Hofbräu Märzen - Hofbräuhaus Pittsburgh

Ratings: 21 | Reviews: 3
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.59/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A great example of how to properly brew a Märzen beer.

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

Here is the Hofbräuhaus Pittsburgh's description of this beer:
Märzen is our "March" beer. It symbolizes the beginning of Spring. This is an amber colored beer with a rich malty character. There is a hint of hops but the overall profile is smooth and very drinkable.

Now for my own review:
Hofbräu's Märzen is a bright, clear, burnt golden color. The head is creamy, two fingers-tall and has solid retention. The lacing is OK. I have to be honest though, everything looks better to me when it is poured into a 1-liter stein.

The aroma has equal parts malt and hop. The malt isn't sweet or heavy; it is light, dry, and just a little bit grainy and biscuity. The aroma is very floral, full of noble hops. Pretty good.

All of the beers brewed at Hofbräuhaus Pittsburgh are traditional German style beers that are well-done. This marzen, however, is one of the two or three beers I have tried that has really impressed me. In fact, the other ones might have been imported from Munchen, so this would be the first house beer that I have loved. It has a nice balance between malt and noble hops, but leans toward the malty side. First up a little bit of sweetness with notes of biscuit, toasted malt and a hint of grain. Yeast adds the smallest touch of generic fruit, but it is very muted. The hops complement the malt wonderfully, with earthy, grassy, and mostly floral noble hop flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a creamy feel and good carbonation.

I was looking for a good lager with lunch and this one was really satisfying. I don't know if I will ever make it back here in March, but I know what I'm ordering if I do.

3.28/5  rDev -12.8%

A-dark transparent gold. thick off white head. lots of bubbles.

S-smells like buttered grains and malts. medium to high strength

T-comes in with a very malty and bitter taste of honey and grains. the taste is very potent. the after-taste is much more pronounced though with the taste of grains.

M-high carbonation with a dry finish

D-very quaffable. not the best taste but it went down so easily! i could have this all night long.

Hofbräu Märzen from Hofbräuhaus Pittsburgh