Fischer Bitter - Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace

Fischer BitterFischer Bitter

Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace visit their website
France

Euro Pale Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 09-05-2001)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Ego:
Ego

3.58/5  rDev +23.4%

eyes....
nice size green swingtop bottle, straw to more golden in hue, chunky 2 fingers of craggy head, retains decently enough, lacing is OK, some carbonation rising up. yep, everything I just described is pretty much average.. and this is pretty much average for the style...

nose...
my first thought was keller beer for some reason, I suppose the lager yeast? a decent mixture of mild grassy hops and sweet malts and just a hint of skunk.. I kind of enjoy it, butter me noodled and call me alphonso...

taste etc...
I like where the carbonation is at on this one, it prickles just enough and is refreshing, a very light tasting beer with just a hair above light body, some lingering bitterness in the aftertaste but not overly so (especially if you are used to al the american IPAs etc). Almost a honey like flavor to the malts. A very easy drinking brew.

verdict?
a nice beer to have at the ballpark on a summer day.. if it were BYOB... Sure, do I usually gravitate towards something more complex and challenging? yeah but most beers do have their place.

08-27-2006 02:29:56 | More by Ego

szmnnl99

03-24-2012 21:37:32 | More by szmnnl99
kinger

3.18/5  rDev +9.7%

The only reason i first bought this beer was for the flip top bottles which I figured would hold my home brews rather nicely. At first I wasn't too thrilled with the taste, but by my third glass it started to grow on me. Smells like a european pale lager for sure. There was more than ample head provided with lacing that clung to the glass the entire time. The taste is above average and certainly different to what I'm accustomed to. This is generally not my style of beer but for some reason I really enjoyed this beer. Too bad that I haven't been able to find it for some time now I sure would like some more of those 22 ounce flip tops. Besides the bottle has a very cool shape to it.

07-29-2008 19:44:53 | More by kinger
RblWthACoz

3.93/5  rDev +35.5%

Pours a slightly hazy deep gold with some off white head. Nose is heavy towards apple. Flavor is quite smooth with, yes, a bitter tone in the background, though not predominately so. At the start you get what seems like a bit of a sweetness. Feel is slightly watery with a slight carbonation to it. Very drinkable, though for some that "bitter" might detract. For it being this style, I am impressed. Worth a shot.

12-30-2007 08:54:31 | More by RblWthACoz
brantadid

3.28/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pilsner glass. Poured a straw yellow color with very little head. Looked like it had a moderate amount of carbonation. Tasting confirmed it. Nice fizziness about this beer.

It had a yeasty, sour smell. Slighty bitter or sour flavor. It is very crisp and refreshing. Interesting floral quality on the far back palate. Like muted wild flowers.

Overall, a nice beer for a hot summer day.

10-24-2007 01:59:44 | More by brantadid
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.15/5  rDev +8.6%

Swing top bottle pours an effervescent lemon.golden with 3 fingers of white head. Stellar lacing & head retention

S: Slight malt sweetness & iron

T: Malt sweetness, a little grainyness, & slightly grainyness up front. Slight butterscotch & cardboard as this continues. Finishes with a little honey malt, grapefruitty, quenching & a little dry

MF: Medium bodied with okay balance

Drinks alright, just doesnt quite come together. Worth a try, would let this warm up a little more next time

02-02-2007 04:39:35 | More by russpowell
thelagerheads

2.58/5  rDev -11%

I bought this mainly for the swing-top bottle for homebrewing. I figured instead of paying $3 for an empty bottle I'd put down a dollar more and get a brew out of the deal. It wasn't worth much more than that empty sterilized sparkling green bottle I would have gotten plus I'd still have my hard-won buck-a-bill. I remember my brother collected beer cans when I was a wee little animal and many of the names of the empty cans come flying through my head at odd moments for no particular reason. Schmidts. Rolling Rock. Red, White & Blue. Old Frothingslosh! But the one that came to mind when I tasted this one and still does is Champale! I think there was a standard version and a pink concoction. I never tasted them but this is what I would imagine that it tasted like: a beer and a cheap champagne spilled into the same bucket and consumed by the deprived and the profane. A limp-wristed little back biter that gives you the throw-up face with a little lemon squeezed into the bile.

