Fischer Tradition Blonde - Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace

poor

Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace visit their website
France

Euro Pale Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 11-08-2003)
Reviews by soju6:
soju6

Missouri

3.23/5  rDev +14.1%

Beer has a light golden color with a good head and decent carbonation. aroma was a bit skunky but sweet. The taste was a clean and crisp, but a bit bitter. The finish was a bit sweet but with a rough aftertaste. Beer was better than I expected for a French beer. Of course the brewery is just across the Rhine River from Germany in Strassburg, France.

03-28-2010 13:55:59 | More by soju6
Popsinc

Ontario (Canada)

2.2/5  rDev -22.3%

pours a lovely golden orange, medium white head, looks appealing. the nose is mostly malts, some floral hints. taste wise, i was quite disappointed...some malt but otherwise grainy....odd metalic zip on the finish which was unpleasant. mouthfeel was coarse. overall, poor drinkability. this beer really didn't go anywhere for me. it was dull, bland and had a horrible lingering finish.

12-28-2005 01:39:08 | More by Popsinc
Billolick

2.4/5  rDev -15.2%

12 ounce bottle, it has "best before" info on the cap ("7 022") if that makes any sense to anybody our there let me know, pours clear very light amber, under a near white head and then a thick film, it leaves nice looking fine lacing. Nose is of just some corn type dustyness. Stay away from this stuff, minor flavor notes, mostly adjuncts, limited interest and enjoyment available here.

04-28-2008 01:08:32 | More by Billolick

2.75/5  rDev -2.8%

09-20-2013 18:31:10 | More by Mantooth
biboergosum

3.65/5  rDev +29%

The old world flip-top would suggest Grolsch-esque characteristics, but previous exposure has taught me otherwise...

This beer pours a slightly hazy medium pale golden colour, with lots of thin puffy white head, that melts into a fairly thorough covering of lace around the glass. The smell is very light watery white cracker malt. The taste is very light, ethereal, the mild biscuit malt taking purvey over all. The real differential here is the carbonation - it is so light and fine as to be reminiscent of sparkling wine effervescence. In fact, the finish does remind me of Cremant d'Alsace, not surprisingly, in its dryness and mouthfeel. The body is very light, and with standard Euro Pale attributes, but I can't help but be somewhat mesmerized by the bubbly in this increasingly enticing offering.

01-24-2009 06:06:21 | More by biboergosum
cokes

Wisconsin

3.45/5  rDev +21.9%

A close friend was in Europe recently, and I sent her on a beer gathering mission. When she presented me with this one, and babbled something about the "neat bottle", she could sense my mounting disappointment. I explained to her that, I've had some Fischer's before, and they have both sucked enormously. Then I lied through my teeth and thanked her anyway.

So let's just say I had very little hope for this.

Pour a sunny, unlustered golden with a well-fed, whipped white head.
Nose is grain, touched by sulfuric hops and unripe pears.
Begins with that same, unadorned white-bread graininess. The middle is clean, but not entirely vacant. Sweetens around the swallow with traces of apples and pears, both as green as they can be. Hopping is gaseous with traces of sulfur, competing with lemon and some minerality.
Light bodied (inching slightly fatter), with veins of rushing carbonation.
This certainly isn't super exciting, but it's free from the off flavors I've long associated with Fischer's products. As Euro-lagers go, I'd place this well above some of the usual suspects. I might even buy this on occasion if it were available here.

08-17-2004 04:55:51 | More by cokes
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.2/5  rDev -22.3%

Pale ale with some soapy initial bubbles, 650 ml. was way too much even for 3 of us. Too carbonated, like ginger ale. Some spice flavour in there, its like a biere de garde, overwhelmed by corn and sugar and malt and watered down. Harsh finish not discernable bitterness.

08-24-2005 02:39:11 | More by Sammy
Hatshep18

12-10-2011 18:28:45 | More by Hatshep18
joemcgrath27

3.13/5  rDev +10.6%

from notes
A - Straw gold soapy white head retained decent with some random lacing
S - Grainy malt with light fruity and earthy notes
T - Raw grains with a mineral tartness, some mustiness, fruit and boozy flavour, not bad but not altogether pleasant
M - Medium body and a litte flat with a minerally feel that drys out
O - started with a glimmer of hope but its a very average brew

09-19-2012 23:01:32 | More by joemcgrath27
dhannes

Wisconsin

3.25/5  rDev +14.8%

A=Honey golden with a slightly foamy head (this pour was from the day after opening the bottle).

S=Faint smell of white wine...cannot detect hops or any other "beer" smell.

T=Sweet, with a strong hint of white grape and a light beer flavor. Had I not poured it from a beer bottle, I may have thought that this was a strong, sweet white wine mixed with mead.

M=Good...nice substance, not watered down...sweet carbonation present.

D=I'm referring back to the full glass I had last night...I think the drinkability depends on the accompanying food and season, e.g. I see this as outstanding for a picnic in the hot summer if looking for a sweeter beer than normal. A bit too sweet for me to drink several glasses of.

12-06-2010 22:35:16 | More by dhannes
LacquerHead

3.63/5  rDev +28.3%

It poured a hazy straw color with a thin white head.

There was a subtle grainy straw aroma that had a hint of floralness.

The taste was similar to the aroma. It had a straw-like flavor. There was a honey type sweetness that lingered in the back. It also had a very slight sour taste. It was kind of "farm-house" in nature.

It had soft flavors but a surprisingly carbonated bite.

Overall, it was worth a try. Given the style and the other beers that fall in its category this was not a bad beer. The price was okay, maybe a little too much for what's in the bottle, but still decent. I liked this one compared to the Amber. It was certainly better then some other Euro Pale Lagers I know, i.e., Heineken, Stella Artois, and Peroni, to name a few.

12-02-2010 18:07:11 | More by LacquerHead
ChrisCage

3.4/5  rDev +20.1%

A- Poured a pale golden color that is crystal clear. Lots of bubbles are present and the head is quite decent, being a couple of inches thick and the retention is very good, settling down to a thick foamy layer on top of the liquid. Nice sticky lacing clings to the side of the glass as well. The packaging compliments the initial look, coming in a noble glass with a flip top, which is cool!

S- It has a skunky aroma right off the bat, but after a little air, it softens up to a more herbal/mineral aroma. There is a dry grain smell to this as well, along with some mild sweet malts.

T- I taste more of the mineral notes that are present in the aroma....not really bitter in terms of hops, but more of a dusty dryness....hard to explain. There is also some mild sweet malts, but nothing prominent. I've read some of the other reviews and I agree with tasting a fair bit of the bready flavors but again, to me, it reminds me more like a dry biscuit taste. Overall it's a mild flavor.

M- Lighter bodied, crisp and refreshing best sums this beer up. The carbonation is plentiful but the bubbles are fine, still offering a good zing on the palate. The dryness of the beer keeps my palate wanting more.

D- I first tried this as a sample at a beer tasting in town, and was intrigued. I'm not disappointed with this one....I like the moderate bitterness and malt balance, and think this would be a good beer to have with a sausage dinner. Also would go well with a good cheddar. I would have no problem drinking this beer over an evening.

11-25-2009 03:17:15 | More by ChrisCage
BoitSansSoif

France

2.95/5  rDev +4.2%

A-Nice-looking white rocky head and clear light golden body. Decent retention and some nice lacing.

S-Faint floral/herbal noble hops w/some skunk notes, bits of minerals, and slight metallic edge. These aromas dominate a malt and grain character that lurks underneath w/a faint sweetness.

T&M-Flavor comes together nicely but falls apart a bit in the finish. Upfront slightly sweet malt w/metallic tones taking over midway and lingering into the dry finish, joined by faint floral and herbal hops that coat the tongue and remain in the aftertaste. The feeling is cool and refreshing, but the flavor alternates from pleasant to unpleasant through the mouth. The hops offer most of the character to this brew, but I'm not sure the choice of hops is best, citing the slightly skunky and metallic aftertaste. Carbonation is rather charged, and works well.

