Red Ale - TAPS Brewery

pDev: n/a
TAPS Brewery visit their website
Turkey

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Offa on 03-27-2009)
3.35/5  rDev n/a

This is a decent American-style amber ale, light and malty with some hops character.

Red-brown, it has a medium off-white head steadily shrinking to a ring and leaving only a little lace.

The aroma is malty and musty, rather vague and a bit odd, with old grain.

The taste is better, a definite, basic American red ale, very simlar to numerous basic micro-brew ales I find all over California. It's slightly winey malty with faint, vague fruitiness and cracker in the finish/aftertaste. It has light bitterness and a very light grapefruit-pine hop chracter. Simple, straightforward, and a bit one-dimensional, it's easy to drink and will satisfy someone dying for that basic West-Coast brewpub ale. However, that said, it is a somewhat better-than-average interpretation of West Coast American red ales.

3.23/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful, light beige head that forms a long lasting peak. Solidly four fingers thick. The broth is dark amber and cloudy.

Toasted biscuit aroma; modest hop presence. Alcohol in the background.

Round, "amber" flavor. Slightly darker malt flavors. The body is very thin and the carbonation is relatively high--distracting. The aftertaste is short-lived and has an element of cabbage to it. All in all, not a very good amber.

3/5  rDev n/a

I had picked up this bottle and three of its brethren at Country Garden Six-Pack, but the Vienna Lager required an approved picture before I would open it. Approval went through the other day, so I am (briefly) back on The Great Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014! Whee!

From the bottle: "Crafted Ale Beer"; "At TAPS, we make our craft beers using only the finest quality ingredients and traditional brewing methods. To ensure that our beers are satisfyingly full of flavor and aroma, they are allowed to mature naturally and no additives are used. With special malt and hop varieties, Red Ale offers a unique experience for you to enjoy. The Brewmaster [undersigned illegibly]".

I popped the cap and began what I thought was a gentle pour, but I was getting massive amounts of foam! I backed off to allow for settling, but the density of the four (!) fingers of rocky, tawny head was causing me to growl with anticipation. Color was a Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had an odd vinegar-like sharpness. Mouthfeel was medium Taste was decent, very malty, very sweet, but not as bad as the nose had led me to expect. Finish was likewise sweet, almost unrelenting in its maltiness. The nose was really more than I could bear and it is tough to hold one's own nose while trying to drink a beer.

2.95/5  rDev n/a

Red color, and musty malt smell. It's an incredibly basic red ale--very thin and overly carbonated in the mouthfeel, tastes like thin pine hops and graham crackers, very sweet grain/malt bill and a distinct graham cracker flavor.

If I'm rating it against red ales, it gets a low score, but if I'm rating it against Turkish beer, well, bump everything up a bit, I suppose.

2.25/5  rDev n/a

The ale had a really nice color to it. A natural looking red. The flavor was a bit on the light side though which was a bummer. I was hoping for a little bit more hops or something. The flavor was a bit watered down. I felt that this brew would be a good one for the novice beer drinker who is just starting out and learning.

Red Ale from TAPS Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.