06-23-2006 00:28:03 | More by thelagerheads
DrunkMcDermott

3.33/5  rDev +14.8%

An attractive green swing-top bottle makes me favorably disposed toward this brew, though I know this could make it a bit skunky. Yet upon pouring it offers a big bitter aroma, a bit skunky indeed, but not off-putting. Color is pale yellow, with a slight haze, and a frothy head. After getting a noseful of bitterness, the first taste is actually somewhat sweet. Despite low ABV, it’s actually rather warming. Taste becomes bitter as you go further down, then brings out some dryness and finally a touch of champagne. Hop bill goes straight for the bitterness, with a little pepper. I dunno, I just liked this.

03-30-2006 16:12:38 | More by DrunkMcDermott
jameaterblues

2.95/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a beautiful resealable bottle a nice golden color with a huge head almost 2inches into a pilsner glass. The head stuck around for a couple minutes and left a really wonderful lacing. This beer gets points for presentation, but unfortunately goes down hill from there. The smell is of light hops and sweet malts. Almost a little fruit lingering behind the overwhelming musky smell that I think is characteristic of the Euro lagers. Taste: is of mild hops on the tip which quickly diminishes into a malty body, and a slightly bitter after taste. The carbonation appears to be much more than it actually is(it is moderate, but looks high in the glass) I had kinda high expectations for this beer, I had always heard good things, but I am slightly disappointed. I guess that it just doesn't stand up to some others of the style in my eyes. Overall this beer is fairly easy to drink, and the bitterness is not too overwhelming. Not bad, but not great. I wish the taste stood up to the presentation.

03-28-2006 06:53:14 | More by jameaterblues
Redrover

2.98/5  rDev +2.8%

1 pint 6 oz green swing top. Minimal label on neck. No freshness dating.

The beer pours a bright gold with a massive white head. Sticky lacing.

The beer smells of floral hops, grass and bit of sulfur.

The taste is somewhat grassy with a bit of light bitterness and floral hops. The sulfur taste lingers barely noticeable in the background. I was hoping for a bit more bitterness from a bitter …. Turns a bit sour late.

Very thin mouth. A somewhat drinkable beer, but not one I would search out on a regular basis.

I know they call this a beer of Alsace, but any area once part of Germany should be able to produce a better beer!

08-18-2005 00:48:49 | More by Redrover
RedDiamond

3.85/5  rDev +32.8%

What’s with all the low marks on this one? Fischer’s Bitter is a nice drinkable beer. From the outside in we start with the classy flip-top bottle that every home brewer has dozens of in their basement. (I do.) Popping the ceramic cap results in a gushing of suds spilling out like jubilant champagne. The beer glugs awkwardly from the bottle but soon forms a very white, airy head with clinging suds. Despite the initial surge of foam, the carbonation soon turns sluggish.

The lightly clouded, lemon-yellow body yields a dull bitter aroma. The taste is simple, bitter, refreshing, and inspires the appetite. This is a nice, mellow summer beer (an ale?) that would serve admirably on a picnic with a piece of cold chicken and some cucumber salad. I’m with Jason on this one.

08-17-2005 19:24:18 | More by RedDiamond
granger10

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thought I'd give this a try. Upon opening its burst out all over my friends floor leaving me with about half the bottle. wtf!? That was odd and I'm pissed, I know it wasn't shaken or anything. After I can finally pour the beer it comes out with a huge head. Slight red tint to the otherwise pale yellow body. Very, very carbonated. Aroma is kind of skunky and a little grainy. I guess I get bitterness too, but it's mostly skunky to me. This bottle could be old but with no dating I can't tell. Flavor has a little malt but barely any. A decent fruity hop flavor is there but its mostly bitterness. Finish is acidic and unpleasing. The start is alright really but I can't take the finish. Not too good. Atleast the bottle is cool.

06-12-2005 19:29:20 | More by granger10
BobLuvBeer

3.5/5  rDev +20.7%

Golden color with nice lacing and good head retention. Slightly hopped in the aroma. Traces of flora hops drift to the nose. Taste is disappointing. Hop is very mild for something called a bitter. Aftertaste is very pleasing and smooth. Beer is actually well balanced and overall pleasing. If I wasn’t looking for a bitter, I would have been extremely pleased.

