IV - Brasserie de Jandrain-Jandrenouille

IVIV

Brasserie de Jandrain-Jandrenouille visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: RblWthACoz on 03-28-2009)
3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

mattfancett, Aug 28, 2014
3.74/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I enjoyed this at Moeder lambic, served chilled in a cervoise.

The color is medium golden with good clarity and 2 fingers of light almost white cream atop withfine bead and thick lace stickage. The aroma has a grainy raw scent with light herbal hop and moderately fruity yeast scent with woody hop aroma and 'green' type of hop quality in the nose. The feel is lightly creamy textured with moderate bitterness and semi-dry quality with medium body and light sweetness with mild alcohol in the feel with a dry spiced finish.

The taste is moderately bitter with some herbal flavors and light citrus in the hop profile yet a light tangy, spicy yeast contributes equally with light alcohol apparent in the mid taste. There is a slight fresh hop with almost floral element and moderately toasted malt in the dry finish.
This is a pretty decent saison, not world class but earthy and interesting with nice blend of yeast, malt and hops wit subtle alcohol.

Slatetank, Aug 05, 2014

Schmoog, Aug 04, 2014

pariah_peels, Jul 31, 2014

AvaStJames, Jul 26, 2014
3.88/5  rDev 0%

Pours a cloudy light orange with thin, fast fading soap bubble head with a spray of dots on the grass. Smell: floral, peach, mildly acetic; with pops of: citrus rind, bubblegum, barnyard, grassiness. Taste: tart nectarine, sweet melon and white grape, acetic edged grainy funk, spicy and citrus peel note. Light bodied with very low carbonation; dry finish, earthy and a bit chalky. Best by 12/30/2015 or 2016. Nice flavor.

babaracas, Jul 21, 2014

williamjbauer, May 08, 2014

freemanj, Apr 15, 2014

SimonTja, Apr 07, 2014
4.06/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

750 ml poured into Delirium Tremens snifter.

A: Pours an incredibly crisp clear yellow with a slight tint of orange. Thin white head and medium carbonation with slight lacing around the glass. This beer is incredibly clear with absolutely no cloudiness from the yeast.

S: A very fruity aroma, almost peach like with a hint of strawberries. Sweet almost but more fruit forward than malt sweetness. Also get a slight earthy hop aroma but not much, I have to really work the beer hard by swirling it to get much else than fruit.

T: Ok, this is where I get that yeast character that I get from a good saison and what lets me know its a farmhouse ale. Good fruity yeast character with a touch of funky phenols and nice sweet/fruity malt to support things together. Getting a delicious earthy hop flavor that starts off almost strawberry like in its fruitiness but then transforms into a nice dry lingering bitterness that eventually fades away in your mouth to nothing but bitterness and then suddenly you're ready for the next drink.

M: The dryness of this beer lends its way very well for a lingering bitterness that I like. Dry and almost carbonated water like in its feel. Not thin feeling from the high carbonation but bitterness is dry and lingers in the back of your mouth.

O: I'm enjoying this brew and I like it enough to want to explore more beers from this Farmhouse brewery. Definitely will buy again if I see this but there are certain things about it that are special but just not my cup of tea. The yeast character is great but the dry dry back of the throat bitterness you get from drinking carbonated water is strange. I'm usually a fan of 'strange and weird' but in this case it doesn't necessarily add nor remove anything. Not a deal breaker for me just something I wanted to point out since I don't get in many beers. Overall if you see this grad it, you will not be disappointed.

MarioM, Feb 08, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

dkw0063, Feb 03, 2014

BILF, Dec 15, 2013
3.84/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Beautiful, bright, banana gold body. Tall, pure white head has nice retention and lace.

S - Tart lemon rinds, grapefruit pith, grass, fresh hay, barn dust.

T - Light, bright and refreshing. Grass, cilantro stems, rose water, dry earth. Resiny dry finish.

M - Soft, light frame. Light, fizzy carbonation.

O - A simple, classic saison. Brewed with a restrained complexity and all the better for it.

vfgccp, Nov 30, 2013
4.64/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Every so often I find a beer that could be legendary (to me) or at least a disciple of a legend in my history of beer and travels. Jandrain IV Saison reminds me a familiar ghost from Belgium that I knew a long time ago that very few brewers could touch for style and I became obsessed with finding more where ever it might have even rumored to have been. Unlike the ghost, which still haunts some beer alcoves and stores inconsistently in both its promise and delivery, this outstanding Saison was beautiful and probably one of the finest examples of style and quality that I have tasted in years.

Right from the bottle, the frothy head had that magical soapy element to it that informed me that it was very fresh and that the hundreds of golden champagne-like bubbles that were underneath the head were making a great presentation. I swirled the glass to admire the viscosity and it invited me with a citrus and pepper aroma to have a taste.

Easily surpassing my recent ideas of what good saisons are like as nearly every micro brewer I know brews one, this majestic ale delivered a medium body that was very cloudy and resonant with a grassy citrus and pepper taste that evolved over the few minutes I had it.

As the yeast and grains made their presence known in the back end of the taste, I was already thinking about the barrels I was going to try to find of this ale. With every glass seemingly improving upon the last, my obsession for a great saison returned with a vengeance.

I knew that I must find more of this great saison on a future trip to both the local her store and on my way to Belgium next Spring.

bonbright7, Nov 11, 2013