1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fischer Tradition Amber - Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace

Fischer Tradition AmberFischer Tradition Amber

poor

Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace visit their website
France

Euro Dark Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fischer Tradition Amber Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +32.9%

This beer does the fruity flavor very well. A glassy taste was the first thing I noticed, but it quickly went away.

The appearance is ultimately golden but it wants to be amber.

The head didn't last long but it covered the sides of my glass.

I'd say the first thing that comes to mind in describing the taste is apples. I don't know how or why, but... apples.

Altogether a delicately flavorful beer. And of course, a nod to the stylish bottle, which blasted me in the face when I loosened the top. It's lucky I didn't smash it, the piece o' crap....

2.6/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is an amber? Well its color said otherwise, it was a gold yellow and quite clear with a thinned out head of foam and bubbles that faded leaving hardly any lace. Smells of fresh grain and malt sort of flat and very faint with a bit of hop and grass note. Taste is empty, there's not much there, watered down, some detection of sweetish malts and grain. Feel is thin and watery. Passable, barley drinkable, disappointing to say the least.

2.73/5  rDev -6.5%

This looked quite good - a deep gold color with quite an attractive head that stayed around awhile.

The smell was not so impressive. There was a arid blandness that was overcomming all the other smells, the malt and the hops. It was strange. I question the freshness of the beer.

The taste was also not impressive. I could tell there were qualities in there that were respectible, but there, again, was an overpowering flavor, kind of a dustyness? i dont know.

The mouthfeel was quite good, though. It was nice and rich in the mouth. Well carbonated and it felt good going down.

I would like to try this one again, in France maybe, and free, after a tour or something. If i saw it on the shelf in america again, i would pass.

3.5/5  rDev +19.9%

This beer was as gold as it gets. I’m not talking about yellow gold, but a brilliant gold flecked with orange. The beer had a bright white head marred by some very large bubbles. Noticeable grassy hops, some butterscotch, and something sweet and sour. I’ll call it green apple or cherry candy for the lack of something better. Nice lager malt flavor and a dry finish made even dryer from acidity, astringency, and alcohol. Hops are sure and steady and counter the potential awkwardness (not imbalance, awkwardness) that would exist without them. As the beer warms a very tiny amount of toasted malt comes out. Carbonation and body were very fitting for this beer.

I’ve had other Fischer beers, but none that I remember that well. This is exactly what I would expect from Alsace. I am a huge fan of the wines, but this beer would pair very well with the regional cuisine.

2.25/5  rDev -22.9%

As it sets in the glass a crystal clear amber color, the head quite large and frothy, bright white in color and as it desiccates; a fine covering lace is formed. Nose is mostly malt, crisp and clean, the start is somewhat sweet and malt laden, top is skeletal in it feel to the palate. Finish has a mild carbonation, the hops apropos to the style, droughty aftertaste, can’t say this beer does much for me.

2.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Saw it in the store a few times and thought I would give it a try (not big on buying anything French right now).Kind of a lighter shade of amber with good head that kept some lace,smell was very pungent and irony with some skunyness to it.Tast was mellow and some what fruity but still a little pungent.Didnt like this one to much let the French stick to wine,although there are a few good French beers out there.

3.05/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance = as the name implies, it's amber. Dark amber, thick longlasting head.

Nose = light hops

Taste = Hops, some bitterness, medium carbonation. First taste seemed 'sour', but this bottle may be too old. Willing to try it again.

Looks good and went well enough with dinner, but not really exciting. I'll try it again but so far I prefer their Bitter.

3.5/5  rDev +19.9%

This beer pours a clear medium dark reddish golden color with a large rocky white head and a medium mouthfeel. The smell is spicy and fresh leafy herbal. The taste is acidic and astringent causing a sharpness on the tongue with a slight hoppy finish. I found this beer to be suprisingly complex-perhaps a flemish red ale connection?

2.8/5  rDev -4.1%

When I first poured this brew, it formed a medium head with a mixture of large and small bubbles. It poured a clear light amber/orange color with minimal lacing. I could not place the aroma, but I did notice that it was slightly "off" somehow. Initially, it tasted a bit offensive. It was a taste of carbonation rolling off my tongue with little fore or after taste. It was just "off". Not a recommended brew.

2.83/5  rDev -3.1%

This brew pours a clear amber color with a rocky mountain head that leaves the scene quickly, leaving a nice lace behind. A strong hop aroma is spilling out from the glass, but there is not a strong malt aroma. The flavor is very watered down which is not very good. I am not happy about this one, there is no taste in this beer. The flip top bottle was cool I only wish the beer was just as cool.

Cheers

3.03/5  rDev +3.8%

Never really heard of this one before I saw it in the store one day... and I'd have to say I'm really no better or worse off for having known it! :)

It pours a very nice golden-amber color, with a pretty thick head.. a very appealing looking beer. From there on out it was pretty average down the line. Respectable taste that almost makes it hard to remember only because it fits so comfortably in the average category that it's taste doesn't stick out in your memory.

Bottom line: If someone hands you one, thanks them for the good lager, but if you're shopping on your own you can probably find something more distinctive!

3.5/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A clear, reddish-golden, medium dark French Amber Ale, with a large, rocky, white head. The smell is herbal and sweet, with a hint of spice. The taste has an acidic beginning followed by a smooth sweetness. The body is somewhat "medium" and flat in my mouth. Overall I was surprised by the taste, and it was a bit flat, but I Iiked it...drinkable. I did notice though, as it warmed up I liked it less, it started to become a bit vinegary.

(source: Savannah, GA)

4.13/5  rDev +41.4%

Head stays put various bubbles like a Swiss cheese falling away to lace on the glass. The color is cherry amber. The nose is very week but has distinct hops and a hint of malt. The flavor is nearly exceptional. Effervescences is little tiny bubbles that continuously stream throughout the beer. The Malt is a mixture of fruity notes with champagne like taste in the undertones. The palate is pleased and satisfied. There is nearly no aftertaste what so ever. 99.9% clean. I used to believe the French should stick to wine the 1st time I tried Fischer. That must have been an old batch. I am very pleased and will definitely buy this one again (I should have bought more - Mentally kicking myself).

4.2/5  rDev +43.8%

Boy, compared to other reviews it seems like we are drinking different beers. I like this beer quite a bit. Aroma had a nice mix with a full malt aroma followed by a nice European hop aroma. Really a nice aroma. Poured with a big full head, nice amber color and clear. Nice lacing, even on repours. Taste is lighter overall, especially initially (gets heavier later) and compared to the aroma. Mostly malty and nice hops for balancing, yet becomes more complex as consummed. The taste moves to a little dryness, then even goes to some bitterness. Has a sense of richness without being heavy. Some hard water qualities too. Seems like a fairly complex beer for a lager. Thinner to medium mouthfeel, yet richness makes it seem fuller. Lighter carbonation overall. Even with the richness and complexity still a easy drinking beer if need be, or could be a slower drinker too. Refreshing qualities of a lager. And finally the bottle offers a good resource for home brewers. This beer was easily worth the money spent.

3.85/5  rDev +31.8%

The way I remembered Grolsch as a teenager. The swing cap makes for a good reseal, but hey, who's resealing? Poured a nice light amber color, had a refined hops taste, but the sweetness was still there. Not my kind of style, but still very drinkable. I'd hate to drink too much of this, it must taste terrible coming up.

2.05/5  rDev -29.8%

Dull golden bodied. Eruptive pure white sticks around. If nothing else, Fischer has mastered head retention.
Hay, must and rubber on the nose.
Basically a lightly toasted version of the bitter. I had them back to back, and there is not a whole lot of difference. The amber displays the same lemon/lime sourness, but to a lesser degree. Filling the void is some slight toastedness. No real caramel or vienna maltiness. Rubber seems to be Fischer's trademark flavor, and it shows up here again. Alcohol brings some sticky sweetness. It is way too perceived for a brew of this size. Slightly grainy, rustic hops finish this one off....finally.
Medium bodied, but lightly sticky and not all that pleasant in the mouth.
A great big "boo" to Fischer. Unless I need a flip top 22oz bottle, I doubt I'll ever buy anything from them again.

