Adelscott - Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-26-2002

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 57 | Reviews: 40
2.57/5  rDev -2.7%

bottle poured a light copper beer into the glass, small, fast to vanish cap...aggressive carbonation. Sweetness over some smokey tones in the aroma..had "dutch skunk" possibly from the clear bottle. Sweet and bland with liquid smoke type flavor...cheap and processed flavor and character. Will not be revisiting this one.

3.97/5  rDev +50.4%

Pours an orange color with a nice white head. Smells strongly of peated malt, very smokey. Taste has a nice peat smokey flavor with a slight hint of hops. The mouthfeel is good, with just the right level of carbination for this beer. A good smoked beer.

3.03/5  rDev +14.8%

The label reads: "The malt used to brew this beer is peat-smoked according to the procedures used for the production of whiskey." Furthermore the label reveals that this beer contains sugar, corn, and caramel in addition to the usual ingredients. I've only had one other peat malt beer before, which was a homebrew, and it was actually pretty good.

Except for the head, Adelscott sure looks like scotch, with a crystal clear orange-copper color, but it really doesn't have much in the way of a scotch aroma. There is a caramel sweetness followed by a noticeable peat smoke aftertaste. Altogether it's not an unpleasant flavor combination, but it is a little odd. Doubtless the people at Fischer felt the peatiness needed all that sugar to bring things back into balance.

1.28/5  rDev -51.5%

First French beer I tried on my European tour this past summer. I got it on tap in some bar in Paris trying as many beers I’d never heard of before.
Nice Dark brown yet translucent color. I remember thinking it looked very appetizing. It went straight downhill from there.
I don’t really remember how it smelled, probably comparable to the taste.
Now, as for exact taste details, I fortunately remember very little. I do remember however, coming up with a representation that could perhaps portray the horribleness that cost me 6 euros. This beer tasted as if one took a run of the mill brown ale(on the malty side), added a wee bit of scotch, then aged it in some French bog workers old boot for about a year. A nice pungent leathery taste evened out with sourness one would expect from foot bacteria. MMMM!!! If you see this brew, I recommend you try it; it really puts beer in perspective. Excuse my French

3.4/5  rDev +28.8%

The Alsatian brewery Fischer tries to produce “foreign” beers: Adelscott is a beer brewed with whisky malt, but made in Strasbourg, France (Desperados is a tequila flavored beer that tries to sound Mexican but that’s produced in Strasbourg, France too, but that’s a different story). The soft head lasted longer than I expected and looked actually quite nice on the orange color body. The smell was quite interesting; very malty and earthy, with nice notes of smoke, some smoked bacon (hmmm), some pleasant cow dung/ barn notes and some fresh-cut grass. I appreciated the taste less than the smell. Still malty, sweet, earthy, fresh and smoky. But, whereas after the first sip you’re like “this is innovative” (the label says Adelscott, the different beer), after a while I thought “this is getting boring”. My pint was hard to finish. Mouthfeel is round and a bit creamu, quite smooth, but a bit weak, close to being watery. Still, I don't regret the fact that I bought this beer.

1.03/5  rDev -61%

The beer poured with a good head, but there was something about the way it poured that made me think it would be bad. It had a very smoky smell, but also quite skunky. It had me wondering if the clear bottle had somehow made it go bad.

The taste was an experience I will not soon forget, although I have tried. It was very sweet and smoky, with a strong taste of peat moss and dirt. The only way I can describe it is to imagine sucking a Budweiser through a peat moss flowerpot.

I am very glad I was able to buy a single of this one, and as it was I only took 2 sips before throwing the rest out. The first was to taste, the second was because I couldn't believe how bad it tasted. If I had to sum it up in one word, that word would be ghastly.

2.6/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: dark amber, good clarity, not much foam develops, just a thin layer floating in the center

Aroma: lightly peaty, toasy malt sweetness, leather, campfire smoke on the beach

Flavor: creamy malt sweetness with low to no hop flavor or bitterness, slight acidity, twinge of peat but not enough to be off-puttting, finishes semi-sweet with a slight aftertaste like artificial sweetener and leather

Mouthfeel: medium body, low carbonation, alcohol warmth similar to that of whisky (or maybe that's just my imagination)

Overall Impression: Smells drier than it tastes. The sweetness surprised me. The scent of leather is quite strange. One second it grosses me out, next second it's enticing.

The ingredients listed are: water, malt, maize, whisky malt, sugar, aromatic compound, caramel, hops, ascorbic acid. So, quite a bit of adjuncts and a mysterious sounding "aromatic compound". This is probably why it has that artificial aftertaste.

1.4/5  rDev -47%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

50cl can: An amber/brown color with a bit of a head. What is that smell? God, was it fairly sweet. There was a muskiness to it also. Kind of like ripe old socks. I really wasn’t sure what the taste is. I don’t think they put bad whiskey in there, or did they? I thought that maybe they used a different barley malt that would have made it into scotch, but I can’t figure out what they did. Hopefully they won’t do it much longer.

1.24/5  rDev -53%

I kind of wondered what kind of beer this was, as the label was in French. I guess "whisky" means the same thing in both languages. Clear pale brown color with a thin light tan head. Very little lacing. The aroma is a perplexing mixture of smoke, alcohol and sweet caramel. The flavor can best be described as charred malt and bile. I could barely get down a mouthful of this stuff. Maybe the clear bottle is to blame, or maybe this is just a horrid beer. The finish is nasty and had me burping smoke flavor the rest of the evening. Truly an awful experience.

3.06/5  rDev +15.9%

Ingredients: Malt, hops, corn, sugar, aroma, caramel, houblon, antioxidants.

Small white head on an opaque amber body with minimal lacing.

Scotch whiskey and rubber aroma

Little to no bitterness to speak of, rather sweet, which reminds me of a a Belgian of course. This also reminds of Islay Darkest. Caramel is present as is the alcohol.

3.5/5  rDev +32.6%

Smoked beer? As in Rauchbier? weird.

Pleasant beer nonetheless. A bit off the lager sorta feel, considering the taste (go figure perhaps a bit smokey whaddoiknow) is rather a nice sweet blend off a regular of the genre.

Dark toned, slight malty nose. rather provocative. The taste as Ive said is nice and the finishing bitterness, slight but adequately proportionate to the abundance of taste. Ok to try.

An excellent smoke beer brewed with peat malt. This stuff is a dark amber in colour with no head to be found. The aromas are all smoke, heavy malts, and alcohol. The taste is very smoky and malty, with no booze to be found. The mouthfeel is thin and watery, and the drinkability is not the best...

4.03/5  rDev +52.7%

Sampled on tap at Cafe Jardin L'Arrosoir

The color is a burnt caramel, bourbon color with a very thin white head. Fair amounts of lacing and bubbles running up the sides.

Smelled of sweet malt, smoke, char, whiskey, and whiskey barrels. I love whiskey, but this smells a bit too sweet, almost like cheep whiskey, but not quite rotgut.

Taste is much better than the smell. Taste of caramel, sweet malt, alcohol, peat, and char. The alcohol seemed a bit strong for 6.4% and it was a bit sweet, but again I like whiskey. My wife said it tasted like a Diet Dr. Pepper, and I like Dr. Pepper, but didn't quite make that association.

Medium body with medium-high carbonation. Very different from your average beer and certainly not for everybody. I liked it though.

3.55/5  rDev +34.5%

One of the most unusual (odd) brews around. Peat smoked whiskey malt gives this beer a hint of a single malt. Foggy Amber/Brown in color with a full body. Medium hops are hidden in the smoke. Smoky in aroma. A rapidly dissipating head leaves a trace of lace. Akin to licking the inside of a chimney... but in a good way. Roll the bottle gently before opening to dislodge any bit and particles if you dare.

2.14/5  rDev -18.9%

I usually don't like sweet beers, and this is no exception. This beer is very sweet, made from a form of peat malt. Almost slimey mouthfeel. Perhaps I had a bad bottle. Will sample again when I get the chance.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »