1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

IV - Brasserie de Jandrain-Jandrenouille

IVIV

Brasserie de Jandrain-Jandrenouille visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: RblWthACoz on 03-28-2009)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 91 | Reviews: 54 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by MattSweatshirt:
MattSweatshirt

4.33/5  rDev +11%

On draft at Moeder Lambic

Lookin good. Golden body and a big thick white head.

Grass, hay, flowers, citrus. Sweet and fruity - peach and melon. Comes off fairly hoppy.

Tastes grassy, has a earthy mustiness to it, fruity and citrusy. Light bits of bitterness and sweetness.

Super smooth with some tingly carbonation. Medium bodied.

More subdued carbonation than a lot of saisons I've come across, but very refreshing and I love the hoppiness of it.

01-22-2013 00:24:38 | More by MattSweatshirt

Sweden

04-07-2014 12:30:29 | More by SimonTja
MarioM

4.06/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

750 ml poured into Delirium Tremens snifter.

A: Pours an incredibly crisp clear yellow with a slight tint of orange. Thin white head and medium carbonation with slight lacing around the glass. This beer is incredibly clear with absolutely no cloudiness from the yeast.

S: A very fruity aroma, almost peach like with a hint of strawberries. Sweet almost but more fruit forward than malt sweetness. Also get a slight earthy hop aroma but not much, I have to really work the beer hard by swirling it to get much else than fruit.

T: Ok, this is where I get that yeast character that I get from a good saison and what lets me know its a farmhouse ale. Good fruity yeast character with a touch of funky phenols and nice sweet/fruity malt to support things together. Getting a delicious earthy hop flavor that starts off almost strawberry like in its fruitiness but then transforms into a nice dry lingering bitterness that eventually fades away in your mouth to nothing but bitterness and then suddenly you're ready for the next drink.

M: The dryness of this beer lends its way very well for a lingering bitterness that I like. Dry and almost carbonated water like in its feel. Not thin feeling from the high carbonation but bitterness is dry and lingers in the back of your mouth.

O: I'm enjoying this brew and I like it enough to want to explore more beers from this Farmhouse brewery. Definitely will buy again if I see this but there are certain things about it that are special but just not my cup of tea. The yeast character is great but the dry dry back of the throat bitterness you get from drinking carbonated water is strange. I'm usually a fan of 'strange and weird' but in this case it doesn't necessarily add nor remove anything. Not a deal breaker for me just something I wanted to point out since I don't get in many beers. Overall if you see this grad it, you will not be disappointed.

02-08-2014 02:19:02 | More by MarioM

12-15-2013 18:42:46 | More by BILF
vfgccp

3.84/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Beautiful, bright, banana gold body. Tall, pure white head has nice retention and lace.

S - Tart lemon rinds, grapefruit pith, grass, fresh hay, barn dust.

T - Light, bright and refreshing. Grass, cilantro stems, rose water, dry earth. Resiny dry finish.

M - Soft, light frame. Light, fizzy carbonation.

O - A simple, classic saison. Brewed with a restrained complexity and all the better for it.

11-30-2013 02:03:28 | More by vfgccp
bonbright7

4.64/5  rDev +19%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Every so often I find a beer that could be legendary (to me) or at least a disciple of a legend in my history of beer and travels. Jandrain IV Saison reminds me a familiar ghost from Belgium that I knew a long time ago that very few brewers could touch for style and I became obsessed with finding more where ever it might have even rumored to have been. Unlike the ghost, which still haunts some beer alcoves and stores inconsistently in both its promise and delivery, this outstanding Saison was beautiful and probably one of the finest examples of style and quality that I have tasted in years.

Right from the bottle, the frothy head had that magical soapy element to it that informed me that it was very fresh and that the hundreds of golden champagne-like bubbles that were underneath the head were making a great presentation. I swirled the glass to admire the viscosity and it invited me with a citrus and pepper aroma to have a taste.

Easily surpassing my recent ideas of what good saisons are like as nearly every micro brewer I know brews one, this majestic ale delivered a medium body that was very cloudy and resonant with a grassy citrus and pepper taste that evolved over the few minutes I had it.

As the yeast and grains made their presence known in the back end of the taste, I was already thinking about the barrels I was going to try to find of this ale. With every glass seemingly improving upon the last, my obsession for a great saison returned with a vengeance.

I knew that I must find more of this great saison on a future trip to both the local her store and on my way to Belgium next Spring.

11-11-2013 03:22:02 | More by bonbright7

04-13-2013 01:59:40 | More by Jspriest
Chelsea1905

Washington

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice light straw like color, with large foamy head

smell of straw, some grassy hops, and some plastic

Taste is initially of plastic, then some nice crisp light malt.

Mouthfeel is light and effervescent.

Not bad, but the plastic notes ruin this from being a great Saison

04-01-2013 01:41:42 | More by Chelsea1905