Hop JuJu Imperial IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Hop JuJu Imperial IPAHop JuJu Imperial IPA

Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: AltBock on 09-26-2009

The magical hops cast their spell, the natives chant and the drums beat... First let us confirm that there is no witchcraft used in creating this fine brew. None. Really. Well maybe a little. A supernatural beer with a powerhouse of hops creating aromas and flavors of citrus, pine and tropical fruit with a juicy resiny hop finish. Hakuna Matata.
Reviews: 169 | Hads: 1,538

Been waiting to try this beer for a long time, I usually catch every specialty release at Fathead's Pittsburgh but this one has always eluded me. I was thrilled to hear that it won this year's GABF Gold medal, and it beat my favorite 3F's Permanent Funeral out in blind tastings. This sample is super fresh bottled on 2/13/14...I love the packaging and the artwork on the label..."a supernatural beer".

Pours into a Fathead's Head Hunter pint glass glowing orange copper with a big white head filling up past the rim of the glass. Big chunks of sporadic lacing, aromatics hit hard with dank resinous hops everything I love about Head Hunter and then some, this time around there's grapefruit peel, tropical passionfruit notes, hop resins it's like diving into a bale of dried hops...what a great smelling DIPA. That happens to drink as easily as a single IPA.

Let's talk about flavors...layered resins of hop oils take on the palate, bringing lime/grapefruit citrus pith, dank cannabis oils, tropical fruit (think papaya/passionfruit combo), just an unrelenting level of hop bitterness that actually hits the palate in all the right ways! It comes off balanced not sugar coated hops, or caramelized sugars just a depth of malt presence and hop burps come of your nares after a few sips. Truly magnificent DIPA, to make something this drinkable, critics complain about 13.99 a 4 pack it's a bargain with the quality and amount of hops used in this offering. Alcohol definitely has a presence but it doesn't burn, it seems to be balanced into the combination of big malt and extraordinary hop components but be warned this beer is 9% abv and 100 walloping IBUs!

Matt Cole has quickly become a presence in the craft beer world after honing his skills at Rocky River in Ohio, he had a transcending meet up with Glen Benigni (excuse spelling) the founder of Fat Head's Pittsburgh which lead to a brewpub in New Olmstead, Ohio which lead to the production brewery pumping out bottles and very soon cans from Fathead's. The first time I visited Fathead's New Olmstead, it was a couple years ago Matt was loading his vehicle with GABF medals at that time...I am grateful to be close enough and part of the experience and I'm proud to see a somewhat local brewer/franchise gaining such deserved recognition for their talent, hardwork, and passion.

Sorry about the long review that pretty much pays homage to one of my favorite brewers in the world, but the mouthfeel on this beer is perfect with big hop oils gliding across the palate, creamy texture hop layers just so easy going down this beer is truly ridiculous!

Overall, a beer I can't live without now that I've tasted it, it best become part of their rotation if it doesn't we are all going to be let down, but the adds I've seen recently for Fathead's represents that this beer is going to be a standby offering, if not I really hope to see the next release come sooner than later. I wasn't being greedy I plan on sharing, and yes I grabbed the last 11 bottles available at my local! That's how rare this beer is!!! (3,074 characters)

This is beer is simply remarkable. For me it captures everything a DIPA should. The color is vibrant golden red (found myself gravitating towards as if I was a bug heading into a bug zapper.

The nose on this beer was like being hit in the face with citrus orgy (everyone was invited; pineapple, passion fruit, grapefruit, mango...ect). Just absolutely the perfect smell for an IPA lover.

The body was silky smooth with a nice thickness to it, but maintened a good temp and feel thought the glass.

The taste was piney, citrus and just the right of bitterness. For being a 100 IBU it drank like a 60 in the hop forward portion. The perfect amount of malty goodness I am sure kept this big IPA from being liquid hop juice, but nonetheless, the hop and malt and sweetness all balance out very well.

Hands down one of the best beers I have ever drank. Comparable to heady, pliney, surly abrasive or hopslam. I bought a case and brought back home. I'll have to see the bottle taste since my experience was draft and the brewery. (1,037 characters)

The aroma on this beer is unbelievable... the best thing I have ever smelled in my life. Tastes like heaven. Exceptionally crafted beer. If the hop goddess has nipples, this is the milk. (186 characters)

I live in California. There is no reason why I have any prejudice for or against this beer. It's a matter of tasting it and providing a review.

This beer exceeded my expectations.

A - Beautiful golden amber on the dark side hinting at the alcohol content and flavor.

S - Before I tool a sip, I was greeted by outgoing tropical aromas. Sweet mango, apple, plum, citrus just pulling me in...

T - Deep tropical flavors that tasted fresh and sweet on my palette. It challenges on the front with sweet and tropical and on the back with a light syrup malt and fleeting bitter. This boys and girls is how a balanced Imperial IPA beer should taste.

M - Light syrup. It was enough to linger in your mouth but not thick like a triple can be. It was not as carbonated as usual but I think this was a positive. I noticed it but did not hate it.

O - This is a World Class beer. Drink it and you will see.

This met all my qualifications on what I consider a great beer. I would not change any part of it. (997 characters)

This. Beer. Is. Perfect
What else can I say? The nose on this beer... Unreal! Simply the best nose I've ever experienced on any IPA. My brother has turned me onto the wondrous beers of fatheads and if they know how to do one beer right its IPAs!
Lets begin, as I said before its hands down the best nose of any IPA. I wish my house, car, work, heck that everywhere smelled like this beauty! It has strong citrus and fruity undertones. The hops come out strong on the nose, but nothing like the taste. The taste is a hop bomb citrus explosion that lingers in the mouth and throat leaving a resinous layer of hoppy goodness. We are so lucky to live so close to this amazing brewery and I cannot wait to see what else they come up with! (733 characters)

This beer is incredible! It pours a beautiful orange and the nose is off the charts with tropical fruit and citrus notes. There's a bit of pine in the finish, but this is tropical all the way and hides the ABV too well! (219 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +12.1%

Bought a 12 oz bottle at world market.

Smell - Dank as hell, tropical citrus (mangoes, passion fruit, guava) with a side of pine. Absolutely phenomenal nose.

Taste - Malt gives this a great body for the rush of juicy fruit that comes in after and ends in a soft resiny sweet.

Mouthfeel - Almost heavy-bodied with low carbonation. resiny pine. Big beer with malt heat but super drinkable.

L - mostly amber colored with an orange tinge to it. Some white head with a bunch of lacing going on .

T - citrusy hoppy goodness. Very tropical as well as an undertone of semi-sweet malt on the finish. Simply put, perfect for a double IPA.

M - medium to full bodied. Extremely drinkabe for the 9% alcohol .no leftover alcohol feeling with this beer. Tastes as if it could be a 5 or 6% beer. Some soapy feeling but in a good way. This is my new favorite IPA.

O - my favorite new DIPA. tastes tropical and hoppy and semi sweet malt all in one. YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS BEER. it is simply phenomenal. (991 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +12.1%

Had a fresh bottle and had it on tap.

Appearance- nice head maybe an inch or so.

Smell- Great floral hoppy smell.

Taste- Starts off with intense hop taste. I had this very fresh and you can tell. It later fades in to a bit of a citrus and fruity smell. The finish cuts off a bit of the bitterness in a very nice and clean way. Sometimes very hoppy beers can leave with a bad after taste, that is not the case with this.

Mouthfeel- Easy to drink. Smooth and light.

Overall- I bought a case (4 pack for me the rest for friends/family and a 4 to trade), I'm probably going back to get some more for my self. This is a great imperial IPA. I'd definitely put this on or near the top of imperial IPAs.

Serving type: bottle and tap. (737 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +11.9%

Had the last glass on tap after rushing home from work. Was the best beer of the night.

A-Deep orange color, poured into a tulip glass, had the requisite amount of head.

S-I got some honey and some orange, sweet sweet orange.

T- Big hops, but not too big. Tasted some mango/orange combination. Got some honey at the end.

M-Feel like a double IPA, creamy and fresh.

Overall A fantastic IPA, reminded me of Hopslam, but a smoother, more fruity version. I'll need some more to be sure though. (495 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon - Hop JuJu Imperial IPA, poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

Look - Pours a hazy orange amber with a great soapy head that retains well and leaves tons of lacing.

Mouthfeel - Almost heavy-bodied with low carbonation. Rests a resiny pine. Big beer with malt heat but super drinkable.

Overall - Wow, I can honestly say I haven't been this blown away by a DIPA in a long time. What a great surprise and what an excellently crafted brew. 100% recommend this stellar DIPA. (735 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +11.2%

My perfect DIPA. I had it initially extremely fresh and less than a week old. Randomly found two more bottles in a store and bought them up quick. It was still fantastic while still being a few months old. The smell is intoxicating and the hop flavor is perfect. (262 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +11.2%

Served out of bottle and poured in an IPA glass.

A- dark gold with a reddish tint. Very little head.

S- A very sweet and fruity aroma with hints of strawberry, grapefruit, and lemon . probably the best smelling beer I have had up the this point.

T- A lot like the Smell very sweet and fruity at the beginning the has a smooth bitter finish. Tastes great!

M- A bitter mouthfeel, but still pretty smooth.

Overall- One of the best DIPAs I have ever had. The fruitiness and the bitter hopiness accent each other superbly. (522 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +10.8%

This is truly one of the best DIPA's I have ever had. It pours a rich and heady copper into the snifter. I have this beer in bottles and on draft. I have had several different batches in bottles. It is very consistent. First off, it is a kick you in the teeth hop bomb. Where this beer excels is the balance of malt and in your face hops while not giving off that blatant alcohol burn. This beer is fantastic. As a reference, I am a big fan of Heady Topper, Russian River, Three Floyds, Stone, Founders, and Bells. Fat Heads Head Hunter and Hop Ju Ju are just two reasons why Fat Heads is now a cult favorite. (609 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.6%

Thank you very much @FlakyBiscuit for these! Although he has created an addict now....

I find it very difficult to rate this because I have never had this much "gushing" to do. I really don't want to come off as melodramatic or like I am a fanboy, but this one just floored me.

Okay, looked like a beer dream. Clear, golden and just the right amount of bubble swimmers joining the most picture perfect DIPA head I've ever seen. Solid 3/4" of slightly off-cream fluff that lent itself to definition perfect lacing.

The aroma and taste are so similar that they become one thing. Fruity, piney and just the most delicate amount of sweetness to balance out the muted grapefruit bitterness on finish. Wow. I cannot put to words the majesty of the taste this has. I can only describe it as very similar to the fist time I had Hopslam (like 5 years ago maybe?) only without the cloyingly sweet aftertaste. And drinkable? No heat whatsoever and for a big beer, I could just gulp this like water.

I've yet to try Pliny, but based on every other DIPA I have had, this one has no peer. (1,083 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +10.3%

This stuff is flat out amazing for an IPA... The appearance and smell start you off like a normal high class DIPA would. Golden in color, with wonderful tropical notes to make you anxious for that first sip. Oh my, was it a great first tip! Amazing fresh hops meets wonderful citrus and tropical flavors that balance perfectly! This beer has already skyrocketed up to my favorite DIPA and i've tried a handful of the big ones outside of Heady. I can see why this won gold at the Great American Beer Festival! I only hope Fatheads boosts production for this baby, because it is about to be the Pliny of Ohio! (607 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +10.1%

This is just one of those beers that can't get any better. All the components are there for a big West Coast style DIPA. This beer has joins the ranks of the greats in the category. Citrus, pine, smooth. It has it all. If you like HT, you will love the JuJu. For such a big beer, you cannot taste the alcohol, making this one dangerous brew. I normally don't drink a second big beer like this one after the other. I drank three. If I could, I would drink this beer everyday. It is literally liquid gold. I thank the beers gods of North Olmstead for bringing this beer to life. (576 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Hazy orange-amber color with a two finger off white head

Smell: As i popped the cap off the bottle i immediately knew this would be a world class beer. Right away I got huge super fresh, ripe pine aromas with a undertone of bright fruits. In the glass its more equal parts pine and bright tropical and citrus fruit along with a hint of sweet bready malt. Theres also a touch of that spicy onion aroma that burns my nose, which i get in a few Stone and Lagunitas beers for example. I thought Head Hunter had a perfect aroma, but this is otherworldly.

Taste: Yup, this is very nice. A smack in your face melody of pungent pine and bright fruit notes. I get a blast of fresh pine upfront but quickly transitions into super vibrant tropical/citrus notes. Its danker than any other DIPA iv had, and a citrus aftertaste lingers forever in a day

Mouthfeel: Id say this is heavy bodied as it really coats your mouth with a resionous feel. The bitterness carries on well throughout the aftertaste

Overall: I love head hunter and it is my go to IPA, but this right here pushes the style to another level. JuJu has the most dank, concentrated, resionous pine and tropical/citrus fruit hop aromas and flavors iv ever experienced. The lingering citrus aftertaste and bittering makes for a wonderful experience and a sip goes a long way. I can also grab these bad boys off the shelves within a week of bottling. This is one of my highest rated beers on here, and for damn sure my favorite DIPA. Fat Heads may very well brew the greatest IPA/DIPA one two punch in the country. (1,577 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Probably the best DIPA I've ever had. Bursting with flavor and aroma complete with every juicy fruit imaginable creating fruit scents and flavors that I didn't even know were possible. This beer is nearly flawless. Could not put it down, nor could I remove it from my nose. Simply perfect. (293 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely outstanding beer. I poured JuJu into a 16 oz. snifter and the first thing that hit me was the aroma. It was huge amounts of a blend of citrus flavors. I had to take several smells of this before I even had my first sip, and even after, I still couldn't get enough of the smell of this beer. The taste followed the smell, with a bit of pepper as well.

Overall, this is one of my favorite, if not my favorite DIPA. I haven't had it in over a year, and I'm so happy to finally see this in bottles. Do yourself a favor, and grab as many 4 packs as you can of this stuff. It's that damn good. (599 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have had this beer before but never this fresh. 12 oz bottle with a date of 02/09/15. What can I say!? It's like drinking a mouth full of tropical fruit with a resin/piney finish. It's simply fantastic...can't wait to deliver some to MD for my brother to try it. (264 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

L: awesome
S: awesome
T: awesome
F: awesome
O: awesome
The smell of this iipa is fantastic papaya
Mango, pineapple, very tropical, and floral
Taste of the fruits are present but not sweet like the smell in a good way this is a must pick up if you can 4 pack $12.99 limit 2 (272 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

9-1-2010

Imperial snifter served at the brewpub the day after it was put on tap. Super fresh batch. Looks nice, oranger than headhunter. Some nice head that sticks to the sides. Overall, it's a nice looking beer, very west-coast inspired.

Huge tangerine and pine smells in the nose. In talking to the brewer, he mentioned CTZ hops and simcoe. You can def. pick out the spiciness of the CTZ and the slight cattiness of the simcoe. Pineapple, orange, and grapefruit. Intense and expressive. Just a touch too spicy for me.

The taste is intense and hoppy as hell. The pine and citrus flavors are lush and intense. Very bitter with just a touch of pale sweet malt underneath. This beer isn't messing around.

Medium body with nice carbonation. Overall, I liked this beer but it is ruinous and very, very brash. Not a lover, certainly a fighter. This beer will knock out your tastebuds, but it's worth getting in the ring.

Edit - the first bottled batch, released 2-2014 is much more refined, less brash, and pretty much the best beer these guys have ever made. Updated smell and taste to 5's! (1,091 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle aggressively poured into a tulip

A - A crystal clear deep copper. Big 2 finger head with an off white head and soapy bubbles. Head dissipates fairly quickly.

S - BIG aggressive nose. I get dank first with a touch of pine and citrus in the background.

T - It follows the nose pretty closely except the citrus is overshadowing the pine. I don't think I've ever had a beer so aggressively hoppy. It's glorious.

M - Easily the worst part of the beer. Aggressively bitter that lingers on the tongue with a super dry finish.
UPDATED 2015: Bitterness is toned down and the body is much creamier. Much improved on the 2014 version

O - The nose and the taste are truly top notch but the very bitter finish is frustrating. It's the only thing keeping this beer from the truly elite of the elite. (801 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Amber orange pour,slightly cloudy,1 finger of tawny head,spotty lacing.

Aroma is exceptionally juicy and bright: mango,pineapple, and orange mixed with pine and herb.

Taste is also quite juicy, tons of citrus zest and piney resin, slightly sweet and delicious.

Medium bodied, well carbonated, good bitterness, some warming in the throat from the 9% but not really detected in the flavor.

2013 Gold Medal GABF winner, and completely justified. Outstanding Imperial IPA that is well worth trying if you can find it. (517 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.9%

Thank you Nick. Pours a clear medium amber with a thin white head that settles to a foamy cap. Good lacing. Subtle aromas of tropical fruit and citrus with sweet malt notes. The taste reveals what the aroma hinted at - mango, pineapple, grapefruit up front with a bitter pine resin kick on the back end. Medium bodied with light carbonation. Very smooth and easy to drink. Overall, a top ten DIPA if I've ever had one. (418 characters)

Hop JuJu Imperial IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon