Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Fischer Tradition Amber - Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace

Fischer Tradition AmberFischer Tradition Amber

poor

Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace visit their website
France

Euro Dark Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fischer Tradition Amber Alström Bros
1.16/5  rDev -59.4%

Wow I'm not one to post reviews but I just want to warn other people to not get this beer. The french should stick to wine.
Poured a yellowey light amber with very minimal head. Little to no lacing.
Smell reminded me of a bad cider.
The beer tasted like rotten apples mixed with a bad batch of wheat.
Just over all bad beer. If you've gotten this I'm sorry I hope you have a decent beer to wash it down. (405 characters)

1.17/5  rDev -59.1%

My girlfriend picked this up by accident based on the brown flip-top bottle, normally she boycotts France products.

Appearance - clear amber with a miniscule amount of head

Smell - I had to pass this around for validation, my first association was with a wet dog, after further discussion it might be a damp shirt from a non-deodorant wearing European on a hot day at the bahnhof

Taste - rough, cheap lager

Mouthfeel - not smooth whatsoever, fortunately, the excessive carbonation scraped the putrid taste off my palate like steel wool, "clean" finish

Drinkability - due to good genes, my body grew a quick resistance to this liquid after the first sip, after a few confirmation sips, the remainder was smartly poured down the sink with no guilt at all

Boycott of France continues... (789 characters)

1.17/5  rDev -59.1%

Picked up a 1pint 6 fl oz. flip top bottle at Country Store aboard Camp Pendleton, CA. This bottle looked interersting and was the only bottle I hadn't tried amongst the ever dwindeling selection.

Nice "POP!" when opening, that was the best part of this brew.

Pours a light amber with a thick froathy white head. Moderate carbonation.

Has a strange sour yeast scent to it, I'm not sure if it is supposed to smell this way but it is rather unpleasant, like rotten butthole.

Light on the palate with a slick texture. Light malt sweetness and a sour fruitiness to it. Maybe a faint spiciness. A slow sour bitterness like glue on the palate. It tastes better than it smells that's for sure. Struck out with this one. Good t hing I only purchased one bottle. Taste does not improve as it warms up it gets worse. Am I at a UConn kegger pounding Natty light? good God this is disgusting!

Don't let the bottle decieve you this beer sucks ass!

Cheers! (960 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -55.6%

Poured into a Stella Artois glass.

A-First of all I couldn't get the damn bottle open, which has NEVER happened to me before, especially with a flip-top. After using the vise-grips to pry the stuck top, I "managed" to pour the beer into it's awaiting glass. There was no head...None. Zip. A few slow bubbles in the amber liquid suggested this was beer. Bad start.
S-Some sweetish malts....
T-Tastes like a shot of rum in a glass of water. Actually I'd rather drink that than this beer. Vague brown sugar notes. No hops. Disappointing dishwater comes to mind. Damn, this drink is the devil....not in a "Duvel" way, either....
M-The three bubbles I noticed when pouring were the only ones in this non-carbonated, water-like "beer"....worst mouthfeel, ever. Seriously...wet paper garbage...no redeeming qualities whatsoever...
D-Undrinkable. I dumped it. That (almost) never happens to me either....

CRUX: UNDRINKABLE LIQUID HERE. Lord knows how old this bottle is, but this is, hands down, the worst beer I've had in a long time, maybe ever....?? Jesus, what an ordeal!.... I got this cos it was only a buck, and it had the flip-top, which is usually a good sign, and not knowing anything, I took a chance....maybe now I'll learn that a flip-top doesn't =quality. Was the $1.00 worth the pleasure of writing this bad review? I'd say the point is moot.

After this beer, christ, I REALLY need a BEER... (1,413 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -50.7%

A: Transparent amber with a thick, bubbly head and plenty of lacing.

S: Spicy malts come through most prominently. Hops are almost non-existent.

T: Strong malts. Mostly (rotten) fruit and clove. A little bit sour (as has been said here already). Almost no discernible hops. It's sort of like an Olde English 40 oz., but a little weaker and therefore, less disgusting. I honestly couldn't finish it. Awful.

M: Medium-thin body with a nice, dry finish. Lots of carbonation.

D: Ended up pouring this down the drain. The flavor is just awful. (542 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -47.9%

A - poured from a 1 pint, 6 oz bottle into a pint glass. No freshness dating noted. Medium amber in color, one finger head that receded into a tight off-white cap. Above average lacing.

S - not much there that I could detect other than some caramel and a bit of malt.

T - uhhhh, is this beer? metallic, almost tinny tasting.

M - light to medium-bodied. some aftertaste.

D - don't know what i was expecting, but it was more than this quaff. been there, done that, won't be back. (483 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -44.8%

I was served a four ounce sample in a clear plastic cup at a tasting event at the Beer Shoppe in Yakima, Washington.

