Affligem Blond - Brouwerij De Smedt / Brouwerij Affligem

Affligem BlondAffligem Blond

pDev: 11%
Brouwerij De Smedt / Brouwerij Affligem visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Affligem Blond Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

This is a pretty good Belgian pale ale, tasty, pretty drinkable, with a definite "Belgian" character.

Faintly hazy gold with debris, it has a fairly large, slightly airy white head slowly shrinking to thin foamy top with weak, foamy lace.

The aroma is much like other Belgian blondes of the style, pear, grain, hint of banana, yeast, orange, light sweet-sour fruit and yeasty tang.

The taste is also much like others overall, a light yeasty-fruity character with grain undertones, and hitn of musty apples, alcohol clearly noticeable and warm yet still rather smooth and pleasant, lightly tart and sweet with faint spiciness. It has a light, warm alcoholic quality and burn reminiscent of malt liquor that many Belgian Blondes seem to have. Mostly on the sweeter side with light tartness and alcoholic bite, it has no real bitterness yet is not overly sweet and is less sweet than others (like North Coast Pranqster). Though good and drinkable, it's also a bit one-dimensional and not particularly exciting or engaging.

Offa, Apr 15, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours with an extremely large and fizzing head with unique looking lacing going down the sides. The smell is absolutely quality, with a banana and cream like aroma coming off of the top, swirling around in the nose before disappearing.

Taste is very spicey and intense, but also very inviting. Very fruity and the alcohol is a bit present but not too much. Pretty good for a 6.8%'er.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full. Lingering on the tongue, this beer hits the spot. The drinkability is fairly high as well although this is a beer meant for sipping and letting sit, not for chugging.

Overall, good stuff. Would drink again.

Psilo707, Apr 09, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a light murky gold with s thin bubbly head

Aroma is fruity; pears, apples, and a lot of candied sugar

Taste is sweet right off the bat and then spicy. Bittering hops in the finish which seems to last forever.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium to thick bodied for the style. Carbonation is sharp.

EatsTacos, Mar 24, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

Had a bottle at Zeke's in South Beach for $4. Appeared a slightly hazy gold with a tall white head. The aroma and flavor aren't quite as strong as you might expect (I suspect adjunct sugar may be the cause), but this be still has an interesting taste. It's a smooth, very earthy character with a note of orange and cream. I'd say this beer is worth a try is you find it affordabley priced like I did.

tempest, Mar 22, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

Label on the 11.2 ounce bottle lists an abv of 6.8%. Lively carbonation stirred up the yeast when I pryed off the cap. Poured from into a cervoise.

Large off-white head sits on a hazy honey colored body. The aroma is peppery, herbal, and honey. Sharp and crisp at first, but then you get sweeter "hefe" flavors of banana and clove.

BierFan, Mar 21, 2009

Rich yellow, with a ton of suspended yeast visable.Almost looks lke lemon meringue pie with it's big stiff white head of foam resting on top. Big and spicy nose of coriander and banana. Light citrus and banana flavors mix with belgian spice,kind of like a ramped up imperial German Hefe.A lighter bodied and highly drinkable BSPA. Perfectly balanced and and inoffensive.

biggred1, Mar 16, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

I tried this beer directly after trying a Grimbergen Blonde, and I have to say that I preferred the Grimbergen better. Although I do have to add that I did mix the bottom-dwelling yeast into the pour. This undoubtedly added to the increased distinctiveness of this beer. I will add that as I continue to consume this beer it is growing more and more on me, but it is definitely one of the "stronger" blondes in terms of boldness that I have sampled.

Kevuas, Mar 06, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Affligem Bottle: picked a couple of these up for the wife and I to try.

Appearance: Pours a golden apricot color with a very large white fluffy head that dissolves into a nice foam slick after a few minutes. I tried my absolute best to minimize the head on the wife's I poured after mine.

Very nice color and character, the lacing hangs around as well.

Smell: very aromatic with a nice blend of blossom and spice coming through. It smells great with very little alcohol detection.

Taste: full of flavor, better when it has sat for a bit then the flavors seem to come out. A very citrus taste with hints of herbs rosemary mixed with thyme, bit of coriander. I'm a butcher/sausage maker by trade and it tasted like a mixture of those three, but not one specific. Hops are definitely present. Very pleasing. It's not harsh, nor does it have an aftertaste.

Mouth: very carbonated at first, let it sit for a bit if you don't like overpowering fizz. The remaining carbonation does ad to the bite of the flavor that is much appreciated. I'd say it's medium/light on texture.

Drink: I enjoy it and would buy it again. It's definitely not a 'chuggin' beer, but one more to be enjoyed slowly on all levels. It definitely has a different taste, I'll be searching for more beers like this in the area, this was the first Belgian Pale I've tried as I mostly stick to stouts.

EsoxLucius, Mar 01, 2009

Pours a medium yellow with a one finger white cap which turns into a film and leaves minimal lacing. Despite my best efforts there were tons of floaties swirling around in the glass.

Smelled fruity, perhaps some pear, along with an alcohol presence. Maybe a bit nutty as well.

Tasted much as it smelled. Somewhat fruity but not a whole lot else going on. The alcohol was more prevalent as the beer warmed.

Mouthfeel was very good. Lots of carbonation fizziness, joined with a medium bodied smoothness.

This is a pretty good brew. Not my first choice among beers of this style, but worth a look.

JBogan, Feb 21, 2009

Appearance: The beer poured a nice golden amber color with a huge, fluffy, cloud-like head which led to incredible web-like lacing the entire life of the beer.

Smell: Very sweet smell with hints of honey, pepper and grain.

Taste: Nice hints of honey, grain and spice as in the nose. The hops are minimal but leave a slight bitterness. The alcohol gives a nice warming sensation.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: Fantastic beer. A very easy drinking beer especially during the hot summer months.

Beerbuddha, Feb 18, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

Had this on tap at the Lucky Baldwins 10th Annual Belgian fest on 2/15/09.

Pours dark yellow, clear, and with a white head that doesn't last long.

Aroma is sugary, honey, malty, and yeast. Interesting enough for me.

Taste is sharp and very dry, medium bitterness for the style. Malty as well. Not complex but a to-style belgian pale.

Body is very thin. Very drinkable but I think this could do with 1-2% less abv.

t0rin0, Feb 16, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

Bottle. Actually ordered a Leffe Blonde, got this instead. Not much of an aroma, malty and yeasty. Slight fruits in taste, carbonation. Not bad, but then I was expecting one of my favorite session beers (Leffe) so I'm not sure this was a fair rating, will have to order it again to size it up better.

sirpsycho, Feb 14, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured with a huge head into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Peach colored with a good lasting head that left chunks of foam on the side of the glass.

Smell - Very aromatic with spicy-citrus-hoppy smell.

Taste - Great mix of citrus, with small amount of hops, with a delayed alcohol addition to end it off.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, but a medium to high carbonation level.

Drinkability - Good drinkability can keep me coming back to this.

Jasel, Feb 14, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

Picked this up a few weeks ago up at Wine and Beverage Depot up in Totowa. I wanted to expand my horizons a bit and besides the Brooklyn Local 1, I haven't had anything in this style. I tend to like my belgians more complex and lower in the alcoholic content, but I'll try anything once. This is quite different than any beer that I've had in a while, and also quite difficult for me to nail down!

This had quite the pour to it. For starters, the head filled up my pint glass well before I poured all of the beer out of the bottle. Once that settled, the lava lamp-like opaqueness of the golden hue stood out, and I'm not quite sure if I've ever seen a beer that had an appearance like this. Then I took a sip - wham! Yeah, I know this is only 7.00% ABV but it seemed a lot strong upon first tasting this. Maybe this was a bit too settled in my fridge before I cracked her open. No biggie, since it's subsided as I've worked my way down the bottle. Yes, the alcohol is strong, but so is the taste of apple, pear, green grape, some banana, a bit of spice, and lots of malt. This has a belgian farmhouse taste to it, but not in a subtle, warming way. Instead, it's light, straw-like, and crisp on the palate. Certainly a change from what I've been drinking lately!

I know it's a strong pale ale, but I do wish that the alcohol was turned down a notch or two. Otherwise, this is a fine beer and one worth trying once, if for no other reason that this pushes the edge of what most drinkers are accustomed to, and it's not something that'll get chugged down and overlooked. I probably wouldn't have this again, but only because this isn't my style. I have no regrets with giving this a try and I doubt that most craft beer drinkers would think otherwise...

JerzDevl2000, Feb 13, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

On-tap at the Cheeky Monk in Denver, CO. Served in an Affligem chalice.

A: Hazy gold with a small white head. Retention is average and spots of lace are left behind.

S: Overall aroma is rather mild. Husky malt and a coriander spice dominates. Some grapes and apples sneak through.

T: A fairly subtle beer, given its strength. A pepper bitterness dominates the experience. Sweetness comes in the form of apple and grape. Alcohol is well hidden. Finishes tart and dry.

M: Medium body has the right amount of fizz.

D: First stop on my night at the Monk. All-in-all a good start to the evening.

Rayek, Jan 27, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a cloudy yellow with just a touch of orange. Has a nice 1 finger white head that slowly dissipates.

Smell is floral and spice, very pronounced smell.

Taste to me is a bit like bread, but heavily spiced. Coriander is there, maybe a hint of pepper. Not a sweet beer, more a dry black pepper.

Mouthfeel was very solid. Not overly carbonated, but enough to help make its presence known.

Generally, a very drinkable beer. I very much enjoyed this one, and would not hesitate to have this again.

Vixie, Jan 26, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

Drinkability - This is a good beer and easily drinkable for 7%. Would I have another?...Sure. But I would't mind trying another beer of this style first since it lacks an intensity and complexity that I prefer.

Appearance - carefully poured into a chalice to show a gold colour with copper tones and a light haze. Carbonation is fine and provides a fluffy head to start which quickly dissipates to a thin layer on top.

Smell - very clean with mild sweet and bready notes.

Taste - mild flavour with a medium dry and bitter finish of grapefruit citrus. Light complexity becomes a little more noticeable after the beer warms up a bit. Very mild lingering bread and perfumy herbal (pine?)tones. Fits the style characteristics of being balanced and somewhat fruity and hoppy. I like the beer much more as it warms up.

Mouthfeel - Medium body and smooth. Not as watery as I expected for such a mild taste. Good carbonation is retained over the life of the serving.

ecoastman, Jan 18, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -9.7%

Very murky blond beer with a lot of stuff floating around. Short, low retention head of tiny bubbles. Very wheaty light smell without much body but a nice twang in it.

Great smooth feel to the beer. The carbonation is subtle but the bite is a nice counter to the light feel of the beer. A very airy feel to it but surprisingly thick on its way down. Great balance in the beginning and the after taste drifts towards the classic pale ale. The body of it is great but the aftertaste is very standard. Very well crafted but not very adventurous. Still a quality beer.

Irie, Jan 04, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours cloudy peach yellow with nice white foamy head which stayed there for a while. Smell - fruity maltiness with some hops involved. Taste - fruits (pear, orange) upfront, malts all the way trough, hops are not that noticeabdle. Has some spicy finish. Alcohol is well hidden. Very balanced and rich, very smooth. Very nice brew. It's drinkable.
Thanks to my wife for putting this in my stocking, this stuff really worth to be my 100th review:)

Voonder, Dec 30, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

Best before date 06.08.10. I'd like to note that the bottle says 6.8%ABV, and this site says 7.0% ? Perhaps the brewery have changed things a little bit...

In headphones: Frank Zappa - Guitar (1988)

A: slighty Aggressive pour into my clean Affligem glass yeilds a billowy white two finger head. Liquid is a cloudy dark yellow. taken a few sips and head is still going strong. Love the way this looks!

S: This inexperienced reviewer isn't getting much on the nose. mostly citrusy hops and yeasty alcohol.

T: fruity and yeasty alcohol. nice dry finish.

M: Light feel... over carbonated for me.

D: This isn't intended to be a session beer, however for a 7% ale I feel the drinkability is quite good

uno99, Dec 29, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a golden sunset orange yellow with a nice white foamy head that has great lasting power.

A variety of citrus smells: apple, orange and pear with a soft malty back.

A solid apple flavor up front with other citrus flavors roaming, perhaps some woods and a light hint of malt in the distance.

Medium to light body with lively carbonation.

Easy to drink with a very nice flavor.

TheBear11D, Dec 26, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -13%

A - Cloudy golden color with a thick, creamy white head which retained well and left good lacing behind

S - Floral, fruity - apples, pears

T - Crisp, malty, almost spicy, not at all hoppy, and then, almost some type of metallic taste which I don't really like. Can taste a little alcohol after-taste.

M - Good carbonation, crisp in the mouth, but the metallic thing is distracting to me.

D - This could be pretty drinkable. It's pretty light, but I'm not really digging it too much. I think I'll have to stop at one.

smedley, Dec 25, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

11.2oz bottle

A- Pours a dark golden yellow color with a nice off-white head.

S- The aroma is very fruity and floral with some apples and pears, spices, and yeast.

T- The taste some fruity malt with a lot of spices with some mild hops and phenols in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

D- Aflfligem Blond is a solid beer that I wouldn't mind having again. Worth a shot.

cjgator3, Dec 22, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +17.1%

I love this beer, I have been trying to find this beer ever since I had it. I have to go to texas in order to get this I can never find it. I typically go to Specs in order to get this beer, but they usually don't have it. They usually have the seasonal beer instead. I really love this beer.

skeetermoses, Dec 07, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a cloudy blond with a big foamy white head that stays. Nice thick sticky lace.

Big fruity nose. Hints of herbs and flowers.

Sweetness throughout the taste. Mild phenol, herbal taste. Alcohol and mild hops present.

Full and smooth in the mouth with nice carbonation.

Wonderful Blond, very easy to drink.

dstc, Dec 01, 2008