03-13-2005 17:53:32 | More by BobLuvBeer
coasterfreak75

2.5/5  rDev -13.8%

The pour was a light golden yellow with a good two finger choppy white head that quickly dissapated and left a thin white lace on top of the beer.

The smell was a pungent pilsner smell, very heavy in sour hops and light skunk. As the beer warmed a sweet malt scent crept into the nose.

The drink started with a thin offering of sweet malts with a slight fruit kick. The middle was a quick hit of light hops followed by a clean watery finish. There was a complete and total lack of flavor that lingered after the drink.

I was quite unimpressed with the watered down flavors and light nose. Still with the clean finish it was a refreshing beer. Might hide one or two of these in the beer fridge for a lawnmower beer this summer.

01-30-2005 04:12:47 | More by coasterfreak75
TheLongBeachBum

2.75/5  rDev -5.2%

Presentation: A very distinctive 1 Pint 6 fl.oz. (22 ounce) green glass bottle which has the words ‘FISCHER Bière d’Alsace’ embossed on the neck, with four large oval motifs embossed on the concave body. The unique look is completed with the used of a ceramic swing top. No freshness date, but there is a smudged black ink mark on the ceramic cap that may well have been a legible date at some point. Only a thin orange fading to green top to bottom paper label that covers the swing top decorates the bottle. Listed as ‘Fischer Alsace Bitter’, and 4.9% alc./vol.

Appearance: Light yellow-golden body, macro lager look overall that is far from offensive but leaves one with some trepidation about what to expect once this gets in the mouth. Exceptionally lucid body reveals many a streamer, again supporting the macro look. The massive frothy and crusty off-white head however forms a rocky floating mass from the fiery carbonation as this is poured into my Imperial Pint Glass. It soon relaxes to meteor hit surface which in turn eventually settles down to a thin ¼” but not before it leaves some very nice looking lace on the Glass walls.

Nose: Sharp floral hops and some cheap white wine like character. Extremely light toasted malts mingle with some fresh cut grass which lead you back to the floral aspects of the hops, or hop oils that are used.

Taste: Classic French Hop profile, they are there, but they are typically restrained in character and add only a floral-bitterness. At times, this drinks like a perfumed cheap Champagne of sorts. Lively, zesty feel on the tongue pin pricks the cheeks with grassy hay like bitterness. The malts are exceptionally mild and always take a back seat. Finishes with a very dry end, Brut-ish; again the finish reminds me of a super dry White Wine. A little off-putting at times. Realtively clean but not that appealing on a few levels.

Mouthfeel: Strange feel overall, typically Euro-Lager like in consistency, spritzy carbonation on the tongue leaves some floral bitterness on the cheeks – which yet again, feels closer to a cheap sparkling bubbly for me.

Drinkability: Easy enough on the senses, but not something that I could drink all night; I could only handle a couple of these to be honest on a hot day, and maybe even with a spicy meal.

Overall: The word Bitter can be misleading if you are unfamiliar with French Bière, but in the context that it is set in, this *is* a relatively bitter offering, though nothing outstanding, and it most certainly should not be confused with the English interpretation of the style, or the levels of bitterness seen in some US hop-monsters. Not that bad, but nothing that would have me jumping on a plane to Charles de Gaulle Airport, nor even crossing the Channel from England come to think about it. Clean and worth a try, but just the once.

01-17-2005 00:57:38 | More by TheLongBeachBum
Citadel82

3.18/5  rDev +9.7%

Yet another Euro-Lager masquerading as a something more...

Lovely bottle and poured a delicate hazy pale straw with a rocky thick lacy head. There however is the apex...the smell is rather musty and citrusy the taste is definitely tilted to the hoppy end of the spectrum to the extinguisment of all other pretense of balance. Mouthfeel was thin and effervescent. Drinkable but only once in a while. There are better Euro-Lagers for less money.

12-13-2004 18:27:44 | More by Citadel82
diamonddave

3.75/5  rDev +29.3%

Wasn't sure what to expect with this beer, but I figured it was worth buying if only because the empty bottle would look cool on the "beers I've tried" shelf in the kitchen. Looks like one o' them big Grolsch bottles. For $2.29, why not give it a try?

The label says "bitter". I'm not sure why. This reminds me, in the smell and in the taste, of nothing so much as sourdough bread. The smell is grainy and, okay, a little bitter. But the taste is all grain and some yeast with a wee little bit of hoppy finish. Given the look of the bottle, I fully expected this to taste like Heineken. Whenever I expect something to taste like Heineken and it doesn't, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Smooth beer, goes down easy. I'll definitely pick up another bottle or two next time I'm on a beer-buying expedition.

10-03-2004 18:42:19 | More by diamonddave
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.8/5  rDev -3.4%

Attractive bottle with a swing-top cap, but why oh why do I have to be subjected to more skunkilicious green glass? Hazy amber-gold with a beautiful alabaster head that is sticky enough to leave attractive, intricate lace all over the pint glass. This is good looking beer.

The nose is a disappointment and is the poster child for the Euro Pale Lager style: slightly skunky noble hops and sour grain. Thankfully, the flavor isn't quite as bad. It possesses a mild, grassy, slightly lemony vibe that avoids the sharp, harsh bitterness of the truly bad versions of this style.

There isn't an abundance of malt present, although I do appreciate an underlying sweetness that has to be malt-related. The finish is short due to the mild flavor and the too-thin body. Since the beer is fairly innocuous in all respects, I should be able to finish the bottle without too much difficulty.

Fischer Bitter is acceptable, but not much better than that. It may be in the top half of the green-bottled Euro Pale Lager category (barely), but that's damning with faint praise if I've ever heard it.

09-15-2004 20:57:39 | More by BuckeyeNation
RootedFool

Pours with a pillowy, bright white head. Body is light, flat gold.

Smell: a few hints of dead grass, some floral sweetness, closing on a gritty earthiness.

Taste: opens with a musty nudge of malts deep down on my palate, followed by a raspy middle of slightly spicy hop bitterness (just a touch of black pepper) that lingers on my tongue, followed by a watered down citrus (lemon) crispness as it closes out.

Mouthfeel: not too watery, not too thick, just right for a session brew -- it never intrudes.

Eh, had to give it a try.

09-04-2004 04:25:29 | More by RootedFool
Reidrover

3.3/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Saw this at the Capitol Market in Salem, thought I might as well give it a go, seeing how attractive the bottle was.
looks pretty inviting in the glass pale , ever so slight haze,nice sized bubbly white head, goes fast but leaves substancial lace.
Smell is slightly "skunked" but not that bad..some nice grassy ,Euro style hops.
The taste is better than I expected,,its a typical European lager but they have done a good job meshing the quite substancial malts with a good hop bite..quite smooth and only small bitter aftertaste.
Mouthfeel was a letdown though a wee bit too thin even for a lager..slightly watery.
This is actually not a bad beer for its style I was expecting much worse after their Amber I tasted earlier in the year.

08-08-2004 04:43:37 | More by Reidrover
ElGordo

3.33/5  rDev +14.8%

Figured I'd drink something French to celebrate Bastille Day. Comes in a 22oz swing-top green bottle, which thankfully was kept dark enough to keep it from being skunky. Pours a clear golden hue with minimal head, and fairly large bubbles. Nice crisp, clean smell of light hops and some yeast. Lightly astringent on the front of the palate, becoming bitter towards the back. Well-balanced flavor, with notes of light honey, sharp hops, and a faint flourish of citrus towards the front. Mouthfeel is slightly foamy, but overall pretty good. Vive la France!

07-15-2004 02:11:36 | More by ElGordo
maxpower

Missouri

2.78/5  rDev -4.1%

Clear golden color with a nice white foamy head that doesn't last very long, does leave some lacing. Light earthy hay and grassy aromas, somewhat balanced grainy, flowery flavors, light bodied with a crisp and carbonated mouthfeel, finishes dry and bitter.

07-09-2004 00:57:56 | More by maxpower