Fischer Tradition Amber - Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace

Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace visit their website
France

Euro Dark Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fischer Tradition Amber Alström Bros
firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last
4.22/5  rDev +47.6%

Boy, compared to other reviews it seems like we are drinking different beers. I like this beer quite a bit. Aroma had a nice mix with a full malt aroma followed by a nice European hop aroma. Really a nice aroma. Poured with a big full head, nice amber color and clear. Nice lacing, even on repours. Taste is lighter overall, especially initially (gets heavier later) and compared to the aroma. Mostly malty and nice hops for balancing, yet becomes more complex as consummed. The taste moves to a little dryness, then even goes to some bitterness. Has a sense of richness without being heavy. Some hard water qualities too. Seems like a fairly complex beer for a lager. Thinner to medium mouthfeel, yet richness makes it seem fuller. Lighter carbonation overall. Even with the richness and complexity still a easy drinking beer if need be, or could be a slower drinker too. Refreshing qualities of a lager. And finally the bottle offers a good resource for home brewers. This beer was easily worth the money spent. (1,013 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +34.6%

The way I remembered Grolsch as a teenager. The swing cap makes for a good reseal, but hey, who's resealing? Poured a nice light amber color, had a refined hops taste, but the sweetness was still there. Not my kind of style, but still very drinkable. I'd hate to drink too much of this, it must taste terrible coming up. (320 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -28%

Dull golden bodied. Eruptive pure white sticks around. If nothing else, Fischer has mastered head retention.
Hay, must and rubber on the nose.
Basically a lightly toasted version of the bitter. I had them back to back, and there is not a whole lot of difference. The amber displays the same lemon/lime sourness, but to a lesser degree. Filling the void is some slight toastedness. No real caramel or vienna maltiness. Rubber seems to be Fischer's trademark flavor, and it shows up here again. Alcohol brings some sticky sweetness. It is way too perceived for a brew of this size. Slightly grainy, rustic hops finish this one off....finally.
Medium bodied, but lightly sticky and not all that pleasant in the mouth.
A great big "boo" to Fischer. Unless I need a flip top 22oz bottle, I doubt I'll ever buy anything from them again. (835 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a clear light amber/orange with a large white head that leaves a nice lace down the glass. The aroma is quite unusual for a pale ale as I am picking up a sweet grape smell. Although not unpleasant, it is quite unexpected! Woah! Okay the grapes are still included in the taste too. Very strange! It is like a beer-wine hybrid. I'll try to explain the taste but I fear I cannot do it justice. Mostly white grape flavored with dominant alcohol on the tail with very light hops. This is one weird brew! I dunno about this one! A votre sante! (543 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -31.1%

nice amber color with an impressive foamy head and lots of lace. smells odd...i interpret it as a grape/white wine aroma that doesn't belong in beer. tastes sour...more of that winey taste overpowers the underlying caramel malt base. not enjoyable. hops? i can't tell...there is some sort of bitterness that i suppose is a hop bite in the end. the only reason i drank the whole 24 oz bottle is because i really was trying to figure out what the hell i was tasting. cool flip top bottle...bad beer. YUK! (510 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +17.8%

It has golden, dark straw color to it. The smell is aromatic with a nutty flavor and minimal hops. It has a decent taste much better than most malt liqours I usually drink. It has a caramel flavor that stands out on my tongue. The mouthfeel is just okay but the drinkability is better and makes it a very smooth drink. This is just an average brew with really cool packaging. I like it just okay but probably won't get it again, unless there are some unforeseen circumstances. (476 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -29.7%

Medium brown/golden color with a good 1/2 inch head with character. Husky smell, a little nut and a little sulfur. Seedy flavor, seriously strays toward papery (some reminders of that paste some kids ate in First Grade). Some metallics as well. Light mouthfeel and a bit of a dry finish with some lime. This brew is pretty dang foul, I had to struggle to finish the second glass. At least it comes in singles, but a swing top only has limited amusement value when faced with this mixture of wheat paste and mostly dried rubber cement. (534 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -32.2%

This beer pours a very nice amber with a chunky off-white head. The smell is sweet-apple… something. The taste kills this beer for me. I hate ciders and this tastes way too much like a cider. Way to freaking sweet! It is smooth but once the taste hits… yuck! I did not care for this at all and I will struggle to finish this beer.

If this beer is flawed (and maybe it is) I doubt if I will ever find out because this beer was crap. Way to go France!

This rating is inflated based on its look! (507 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -34.3%

Fischer Amber From France: In a cool flip top bottle. It is too bad the beer doesn’t come close to living up to the packaging. The aroma is very sweet. The beer tastes more like cider than an amber brew, and is cloyingly sweet. Truly awful, and as it warmed up, it got worse. Bad. (290 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -22.4%

Clear and bright amber beer with a massive froth of a creamy ass head that sticks and stays. Metallic in the nose with wet paper aromas -- why me?

Wet paper carries over to the flavour, which leads me to believe that my sample is tainted with some minor oxidation. Sucks, but we move on ... malt flavours are grainy, barely sweet, but there's some fruity flavours that attempt to meld with the citric hop flavours that seems a bit contrived. Again, I'm disappointed. Mouthfeel is smooth-ish, body is light. Finish is clean with some residual grain flavours and a coarse leftovers on the palate.

There's too many beers in the world to waste your time with this one. Cool flip-top ceramic bottle though, but unfortunately that does not make a beer. (752 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -1.7%

Bright amber in color with a very clear look and a lasting white head and lace. The nose was very musty traditional beer smell. Malty smooth mouth and taste but with a slightlt metalic/cardboard/tin finish. This brew has great mouthfeel but there is nothing at all special in the flavor. I was quite dissapointed in relation to the other posted reviews.. maybe I got a bad one...? The bottle (flip top and church imprinted) was better than the brew. (454 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +44.4%

This is my first french beer and I was expecting something alittle lighter tasting. Dark amber with a thick white head that left thick lace down the sides of the glass. Sweet malt and a even hopiness with a clean/dry ending. The champagne like pop of the stopper added to the novelty of trying this beer. (304 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +11.9%

This beer holds a special place for me. It was one of the first non-American-macros I ever tried. I used to drink it at an upscale seafood restaurant my wife and I use to go to when we were engaged (man, that was over a decade ago). Upon revisiting this amber beverage, I found it to have a nice malt presence, with a lower-than-remembered hop finish. (354 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +28.7%

Presentation: 22 oz brown flip top with raised glass designs. No freshness date.

Appearance: Crystal clear tawny amber with a thick rocky head that holds up like a champ all the way down to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Subtle hoppy twang and lots of sweet grain in the nose with hints of apple peel and caramel.

Taste: Moderately bodied with a crisp biting carbonation that helps emphasize the hop bitterness. Clean palate and on the dry side. Mild cidery apple twang and a mouthful of clean grain are the forefront of this brew. Hops linger with the amongst the apple like fruitiness far into the finish.

Notes: A good brew to wash down nearly any kind of cuisine or even to drink as a session brew. A flavourful lager to experience, glad I had a chance to. Flavours are level and well formed, give this one a try. (830 characters)

firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last