A: It poured a copper hue with a modest bone white head that disappeared as the brew was being poured. No lacing was observable.

S: It had a sweet malt aroma with herbal hops that together generated a queer unsettling smell.

T: After an initial sweetness on the front end a sour biting raw green apple cider flavor rolled across my mouth leaving an unpleasant aftertaste. The bite of vinegar reminded me of a Pinot Gris on the verge of going bad.

M: The apple cider flavor spoiled the mouth feel. The beer had a light body, limited carbonation and modest ABV.

D: I could barely finish the four ounce sample so I'm unlikely to want to try this for a session brew. I may try another sampling just to ensure I did not have a spoiled bottle. (862 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer poured a medium head with small sized bubbles. The hue of this beer was pale orange and there was no lacing on the sides of my glass with this beer. This beer had a sour taste to me and I was unimpressed by it overall. About the only thing I did like about this beer was the bottle. (292 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -42.7%

Pours a dark Gold color.

Smells malty and metallic, and a bit of alcohol.

Taste? This has a taste? Mild metal and malt possibly? Damn close to flavorless. Ok maybe it has a rusty nails flavor, but it sure isn't good.

Mouthfeel is water.

Drinkability? Well I didn't puke! Leaves a nasty lingering something on your tongue! (333 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -41.3%

A - Poured a clear amber color with an off white head

S - Is of sweet malt apple scents and soggy bread

T - Things get real bad real quick here like drinking bad apple cider

M - This beer has a thin body with high carbonation to it

D - Save yourself some money and stay away from this beer its just not good unless your into rotten apple beer (346 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

1pt 6oz swingtop bottle purchased at the Alpine Deli in Spokane for $2.95. My first Alsatian beer. Hell, it's my first French beer. Cool looking bottle. Sadly, it's the best thing about this one.

This one was amber colored, but it was the most pale amber I've ever seen. Big, bubbly off-white head that dropped quickly, but lots of foam remained behind as lace.

Should a beer smell like an old house? That's what this smells like to me. There's a musty aroma like a wet paper bag that's been give time to age. There's a malty sweetness, but it's cowering in fear behind the dust odors.

Citrusy taste not unlike grapefruit, but combined with a flavor that I can only describe as what I'd expect a wet paper grocery sack to taste like. Yuck! Did this go bad? Or is it just an awful beer? What flavor I can detect that I presume to have been intentional leads me to determine I need not try this again to find out.

Mouthfeel is fine. The only thing that was adequate about this beer. This is drinkable if your local water supply has been contaminated by raw sewage or poisosned by terrorists. Otherwise, steer well clear. Cool looking bottle, though. As soon as I figure out how to drink THAT, I'll alter the score. (1,224 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A - A finger of slightly off white head - slight brown. Foam sticks around for a bit. The body is clear and a nice amber color. Not a bad looking beer.

S - Mostly just lager yeast. Some wood, slight orange/lemon citrus, and a little Corona funk.

T - Get it out. Gym sock, some bitter malts, and very vegital.

M - There is something that makes my tongue tingle a little, but not in a good way. It's like the beer is trying to kill my taste buds so I can't tell how bad it is. Otherwise, good carbonation which holds up a weaker body.

O - I can't believe I used to drink this stuff. Well, not Fischer's specifically, but I'm sure if I would have tried this five years ago I would have told you that's how beer should taste. No it's not. I was just looking for a flip-top bottle. (780 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Presented in a monstrous brown bottle sporting an embossed logo and poured into a standard pint glass. Had a clear dull brown color, sporadic carbonation and a rather foamy eggshell white head that left decent lace behind.
Nose has an odd carmelized veggie and soggy grain aroma that's really revolting. Ditto the taste having the stewed veg and soaked grain flavor with the added (unfortunately) dimensions of dirty apples stirred in butter. The feel was slick, medium-bodied and mildy carbonated, the best aspect of this otherwise horrid brew.
You'd have thought that, with the Germans spending so much time occupying France, the French would have picked up a thing or two about making good beer. Hmm, guess not. Steer clear of this nastiness. (747 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -35.7%

Clear golden color with a hint of red. Big frothy head that laces well and stays for the entire duration. Lots of smell coming from this beer but none of them are great smells. There's some sweet fruit hidden in there but mostly American macro metallic smell. It gets worse with the taste. This beer gives new meaning to the saying "rotten applejuice." Unfortunately this bad apple taste hangs around... This beer isn't worth your money. If you're dying to buy something French, get some cheese or something. SINK! (514 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -34.3%

Appearance – Light orange in color with some lively carbonation and a decent head.

Smell – The aroma here is very mild and musty. There’s a bit of cheap malts in there and maybe a hop or two, but otherwise not much else going on.

Taste – Ugh! The front is quite promising with a bit of hoppiness, but the Fischer ashtray is in full effect by the time this hits the back of your tongue. D-scusting.

Mouthfeel – Thin and watery.

Sinkability – A perfect “10” in the “sinkability” category.

Comments – This comes in a 22 oz swing top, which promptly fell off the bottle when I tried to open it. It was almost comical if it all hadn't cost me six bucks. (674 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -34.3%

Fischer Amber From France: In a cool flip top bottle. It is too bad the beer doesn’t come close to living up to the packaging. The aroma is very sweet. The beer tastes more like cider than an amber brew, and is cloyingly sweet. Truly awful, and as it warmed up, it got worse. Bad. (290 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

looks like a good beer. very clear. nice looking head.

smells like all malt. has a sweetness to it.

not much flavor at all in this brew. very disappointing. fruitiness is all thats there.

too much carbonation, so the mouthfeel is not good at all.

overall this beer is just plain not good. the bottle is the coolest part about it. i think i'd rather drink a bud light over this one. (385 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -33.9%

Presentation: 22oz. brown bottle with no "bottled on" or "best by" date, a flip top and raised glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber gold with a craggy, long-lasting head; nice lacing.

Aroma: Slight notes of hay, malt and wood.

Taste: Weak malt front accompanied by a sizeable oak/phenol aftertaste.

Notes: Friend's synopsis says it all -- "tastes like dishwater". Can't recommend. (395 characters)

12 oz bottle poured into a wine glass

Appearance: Dark brown, cloudy beer with nice 1.5 inch eggshell head. Tanslucent body and subtle lacing. Head diminishes at an even keel.

Smell: Malt, the foremost aroma is followed by some cralmel and toffee. Metallic smell from the cap.

Taste: Malty and sweet. Not complex. A strange alcohol warmth in the finish. Could be the hops trying to pole their heads through the window. Rather boring and tasteless.

Mouthfeel: Flat, but carbonated. Not very slick. Sort of drying. Weird alcohol presence, maybe because there is n't much flavor.

Drinkability: Not good. This beer is worth trying but comes to a halt after that. Being that this beer is affiliated with Heineken, I'm sure it is the macro staple in France. If not for us, the French would be speaking German right now. Get your beer right! (849 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -33.9%

Appearance: light bronze color, with a nicely speckled off-whitish head atop.
Aroma: not too nice! Sharp, pungent, not ale-like at all, stinks like an American macro, totally unpleasant, wickedly so.
Taste: the palate isn't happy, either..thin-bodied, with an atrociousness unmatched. A grimace overtakes the mouth each time I take a sip. There's hints of fruitiness underneath that awfulness, but there's no redemption following that abominal beginning.
Bad, bad, bad!
Stick to wine and capitulation, France! (513 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -32.2%

This beer pours a very nice amber with a chunky off-white head. The smell is sweet-apple… something. The taste kills this beer for me. I hate ciders and this tastes way too much like a cider. Way to freaking sweet! It is smooth but once the taste hits… yuck! I did not care for this at all and I will struggle to finish this beer.

If this beer is flawed (and maybe it is) I doubt if I will ever find out because this beer was crap. Way to go France!

This rating is inflated based on its look! (507 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -32.2%

Bottle: Poured a bright golden color ale with a medium bubbly white head with good retention. Aroma of cereal and light sweet notes are quite simple. Taste is also dominated by lightly sweet cereals with not much other characteristics. Body is about average with good carbonation. Not bad as much as terribly boring. (316 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -31.1%

nice amber color with an impressive foamy head and lots of lace. smells odd...i interpret it as a grape/white wine aroma that doesn't belong in beer. tastes sour...more of that winey taste overpowers the underlying caramel malt base. not enjoyable. hops? i can't tell...there is some sort of bitterness that i suppose is a hop bite in the end. the only reason i drank the whole 24 oz bottle is because i really was trying to figure out what the hell i was tasting. cool flip top bottle...bad beer. YUK! (510 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -30.4%

22 oz brown swingtop bottle.

Clear dark honey with a thick, lasting tan head. Nice lacing.

Caramel malt aroma, with some wet grain. I think Pepe le Pew wet the grain.

Flavor is sweet caramel, light grain, slight hops.

Not something I would buy again, unless it was just for the bottle (299 characters)

I was at Consumer Beerage today, I saw this in the cooler, and I can't say I can remember seeing it elsewhere so I picked it up (the price was right). The flavor is metallic and doesn't satisfy any of the reasons for which I drink beer. I can't say i would recommend this to anyone.

Packaging was a clear bottle (which, knowing the effect of light on beer I always find disconcerting unless it's Miiler High Life). Appearance is a dark amber/copper color with great head formation and retention. Aroma is a musty, sour, off-putting smell with a bit of caramel malt. Flavor was malty and metallic, a bit overly sweet, and generally unpleasant. Not good. (656 characters)

Fischer Tradition Amber from Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace