Affligem Blond - Brouwerij De Smedt / Brouwerij Affligem

Affligem BlondAffligem Blond

Brouwerij De Smedt / Brouwerij Affligem visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Affligem Blond Alström Bros
Reviews: 500 | Hads: 1,082
4.85/5  rDev +24.7%

First impression was the carbonation. The great Belgian style zest followed quickly but the carbonation definitely jumped at me. It brought me back to a visit to Amsterdam, walking through the streets looking for good beer and usually veering towards pubs with Belgian beer signs. An excellent brew. Next stop Belgium.

Appearance is hazy yellow with noticeable yeast and a fine, foamy lace.
Smell is mostly fruit and honey with a bit of yeast. It's very inviting, hinting at the great taste to follow.
The taste is VERY balanced. Lightly sweet and bitter, with spice that doesn't overwhelm. A bit of a tart finish and a hint of alcohol with lingering hops. Nice.
Mouthfeel is full of carbonation at first but mellower and lighter after resting.
Drinkability is way up there. Slowly and delicously. I'll keep a few in the beer fridge. (835 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -3.1%

Affligem Bottle: picked a couple of these up for the wife and I to try.

Appearance: Pours a golden apricot color with a very large white fluffy head that dissolves into a nice foam slick after a few minutes. I tried my absolute best to minimize the head on the wife's I poured after mine.

Very nice color and character, the lacing hangs around as well.

Smell: very aromatic with a nice blend of blossom and spice coming through. It smells great with very little alcohol detection.

Taste: full of flavor, better when it has sat for a bit then the flavors seem to come out. A very citrus taste with hints of herbs rosemary mixed with thyme, bit of coriander. I'm a butcher/sausage maker by trade and it tasted like a mixture of those three, but not one specific. Hops are definitely present. Very pleasing. It's not harsh, nor does it have an aftertaste.

Mouth: very carbonated at first, let it sit for a bit if you don't like overpowering fizz. The remaining carbonation does ad to the bite of the flavor that is much appreciated. I'd say it's medium/light on texture.

Drink: I enjoy it and would buy it again. It's definitely not a 'chuggin' beer, but one more to be enjoyed slowly on all levels. It definitely has a different taste, I'll be searching for more beers like this in the area, this was the first Belgian Pale I've tried as I mostly stick to stouts. (1,368 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle.

A - Light golden pale color with a decent amount of fluffy white head.

S - it smells like a blond honestly. Spicy sort of yeasty belgianness to it.

T - Pretty much the same as the nose. Like the taste of the yeastyness. Quite pleasant and refreshing. Just a good blond.

M - Well carbonated. Enjoyed the bubbles. Light and crip which was just what I wanted.

O - Solid blond ale. (400 characters)

Nice looking ale with the effervescent carbonation, nice color and wonderful head. The bottle says to carefully retain the yeast in the bottle, or to pour the yeast into the glass for a nuttier taste. I started by leaving the yeast in the bottle, and found this lead to a very pleasant crisp, slightly dry and slightly fruity (apples) taste. The carbonation and body enhanced the experience. Then I poured in the yeast. I would not say that it produced a nuttier taste. I would say the flavor was a bit more full, perhaps a bit spicier. Beyond that the flavor changed to something i can't describe accurately, I got stuck on the "nuttier taste" which I didn't agree with. Instead of determining how best to describe the taste change i kept trying to find the nutty taste. I couldn't find it and suddenly my glass was empty. This is in no way a knock on the beer. I enjoyed this both with and without yeast. This was a very solid belgian, simultaneously full flavored and somewhat light and refreshing. (1,001 characters)

Appearance - Gold/orange in color 2 finger creamy off white head. Lots of carbonation and a lava lamp effect.

Smell - Citrus (grapes I think) very fruity with the hops deep down. Little floral with a sweet scent that came later even though its still cold wtf is with this brew.

Taste - All citrus and hops like the smell and for a a beer under 7% I can taste the alcohol they didn't even try to hide it (not that its a bad thing). Oh but wait theres more just like the smell the taste changes too and its sweeter with more hop character.

Mouthfeel - Crisp not refreshing at all very dry on the finish and the carbonation might be a bit high as its not all that smooth. No wait here we go again, all this changes within 10 minutes its still very cold and yet its so smooth now and its not dry at all its so odd now I could go for 10 more of these.

Overall - This is the weirdest beer I've ever had/reviewed its so fun to drink though. I had it in my fridge for about a day and half so when I took it out it was ice cold and with 10 minutes and it still being nice and cool it changed so much. Go grab one and see for yourself. (1,129 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -12.1%

Colour is between yellow and amber, with a foamy white head. Fruit and herbs are dominant in the aroma, while in the taste these are combined with notions of malt and unripe banana. Nice bittersweet aftertaste, but if you drink it too cold, the aftertaste is ruined. (266 characters)

Beautiful golden color with no head and just a tiny bit of froth which leaves some lacing on the edges of the glass. This beer has a strong full bodied wheat character with a bitter finish. The aftertaste has a grainy, cereal quality to it. This is a nice, fairly smooth Blonde, but not as smooth as other Blondes I've tried. (325 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

This is one my dad had when he visited France, and it came highly recommended. It definitely looks like a blonde: Poured into my Westmalle goblet, it produces a big frothy head that leaves behind considerable lace. There's a lot of sediment, but I've never minded that. The smell is pretty faint, but what's there offers a hint of hefe-like fruit along with the typical spiciness I expect from the style. Taste is much bigger, with clove and citrus, followed by a sharp spiciness. This really tastes more like a hefe/blonde hybrid to me. All-in-all, not too bad at all for something an American micro might experiment with. But the problem is that Affligem boasts itself as being one of Belgium's oldest abbey-breweries. And this blonde doesn't hold a candle to the other beers from the region. (794 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden Wheat color in the glass, with a rollicking, feathery head. The smell is a sugary sweet fruitiness that struck me mildly like a candied apple. The body was medium and provided quite a bit of mouth coating. It's carbonation was lively, but not as agressive as in a Duvel. Aggligem's flavor has a slightly spicy character, I almost wanted to say caraway or cumin, that quickly dissolves to a sugary sweet citrus end that finishes dry. I drank this from my Duvel glass and that tells the story. It's a passable Belgian Strong Pale Ale, by why wouldn't you just reach for a Duvel instead. (591 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a pint style glass. Poured a slightly cloudy moderate straw color with an enormous head of thick fluffy white. High carbonation. The aroma was a sweet ale fruitiness with little to no hop aroma. Taste was fruity, with a slight yeasty bite ate the finish. Swallow left a lingering aftertaste that remained until the next sip. (352 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served at refrigerator temperature from small bottle into goblet. Pours with 2-finger very thick head. Initial aroma is of subtle fruit (apricot) and malt. Appropriately strong carbonation level. Flavor is slightly fruity and very reminiscent of Duvel. Drinkability is dangerously high- this is a very enjoyable brew which finds a frequent home in my cabinet. (359 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured with a good size head on it that stayed around for pretty much the whole time. Cloudy gold in color. Nose had a slight nutty smell, probably from the yeast. Good hop blanace with. Taste was very good. Almost bananaish, like a hefeweizen. The finish came out a little bitter when the hops kicked in but it was welcomed. Medium mouthfeel tilting toward the heavy side. I would definately grab this one again. Very drinkable but not too many of them as the 7% can sneak up on you. (484 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -8%

A: Pours beautifully golden honey with fireworks of CO2 inside. Head is impressive as my gentle pour produced a lot. Head is white with a medium to fine density. Retention is good. Very impressive.

S: Smells like an abbey-style ale but sweeter and fruitier. Smells like banana bread ale. I can't put my finger on any particular hop or malt. Acceptable.

T: The "blond" comes through with more hops in the taste than in the smell but still very mild. Departs from the usual blond ales with is bready sweetness and slight spice. A good mix.

M: Light bodied mouthfeel that becomes slightly heavier due to the higher alcohol content. CO2 makes itself known and is spot on for the style and balance.

D: Very drinkable...for 1 beer. Certainly not a pounder but more of a delicacy. We don't pound delicacy's do we?

Overall a nice beer but I wouldn't go out of my way to obtain it again. (884 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance was a cloudy golden color with an impressive head and nice lacing all the way down.
The nose was sweet and herbal, pleasantly aromatic.
I had this on a warm day and it was just the drink i needed. It goes down very smooth and clean, but with a spicy full character. The taste is herbal with just a hint of alcohol. The refreshing taste gives way to a light bitterness in the back with a subtle alcohol warmth in the finish. (436 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

pale hay yellow colour and a bit cloudy. Lots of carbonation - one inch of head with large bubbles that fades right away down to a thin covering.

Nice yeasty funk on the nose. light fruits, white grapes, very light spices.

Tart fruits and yeast, light baking spices, coriander, mild barny earthy funk. sweet but also a bit sour. golden delicious apple. maybe a bit of herbs on the finish, which is dry i believe.

Highly carbonated with not a tonne of body.

Overall not bad. Certainly a style of beer I really like, but there are some very good versions out there that you might want to spend your time on before this. For the style its light on the alcohol and very drinkable. More subdued flavours and light body make it a good entry to a blonde or saison, though you will likely move on to bigger and bolder things. (824 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Pale yellow with an extremely thick head.

