Fischer Tradition Amber - Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace

poor

Brasserie Fischer / Fischer Biere d' Alsace visit their website
France

Euro Dark Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fischer Tradition Amber Alström Bros
2.17/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours clear light amber with a thick head that leaves generous lacing.

Smell is mild caramel malt anbd a hint of hops. Rather musty.

Taste is once again strangely musty. Sweetly malty with a hint of fruit and nut. A touch of grassy hop. Odd metalic finish that lingers.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and watery.

Not recommended. The flavors are disjointed and unappealing.

Blakaeris, Jun 17, 2006
1.23/5  rDev -57.9%

Poured into a Stella Artois glass.

A-First of all I couldn't get the damn bottle open, which has NEVER happened to me before, especially with a flip-top. After using the vise-grips to pry the stuck top, I "managed" to pour the beer into it's awaiting glass. There was no head...None. Zip. A few slow bubbles in the amber liquid suggested this was beer. Bad start.
S-Some sweetish malts....
T-Tastes like a shot of rum in a glass of water. Actually I'd rather drink that than this beer. Vague brown sugar notes. No hops. Disappointing dishwater comes to mind. Damn, this drink is the devil....not in a "Duvel" way, either....
M-The three bubbles I noticed when pouring were the only ones in this non-carbonated, water-like "beer"....worst mouthfeel, ever. Seriously...wet paper garbage...no redeeming qualities whatsoever...
D-Undrinkable. I dumped it. That (almost) never happens to me either....

CRUX: UNDRINKABLE LIQUID HERE. Lord knows how old this bottle is, but this is, hands down, the worst beer I've had in a long time, maybe ever....?? Jesus, what an ordeal!.... I got this cos it was only a buck, and it had the flip-top, which is usually a good sign, and not knowing anything, I took a chance....maybe now I'll learn that a flip-top doesn't =quality. Was the $1.00 worth the pleasure of writing this bad review? I'd say the point is moot.

After this beer, christ, I REALLY need a BEER...

soultrain, May 24, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -7.5%

From the flip-top 750ml. brown bottle pours a chesnut brown ale with a small, bubbly white head, that disappears quickly. Appears to have decent carbonation, and the lace is plentiful and sticky with this one.

Nutty, roasted malt nose that doesn't smell real sweet. In the backfield, green grassy hops finish the aroma.

Flavor is much the same, rather bland and non-descript. Kind of like an un-sweetend iced tea without the ice. Not much as far as flavor goes.

Medium body with an acidic, blunt mouthfeel, it doesn't taste bad, nor does it really taste good. Seems a bit weak for the ABV of 6% as stated.

Can't recommend this one...see for yourself.

scottoale, May 02, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

22 oz flip top bottle into a pint glass

I had remembered this beer as being much better than it was.

Poured a dull amber with a three finger thick bubble bath looking off white head that settled into a thin layer of foam with a decent amount of lacing sticking to the walls of the glass.

Smell of cheap apple juice, and wet paper with some slight sour notes in the back. The taste is sweet but pretty damn bland and watery and the mouthfeel is nothing to write home about. Very limp and uninspired. Some thing like Ballantine or PBR has more presence in the mouth than this does. A some what filmy feeling is left in the mouth with a bitter after taste

all in all not such a great beer and a real let down from what I had remembered it being

DaggerEyes, Apr 20, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -11%

Nice strong swoosh as the flip bottle opens, promising
Pours a very light amber with a 3" massive fluffy eggshell head. Fantastic head rentention and lacing, too bad the rest of the beer doesn't match up

Smell: Hints of pepper and wet cardboard, weird. Some smokiness

Taste; Sweet, slight smokiness& not much else

MF: Slight prickliness & thinness. Good carbonation

Not a quaffer, but drinkable. Trust me, you can do much worse (& rarely much better) when in france or the alsace region. I'd reccomend it to people who like a hint of smoke or a very noncomplex beer with 6% abv

russpowell, Mar 17, 2006
2.55/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful hazy honey colored body with a bountiful head that leaves plenty of lace

Smell: What an atrocious odor - smells like a urinal

Taste: A little sweet and caramelly, with an aftertaste that is reminiscent of the aroma

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and fizzy

Drinkability: Piss poor...drain pour; nice bottle; lousy beer

brentk56, Mar 16, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +31.8%

This is a delicious beer! First, it has a light, golden color with a long-lasting head. The Fischer has a fruity (maybe apple) smell that only gets better as the beer goes down.

