Fischer Tradition Amber - Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace

Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace visit their website
France

Euro Dark Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fischer Tradition Amber Alström Bros
2.29/5  rDev -19.9%

Got this one as other reviewers noted for the cool bottle for homebrewing.

A - A very pale brown, very very clear with carbonation rising up

S - Very faint bread but mostly like an old wet paper bag smell

T - In mine there is an overpowering metallic penny quality, very faint notes of hop and fruitiness, mostly leaves a metallic aftertaste on your tongue. At the same time pretty flavorless almost like club soda and I hate club soda.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty light with some body but a carbonation that borders on fiziness

D - honestly its strange but I can knock this back pretty fast but its not very good at the same time. Really after one 22 oz I don't think I could drink another so I am knocking a little off drinkability. If you were just pounding random beer with no regard I could imagine drinking alot but at this price you would probably be pounding something else.

Overall not one I will get again even for the bottle Anyone who drinks even pretty good beers would probably find this a bland strange beer. I am drunk and I am going to have to drink another beer to get the taste of this one out of my mouth. (1,140 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -19.6%

Talk about a disappointment, this is it. Usually when you look for a European craft beer I am enticed by the international presentation of the beer. Considering the lack of allegiance this beer has, I am not surprised I did not like it.

A- Trying to get a tan in Miami after spending half the winter in Vermont. Big head, but little character.

S&T Presented as a dark ale, I think not. Bourbon in color, but lacking the charisma.

M&D Awful. I couldn't wait to finish it so I'd be done. (494 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -19.6%

If you're getting this for the flip-top bottle, like I was, BEWARE that it is not as dark as most brown bottles - and the beer was slightly skunked. It's probably no better than a Grolsch bottle, so keep your homebrew out of the light if you use this bottle.

Surprisingly, the beer is not amber. Golden, barely darker than some pilseners. Small white head, very good thick lacing. Smells of caramel malt and fruity esters, with a little skunk.

Taste has an unfortunate metallic tinge, and some skunk. A little hops. This is basically like skunked heineken, but with the extra addition of metal. Fizzy water mouthfeel.

NOT RECOMMENDED! (643 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -18.5%

A -Clear, light amber, avg. head but short lived. Cool delayed "pop" of the cork upon opening.

S -Light malt but not much else

T - Not a bad flavor, but very watery. Light on both malty goodness and hoppy crispness.

M - Fairly clean and smooth.

D - One of these and I was done. This beer is just much too thin and no character. Less than impressive in it's overal impact . So much more to beer than this. (417 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance: Pours to a translucent dark gold, with reddish undertones. Nice, foamy white head that lasts. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Smells of earthy malts and slight hops.

Taste: Caramel malt and some nutty tones are all that present themselves. Almost no hops are evident and the alcohol flavors are uninhibited.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, heavily carbonated.

Drinkability: No real strong flavor here. Pretty dull beer, goes down okay though. (443 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -17.1%

Wow... this wasn't that great really. Had a good head when I poured it but that was about it.

Smell seemed a bit off, not skunky though but no real aroma. BLAND.

Taste... Hmmm... BLAND, yep, not that great, better than macro swill but still not great.

Mouth seemed on par, had another amber ale from Mactarnahans that was better, just thin.

I could barely finish the glass, luckily the bottle is a swing top so I can try and suck it down later, but BLEH!!! Bad batch or oxidization maybe? I expected a bit more from Fischer. (536 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a clear light amber/orange with a large white head that leaves a nice lace down the glass. The aroma is quite unusual for a pale ale as I am picking up a sweet grape smell. Although not unpleasant, it is quite unexpected! Woah! Okay the grapes are still included in the taste too. Very strange! It is like a beer-wine hybrid. I'll try to explain the taste but I fear I cannot do it justice. Mostly white grape flavored with dominant alcohol on the tail with very light hops. This is one weird brew! I dunno about this one! A votre sante! (543 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -15%

The flavor profile on this beer was complex, and strange. Some roasted, alcoholic flavors, sort of like it had been aged in a charred whisky barrel, yet also some tart, white wine flavors. Rather grainy and not at all smooth. Drinkable, but not particularly enjoyable. (268 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -14.3%

Oddly enough, I tried this beer as it was what the bartender and a couple of people recommended in this small bar that had a small selection of beers. When I said OK, let me have one, the bartender says "Good Choice, you are going to love it!" So much for that. The smell is not bad, kind of average, but not anything skunky, not anything out of the ordinary either. Then the taste...I couldn't figure out what it tasted like, REALLY plain, the bottle is the best thing about this beer. It is alot like water going down though, maybe that is a plus with 6%, you could be toasted if that is what your goal is. I try to enjoy my beer, but this is not that enjoyable. I don't recommend... (685 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Picked up a bottle at my local Vons. Needed the swing top for something else.

