Imperial Bean Me Up Coffee Stout - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

Ohio, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.60% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 09-02-2011

3.33/5  rDev -16.3%

A - As good as I expected its pitch black goodness has a half inch of mocha colored head. Slight sticky lacing.

S - Smells fairly good. Not getting much in the vanilla or chocolate category, but I am getting I nice bit of coffee and roast. Not as much as I wanted since the hops take the nose by force.

T- Wow that's bitter much more than "moderately hopped" it taste like a IPA blended with a bit of coffee. As it warmed (or as my palate was destroyed) I could take more of the underlying Folgers coffee. definitely not balanced as I expected.

M - Puzzled as I expected an "imperial" stout to have a nice thick body this one is more medium bit it did help drinkability.

Overall I don't like hoppy flavors in my imperial stout and even more in my coffee, so this one is a bit average. Paying $5.50 a 12oz pour hurts it even more since it was the same price as Founders Breakfast Stout but half the quality.

Seek their other beers if you can.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Fat Heads : Bean Me Up

Poured into a snifter, an impenetrable black with an off white head. Aroma of premium coffee grounds and black toasted malts. In the flavor, robust maltyness, big time coffee flavor, vanilla bean, raw cocoa, and astringent bitterness. A really nice espresso stout with all the qualities you would come to expect from a top tier coffee flavored beverage. Mouthfeel is full bodied, smooth, and well carbonated. Overall, a fantastic "breakfast" stout.

Reviewed on: 09-12-2011 18:27:03

Pours jet black with a light tan head. In the aroma, dry coffee and a small roastiness. In the taste, dry coffee, with a nice big bitter roasted malt. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry coffee flavor in the aftertaste. Nice bitter and coffee, very nice.

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

(review based from notes made at the saloon)

I was able to recently enjoy this beer at the Cleveland Fat Head's. The beer was served to me in a snifter glass with an extremely dark brown body with an one inch cocoa head with a great amount of sticky lacing.

The aroma was a combination of coffee, roasted malts and barley. The taste was good, all of the mellow flavors blended together well with the coffee side being the most dominate. There was also a nice amount of bitterness. The body was lighter than I expected and the carbonation was a tad higher than I would have liked.

Overall it was a good imperial stout, nothing mind blowing but overall an enjoyable stout.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

A snifter at the brewpub.

A: My first of the day; just off a call with the boss and need a drink! Luckily this black beauty is in front of me. Like her sisters, this one is black like a moonless night. A thin off-white head sits complacently.

S: Mmmm, the delicious aromas of a cold-steeped coffee. The richness, sweet when considered along with the stout body, is difficult to miss. The stout side offers more roasted aromas to match the coffee.

T: The coffee stands out nicely, improving from good (when cold) to even better (as it warms). Chocolate and roasted malts provide a dark base; the coffee lightens it up and adds a much needed sweetness. The coffee flavors steal the spotlight, rich java with an au lait lactic sweetness in it. An excellent first glass that went down very quickly.

M: The coffee is a strong addition, sitting atop the dark stout body with ease. I preferred the stout when it was warmer, as the coffee flavors were more concentrated. And I'm having pangs of regret for not getting a growler of it.

Imperial Bean Me Up Coffee Stout from Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.