As far as taste goes, it's very light, smooth, and the fruity aftertaste lingers. Feels great in the mouth and it is a very drinkable beer. I would definitely pick this up again!

JohnnyM2002, Mar 01, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured amber with white head. aroma malty, choc. molasses, orange. flavor white raisins, mettallic as it warmed tthe flavor just went away. a ok beer another that needs to be very cold. so make sure you have this very cold and you do not let it warm.

walleye, Feb 02, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -14.4%

I expected more from this beer when I poured it out. I guess you can't expect much when it was only $2.99 for a flip top bomber.
The beer poured out a nice reddish amber. It looked very much like an APA. It had a frothy head. The smell is more in line with a light beer. The taste is like a watered down and slightly skunked macro. The mouthfeel is off. By a mile. I have angered my taste buds. I would drink this again only if it was after last call and it was all I had. But they do get some points for the bottle I guess.

Enola, Jan 24, 2006
3.58/5  rDev +22.6%

Poured the 1pt, 6oz flip top bottle into a pint glass.

A--deep bronze/orange color, 1/2 head with impressive lacing around the entire rim. Head was gone in about 5 mins

S--somewhat smoky, sweet and nutty

T--a real surprise for me. Not near as heavy as I had expected. nice combo of flavor in the malts, but left a slight alkaline after taste in my mouth

M--smooth and light, which again surprised me based on its appearance

D--overall I enjoyed this beer. I would have this again, but couldn't have more than 2 in one sitting. The slight alkaline taste really threw me...I am going to try it again in a few months and re-review it in case there was something weird with this one.

hanco005, Jan 04, 2006
3.05/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours an amber body with a 1" head. Leaves impressive lacing. Smells downright corny, like Rolling Rock. Taste is better, corn is still there but there's an overriding malt sweetness.

Basically a simple macro lager taste but without any nasties that so many macros have. Wouldn't choose to drink it again because of the import price, but would consider a similar domestic brew.

tempest, Dec 31, 2005
1.95/5  rDev -33.2%

Pours out to a sparkingly clear light amber, forming a small off-white head with average retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is very similar to Heineken with my eyes closed...faint grassiness, floral hops, clean lager ferment, but with a touch of caramel and toffee. The mouthfeel is bright and crisp at first but finishes very ruddy with a twang of wet cardboard and some higher alcohols. Medium bodied. The taste begins with a nice blend of grassy hops and delicate pale malts, but is followed by greasy caramel, vegetable oil, and cardboard. The aftertaste is somewhat acrid and I feel a headache coming on from this one. Bitterness is mild.

I would pass on this one. It has promise but ends horriby. I don't think I'm going to be able to finish this bottle. Ugh.

Mitchster, Dec 09, 2005
1.15/5  rDev -60.6%

Picked up a 1pint 6 fl oz. flip top bottle at Country Store aboard Camp Pendleton, CA. This bottle looked interersting and was the only bottle I hadn't tried amongst the ever dwindeling selection.

Nice "POP!" when opening, that was the best part of this brew.

Pours a light amber with a thick froathy white head. Moderate carbonation.

Has a strange sour yeast scent to it, I'm not sure if it is supposed to smell this way but it is rather unpleasant, like rotten butthole.

Light on the palate with a slick texture. Light malt sweetness and a sour fruitiness to it. Maybe a faint spiciness. A slow sour bitterness like glue on the palate. It tastes better than it smells that's for sure. Struck out with this one. Good t hing I only purchased one bottle. Taste does not improve as it warms up it gets worse. Am I at a UConn kegger pounding Natty light? good God this is disgusting!

Don't let the bottle decieve you this beer sucks ass!

Cheers!

SteveO1231, Dec 04, 2005
2.4/5  rDev -17.8%

Oddly enough, I tried this beer as it was what the bartender and a couple of people recommended in this small bar that had a small selection of beers. When I said OK, let me have one, the bartender says "Good Choice, you are going to love it!" So much for that. The smell is not bad, kind of average, but not anything skunky, not anything out of the ordinary either. Then the taste...I couldn't figure out what it tasted like, REALLY plain, the bottle is the best thing about this beer. It is alot like water going down though, maybe that is a plus with 6%, you could be toasted if that is what your goal is. I try to enjoy my beer, but this is not that enjoyable. I don't recommend...

beeroclock, Nov 12, 2005
2.9/5  rDev -0.7%

Usually when I review a beer, I try to start with an open mind. Especially, I avoid reading the BA comments beforehand so that I can be objective. This time, I had already seen the reviews that pretty bluntly state that this beer doesn't measure up.

At any rate, the BA reviews got it right! This is a pretty mediocre brew. Basically, a macro with a little bit darker color.

The color is essentially a dark gold/pale brown, rather uninviting color. I thought the aroma was the best trait; hoppy-yeasty but not overpowering. The flavor is where this beer fails. Sort of thin, cidery lager with a bit of sour edge. Tiny bit of malt and hops in the aftertaste.

Frankly, I bought the beer mainly because of the cool, swing-top bottle.

joedon, Nov 10, 2005
2.08/5  rDev -28.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear orange golden color with a thick creamy white head made up of small bubbles. There are a few bubbles rising to maintain the head, but not that many. There is some lacing being left on the glass as I choke it down.

Aroma: Dry grainy aroma that has a noticeable skunky element to it. It smells oxidized with a pronounced papery smell to it. There is some hops in here, but it really doesn't help the whole presentation much.

Taste: Well, the flavor is a bit more pleasant than the aroma. The grainy malts rule the flavor profile a well. It is dry, but still maintains a bit of perceptible sweetness on the tongue after drinking. The skunk is not in the flavor as much as it is in the aroma. The finish is dry and chalky, and reminds me a bit of Maalox

Opinion: This is not my favorite beer by any means. I remembered not caring for it some time ago, but since my palate has developed a good bit since then, I figured I would give it another day in court. Well, the jury didn't deliberate more than a minute or so. I still don't like this beer, and I don't know if I am going to be able to finish my current glass...let alone the other half of the bottle. Hmmm...what a dilemma

SkeeterHawk, Nov 10, 2005
1.75/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Presented in a monstrous brown bottle sporting an embossed logo and poured into a standard pint glass. Had a clear dull brown color, sporadic carbonation and a rather foamy eggshell white head that left decent lace behind.
Nose has an odd carmelized veggie and soggy grain aroma that's really revolting. Ditto the taste having the stewed veg and soaked grain flavor with the added (unfortunately) dimensions of dirty apples stirred in butter. The feel was slick, medium-bodied and mildy carbonated, the best aspect of this otherwise horrid brew.
You'd have thought that, with the Germans spending so much time occupying France, the French would have picked up a thing or two about making good beer. Hmm, guess not. Steer clear of this nastiness.

Boilermaker88, Nov 09, 2005
2.65/5  rDev -9.2%

First off, the bottle looks cool. The raised design in the sides of it is a nice touch. The beer poured a pretty average-looking amber color, with about one finger worth of white head. There was a pretty good amount of carbonation present as well, with rising bubbles plainly visible. It smelled kind of sweet, a good smell, but not one I usually associate with beer. The beer tasted much like it smelled, kind of sweet, but somehow it managed to have a bitter taste at the same time, and seemed fairly watery. Quite bizzare. The mouthfeel was OK, a bit watery. As for drinkability, well I've certainly had worse beers, but I've also had far better ones too. I don't think I will be drinking this again, it just tasted so odd to me.

67cuda, Oct 05, 2005
3.15/5  rDev +7.9%

Fisher's Traditional Amber Ale comes in a large bottle with a ceramic stopper, ala Grolsch. Except that it's a brown bottle. And it's French. For you Americans that will instantly hate it for that, don't jump to conclusions. Althought the brewery is technically in France, that part of the country is pretty much in Germany anyway. I mean, it's beer, for Pete's sake. The French don't brew beer, they make whine. Did I spell that right? Heh, I thought it was cute.

So, Fischer Tradtional...Popping the top on this beer, I was immediately struck by the powerful aroma, right out of the bottle. I swear I sat and sniffed this beer for two minutes prior to tasting it. For its immediate assault on the nose, it has a delicate, fruity sweetness that is a pleasure to inhale. This beer is a very pale amber in colour, with a medium, white, foamy head that lasts quite well, and provides a little lacing on the glass. In terms of flavour, the tastebuds are well informed by the nose. As expected, this beer has a pleasant fruity sweetness, that is well balanced by a flowery hop finish. I enjoyed drinking this beer.

Rootdog316, Sep 26, 2005
2.25/5  rDev -22.9%

Talk about a disappointment, this is it. Usually when you look for a European craft beer I am enticed by the international presentation of the beer. Considering the lack of allegiance this beer has, I am not surprised I did not like it.

A- Trying to get a tan in Miami after spending half the winter in Vermont. Big head, but little character.

S&T Presented as a dark ale, I think not. Bourbon in color, but lacking the charisma.

M&D Awful. I couldn't wait to finish it so I'd be done.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Sep 20, 2005
3.03/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 1 pt, 6oz flip top bottle. Supposed to be a Euro DarkLager, says its a Amber Ale. Looks like a macro lager, light brown w/a touch of ruby around the edge. Probably the clearest beer I have ever seen with lots of rising bubbles. The head is very thin and white, but leaves nice rings of lace.

The smell is grassy with hints of buttery biscuit with a small bit of light malt. The taste is very mellow, with no hop flavor but a strong carbonated flavor. Not a bad beer, but, not much there.

abcsofbeer, Sep 10, 2005
2.93/5  rDev +0.3%

22oz fatt bottle with flip top cap. gotta give it a half point bump for the raised fischers logo on the sides and add in a frothy sticky head its slightly above average. Smelled some metallic right off the bat which never goes well with anything. Maybe my nostrils are sensative to this aroma because I detect it fairly often. Sweet grain dominate, some dark fruit very subtle though and a little dishwater in the background. Taste gets a little better, its sweet but nicely balanced, little sizzle that is welcomed in this brew. medium carbonation medium size bubbles, caught some nice warming effect for such a tame abv. maybe its just the damn blazing heat. This is borderline for me to reccomend but its worth a try at least.

DogFood11, Aug 27, 2005
3.28/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured a slightly cloudy moderate amber color with a nice head that lasted throughout the glass. smell is nutty and dark fruity. My first taste noted a distinct sourness that either got less or else I started to get used to it but then it seemed to get stronger as the beer warmed, so my score went from a 3 to a 4 and back to a 3 (very strange) Left a slightly dry taste which was neither overly good or bad. A strange beer, from my point of view, because I was confused about what I was drinking.

tgbljb, Aug 02, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a light chestnut brown with a white head that leaves huge lacing all over the place. Bubbles fly up at rapid speed.

Grainy grassy aroma.

Light grain on the palate at first, quick hit of oily bitterness and a touch of grass. Finishes mildly sweet and grainy. Overall wimpy, but that was to be expected. Noticeable alcohol in the finish.

Crisp light body with some carbonation here and there, average.

I wouldn't buy this again, but the bottle is awesome for homebrewing.

beersarang, Aug 01, 2005
2.9/5  rDev -0.7%

The color is pale amber with an average-sized, soapy head. The aroma is full of adjuncts with a smell, that for the first time since being a BA, I can identify as cooked vegetables. The taste starts with a simple macro beer bite, but soon more malt flavor comes into play and turns this beer's flavor profile around. The amber malt flavors aren't spectacular, but are good enough to knock this up to "average". Drinkability is pretty good, but I probably won't buy this again since I can do better for less money.

Gagnonsux, Jul 27, 2005