Fischer Tradition Amber - Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace

poor

Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace visit their website
France

Euro Dark Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-22-2001)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fischer Tradition Amber Alström Bros
DaggerEyes

2.5/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

22 oz flip top bottle into a pint glass

I had remembered this beer as being much better than it was.

Poured a dull amber with a three finger thick bubble bath looking off white head that settled into a thin layer of foam with a decent amount of lacing sticking to the walls of the glass.

Smell of cheap apple juice, and wet paper with some slight sour notes in the back. The taste is sweet but pretty damn bland and watery and the mouthfeel is nothing to write home about. Very limp and uninspired. Some thing like Ballantine or PBR has more presence in the mouth than this does. A some what filmy feeling is left in the mouth with a bitter after taste

all in all not such a great beer and a real let down from what I had remembered it being

04-20-2006 01:01:59 | More by DaggerEyes
russpowell

Oklahoma

2.6/5  rDev -10.7%

Nice strong swoosh as the flip bottle opens, promising
Pours a very light amber with a 3" massive fluffy eggshell head. Fantastic head rentention and lacing, too bad the rest of the beer doesn't match up

Smell: Hints of pepper and wet cardboard, weird. Some smokiness

Taste; Sweet, slight smokiness& not much else

MF: Slight prickliness & thinness. Good carbonation

Not a quaffer, but drinkable. Trust me, you can do much worse (& rarely much better) when in france or the alsace region. I'd reccomend it to people who like a hint of smoke or a very noncomplex beer with 6% abv

03-17-2006 05:18:45 | More by russpowell
brentk56

2.55/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful hazy honey colored body with a bountiful head that leaves plenty of lace

Smell: What an atrocious odor - smells like a urinal

Taste: A little sweet and caramelly, with an aftertaste that is reminiscent of the aroma

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and fizzy

Drinkability: Piss poor...drain pour; nice bottle; lousy beer

03-16-2006 01:01:53 | More by brentk56
JohnnyM2002

Maryland

3.85/5  rDev +32.3%

This is a delicious beer! First, it has a light, golden color with a long-lasting head. The Fischer has a fruity (maybe apple) smell that only gets better as the beer goes down.

As far as taste goes, it's very light, smooth, and the fruity aftertaste lingers. Feels great in the mouth and it is a very drinkable beer. I would definitely pick this up again!

03-01-2006 02:47:10 | More by JohnnyM2002
walleye

2.58/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured amber with white head. aroma malty, choc. molasses, orange. flavor white raisins, mettallic as it warmed tthe flavor just went away. a ok beer another that needs to be very cold. so make sure you have this very cold and you do not let it warm.

02-02-2006 00:49:26 | More by walleye
Enola

2.5/5  rDev -14.1%

I expected more from this beer when I poured it out. I guess you can't expect much when it was only $2.99 for a flip top bomber.
The beer poured out a nice reddish amber. It looked very much like an APA. It had a frothy head. The smell is more in line with a light beer. The taste is like a watered down and slightly skunked macro. The mouthfeel is off. By a mile. I have angered my taste buds. I would drink this again only if it was after last call and it was all I had. But they do get some points for the bottle I guess.

01-24-2006 01:28:13 | More by Enola
hanco005

3.58/5  rDev +23%

Poured the 1pt, 6oz flip top bottle into a pint glass.

A--deep bronze/orange color, 1/2 head with impressive lacing around the entire rim. Head was gone in about 5 mins

S--somewhat smoky, sweet and nutty

T--a real surprise for me. Not near as heavy as I had expected. nice combo of flavor in the malts, but left a slight alkaline after taste in my mouth

M--smooth and light, which again surprised me based on its appearance

D--overall I enjoyed this beer. I would have this again, but couldn't have more than 2 in one sitting. The slight alkaline taste really threw me...I am going to try it again in a few months and re-review it in case there was something weird with this one.