A - Pours a dark golden color with less than a finger worth of head. There are TONS of carbonation bubbles everywhere. I can even hear it bubbling as the glass sits 2 feet away from my head.

S - Smells of grains, and alcohol.

T - Tastes of grains and alcohol. Very harsh, and bitter. This is kinda bad...like malt liquor bad.

M - Thin body and overly carbonated. Not so good.

D - I hope to never have another need for a swingtop bottle for a long time. I'd rather not drink this again. (569 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -14%

It's not good news when the best thing about a beer is the bottle, but i'm afraid that's the case with Fischer Amber. Poured into the glass, this beer is truly uninspiring, appearing a bland, dull, clear pale amber. Head is a little better--very white with some retention and decent lacing. Smell is a little caramelly, but also sounds sour notes of mildew. Some apple as well. Taste is steely, watery, bland and overly sweet. Notes of apple. An odd bitterness lays awkwardly on top of the cloying sweetness, adding to the unpleasantness rather than balancing. Mouthfeel is a little watery and the whole experience is much too much like drinking soda pop, and not nearly as enjoyable. Beyond the attractive bottle, the pretty strikingly white head and some decent lacing, there's not much here for me to like. (809 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -14%

Kudos for the flip top bottle alone - it makes bottling homebrew much easier when you have enough of these babies lying about.

I poured this straight into the glass (no tilt) and was rewarded with a thick off-white head that nevertheless receded rapidly. Color was your basic brown-red; reminded me of marbles I used to play with as a kid. The aroma was the first disappointment. There's something unpleasant coming from it, although I couldn't ID it (wet dog? laundry?)

The taste is equally nondescript. It starts off...beery, for lack of a better adjective. Midpoint has a flash of hop and sweet malt, which quickly vanishes to a barely noticeable aftertaste. It thankfully doesn't carry that ashtray flavor their lager does. Mouthfeel borders on watery. It lingers briefly, and then is gone. Not much kick to this one. It's drinkable, but unless the only other beer available is low-carb, there's better choices out there. (932 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -13.6%

A: First off, love the bottle, it stood out on the shelf and is the reason I grabbed it in the first place. The pour isn't bad either; light, copper brown in color with a big thick head that lasts for awhile. Carbonation seems high, lots of bubbles rising.

S: Wasn't quite what I expected. Very fruity and light, not much going on there. Almost smells like cider. It is not displeasing, but not what I expected from an amber ale (dark lager?).

T: The taste is equally confusing. This beer doesn't have any of the characteristics I expect from an amber. It is very fruity, almost too fruity I would say. There is no chewiness, little complexity, and the malts are far too sweet. No hops present at all.

M: This beer is pretty light, carbonated and watery. There isn't much body, I expected it to be slightly syrupy. It is also fairly over-carbonated for my taste.

D: While the light, watery body would usually lend a beer high drinkability, the carbonation and fruitiness really put me off. It's too much like drinking wine to be able to session, and not filling enough to have just one. I guess the French were never known for their beer making abilities, I guess I'll stick to their wine.

EDIT: Make sure you drink this beer ice cold, if it warms it becomes very astringent -- yuck. (1,288 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a yellowish copper red (amber, I guess!) with a moderate-large white head of very large bubbles (I am finding I don't like heads with large bubbles); the head dies down to a small covering of the beer in just a minute or two.

Aroma- moderate malty smell that is not very distinctive. Flavor is semi-mediciney and slightly sweet. Slightly hoppy aftertaste. There is some basic sour flavor that is just off, and I can't place it , but I don't like it. (458 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -13.3%

A- always love a swing top. Dark lager? No.. More of a medium amber. Off white head falls quickly to a thin disk of generic foam. Lightly hazed.

S- cereal grains and a touch of caramel sweetness.

T- cardboard malt and a bit of an herbal Hop twang. Mild sweetness.

MF- light and fizzy with some dryness. Has a sort of soda pop corn syrup feel.

D- one dimensional and teetering on the edge of boring, this would be a good gateway brew to help a pale beer drinker cross over to the dark side. Don't expect a Biere de garde when you see France on the label and 6%abv. It's closer to a euro bud platinum. Although this one is good for a bad example, it must be said that it would be easy to drink and party on if kept extremely ice cold. And chugged responsibly. (765 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -12.9%

A pretty boring beer. The beer looked good with a nice amber color and a great fluffy head, but went downhill from there. The smell was non-existant with only a slight malt sweetness detectable. There was not much to the flavor other than an overly buttery sweetness and a mouthfeel that was way too thick for it's own good. There are better beers to spend your money on, thats for sure. (387 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -12.2%

poured from swing top bottle into duvel tulip

A: pours amber, with a half finger off white bubbly head. laces on glass ok.
S: strange smell of the swing tops rubber seal. sort of sour malt
T: same rubber in the smell is in the taste. also sour malt, not much hops.
M: medium carbonation, kind of a bite
D: the rubber flavor is off putting enough to rate it low, im going to try to find the beer without a swing top to try again. first drain pour in a long time. (464 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

22 oz flip top bottle into a pint glass

I had remembered this beer as being much better than it was.

Poured a dull amber with a three finger thick bubble bath looking off white head that settled into a thin layer of foam with a decent amount of lacing sticking to the walls of the glass.

Smell of cheap apple juice, and wet paper with some slight sour notes in the back. The taste is sweet but pretty damn bland and watery and the mouthfeel is nothing to write home about. Very limp and uninspired. Some thing like Ballantine or PBR has more presence in the mouth than this does. A some what filmy feeling is left in the mouth with a bitter after taste

all in all not such a great beer and a real let down from what I had remembered it being (754 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -11.9%

22oz. bottle
Pours a red clear amber. Clear with an exceptionoal head. A very skunky sour smell. Sour lemon and rind that is decomposing.

The flavor is a crisp lemon flavor. Too much grain as well. Not like any amber I have ever had in my life. Just too weak with a sweetness that I do not particularily enjoy in any beer. Very lemony and unsatifying.

It drinks okay but nothing special. I will not be searching this beer out as a regular. (447 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -11.5%

I expected more from this beer when I poured it out. I guess you can't expect much when it was only $2.99 for a flip top bomber.
The beer poured out a nice reddish amber. It looked very much like an APA. It had a frothy head. The smell is more in line with a light beer. The taste is like a watered down and slightly skunked macro. The mouthfeel is off. By a mile. I have angered my taste buds. I would drink this again only if it was after last call and it was all I had. But they do get some points for the bottle I guess. (526 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

bottle into nonic

A: very clear, thin bodied appearance, pillow of large bubbled head (offwhite) brownish amber color

S: a bit cidery, maybe a touch of mint

T: cidery quality comes through in the taste, slightly metallic, sweet with a hint of bitterness in the finish

M: light to medium body, no carbonation bite

O: look elsewhere for your beer. This one is not very good. There is no defined malt or hops, just meh. (421 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

An average, blase', yeasty beer. Pours pale copper with short lived white head. Aroma is mostly yeasty and fruity. Flavor is buttery sweet with a short dryish non-descript finish. Mouthfeel is thin. drinkable, but not something I will ever buy again. (250 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -11.2%

Doesn't look so bad. Short lived head with no lacing, but a nice glow to it.

Smells... terrible actually. The term "Alcoholic feet" comes to mind. The smell alone is turning me off from it already.

Tastes like.. Spiked apple juice. Just sweetened apple water with alcohol. Sour aftertaste too.

I'll file this under the "Good thing I want this bottle for homebrewing" category. (379 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Moderate pour yields a finger of white head that sticks to the sides of the glass and displays good retention. Color is a transparent amber.

S: Somewhat biscuity and clean profile, very lager-like, with a faint hint of mustiness. Not very assertive.

T: Up front there is a subtle sweet malt flavor, a tinge of caramel, but toward the middle, this beer takes on a different character. Almost a taste of adjuncts, leading into a slightly metallic but mostly drying finish that doesn't really satisfy.

M: Good level of carbonation, just enough to make it somewhat creamy, but there is a watery character to this beer of which I'm not a huge fan.

D: Starts out as a promising, lighter-bodied beer, but ends up missing the mark. I see a few qualities to this, such as its subtle nature and body that leans toward the lighter side, that make it rather easy to drink, but there's not enough flavor involved. Also, it comes off with a bit of an adjuncty taste that doesn't sit well with the potential this beer could have. (1,022 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a nice amber color with a two-finger head into my fluted glass. Looks about right.

Aroma is full of sweet malt with a hint of caramel and grainy sweetness.

Taste is buttery and cloying sweet/bitter. Seems unbalanced but there is a malt presence and very little hop presence.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering sweet malt. Just feels completely unbalanced and intolerable.

Nothing to see here. Avoid. (405 characters)

Fischer Tradition Amber from Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace