Fischer Tradition Amber - Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace

poor

Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace visit their website
France

Euro Dark Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fischer Tradition Amber Alström Bros
2.2/5  rDev -24.7%

Me being somewhat new to the whole beer scene; this bottle is pretty cool. Two things however don't look right. "Product of France" on label but yet no freshness date or alcohol % to be found. Good slow pour into a one pint glass from 1 pint 6oz bottle. Has a nice light copper walnut coloring with a nothing to write home about one finger head with ok lacing. The smell has hints of card board, foil, and a chardonnay. That's it, it smells of boxed wine! Oh and just a bit of pine nuts as well. Unfortunately because our taste buds are heavy on smell that's what it tastes like also a cheap chardonnay. Mouth feel was light and tingly (like wine). I was a little disappointed in this one Beer should taste of Beer (hops/malt).
The after burp car tell you a lot about the beer you just had and this one tasted of a mimosa. Burp test scale of 1-5.... 0.

FallinDeck, Feb 03, 2010

From a 12 ounce bottle from Cost Plus World Market, on to the beer:

Poured into a pint, it's a light amber in color with a good looking head that retains well. Smell is of slight herb and grain, pretty dull. Taste is caramel wiht plenty of cloying sweetish grains that ruin it for me, bitterness is minimal here. The feel is alright, but it was not very fun to put down my mouth.

It's steep price may lead you to think it must be really unique, but it isn't. It tasted cheap, but bombers of this run for the price of craft beer. Steer clear of this.

DoubleJ, Jul 16, 2007
2.2/5  rDev -24.7%

Appearance: Golden Amber with half an inch of head. Poured a bit carbonated.

Smell: Has that deep skunky smell

Taste & Mouthfeel: Talk about bitter beer face! Starts off smooth, but soon goes to a metalic flavor that leaves the mouth with an almost chalky aftertaste (probably due to the carbonation).

Drinkability: This was my first French beer and if this is any indication, probably my last one. For the price of this, I was expecting a bit more. Avoid if possible...if given to you for free, just smile and say thank you and do with it what you want.

July2Nov, Aug 17, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -23.6%

If you're getting this for the flip-top bottle, like I was, BEWARE that it is not as dark as most brown bottles - and the beer was slightly skunked. It's probably no better than a Grolsch bottle, so keep your homebrew out of the light if you use this bottle.

Surprisingly, the beer is not amber. Golden, barely darker than some pilseners. Small white head, very good thick lacing. Smells of caramel malt and fruity esters, with a little skunk.

Taste has an unfortunate metallic tinge, and some skunk. A little hops. This is basically like skunked heineken, but with the extra addition of metal. Fizzy water mouthfeel.

NOT RECOMMENDED!

Beerzebub, Sep 01, 2006
2.23/5  rDev -23.6%

Flip top brown bottle without a date, served in a Fischer tulip glass.
Aroma: A heavy bread like yeast/metallic smell.
Appearance: Hazy brown amber with a fluffy white head. Nice lacing.
Flavor: Hrm… the yeasty note in the aroma comes through strongly, and not quite pleasantly. A toasted malt flavor peeks it head out from all that yeast. There is a wet cardboard/oxidation flavor as well
Mouthfeel: Medium heavy body that triggers a mild chew. A bit of oil extends the aftertaste.
Overall Impression: Different. The bready yeast element was a bit much for me, but did remind me of “fresh beer”. Drinkability… I’m not up for another, but it is fairly light and I could see others making a session out of it.

HardTarget, Mar 12, 2004
2.25/5  rDev -22.9%

Talk about a disappointment, this is it. Usually when you look for a European craft beer I am enticed by the international presentation of the beer. Considering the lack of allegiance this beer has, I am not surprised I did not like it.

A- Trying to get a tan in Miami after spending half the winter in Vermont. Big head, but little character.

S&T Presented as a dark ale, I think not. Bourbon in color, but lacking the charisma.

M&D Awful. I couldn't wait to finish it so I'd be done.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Sep 20, 2005
2.25/5  rDev -22.9%

As it sets in the glass a crystal clear amber color, the head quite large and frothy, bright white in color and as it desiccates; a fine covering lace is formed. Nose is mostly malt, crisp and clean, the start is somewhat sweet and malt laden, top is skeletal in it feel to the palate. Finish has a mild carbonation, the hops apropos to the style, droughty aftertaste, can’t say this beer does much for me.

Gusler, Mar 28, 2003
2.25/5  rDev -22.9%

Attractive 22 oz flip top bottle with no discernable freshness date. Pours a very clear, light amber color with a thick fluffy white foam. Nice retention and excellent lacing.

Nose is marginally toasty and honey drizzled malts. Not much in the way of hops and has a bit of metallic/sourish smell to it. Does not smell overly fresh and there is some hints of cardboard and stale pizza crust.