01-04-2006 02:44:02 | More by hanco005
tempest

3.05/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours an amber body with a 1" head. Leaves impressive lacing. Smells downright corny, like Rolling Rock. Taste is better, corn is still there but there's an overriding malt sweetness.

Basically a simple macro lager taste but without any nasties that so many macros have. Wouldn't choose to drink it again because of the import price, but would consider a similar domestic brew.

12-31-2005 01:49:08 | More by tempest
Mitchster

1.95/5  rDev -33%

Pours out to a sparkingly clear light amber, forming a small off-white head with average retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is very similar to Heineken with my eyes closed...faint grassiness, floral hops, clean lager ferment, but with a touch of caramel and toffee. The mouthfeel is bright and crisp at first but finishes very ruddy with a twang of wet cardboard and some higher alcohols. Medium bodied. The taste begins with a nice blend of grassy hops and delicate pale malts, but is followed by greasy caramel, vegetable oil, and cardboard. The aftertaste is somewhat acrid and I feel a headache coming on from this one. Bitterness is mild.

I would pass on this one. It has promise but ends horriby. I don't think I'm going to be able to finish this bottle. Ugh.

12-09-2005 23:08:28 | More by Mitchster
SteveO1231

Connecticut

1.15/5  rDev -60.5%

Picked up a 1pint 6 fl oz. flip top bottle at Country Store aboard Camp Pendleton, CA. This bottle looked interersting and was the only bottle I hadn't tried amongst the ever dwindeling selection.

Nice "POP!" when opening, that was the best part of this brew.

Pours a light amber with a thick froathy white head. Moderate carbonation.

Has a strange sour yeast scent to it, I'm not sure if it is supposed to smell this way but it is rather unpleasant, like rotten butthole.

Light on the palate with a slick texture. Light malt sweetness and a sour fruitiness to it. Maybe a faint spiciness. A slow sour bitterness like glue on the palate. It tastes better than it smells that's for sure. Struck out with this one. Good t hing I only purchased one bottle. Taste does not improve as it warms up it gets worse. Am I at a UConn kegger pounding Natty light? good God this is disgusting!

Don't let the bottle decieve you this beer sucks ass!

Cheers!

12-04-2005 06:08:54 | More by SteveO1231
beeroclock

United Arab Emirates

2.4/5  rDev -17.5%

Oddly enough, I tried this beer as it was what the bartender and a couple of people recommended in this small bar that had a small selection of beers. When I said OK, let me have one, the bartender says "Good Choice, you are going to love it!" So much for that. The smell is not bad, kind of average, but not anything skunky, not anything out of the ordinary either. Then the taste...I couldn't figure out what it tasted like, REALLY plain, the bottle is the best thing about this beer. It is alot like water going down though, maybe that is a plus with 6%, you could be toasted if that is what your goal is. I try to enjoy my beer, but this is not that enjoyable. I don't recommend...

11-12-2005 23:29:47 | More by beeroclock
joedon

2.9/5  rDev -0.3%

Usually when I review a beer, I try to start with an open mind. Especially, I avoid reading the BA comments beforehand so that I can be objective. This time, I had already seen the reviews that pretty bluntly state that this beer doesn't measure up.

At any rate, the BA reviews got it right! This is a pretty mediocre brew. Basically, a macro with a little bit darker color.

The color is essentially a dark gold/pale brown, rather uninviting color. I thought the aroma was the best trait; hoppy-yeasty but not overpowering. The flavor is where this beer fails. Sort of thin, cidery lager with a bit of sour edge. Tiny bit of malt and hops in the aftertaste.

Frankly, I bought the beer mainly because of the cool, swing-top bottle.

11-10-2005 21:54:12 | More by joedon
SkeeterHawk

2.08/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear orange golden color with a thick creamy white head made up of small bubbles. There are a few bubbles rising to maintain the head, but not that many. There is some lacing being left on the glass as I choke it down.

Aroma: Dry grainy aroma that has a noticeable skunky element to it. It smells oxidized with a pronounced papery smell to it. There is some hops in here, but it really doesn't help the whole presentation much.

Taste: Well, the flavor is a bit more pleasant than the aroma. The grainy malts rule the flavor profile a well. It is dry, but still maintains a bit of perceptible sweetness on the tongue after drinking. The skunk is not in the flavor as much as it is in the aroma. The finish is dry and chalky, and reminds me a bit of Maalox

Opinion: This is not my favorite beer by any means. I remembered not caring for it some time ago, but since my palate has developed a good bit since then, I figured I would give it another day in court. Well, the jury didn't deliberate more than a minute or so. I still don't like this beer, and I don't know if I am going to be able to finish my current glass...let alone the other half of the bottle. Hmmm...what a dilemma

11-10-2005 05:51:56 | More by SkeeterHawk
Boilermaker88

1.75/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Presented in a monstrous brown bottle sporting an embossed logo and poured into a standard pint glass. Had a clear dull brown color, sporadic carbonation and a rather foamy eggshell white head that left decent lace behind.
Nose has an odd carmelized veggie and soggy grain aroma that's really revolting. Ditto the taste having the stewed veg and soaked grain flavor with the added (unfortunately) dimensions of dirty apples stirred in butter. The feel was slick, medium-bodied and mildy carbonated, the best aspect of this otherwise horrid brew.
You'd have thought that, with the Germans spending so much time occupying France, the French would have picked up a thing or two about making good beer. Hmm, guess not. Steer clear of this nastiness.

11-09-2005 04:00:45 | More by Boilermaker88
67cuda

Colorado

2.65/5  rDev -8.9%

First off, the bottle looks cool. The raised design in the sides of it is a nice touch. The beer poured a pretty average-looking amber color, with about one finger worth of white head. There was a pretty good amount of carbonation present as well, with rising bubbles plainly visible. It smelled kind of sweet, a good smell, but not one I usually associate with beer. The beer tasted much like it smelled, kind of sweet, but somehow it managed to have a bitter taste at the same time, and seemed fairly watery. Quite bizzare. The mouthfeel was OK, a bit watery. As for drinkability, well I've certainly had worse beers, but I've also had far better ones too. I don't think I will be drinking this again, it just tasted so odd to me.

10-05-2005 16:19:48 | More by 67cuda
Rootdog316

3.15/5  rDev +8.2%

Fisher's Traditional Amber Ale comes in a large bottle with a ceramic stopper, ala Grolsch. Except that it's a brown bottle. And it's French. For you Americans that will instantly hate it for that, don't jump to conclusions. Althought the brewery is technically in France, that part of the country is pretty much in Germany anyway. I mean, it's beer, for Pete's sake. The French don't brew beer, they make whine. Did I spell that right? Heh, I thought it was cute.

So, Fischer Tradtional...Popping the top on this beer, I was immediately struck by the powerful aroma, right out of the bottle. I swear I sat and sniffed this beer for two minutes prior to tasting it. For its immediate assault on the nose, it has a delicate, fruity sweetness that is a pleasure to inhale. This beer is a very pale amber in colour, with a medium, white, foamy head that lasts quite well, and provides a little lacing on the glass. In terms of flavour, the tastebuds are well informed by the nose. As expected, this beer has a pleasant fruity sweetness, that is well balanced by a flowery hop finish. I enjoyed drinking this beer.

Serving type: cask

09-25-2005 23:00:50 | More by Rootdog316
FLAbeergutinMASS

2.25/5  rDev -22.7%

Talk about a disappointment, this is it. Usually when you look for a European craft beer I am enticed by the international presentation of the beer. Considering the lack of allegiance this beer has, I am not surprised I did not like it.

A- Trying to get a tan in Miami after spending half the winter in Vermont. Big head, but little character.

S&T Presented as a dark ale, I think not. Bourbon in color, but lacking the charisma.

M&D Awful. I couldn't wait to finish it so I'd be done.

09-20-2005 02:37:39 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
abcsofbeer

3.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 1 pt, 6oz flip top bottle. Supposed to be a Euro DarkLager, says its a Amber Ale. Looks like a macro lager, light brown w/a touch of ruby around the edge. Probably the clearest beer I have ever seen with lots of rising bubbles. The head is very thin and white, but leaves nice rings of lace.

The smell is grassy with hints of buttery biscuit with a small bit of light malt. The taste is very mellow, with no hop flavor but a strong carbonated flavor. Not a bad beer, but, not much there.

09-10-2005 01:09:42 | More by abcsofbeer
DogFood11

2.93/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz fatt bottle with flip top cap. gotta give it a half point bump for the raised fischers logo on the sides and add in a frothy sticky head its slightly above average. Smelled some metallic right off the bat which never goes well with anything. Maybe my nostrils are sensative to this aroma because I detect it fairly often. Sweet grain dominate, some dark fruit very subtle though and a little dishwater in the background. Taste gets a little better, its sweet but nicely balanced, little sizzle that is welcomed in this brew. medium carbonation medium size bubbles, caught some nice warming effect for such a tame abv. maybe its just the damn blazing heat. This is borderline for me to reccomend but its worth a try at least.

08-27-2005 00:44:27 | More by DogFood11
tgbljb

3.28/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured a slightly cloudy moderate amber color with a nice head that lasted throughout the glass. smell is nutty and dark fruity. My first taste noted a distinct sourness that either got less or else I started to get used to it but then it seemed to get stronger as the beer warmed, so my score went from a 3 to a 4 and back to a 3 (very strange) Left a slightly dry taste which was neither overly good or bad. A strange beer, from my point of view, because I was confused about what I was drinking.

08-02-2005 00:17:17 | More by tgbljb
beersarang

2.85/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a light chestnut brown with a white head that leaves huge lacing all over the place. Bubbles fly up at rapid speed.

Grainy grassy aroma.

Light grain on the palate at first, quick hit of oily bitterness and a touch of grass. Finishes mildly sweet and grainy. Overall wimpy, but that was to be expected. Noticeable alcohol in the finish.

Crisp light body with some carbonation here and there, average.

I wouldn't buy this again, but the bottle is awesome for homebrewing.

08-01-2005 06:03:58 | More by beersarang
Gagnonsux

2.9/5  rDev -0.3%

The color is pale amber with an average-sized, soapy head. The aroma is full of adjuncts with a smell, that for the first time since being a BA, I can identify as cooked vegetables. The taste starts with a simple macro beer bite, but soon more malt flavor comes into play and turns this beer's flavor profile around. The amber malt flavors aren't spectacular, but are good enough to knock this up to "average". Drinkability is pretty good, but I probably won't buy this again since I can do better for less money.

07-27-2005 02:56:14 | More by Gagnonsux
mynie

Indiana

3.55/5  rDev +22%

Nice pour from a cool ploptop bottle. Rather pale amber color, sparkly like champagne, with a nice, white head.

Harsh malty smell with loads of grain and a zip of alcohol. Not that complex, but nice enough.

Weak flavor somehow packs a lot of zip. Big ripe fruits--dinstinct nodes of lemony citrus, fall against alcohol and a solid malt finish.

Decent session ale, but nothing exceptional.

06-25-2005 18:24:48 | More by mynie
Citadel82

2.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

An average, blase', yeasty beer. Pours pale copper with short lived white head. Aroma is mostly yeasty and fruity. Flavor is buttery sweet with a short dryish non-descript finish. Mouthfeel is thin. drinkable, but not something I will ever buy again.

06-09-2005 01:15:28 | More by Citadel82
Luigi

3.63/5  rDev +24.7%

Clear amber color with tight carbonation bubbles. Very sticky white head that stays though out the life of the glass. Smells slighy tangy with toasted grains. Toasted malts and grains dominate the flavor. Some hop twanginess lingers in the finish. Smooth medium-light moughfeel and great drinkability. Very tastey, make a good session beer.

06-04-2005 07:30:49 | More by Luigi