1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Birdserker Triple IPA - Black Raven Brewing Co.

Birdserker Triple IPABirdserker Triple IPA

pDev: 8%
Black Raven Brewing Co. visit their website
Washington, United States

(Beer added by: LiquidAmber on 02-22-2014)

BCross, Aug 23, 2014

shleepy, Jul 03, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

I am writing this review to point out one thing.

I don't agree with some of the reviews below that this beer has good amount of "malt". This is one of the hoppiest beers I have ever tasted without much malt backbone at all. It's almost to the point it's way too hoppy (and trust me I have had my share of top hoppy IPAs). I actually wish it had more maltiness to round out the beer.

Maybe this batch is different than previous ones.

It was just alright for me.

sukwonee, Jun 28, 2014

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

laminam, Apr 24, 2014

HoppySeb, Apr 10, 2014
4.44/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Paul or getting me this.
Began as a good but not extraordinary pour. Color didn't strike me as a DIPA or TIPA. Had a good clear but soft yellow appearance with a very nice head that dissipated as expected for a high octane beer.
Let's start with this. I chilled beer to @ 50 degrees since I didn't want a cold beer to start.
As chilled the beer was a bit quiet. No exceptional scent or taste.
What I thought was that I had a very well balanced and subtlety complex beer. There wasn't the big push. It was clear that this beer was either a bit soft or full of flavor but under the radar.
Overall, was a nice drinkable beer that didn't really catch your attention.

Then it sat a bit in the glass and moved to room temperature,

Wow! The flavors just leapt out of the glass. More like an English Barleywine than an IPA...the flavors just grew and exploded with a bit of warming. It didn't stale...it rounded and matured.
There was a caramelized aftertaste and an outstanding creamy mouth feel.

Not unlike the brewer's notes on the label...clearly this was a big beer...but TIPA, Barleywine , etc...unsure.

For me...Here to say...not sure...don't care. I do know that I would buy again, drink again, and definitely (but completely unexpectedly) put a few bottles down for awhile...

These guys know how to brew beer, and put me in line for a sixtel if it comes around again.

Very well done!

LumpkinBrews, Feb 27, 2014

strongaf, Feb 26, 2014
4.51/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Black Raven pint glass. Pours a light to medium golden amber with a fine half finger white head with great retention and lacing. Aroma of rich tropical fruits, bready and caramel malt, piney and citrus hops. Great flavor follows the aroma, dominated by piney hops and great stone and tropical fruit juice supported by caramel malt. The flavor seems to keep on building in the taste culminating in a piney hop and rich malt finish that is very satisfying. Good medium body with a pleasant creaminess. A very nicely made IIPA that is very well balanced; good assertive malt, flavorful hops that are hop forward but not mouth numbing (although they really do keep asserting themselves through the taste) and nice fruit flavors. Dangerously well covered ABV. One of those beers you want to keep tasting, but need to pace. An odd aspect of this is a very light golden appearance, much lighter than most triple IPAs I've seen. You wouldn't suspect what it is from the look, but it packs a punch. I bought my limit of two at the brewery and only the 30 mile round trip (and likely sold out status) deter me from getting a few more. Excellent imperial IPA. I hope they brew 10 times as much next year so it goes into distribution.

LiquidAmber, Feb 26, 2014

kevwcamp, Feb 22, 2014
Birdserker Triple IPA from Black Raven Brewing Co.