Taste is worse than it smells. Very toasty malts up front with a sugary and metallic finish. Harsh alcoholic notes even though it is only 6%. Perhaps this is why the French like wine better? I am not sure if I will be able to finish this thing. Mouthfeel is fairly thin, even with the nearly cloying malts. To sum it up...cool bottle, shitty beer.

twiggamortis420, Jan 23, 2010

jordanmckell, Sep 21, 2013

jzlyo, Jul 08, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -21.9%

Got this one as other reviewers noted for the cool bottle for homebrewing.

A - A very pale brown, very very clear with carbonation rising up

S - Very faint bread but mostly like an old wet paper bag smell

T - In mine there is an overpowering metallic penny quality, very faint notes of hop and fruitiness, mostly leaves a metallic aftertaste on your tongue. At the same time pretty flavorless almost like club soda and I hate club soda.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty light with some body but a carbonation that borders on fiziness

D - honestly its strange but I can knock this back pretty fast but its not very good at the same time. Really after one 22 oz I don't think I could drink another so I am knocking a little off drinkability. If you were just pounding random beer with no regard I could imagine drinking alot but at this price you would probably be pounding something else.

Overall not one I will get again even for the bottle Anyone who drinks even pretty good beers would probably find this a bland strange beer. I am drunk and I am going to have to drink another beer to get the taste of this one out of my mouth.

TheBeerWolf, Mar 13, 2007
2.33/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance: Pours to a translucent dark gold, with reddish undertones. Nice, foamy white head that lasts. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Smells of earthy malts and slight hops.

Taste: Caramel malt and some nutty tones are all that present themselves. Almost no hops are evident and the alcohol flavors are uninhibited.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, heavily carbonated.

Drinkability: No real strong flavor here. Pretty dull beer, goes down okay though.

darkmartin, Aug 16, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -19.5%

A -Clear, light amber, avg. head but short lived. Cool delayed "pop" of the cork upon opening.

S -Light malt but not much else

T - Not a bad flavor, but very watery. Light on both malty goodness and hoppy crispness.

M - Fairly clean and smooth.

D - One of these and I was done. This beer is just much too thin and no character. Less than impressive in it's overal impact . So much more to beer than this.

escapements, Aug 03, 2006
2.38/5  rDev -18.5%

Wow... this wasn't that great really. Had a good head when I poured it but that was about it.

Smell seemed a bit off, not skunky though but no real aroma. BLAND.

Taste... Hmmm... BLAND, yep, not that great, better than macro swill but still not great.

Mouth seemed on par, had another amber ale from Mactarnahans that was better, just thin.

I could barely finish the glass, luckily the bottle is a swing top so I can try and suck it down later, but BLEH!!! Bad batch or oxidization maybe? I expected a bit more from Fischer.

KoG, Oct 24, 2004
2.38/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a clear light amber/orange with a large white head that leaves a nice lace down the glass. The aroma is quite unusual for a pale ale as I am picking up a sweet grape smell. Although not unpleasant, it is quite unexpected! Woah! Okay the grapes are still included in the taste too. Very strange! It is like a beer-wine hybrid. I'll try to explain the taste but I fear I cannot do it justice. Mostly white grape flavored with dominant alcohol on the tail with very light hops. This is one weird brew! I dunno about this one! A votre sante!

BeerAngel, Nov 27, 2002
2.4/5  rDev -17.8%

Oddly enough, I tried this beer as it was what the bartender and a couple of people recommended in this small bar that had a small selection of beers. When I said OK, let me have one, the bartender says "Good Choice, you are going to love it!" So much for that. The smell is not bad, kind of average, but not anything skunky, not anything out of the ordinary either. Then the taste...I couldn't figure out what it tasted like, REALLY plain, the bottle is the best thing about this beer. It is alot like water going down though, maybe that is a plus with 6%, you could be toasted if that is what your goal is. I try to enjoy my beer, but this is not that enjoyable. I don't recommend...

beeroclock, Nov 12, 2005
2.42/5  rDev -17.1%

The flavor profile on this beer was complex, and strange. Some roasted, alcoholic flavors, sort of like it had been aged in a charred whisky barrel, yet also some tart, white wine flavors. Rather grainy and not at all smooth. Drinkable, but not particularly enjoyable.

Brent, Oct 18, 2003
2.45/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours a yellowish copper red (amber, I guess!) with a moderate-large white head of very large bubbles (I am finding I don't like heads with large bubbles); the head dies down to a small covering of the beer in just a minute or two.

Aroma- moderate malty smell that is not very distinctive. Flavor is semi-mediciney and slightly sweet. Slightly hoppy aftertaste. There is some basic sour flavor that is just off, and I can't place it , but I don't like it.

Dukeofearl, Apr 03, 2004
2.45/5  rDev -16.1%

Picked up a bottle at my local Vons. Needed the swing top for something else.

A - Pours a dark golden color with less than a finger worth of head. There are TONS of carbonation bubbles everywhere. I can even hear it bubbling as the glass sits 2 feet away from my head.

S - Smells of grains, and alcohol.

T - Tastes of grains and alcohol. Very harsh, and bitter. This is kinda bad...like malt liquor bad.

M - Thin body and overly carbonated. Not so good.

D - I hope to never have another need for a swingtop bottle for a long time. I'd rather not drink this again.

Kaiser81, Feb 05, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -15.1%

A pretty boring beer. The beer looked good with a nice amber color and a great fluffy head, but went downhill from there. The smell was non-existant with only a slight malt sweetness detectable. There was not much to the flavor other than an overly buttery sweetness and a mouthfeel that was way too thick for it's own good. There are better beers to spend your money on, thats for sure.

Dmann, Sep 30, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -15.1%

A- always love a swing top. Dark lager? No.. More of a medium amber. Off white head falls quickly to a thin disk of generic foam. Lightly hazed.

S- cereal grains and a touch of caramel sweetness.

T- cardboard malt and a bit of an herbal Hop twang. Mild sweetness.

MF- light and fizzy with some dryness. Has a sort of soda pop corn syrup feel.

D- one dimensional and teetering on the edge of boring, this would be a good gateway brew to help a pale beer drinker cross over to the dark side. Don't expect a Biere de garde when you see France on the label and 6%abv. It's closer to a euro bud platinum. Although this one is good for a bad example, it must be said that it would be easy to drink and party on if kept extremely ice cold. And chugged responsibly.

hustlesworth, Feb 27, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -15.1%

It's not good news when the best thing about a beer is the bottle, but i'm afraid that's the case with Fischer Amber. Poured into the glass, this beer is truly uninspiring, appearing a bland, dull, clear pale amber. Head is a little better--very white with some retention and decent lacing. Smell is a little caramelly, but also sounds sour notes of mildew. Some apple as well. Taste is steely, watery, bland and overly sweet. Notes of apple. An odd bitterness lays awkwardly on top of the cloying sweetness, adding to the unpleasantness rather than balancing. Mouthfeel is a little watery and the whole experience is much too much like drinking soda pop, and not nearly as enjoyable. Beyond the attractive bottle, the pretty strikingly white head and some decent lacing, there's not much here for me to like.

Riggo, Apr 01, 2005
2.48/5  rDev -15.1%

poured from swing top bottle into duvel tulip

A: pours amber, with a half finger off white bubbly head. laces on glass ok.
S: strange smell of the swing tops rubber seal. sort of sour malt
T: same rubber in the smell is in the taste. also sour malt, not much hops.
M: medium carbonation, kind of a bite
D: the rubber flavor is off putting enough to rate it low, im going to try to find the beer without a swing top to try again. first drain pour in a long time.

rootbeerman, Jan 23, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -15.1%

Kudos for the flip top bottle alone - it makes bottling homebrew much easier when you have enough of these babies lying about.

I poured this straight into the glass (no tilt) and was rewarded with a thick off-white head that nevertheless receded rapidly. Color was your basic brown-red; reminded me of marbles I used to play with as a kid. The aroma was the first disappointment. There's something unpleasant coming from it, although I couldn't ID it (wet dog? laundry?)

The taste is equally nondescript. It starts off...beery, for lack of a better adjective. Midpoint has a flash of hop and sweet malt, which quickly vanishes to a barely noticeable aftertaste. It thankfully doesn't carry that ashtray flavor their lager does. Mouthfeel borders on watery. It lingers briefly, and then is gone. Not much kick to this one. It's drinkable, but unless the only other beer available is low-carb, there's better choices out there.

Hunter, May 18, 2004
2.48/5  rDev -15.1%

A: First off, love the bottle, it stood out on the shelf and is the reason I grabbed it in the first place. The pour isn't bad either; light, copper brown in color with a big thick head that lasts for awhile. Carbonation seems high, lots of bubbles rising.

S: Wasn't quite what I expected. Very fruity and light, not much going on there. Almost smells like cider. It is not displeasing, but not what I expected from an amber ale (dark lager?).

T: The taste is equally confusing. This beer doesn't have any of the characteristics I expect from an amber. It is very fruity, almost too fruity I would say. There is no chewiness, little complexity, and the malts are far too sweet. No hops present at all.

M: This beer is pretty light, carbonated and watery. There isn't much body, I expected it to be slightly syrupy. It is also fairly over-carbonated for my taste.

D: While the light, watery body would usually lend a beer high drinkability, the carbonation and fruitiness really put me off. It's too much like drinking wine to be able to session, and not filling enough to have just one. I guess the French were never known for their beer making abilities, I guess I'll stick to their wine.

EDIT: Make sure you drink this beer ice cold, if it warms it becomes very astringent -- yuck.

kflorence, May 30, 2009