Follow our progress ...

Alaska Session Ale V1.1 | Black Raven Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by 510a on 03-05-2014

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 4
3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

on-tap @ black raven

I almost missed this one as I quickly glossed over the board and saw the word 'session' - as my eyes moved elsewhere I did a double take when I saw the labeled ABV. The previous review describes the beer well - a blended beer with dueling barrel components. This was good - lots of dark fruit, barrel notes, rich and flavorful. Mouthfeel lacks a little for me but overall an interesting taphouse find

4.39/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

If you look under the hood on this beauty you will find a very rare treat based off a rare BR stout and a highly coveted barley wine masterfully blended by the BR master brewers.
Great Grandfather Raven is used as a base beer and the Old Birdbrain BW was added to perfection. Wait there's more, the whole deal is then aged in some fine cognac barrels, the vintage and length in the barrel is unknown to me , but it produces one heck of a nice complement to the already belgian like fruitiness of the GGR.

Nose and taste is all kinds of boozy barrel fun from oaky bourbon to fruity cognac , then some cocoa and anise . It was a bit hot , but I like that in my barrel beers. Drinking this beer was an experience that I will not soon forget, until my next incredible beer that is. To anybody that loves big boozy stouts , Get Some!

Alaska Session Ale V1.1 from Black Raven Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.