This is my new favorite IPA.

O - my favorite new DIPA. tastes tropical and hoppy and semi sweet malt all in one. YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS BEER. it is simply phenomenal.

4.99/5  rDev +11.4%

Had a fresh bottle and had it on tap.

Appearance- nice head maybe an inch or so.

Smell- Great floral hoppy smell.

Taste- Starts off with intense hop taste. I had this very fresh and you can tell. It later fades in to a bit of a citrus and fruity smell. The finish cuts off a bit of the bitterness in a very nice and clean way. Sometimes very hoppy beers can leave with a bad after taste, that is not the case with this.

Mouthfeel- Easy to drink. Smooth and light.

Overall- I bought a case (4 pack for me the rest for friends/family and a 4 to trade), I'm probably going back to get some more for my self. This is a great imperial IPA. I'd definitely put this on or near the top of imperial IPAs.

Serving type: bottle and tap.

4.98/5  rDev +11.2%

Had the last glass on tap after rushing home from work. Was the best beer of the night.

A-Deep orange color, poured into a tulip glass, had the requisite amount of head.

S-I got some honey and some orange, sweet sweet orange.

T- Big hops, but not too big. Tasted some mango/orange combination. Got some honey at the end.

M-Feel like a double IPA, creamy and fresh.

Overall A fantastic IPA, reminded me of Hopslam, but a smoother, more fruity version. I'll need some more to be sure though.

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon - Hop JuJu Imperial IPA, poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

Look - Pours a hazy orange amber with a great soapy head that retains well and leaves tons of lacing.

Mouthfeel - Almost heavy-bodied with low carbonation. Rests a resiny pine. Big beer with malt heat but super drinkable.

Overall - Wow, I can honestly say I haven't been this blown away by a DIPA in a long time. What a great surprise and what an excellently crafted brew. 100% recommend this stellar DIPA.

4.96/5  rDev +10.7%

Exceptional. I've had their amazing head hunter, but hop juju delivers on so many new levels. Go find it.

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Served out of bottle and poured in an IPA glass.

A- dark gold with a reddish tint. Very little head.

S- A very sweet and fruity aroma with hints of strawberry, grapefruit, and lemon . probably the best smelling beer I have had up the this point.

T- A lot like the Smell very sweet and fruity at the beginning the has a smooth bitter finish. Tastes great!

M- A bitter mouthfeel, but still pretty smooth.

Overall- One of the best DIPAs I have ever had. The fruitiness and the bitter hopiness accent each other superbly.

4.93/5  rDev +10%

This is truly one of the best DIPA's I have ever had. It pours a rich and heady copper into the snifter. I have this beer in bottles and on draft. I have had several different batches in bottles. It is very consistent. First off, it is a kick you in the teeth hop bomb. Where this beer excels is the balance of malt and in your face hops while not giving off that blatant alcohol burn. This beer is fantastic. As a reference, I am a big fan of Heady Topper, Russian River, Three Floyds, Stone, Founders, and Bells. Fat Heads Head Hunter and Hop Ju Ju are just two reasons why Fat Heads is now a cult favorite.

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Thank you very much @FlakyBiscuit for these! Although he has created an addict now....

I find it very difficult to rate this because I have never had this much "gushing" to do. I really don't want to come off as melodramatic or like I am a fanboy, but this one just floored me.

Okay, looked like a beer dream. Clear, golden and just the right amount of bubble swimmers joining the most picture perfect DIPA head I've ever seen. Solid 3/4" of slightly off-cream fluff that lent itself to definition perfect lacing.

The aroma and taste are so similar that they become one thing. Fruity, piney and just the most delicate amount of sweetness to balance out the muted grapefruit bitterness on finish. Wow. I cannot put to words the majesty of the taste this has. I can only describe it as very similar to the fist time I had Hopslam (like 5 years ago maybe?) only without the cloyingly sweet aftertaste. And drinkable? No heat whatsoever and for a big beer, I could just gulp this like water.

I've yet to try Pliny, but based on every other DIPA I have had, this one has no peer.

4.91/5  rDev +9.6%

This stuff is flat out amazing for an IPA... The appearance and smell start you off like a normal high class DIPA would. Golden in color, with wonderful tropical notes to make you anxious for that first sip. Oh my, was it a great first tip! Amazing fresh hops meets wonderful citrus and tropical flavors that balance perfectly! This beer has already skyrocketed up to my favorite DIPA and i've tried a handful of the big ones outside of Heady. I can see why this won gold at the Great American Beer Festival! I only hope Fatheads boosts production for this baby, because it is about to be the Pliny of Ohio!

4.91/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic. Easy drinking but doesn't compromise the big hop flavor. Clean finish

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

This is just one of those beers that can't get any better. All the components are there for a big West Coast style DIPA. This beer has joins the ranks of the greats in the category. Citrus, pine, smooth. It has it all. If you like HT, you will love the JuJu. For such a big beer, you cannot taste the alcohol, making this one dangerous brew. I normally don't drink a second big beer like this one after the other. I drank three. If I could, I would drink this beer everyday. It is literally liquid gold. I thank the beers gods of North Olmstead for bringing this beer to life.

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Hazy orange-amber color with a two finger off white head

Smell: As i popped the cap off the bottle i immediately knew this would be a world class beer. Right away I got huge super fresh, ripe pine aromas with a undertone of bright fruits. In the glass its more equal parts pine and bright tropical and citrus fruit along with a hint of sweet bready malt. Theres also a touch of that spicy onion aroma that burns my nose, which i get in a few Stone and Lagunitas beers for example. I thought Head Hunter had a perfect aroma, but this is otherworldly.

Taste: Yup, this is very nice. A smack in your face melody of pungent pine and bright fruit notes. I get a blast of fresh pine upfront but quickly transitions into super vibrant tropical/citrus notes. Its danker than any other DIPA iv had, and a citrus aftertaste lingers forever in a day

Mouthfeel: Id say this is heavy bodied as it really coats your mouth with a resionous feel. The bitterness carries on well throughout the aftertaste

Overall: I love head hunter and it is my go to IPA, but this right here pushes the style to another level. JuJu has the most dank, concentrated, resionous pine and tropical/citrus fruit hop aromas and flavors iv ever experienced. The lingering citrus aftertaste and bittering makes for a wonderful experience and a sip goes a long way. I can also grab these bad boys off the shelves within a week of bottling. This is one of my highest rated beers on here, and for damn sure my favorite DIPA. Fat Heads may very well brew the greatest IPA/DIPA one two punch in the country.

4.89/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Probably the best DIPA I've ever had. Bursting with flavor and aroma complete with every juicy fruit imaginable creating fruit scents and flavors that I didn't even know were possible. This beer is nearly flawless. Could not put it down, nor could I remove it from my nose. Simply perfect.

Hop JuJu Imperial IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon