Kentucky Coco Jones - Black Raven Brewing Co.

Kentucky Coco Jones
No picture uploaded.

Black Raven Brewing Co. visit their website
Washington, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: julian on 08-29-2011)
3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

ScreamForMe, Jun 10, 2012

beefandbean22, Nov 19, 2011

hopburster, Nov 17, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

Tried for the first time yesterday at I believe it's first release at the 2011 WA Brewer's Fest. Had in my W.A.B.L tasting GLASS (not plastic). Oh and this was my FIRST beer of the day and of the fest, so this is a fresh, untainted review.

A: Dark brown/mahogany with dark ruby highlights when held up to the light. Good amount of brown frothy head. I was hoping for a somewhat creamier, thicker viscous head, but still, very nice. 4

S: Well, I can get some coconut from this, but it's definitely not as strong and prominent as regular coco jones. I get a bit of oaky, woody alcohol (obviously from the Bourbon) and that's about it. I was expecting something a bit more in your face and not as subtle/muted. 3.5

T&M: Taste is also rather muted. I do mildly taste the coconut, but perhaps that's only because I know it's there? It's a little dryer than I remember coco jones being and a lot more carbonated. The taste of bourbon is noticeable but not overwhelming. 3/3

O: I was not sure what to expect from this beer when I saw it on the festival lineup. On one hand I was excited (because i LOVE coconut and coconut porters, and coco jones, and I also LOVE bourbon) but on the other hand, these 2 things did not seem to immediately spark my interest. I usually love bourbon barrel aged anything, but this is different and I kind of thought the mix might be hit or miss. I’m sure it can work, but this one I think is subpar for Black Raven. 3.5

julian, Aug 29, 2011
Kentucky Coco Jones from Black Raven Brewing Co.