The taste is mostly sweet (lemon, banana?), with a hint of herbs and some very mild bitterness. Perhaps slightly reminiscent of Duvel.

Very complex flavour and a great beer for once in a while, but I wouldn't want to drink one after another. (285 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +20.1%

Great brew. About 2" of foam....smelled great and tasted better. Has a nice milky feel in mouth....can say enough about this beer. First time I ever had it....won't be the last! Can't wait to pick up some more. Looks a little weird when you first pour it, has sentiment floating around....but I couldn't care less after drinking it.
Oh yeah....very nice lacing too! (365 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -13.4%

A - Golden yellow. Fine, white and not much persitente foam.

S - It wasn't the good place and situation to feel the smell but even i've found malted aromas and something like apricot.

T - Apricot and honey in first, then other malted grains' flavours. Equilibrated and enough armonic. Feelings of yeast.

M - I'd like to have a little more of carbonation because it was so flat.

D - Anyway a good bear to drink in large amounts with happiness!! (447 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

33cl bottle poured into a Affligem chalice :)

A - Pours a straw colored clear liquid with a mildly frothy white 2cm head. Liquid has a few bubbles. Not quite clear, very slight haze. Frothy head slowly dissapets over about 4 minutes.

S- Nice aroma is a mix yeast ans fruity esters, a touch a malty biscuit, maybe ever so slight corn smell, and just a hint of some hops.

T - The taste evolves as you sip and swallow. Fairly clean taste that warms in the mouth and evolves a bit of carbonation. Tingles the tongue that opens to a mild sweet, but not cloying. As the beer hits the back of the throat there is a drying effect on the front and the tongue leaving a slightly astringent feeling and then the taste of clean hop bitterness to balnce the presentation. After effect has bit of leftover dryness and the hints of a malt aroma and the Belgian yeast left on the tongue.

M - Nice medium balanced mouthfeel, which works well with the latent carbonation that evolves as it warms in the mouth. I really like the body on this beer for the balanced flavor.

D - For me this an easy beer to drink. The balance for me is nice with the sweetness / malt and hops and Belgian esters from the yeast. The alcohol level is low on the scale of Belgian Strong Ales and well masked. I actually like to add in the extra yeast layer to add to the flavor profile. However - clearly not a session beer as the ABV and sweetness will accumulate with successive glasses.

Overall - a nice beer even if a bit mass produced. Much Preferred over Leffe as another example. (1,555 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

It's a classic.
Served at around 50 degrees F - gives off a floral whiff with full creamy head on top.
Not as aggressive as Duvel, it is exceptionally drinkable and goes well with grilled spiced seafood, although I found it to give cheeses a slightly funky aftertaste, so I'd prefer to stay away from dairy products when drinking this beer and focus on shellfish and such. (372 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.2%

Bottle. Actually ordered a Leffe Blonde, got this instead. Not much of an aroma, malty and yeasty. Slight fruits in taste, carbonation. Not bad, but then I was expecting one of my favorite session beers (Leffe) so I'm not sure this was a fair rating, will have to order it again to size it up better. (300 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

I tried this beer directly after trying a Grimbergen Blonde, and I have to say that I preferred the Grimbergen better. Although I do have to add that I did mix the bottom-dwelling yeast into the pour. This undoubtedly added to the increased distinctiveness of this beer. I will add that as I continue to consume this beer it is growing more and more on me, but it is definitely one of the "stronger" blondes in terms of boldness that I have sampled. (449 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A- Amber colored beer with some orange flashes.It has a white compact everlasting foam,very good laces can be preceived.

S- An intense dry fruits-yeast-honey aroma

T- Malty ,sweet at the beginning with a balanced bitterness coming at the end of the sample.Complex taste , some subtle hot alcohol is present..

M- Medium bodied beer with a very smooth mouthfeel.

O- Very good beer,tasty for sure. (398 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

Visual Appeal: a cloudy golden color, gorgeous steadfast head of white foam that leaves nice streaking

Smell: characteristic Belgian strong pale ale yeasty smell predominant

Flavour: marvelous Belgian strong pale ale yeasty flavour, mild orange overtones

Mouthfeel: wonderful effervescence, almost as good as Duvel

Drinkability: so flavourful and delicious that I could drink it all day (390 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%

poured into a DT snifter, this beer held up well with 1/2 inch head all the way down w/decent lacing. aroma is not great but the banana and clove tastes permeate throughout. i like this beer as the flavor is distinctly belgium without going overboard on price. I will definitely revisit this one as it represents great value. (325 characters)

Affligem Blond from Brouwerij De Smedt / Brouwerij Affligem