D-Refreshing and drinkable, low-priced, okay.

10-11-2009 16:40:18 | More by BoitSansSoif
evlu1441

3.35/5  rDev +18.4%

It pours a nice medium coppery golden colour, with a thin but not insubstantial head.

The smell is slightly creamy, and dominated by smooth malt aromas and a faint kind of graham cracker smell.

The taste is broad and malty, with some biscuity aspects and a hint of sweetness. Nothing too complex here. It's a bit heavy on the carbonation for my taste, but that's a minor criticism.

Overall, this is a nice lager that stands out a bit from other typical European beers. At the same time, it isn't exactly memorable.

02-01-2012 22:07:10 | More by evlu1441
IronDjinn

2.17/5  rDev -23.3%

So this is back on the shelves again, or at least some incarnation of the Fischer line, the likes of which I haven't seen around here since I was a cheese-eating college boy and drawn in by the large swing-top bottles.

I wasn't sure if I had the correct beer or not until I took a sip and read some of the reviews, as this label only proclaims Fischer Traditional, and they've finally switched the boy on the barrel logo to that of a chopped up resemblance of Chartres cathedral superimposed behind the name. Comes in a 650 ml brown swing-top bottle, label is only around the neck, abv at 6%.

It's decent looking for what it is, clear medium gold bodied strong lager, big thick sticky white head with lots of lacing. The nose is a little ripe though, akin to that of domestic macro adjunct lagers, that of sour metallic grains, a touch of corn, and who knows what pantheon of unknown adjuncts and preservatives linger below the surface. The flavour runs along this line as well, sour grains run the race throughout, with faint astringent hops to wave the flag at the finish. The mouthfeel for this style is actually better than I expected, light, a bit watery at first, but smooth and creamy for the most part, although the carbonation gets a bit raspy from time to time on the finish. Average, but at least not obnoxious or offensive. I must admit though that the sight of this stuff on the shelves once again (I had my fair share of the Hoopla, Bitter and Amber in my "big bottles of the import beer for the party" college days) brings mixed feelings. I now remember why I stopped buying this stuff in the first place before it disappeared from the local market, but the 650 ml brown swing-top bottles are to this day still tempting for my own home brewing efforts. I can see myself buying a few more of these just to up the ante of my bottling stock, but I wouldn't be draining the bottles of their contents with any real pleasure. In fact if it wasn't for the bottle itself I would have debated picking up this stuff once again in the first place. If you're looking for a decent import to sample, then pass this one by, it's not worth your hard earned clams.

07-01-2005 16:53:44 | More by IronDjinn
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.05/5  rDev +7.8%

Flip-top 65cl brown bottle, picked up during a beer raid into Europe at a Channel port booze warehouse (Pidou in Dunkirk actually, don't you know?). Best before Aug 2009, drank Aug 2008.

Poured most into a Duvel glass and the rest (for the wife) into a Veltins Pilsner stemmed tulip glass. Looked good in both glasses, large white head, which stayed for a while before fading to a clingy covering until the end. Mid amber body with good carbonisation rising through the beer.

Yeast, straw and hops vie for a place in the aroma, none of them winning, so a mixed bag for a smell.

Very dry and bitter taste, not what I was expecting at all. I had been cutting logs and generally getting sweaty before I had this and wanted something refreshing, wrong choice. Not sure what to add, without slanging it off, which would be a bit unfair.

Strange beer, looks good and is well packaged. It just doesn't deliver what it appears to promise. Nothing wrong with it, but it didn't Rock my Boat.

08-03-2008 16:15:32 | More by BlackHaddock
cdrogers

3.73/5  rDev +31.8%

From bottle to pilsner glass. A lot of carbonation going on, reminded me of a sparkling wine or Champagne. Nice appearance for a lager in my opinion. Strong amber. Not really picking a lot out of this one as far as smell goes, really not reminding me of anything familiar. Taste does somewhat hint of a pear, but quite subtle. The carbonation is funky and reminds me too much of a sparkling wine, not enjoying it much. Overall I'm glad I tried it but not something I would pick again. Make sure it is very cold.

08-22-2010 04:25:40 | More by cdrogers
twiggamortis420

3.53/5  rDev +24.7%

22 oz fliptop without any freshness date pours a very clear, medium gold color with a creamy cap of white foam. Retention is pretty good for the style, as is the lacing. Not a bad looker for a lager, if indeed it is such...my bottle says Ale, might be a TABC thing.

Smells like a Euro lager though, light and sweet grainy malts are the main show with a dab of honey here and a light floral hop aroma over there. Smells a bit lighter and sweeter than the amber version that bears the same name. Neither are all that pleasant however.

For me, this one is much more enjoyable than the amber, although that is not saying a whole helluva lot. The sweet malts are actually pretty nice and honeyed. There is not the toasty aspirin flavor I remember from that one. There is a definite yeasty bread flavor and somewhat stale cardboard aspect that detracts from the crisp freshness that the beer surprisingly exhibits a decent amount of. Some grassy hops come in at the end and balance it out fairly well. I went into this one expecting a train wreck and came out a little surprised (Yes, I am a glutton for punishment). I did not have much trouble finishing the 22 oz'er, although I most likely will not be buying again...but how many Euro Lagers make you come back for more? For the style this one is pretty decent.

04-02-2010 01:52:54 | More by twiggamortis420
Stoffel

2.5/5  rDev -11.7%

01-01-2012 16:09:59 | More by Stoffel
Globetrotter

2.53/5  rDev -10.6%

Comes in a 33cl brown bottle with a white porcelain swing-top cap that came completely off the bottle when I opened it. There's only a neck label, leaving the view clear to the design on the glass, which I swear looks like an 8 year old boy sitting on a keg and chugging from a mug bigger than his head. Ingredients include corn and glucose. Best before 5/04, I opened it on 1/23/04.

Pours a clear standard gold under a 1.5 finger white head that does not manage to stay around very long and leaves just a few spots of lace. Smell is subdued malt and a touch of that corn. The mouth is a touch sour-heavy and medium carbonated. The taste is pretty uninspiring, with the corn quite evident, but the sugar well hidden by grain and a hint of lemon. There's not much hop in the finish, leaving a foamy grain aftertaste that doesn't exactly inspire great desire for another sip.

01-24-2004 19:58:24 | More by Globetrotter
jasonjlewis

3.3/5  rDev +16.6%

This beer pours a nice 1 1/2 finger head and a nice orange/blonde color.

Smell is of pale malts and faint faint hops. Simple euro lager stuff

Taste is of pale malts and some simple hops. There are some dry tannins that are a tiny bit off putting. There is a bit of astringency as well which shouldn't be there in a beer of this style.

Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. However, as the beer warms ever so slightly it is a bit too dry.

Pretty typical euro lager. nothing special.

09-10-2008 22:43:27 | More by jasonjlewis
Kryptonight

3.5/5  rDev +23.7%

07-28-2013 11:57:14 | More by Kryptonight
dsa7783

3.73/5  rDev +31.8%

12 fl oz bottle just purchased from New Beer Distributors on Chrystie Street in Manhattan...
First-time I've ever heard of this brew or brewery...
Appearance: An aggressive pour yielded a full, five-fingered thick foamy, frothy head... Clear golden hue...
Smell: Musty, slightly tart aroma with minimal hints of ginger and vanilla...
Taste: Crisp, clean, refreshing flavor replete with hints of candied sugars, green apples... Sweet finish
Drinking this is a breeze... No alcohol detectable on the tongue... Light-bodied stuff...
Not bad...

10-15-2008 22:03:38 | More by dsa7783
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a dirty gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, honey, grain and some spice.

T: The taste is sweet and bready with flavors of honey, spices and caramel. The malt character is thin and there's a mild hops presence, but overall there isn't much to it. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, decent representation of style, not too bad of a beer but it's not one that I'd choose again if I had much of a selection to pick from.

01-25-2009 01:43:26 | More by TheManiacalOne