Apricot Wheat - Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon

pDev: 0%
Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon visit their website
Ohio, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: jampics2 on 10-01-2010)
4.2/5  rDev 0%

On tap at Fat Heads. I was picking up some growlers for this little wedding party we had and thought some of the ladies or girly men who enjoyed the keg of Ithaca Apricot Wheat we had over the summer may enjoy this.

Described on the menu as "A nice refreshing American Wheat Ale with aromas of biscuit grain and fresh apricot. Flavors of sweet malt, wheat, yeast, some spice and a subtle hint of apricot."

5.0% ABV, no IBU's listed.

Looks nice in the glass, I guess. I find with these fruit beers you don't tend to get a nice head retention, probably because of the oil in the fruit or something like that. Straw colored beer with chardonnay colored edges, very active carbonation. Looks a touch watery on the sides.

Smells of, wait for it, APRICOT! Who would have guessed. I'm not getting a ton of the self-proposed biscuity malt from the beer's description, but there is just a touch of toasted grain. Pretty appealing, but certainly smells like more of a wine cooler than a beer (can I say that given that I've never really had a wine cooler? Do they still sell them or did Bartles and James retire and cash in before the stock market collapse? Hope so, they always seemed like nice guys! On second thought, given that the market for Wine Coolers was actually teenage girls, maybe they were dirty old men? Busy hands Bartles, that was his nickname after all).

The taste is actually really good. Maybe it's because I had a keg of the inferior Ithaca product in the kegerator for a summer party and helped kick it, but I can say this is a decent beer and a very good apricot wheat! The taste is lush and juicy! WOW, nicely done, wonder if they used a puree? I would think that would have added cloudiness, so let's say whatever extract they used is really good!! Care to divulge your secrets, Mr. Cole? The base for this lush fruit is wheat and just a touch of toasted specialty malt.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with sparkling carbonation. Overall, this was actually a tasty beer. I just hope that, if Bartles and James are still alive and not doing hard time for child molestation after that drunken cheerleader incident, they will get to try this some day! Fat Heads is keeping their legacy alive, getting women drunk, one Apricot Wheat at a time!

jampics2, Oct 01, 2010
Apricot Wheat from Fat Heads Brewery & Saloon
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.