Hop JuJu Imperial IPA - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Hop JuJu Imperial IPAHop JuJu Imperial IPA

Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: AltBock on 09-26-2009

The magical hops cast their spell, the natives chant and the drums beat... First let us confirm that there is no witchcraft used in creating this fine brew. None. Really. Well maybe a little. A supernatural beer with a powerhouse of hops creating aromas and flavors of citrus, pine and tropical fruit with a juicy resiny hop finish. Hakuna Matata.
Reviews: 168 | Hads: 1,519
4.75/5  rDev +6.7%

APPEARANCE (4.5) - A honey amber of perfect clarity with half a hundred tiny, tiny bubbles crawling sleepily toward the top of the glass at any given moment. Upon a measured pour I drew half a finger of foamy, white head in a tight configuration of a myriad of those same infinitesimal bubbles. Clumps of chunky lacing clung to the edges of my tulip as I gulped this beverage down (and I indeed I did crush this magnificent beast maybe a bit too quickly).

SMELL (4.5) - A gorgeous melange of honeyed malts meets pine, orange peel, lemon zest, and green grass. The smell leans more toward the malty side, maybe like an extremely hoppy American Barleywine, but don't let that fool you...

TASTE (4.75) - She starts strong with exotic fruits and a flash of sweetness, has a long caramel malt/orange peel/orange dreamsickle middle, and finishes dry with a bit of green grass, a touch of grapefruit, and a blast of pine. Delicious.

FEEL (5.0) - This is the standard from now on for where a DIPA should be with mouthfeel for me. Big, full, but medium bodied rather than heavy and syrupy; wet and creamy up front, with a drying finish that keeps me coming back to guzzle down some more.

OVERALL (5.0) - This is just the most balanced, most polished DIPA ever to grace my lips. I had it last year, and loved it then, and this year tastes identical. I don't know why it took me this long to review the beer, but let me simply say - Fat Heads, please, never change the recipe for this beer. You nailed it. First try. I have had DIPAs I enjoy more, but they've had imbalances here and there. This is a thoroughbred with no faults and plenty of standout awesomeness. Cheers! (1,665 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +11.2%

My perfect DIPA. I had it initially extremely fresh and less than a week old. Randomly found two more bottles in a store and bought them up quick. It was still fantastic while still being a few months old. The smell is intoxicating and the hop flavor is perfect. (262 characters)

This is beer is simply remarkable. For me it captures everything a DIPA should. The color is vibrant golden red (found myself gravitating towards as if I was a bug heading into a bug zapper.

The nose on this beer was like being hit in the face with citrus orgy (everyone was invited; pineapple, passion fruit, grapefruit, mango...ect). Just absolutely the perfect smell for an IPA lover.

The body was silky smooth with a nice thickness to it, but maintened a good temp and feel thought the glass.

The taste was piney, citrus and just the right of bitterness. For being a 100 IBU it drank like a 60 in the hop forward portion. The perfect amount of malty goodness I am sure kept this big IPA from being liquid hop juice, but nonetheless, the hop and malt and sweetness all balance out very well.

Hands down one of the best beers I have ever drank. Comparable to heady, pliney, surly abrasive or hopslam. I bought a case and brought back home. I'll have to see the bottle taste since my experience was draft and the brewery. (1,037 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

L: awesome
S: awesome
T: awesome
F: awesome
O: awesome
The smell of this iipa is fantastic papaya
Mango, pineapple, very tropical, and floral
Taste of the fruits are present but not sweet like the smell in a good way this is a must pick up if you can 4 pack $12.99 limit 2 (272 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Probably the best DIPA I've ever had. Bursting with flavor and aroma complete with every juicy fruit imaginable creating fruit scents and flavors that I didn't even know were possible. This beer is nearly flawless. Could not put it down, nor could I remove it from my nose. Simply perfect. (293 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: [3.50] Pours a caramel color. There is very limited head on the pour. After a few seconds it is just a ring on the edge of the glass. The bottle has a date code that I can't figure out - but I know that it is only about a week old! Bottle lists the ABV 9.0% and IBU 100.

S: [4.25] Tropical fruits. Oranges, pineapple. Some pine. Big nose on this one.

T: [3.25] The taste deviates a little from the nose initially. I am getting quite a bit of bitter up front. After the initial bitter bite I get some of the tropical flavors. The tropical flavors are just not hitting front stage like I hoped. I read another review (I rarely do this) but the nailed the flavor "oniony". That is it exactly.

M: [3.75] The body is smooth and creamy with that bitter bite on the after taste. The alcohol is well hidden.

O: [3.75] I went to Cleveland hoping to score Chillwave (my favorite Imperial IPA) but it is not out yet. I got directed to Hop Juju by the forum. I expected really big things and I am a bit disappointed. It is decent - but it is not Chillwave. The bitter notes just club everything else down so none of the fruitiness is on the tongue. They hid the 9% really well - but that doesn't make up for the one note on the tongue. The nose gave me such high hopes - but alas the scents on the nose didn't hit the palate. (1,341 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into stemless wine glass. Bottled exactly two weeks ago (2/9/15). Purchased on a recent visit to Pittsburgh, $13.99 for a four pack.

A - Pours a bright copper with a scant eggshell head. Wisps of foam paint the glass as I drink.

S - Huge tropical hop and pine aroma, more intense than any IPA I have ever smelled. Pineapple, tangerine, and papaya all come to mind. Brown sugar malts balance the hop assault. Extremely inviting aroma.

T - Tastes of dank, ripe fruits with a nice piney backbone. It has that pungent, almost onion-y flavor that I have found in few others. A hint of sourdough bread hits midpalate. It has a honey sweetness which compliments the big oily hop flavors well. It doesn't quite live up tot he aroma, but it is still in an elite class.

M - Slick, medium-thick body with the perfect carbonation. The alcohol is remarkably well hidden. I put this bottle back a little bit too easily.

O - I was stoked to happen upon this beer in the grocery store in Pittsburgh. I ad the pleasure of trying it on draft and out of the bottle and I much preferred the bottled version. It has a distinct blend of flavors, more complex than most of the other world class rated double IPAs. The aroma is among the finest for any beer I have ever smelled. At $14/4-pack I am glad I didn't get a case, but I probably should have gotten two four packs. I highly recommend this beer, if you can get it! (1,446 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a deep orange, amber in color. Wasn't expecting it to be as dark. Aroma is strong, could smell this right away, tropical fruits, mango, peach, and some pine. Taste is delicious. Follows the smell almost completely, but less piney, which is a good thing in my book. Nicely carbed. Great job fat heads. (306 characters)

4.41/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from Joe. Thanks man. Pours beautiful deep clear copper with a creamy two finger off white head. Big juicy grapefruit aroma, some pine, onion, big florals, orange rinds. Flavor is lots of fresh orange rinds, bitter and dry, pine, sweet juicy mango all around. Body is resinous with a very dry finish like Head Hunter has, plenty of carbonation, makes you want to come back for more. Excellent brew. (405 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours very clear, and is amber in color with a reddish tint, with a medium head that does linger a bit. Smells strongly of citrus and pine. Has a strong citrus and hops taste that covers your whole mouth, very aggressive in the hops area. Overall, if you want a strong hops forward IPA this is it! (300 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Color appears very clear light amber with a 1-2 finger head that slowly subsides.

smell: citrus up front with orange, pineapple and grapefruit. piney and almost spicy backbone (maybe some pepper notes).

This one is an animal in your mouth. All the varieties of hops hit you at the front. citrus to pine to bitter. Definitely the most well versed hop heavy beers I've ever had. Truly fantastic.

Feel: decent carbonation and leaves you with an aftertaste because of the piney hops. Nothing overwhelming. Bitterness hides the ABV quite well.

Overall: Glad I snagged a 4-pk. First time trying it and will definitely buy again next year. I wasn't overly impressed with HopSlam a few weeks ago but this is a top notch beer! I'm new into brewing myself so I can't specify the different hops by their taste yet, but this beer really makes you think about the different varieties of hops and how they play a role in the beer. Well done, well done! (989 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes in a light ruby/rose color, very clear.

The aroma is brilliant of orange, mangoes, pineapple with an underlying resinous pine, some dank cat pee, and a touch of onion and garlic.

On the flavor, the beer hits of mangoes, peaches, sweet pineapple, along with blood orange, tangerine grapefruit, with a smack of candy sweetness. Then onto a full bittering of resinous pine. A touch of spicy hop character as well.

The malt bill reminds me of a Stone Enjoy By, Sucks, etc. It's very much what the West Coast puts out. However, the beer is wonderfully crisp, and clean, with a hidden sweetness. No sense of alcohol.

Dangerously drinkable. One of the best in its specific style of DIPA. (699 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Hazy orange-amber color with a two finger off white head

Smell: As i popped the cap off the bottle i immediately knew this would be a world class beer. Right away I got huge super fresh, ripe pine aromas with a undertone of bright fruits. In the glass its more equal parts pine and bright tropical and citrus fruit along with a hint of sweet bready malt. Theres also a touch of that spicy onion aroma that burns my nose, which i get in a few Stone and Lagunitas beers for example. I thought Head Hunter had a perfect aroma, but this is otherworldly.

Taste: Yup, this is very nice. A smack in your face melody of pungent pine and bright fruit notes. I get a blast of fresh pine upfront but quickly transitions into super vibrant tropical/citrus notes. Its danker than any other DIPA iv had, and a citrus aftertaste lingers forever in a day

Mouthfeel: Id say this is heavy bodied as it really coats your mouth with a resionous feel. The bitterness carries on well throughout the aftertaste

Overall: I love head hunter and it is my go to IPA, but this right here pushes the style to another level. JuJu has the most dank, concentrated, resionous pine and tropical/citrus fruit hop aromas and flavors iv ever experienced. The lingering citrus aftertaste and bittering makes for a wonderful experience and a sip goes a long way. I can also grab these bad boys off the shelves within a week of bottling. This is one of my highest rated beers on here, and for damn sure my favorite DIPA. Fat Heads may very well brew the greatest IPA/DIPA one two punch in the country. (1,577 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

L: Poured into a standard pint glass. A slight dark amber (burnt sienna color) with carbonation slightly rising through the sides of the glass. Small white head (1/8 inch max). The color is outstanding.

S: Citrus along with the citrus family in it, lemon, tangerine and blood orange. Some mango and maybe passion fruit (for me at least). Very fruity…hint of bitters, the type you put in an old fashioned.

T: Taste like it smells, the pine kick comes into play and the citrus flows through. Heavy on the bitter citrus…but it flows like someone tried to smooth down a grapefruit into a sweet tangerine, with some pine (if that makes sense).

F: The body is medium with light medium carbonation, the carbonation is low so you can taste the different citrus characters in it.

O: The heavy bite of citrus has made me love this beer, it's a hopheads dream. (858 characters)

The aroma on this beer is unbelievable... the best thing I have ever smelled in my life. Tastes like heaven. Exceptionally crafted beer. If the hop goddess has nipples, this is the milk. (186 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Waited a long time for this one! Poured a 12oz into the Spiegelau with a clear, golden amber body and a fluffy 2 - finger eggshell head. Nose hit me from a foot away. Big pine, orange, and a mess of juicy, sticky aromas that might defy the norms. Hint of dank, astringent aromas. BIG ASS PINE followed by a grapefruit/stonefruit pucker. Ample bitterness. Tremendous hop explosion. Strong enough malt presence (never overpowering, but present) and some noticeable booziness with some time in the glass. Medium body, slick finish, lingering pine, clean as hell. So right. Did I mention it was bottled 8 days ago on 2/9/15. Oh Fat Head's... you've done it again! (659 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Golden clear

S - Holy Jesus you can actually smell the fresh hops like they are about to sprout from the bottle. One of the most citric hopped smelling beers Ive had.. Comparable to Heady

T - Delicious resiny hop forward with a malt chaser

F - fine liquid sunshine, slight rear of throat burn on initial taste (could be the Alc or it could be the nectar of the hop gods)

O - Send me more, Ohio has two things going for it. Hop JuJu and Bodhi need to get them both wherever you are (488 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

Very resiny, pine, grapefruit, and savory Amarillo character in aroma. Moderate caramel malt sweetness.

Muted grapefruit dominates the flavor, with pithy bitterness offsetting the modest caramel malt sweetness. That savory Amarillo comes through. A little bitter for my liking. Overrated, in my opinion. The flavoring hops are too one-note. (341 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Really Fantastic!
Lots of Tropical Fruit (passionfruit/mango)
Right up there with the best.
Looking forward to this years release.
I thought the bottles were tasting a bit better than the draft last year. Substantial differences in the look and feel of the beer. Also better aromatics from the bottle poured into a snifter (330 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

this is amazing on so many levels. for one, all this hop character with so little bitterness, its incredible, maybe one of the most dramatic ive encountered. honey colored is fitting, because its honey textured hoppy too, extremely west coast in nature, dank and drippy with hop goodness. i dont get as much tropical fruit in this as others apparently have, more pine for me, spruce even, springy and pungent, with a real taffy sticky front end feel but fully resolving in the finish, aided by strong carbonation and a medium body that feels delicate for how big this is. i appreciate a big ipa under 9% abv too, it allows me the ability to enjoy several of them without the consequences of doing the same thing with one at 10% abv. i would describe the hop profile of this beer as less distinct than expected, given the hype. i thought for sure southern hemisphere fruitiness and all of that, but its not really there. its got more of a northwest hop character, just done better than most others, which is always great to see. this one and the head hunter are both amazing. these guys appear to be really onto it with their hoppy beers. id love to try some other stuff, looks like they do a ton. (1,196 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -25.8%

BOTTLE: 12 fl oz size. Brown glass. Fun label art. Branded orange pry-off pressure cap.

I got this from Duff27; thanks again, man! 9.00% ABV. 100 IBU.

Served cold. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. Expectations are extremely high as this is currently #87 on the Top 250 list. Reviewed live as an imperial IPA since the label refers to it as such.

HEAD: Over one finger in width. Off-white colour. It's appealingly smooth and even, with a nice full thick consistency and attractive creaminess. Appears soft. Not as frothy as it could be. Leaves no lacing as it recedes. Head retention is good - about 7-8 minutes.

BODY: Mango with orange and copper hues. Average in vibrance. A biteen hazy; there's some oiliness to the appearance but it's still transparent and translucent. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Overall, it's an appealing appearance for an imperial IPA, and isn't the usual boring copper colour of most beers in the style. I'm looking forward to trying it, and don't notice any obvious flaws. Definitely an above average appearance for the style.

AROMA: Fruity hop character dominates the hop profile. Mango, tangerine, citrusy esters, citrus zest, a kiss of grapefruit, seemingly balanced tropical fruit, nectary character, and a kiss of pine.

Sweetbread. Pale malt. There's enough sweetness to balance the hop bitterness, but I worry it'll be too sweet once I get to the taste.

No yeast character, alcohol, or off-notes are detectable.

Overall, it's a pleasant aroma of above average strength.

TASTE: Yes, the sweetness is a bit overpowering - or at least imbalanced - for the style. Pale malt and caramalt sweetness mixes with sweetbread, lending it substantial sweetness.

The hops can hardly compete. Hints of pine, some tropical fruit (mainly mango, but perhaps some tangerine), citrus zest, plenty of resins, and a hint of apricot.

The caramel feels out of place.

FLAVOUR INTENSITY: Moderate.

FLAVOUR DEPTH: Medium.

FLAVOUR DURATION: Average.

Amplitude of flavour is nice; this is a cohesive flavour profile with an interesting atypical build, but it's certainly not gestalt.

It's far from the most complex or intricate beer in the style, and doesn't boast much subtlety, but I do like it. The resiny and nectary hop notes are a highlight.

TEXTURE: Sticky, smooth, wet, lightly oily, and medium-bodied. Unrefreshing. Thickness is apt - enough to support the flavour profile without going overboard. It's a filling beer.

Not gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy.

Overall presence on the palate is nice, but not ideal. This texture suits the taste generally well, but doesn't feel tailored specifically to it. It's a bit overcarbonated.

OVERALL: A likeable imperial IPA which hides its ABV well and doesn't go for the increasingly boring grapefruit-emphatic hop profile. I've never been big on the tropical fruit approach to imperial IPAs, though, and I find this a bit lacking. More commitment to the nectary and resiny hop notes would be lovely, as would a bit more bitterness to even out the balance. I'll enjoy finishing this glass, but I definitely don't think this lives up to its current 87/250 position on the top beers list. Worth trying, but far from world class. Certainly drinkable.

Low B- (3,317 characters)

4.44/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I gave my rating awhile back, but I figured I needed to put the notes on this as well.

2 - 12 oz short Broan bottle with a fantastic green label done is awesome Fathead's fashion. Poured into a Nonic style pint glass.

A - glowing golden light orange colored body that just screams deliciousness. It just looks like it's gushing with flavor. Head isn't massive, but still a grand display and lasts throughout leaving plenty of thin stick rings all around the glass.

S - this smells like a dream. Almost insane like. Juicy fruits wafting all over this aroma. Pineapple, passion fruits, mango, and a big pile of ripe pineapple hug the pine resin hops like lovers on some exotic beach. The malt backbone and big fruit aromas blend so well together and I can't describe this as sweet but it's just so Damn spot on its unbelievable.

T - just a continuation of its great aroma. Pineapple, passion fruit, gushing mango, pineapple, lime, and a hit of pine resin all flowing as one sticking the taste buds with gushing notes of fruitiness and hop oils. It's so ripe and fresh yet just enough dank character to magnificent. Breaded malt lays a superb backbone and Juju is neatly balanced.

M - big bodied but smooth. Thickness is exceptional and texture is out of this world. It's drinkability is scary while it's balance is the stuff of legends. It just cakes the mouth in complex fruitiness and ripe hop notes and never really shifts you into that boozy, bitter feeling.

O - JuJu is so Damn delicious and I recommend it anyone that loves dipa's. This is as good as any beer I've ever had. It's not running close like so many these days, Hop JuJu is running beside the great ones. I sure hope I run across this one again, soon. Fat Heads has a world class double ipa in Hop JuJu (1,778 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle date is not legible...

A - Dark orange color with an awesome sticky lace that permeates the glass. Great looker

S - Nothing too special here. I get a malt bomb with some mixed in pine and maybe the slightest of grapefruit

T - Pretty much as the label describes... tropical up front, malt and pines in the middle with a nice bitter finish. Hop profile is difficult to identify. There's a great spectrum of flavors here.

M - Light to medium feel, mild carbonation, smooth off the palate

O - Not quite "World Class" in my humble opinion. This may have to do with the unreadable bottle date. If it's a little older than that explains the malty aroma. That's really the only thing holding this back from being another notch above. Overall, a fine DIPA (758 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I can understand after having this beer why Fat Heads won the gold for this recipe..

Very well blended imperial/DIPA.

Hints of citrus, piney flavors abound with a just right sweetness to a balance the variety of hops used in this recipe.

I found the beer golden in color and slightly cloudy. The beer poured very well with a decent head of foam to release the flavorful aroma.

Mouth feel was medium to full bodied, and satisfying.

Glad I grabbed a 4 pack to bring back with me and share with friends. (505 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

From notes

Appearance: It has a nice deep golden/orange color to it. It has a nice thick off-white head that dies down moderately slow and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints dank pine resins, tropical notes (citrus, grapefruit, mango and pineapple) and some sweet caramelly malts.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has loads of bitter pine resins, tropical notes (citrus, grapefruit and pineapple) and some sweet caramelly malts to balance.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied by great flavors and aromas. (640 characters)

Hop JuJu Imperial IPA from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon