Oompa Loompa Chocolate Cream Stout - Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon

American Stout |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Stinkypuss on 02-24-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.17/5  rDev -13.9%

12oz poured into snifter.

A: Dark brown/black with one finger of soda-tan head, which dissipated quickly. Moderately viscous as it swirls in the glass.

S: Vanilla, cocoa, chocolate & roasted malts make up most of the smell. Sweet and inviting, a great wintertime aroma.

T: Fairly mild. Vanilla and cocoa are the biggest flavors once again; I'm not getting the dark chocolate that was advertised, but still digging it somewhat. The combination of sweetness and creaminess makes it surprising that this isn't a milk stout. Just a little bitter, and roasty, on the finish.

M: Medium-bodied and super carbonated; I don't know that I've had a stout so bubbly before. It's interesting, and works well with the light flavors, but it might be just a bit more foamy than would be ideal.

O: Pretty unique stout; I don't love it, but I'm glad I had the chance to try it. Worth picking up if you want a stout without all the body/weight of an imperial, and it could easily blend into almost a lineup highlighting various styles from beer to beer without being overbearing. (1,065 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -20.1%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours pitch black with just a little light getting through. Nice fluffy kakhi head that sticks around and leaves nice lacing. The aromas are pretty underwhelming. I can't pick up on much chocolate or vanilla. The aromas are pretty underwhelming. Lots of malts and it has grainy/mineral/metallic like aromas. It tastes much better than it smells. The dark chocolate notes come through in the flavors. It gives it a solid bitterness. There's a mild hop kick. There's a touch of black coffee in the mix as well. The vanilla practically goes unnoticed. Ehh. There's some caramel notes that linger giving it a subtle milky sweetness. Mouthfeel is pretty nice. It's medium-bodied, fluffy, creamy, moderate carbonation making it pretty smooth. Alcohol goes unnoticed.

I'm personally not feeling this one too much. Fat Heads brews some stellar beers, so maybe I had unfair expectations. This is average to me and they brew alot of insanely awesome dark beers. I don't think this one is going to grow on me either, but I am going to revisit to double check. (1,084 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

I wanted to love this beer. I ran out and got some when they had it in the brewpub. The taste is minimal, slight chocolate with maybe a pinch of vanilla. What really disappointed me was the mouth feel. Very, very thin. Imo I think they should of started with an imperial stout for this beer. Drinkable but I won't seek it out again. Hippy sippy from these guys is fantastic, I think that's what I was thinking when I got it. To each his own. Cheers! (449 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -45.9%

Poured into a Parkbrau Pils glass on 5/11/13

Dark brown in color; plum black in the glass. Two finger head deflates in short order leaving a thin film and mass of bubbles. There is some lace, but hopefully it improves (it does, but not by much).

The aroma features such fancy as acidic roast, earthy chocolate detritus and watery vanilla. The taste is a little better than the aroma but both the flavors and the feel are puffy, hollow and vapid. The vanilla is really out of place and the roast is pathetically weak - it's basically a tangy bitterness. The chocolate becomes a little more plush but not not enough to save the beer; no, if anything it adds unneeded sweetness. The carbonation is such that it would be spot-on with an excellent beer but all it does here is portray the shortcomings of Oompa Loompa. (815 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -54.6%

Got a bad beer. Way over carbonated, took 15 minutes to settle down. Strong metallic money scent. Predominant in the taste as well. Seems like there is a nice bitter dark chocolate taste in there, but well hidden behind the metal. Have one more, hopefully it's better.

I guess this is an appropriate beer for NFL draft night. Hopeful anticipation followed by a let down from a usually great Cleveland brewery. The Cleveland Browns of stouts. (442 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last