2.38/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a clear light amber/orange with a large white head that leaves a nice lace down the glass. The aroma is quite unusual for a pale ale as I am picking up a sweet grape smell. Although not unpleasant, it is quite unexpected! Woah! Okay the grapes are still included in the taste too. Very strange! It is like a beer-wine hybrid. I'll try to explain the taste but I fear I cannot do it justice. Mostly white grape flavored with dominant alcohol on the tail with very light hops. This is one weird brew! I dunno about this one! A votre sante!

1.93/5  rDev -33.9%

nice amber color with an impressive foamy head and lots of lace. smells odd...i interpret it as a grape/white wine aroma that doesn't belong in beer. tastes sour...more of that winey taste overpowers the underlying caramel malt base. not enjoyable. hops? i can't tell...there is some sort of bitterness that i suppose is a hop bite in the end. the only reason i drank the whole 24 oz bottle is because i really was trying to figure out what the hell i was tasting. cool flip top bottle...bad beer. YUK!

3.35/5  rDev +14.7%

It has golden, dark straw color to it. The smell is aromatic with a nutty flavor and minimal hops. It has a decent taste much better than most malt liqours I usually drink. It has a caramel flavor that stands out on my tongue. The mouthfeel is just okay but the drinkability is better and makes it a very smooth drink. This is just an average brew with really cool packaging. I like it just okay but probably won't get it again, unless there are some unforeseen circumstances.

1.95/5  rDev -33.2%

Medium brown/golden color with a good 1/2 inch head with character. Husky smell, a little nut and a little sulfur. Seedy flavor, seriously strays toward papery (some reminders of that paste some kids ate in First Grade). Some metallics as well. Light mouthfeel and a bit of a dry finish with some lime. This brew is pretty dang foul, I had to struggle to finish the second glass. At least it comes in singles, but a swing top only has limited amusement value when faced with this mixture of wheat paste and mostly dried rubber cement.

1.88/5  rDev -35.6%

This beer pours a very nice amber with a chunky off-white head. The smell is sweet-apple… something. The taste kills this beer for me. I hate ciders and this tastes way too much like a cider. Way to freaking sweet! It is smooth but once the taste hits… yuck! I did not care for this at all and I will struggle to finish this beer.

If this beer is flawed (and maybe it is) I doubt if I will ever find out because this beer was crap. Way to go France!

This rating is inflated based on its look!

1.83/5  rDev -37.3%

Fischer Amber From France: In a cool flip top bottle. It is too bad the beer doesn’t come close to living up to the packaging. The aroma is very sweet. The beer tastes more like cider than an amber brew, and is cloyingly sweet. Truly awful, and as it warmed up, it got worse. Bad.

2.2/5  rDev -24.7%

Clear and bright amber beer with a massive froth of a creamy ass head that sticks and stays. Metallic in the nose with wet paper aromas -- why me?

Wet paper carries over to the flavour, which leads me to believe that my sample is tainted with some minor oxidation. Sucks, but we move on ... malt flavours are grainy, barely sweet, but there's some fruity flavours that attempt to meld with the citric hop flavours that seems a bit contrived. Again, I'm disappointed. Mouthfeel is smooth-ish, body is light. Finish is clean with some residual grain flavours and a coarse leftovers on the palate.

There's too many beers in the world to waste your time with this one. Cool flip-top ceramic bottle though, but unfortunately that does not make a beer.

2.8/5  rDev -4.1%

Bright amber in color with a very clear look and a lasting white head and lace. The nose was very musty traditional beer smell. Malty smooth mouth and taste but with a slightlt metalic/cardboard/tin finish. This brew has great mouthfeel but there is nothing at all special in the flavor. I was quite dissapointed in relation to the other posted reviews.. maybe I got a bad one...? The bottle (flip top and church imprinted) was better than the brew.

4.13/5  rDev +41.4%

This is my first french beer and I was expecting something alittle lighter tasting. Dark amber with a thick white head that left thick lace down the sides of the glass. Sweet malt and a even hopiness with a clean/dry ending. The champagne like pop of the stopper added to the novelty of trying this beer.

Fischer Tradition Amber from Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace